Author Topic: Earning $117,000 is low income in the Bay Area  (Read 11517 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Earning $117,000 is low income in the Bay Area
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »
For many people it's more like the other way around. Many if not most well paying jobs are in major cities, such as New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Unless you want to spend half your lifetime commuting, you live within reasonable distance from your workplace.

In general, the total cost of living in San Francisco is 62.6% higher than the US average.
It's a wash.  You make more in the city but it's cheaper to live elsewhere.  Someone who's an accountant in NYC can move to Bumblefuck Iowa and live a higher lifestyle there even though he's making much less at a much smaller company.  His commute might be a 5 minute drive or walk to work, he has fresh air, no crime and less stress.  For someone used to living in NYC it would probably be torture though.  I have friends who grew up in large metropolitan areas and they are bored to death in small towns.  I grew up in a small town and have lived in large cities, small towns and rural areas so it doesn't matter to me.  I'd rather save the money and relax more now.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
Here is what 800 bucks a month gets you in Greenville SC. 

I see what you’re trying to do with the accent rug but for a gay man you got the short end of the decorating stick.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »
Not at all. Then again, respectable standards are subjective to the beholder.

"1"

Americans have a twisted sense of poverty.

It's not something inherent to americans thou. In my opinion, people seem to normalize luxuries.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Seems there are a lot of wealthy people here with a very high standard of living. America is the richest country in the world with one of the highest standard of living yet the average household income is just over 50 grand. Making 100 grand puts you in the top 20% of income owners in the richest country in the world.

What a blessed group we are to sneeze at the rest of the unwashed masses who have to suffer making less than a 100 grand a year.

Thank you for pointing this out.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »

It's not something inherent to americans thou. In my opinion, people seem to normalize luxuries.

Gratitude has been replaced by entitlement.

Live in a third world country for a month and then you will be kissing the ground of US soil.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »

Reality is relative. It's amusing to watch House Hunter shows on HGTV, with the home seeker's list of must haves and comments such as, "I'm not a fan of" and "complete gut job" being common and overused statement.

My wife and my first home purchase was a dump which was built in 1908. It took two weeks of cleaning it before we could move in. Fortunately, it is in a desirable neighborhood where slightly fixed up houses now sell for over $700,000. We paid $13,000. This is more than I can get for my late 70's suburban home with all the remodeling, upgrades and amenities I've put into it over the last 20 years. This house is also in a better neighborhood, but one that is around 10 more miles from downtown Portland. It's all about the commute around here these days. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 02:45:23 AM »
Having lived in Albion, MI and Tiffin, OH when I was a kid, left me with fond memories of small town living, which I hoped to regain as an adult. Something always stood in the way of my accomplishing this goal. Now I am old, perhaps too old to go back.

http://www.cityofalbionmi.gov

Downtown Tiffin

Aunt Ruth's house as it looks today is a couple of blocks from the hub of Tiffin, OH

I have friends who went to Tiffin and Heidelberg Universities.  Didn't know you grew up in the midwest.

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »
Seems there are a lot of wealthy people here with a very high standard of living. America is the richest country in the world with one of the highest standard of living yet the average household income is just over 50 grand. Making 100 grand puts you in the top 20% of income owners in the richest country in the world.

What a blessed group we are to sneeze at the rest of the unwashed masses who have to suffer making less than a 100 grand a year.

true , it's a warped view of reality

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »
XFACTOR, before you criticize Goodrum further, please acknowledge that he has some qualities and achievements that your money can't buy:

- kielbasa slinger
- homewrecker
- YouTube diva
- car auction connoisseur
- business mentor
- coupon clipping charlatan

:D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
I've been to that monument.  Are you happy you were kidnapped and sent out west?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
I've been to that monument.  Are you happy you were kidnapped and sent out west?

I learned to adjust to change from an early age. I am happy with pretty much everything I've experienced in the last 74 years. I feel bad for people who let a dysfunctional upbringing upset their lives. Anyway, the beaches in Southern California are great!  ;) This 'kidnapping' was an adventure that included taking the train to Detroit, then to New Jersey and continued with a 10 hour flight to California. Back in the day, airplanes had to refuel fairly often.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
I miss living in the western U.S. but family and most friends keep me here for now.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »
You go where you can find work or you can make money.

Those long commutes are bad but some people do it so their kids can attend better schools and grow up in better areas.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »
117k is garbage anywhere.

If 117K is garbage I would be interested to know how much you would need to live comfortably. What do you think one would have to pay for typical monthly expenses: rent/mortgage, food, car payment, electricity, everyday upkeep and repairs, miscellaneous....

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
And my current place with a 561 dollar a month mortgage and insurance.

Great set up you have there, Vince. If I was living alone I'd definitely be happy in a place like that. And for less than $600/month... I'd be a rich man.

BTW, where do you find those food containers? Are they reusuable? They look like they might melt in the micro? How come you don't use the traditional Tupperware type of containers?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »

Those long commutes are bad but some people do it so their kids can attend better schools and grow up in better areas.

Yeah but there are good schools in small towns as well.  With the internet there is no excuse for not being educated no matter how bad the school.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »
If 117K is garbage I would be interested to know how much you would need to live comfortably. What do you think one would have to pay for typical monthly expenses: rent/mortgage, food, car payment, electricity, everyday upkeep and repairs, miscellaneous....

First you have to define comfortably, which is relative and therefore varies from person to person. For me, it means having enough income to maintain my current lifestyle. Without doubt, I could learn to be comfortable on less. If I had more, I could adjust to that too.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
Yeah but there are good schools in small towns as well.  With the internet there is no excuse for not being educated no matter how bad the school.

When I lived in Albion, MI, my cousins and I attended a one room elementary school. -Not sure about the quality of the education, but I have great admiration for the teacher's ability to instruct students in several grades at once and in one place. Socially, being around kids of varying ages was ideal. That school is closed. Today, it is used as a bunkhouse for farmhands.

The next school I attended was Beverly Vista in Beverly Hills, CA. They wanted to put me back a grade when my mom enrolled me. She refused to allow it. I did fine. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »
Great set up you have there, Vince. If I was living alone I'd definitely be happy in a place like that. And for less than $600/month... I'd be a rich man.

BTW, where do you find those food containers? Are they reusuable? They look like they might melt in the micro? How come you don't use the traditional Tupperware type of containers?

I got them on Amazon, very inexpensive and was made specifically for the microwave.  I buy a new set every 6 months.   
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
Honestly, you guys can make all the arguments you want advocating for New York City, LA, etc....yes it may be the most exciting places to live but the fact is that it means shit if the vast majority of people who live there have a piss poor quality of life.  

You have to work 2 jobs in order just to "make it" in New York and after working 60 hours a week,  the people there are so tired that they spend their free time resting up for their next shift at work.  The worse part is with all the money being spent on just paying bills, most of them have very little to no savings and life paycheck to paycheck.  Thanks to living in Greenville, I put a lot of money away in savings and I only work as much as I want to work.

Fashion??  LOL.   When I was there, I never saw so many people wearing and carrying fake shit.   Fake Nikes, Fake Gucci Bags, Fake Watches, Fake Socks, Fake Hats, Fake Sunglasses, etc.   The whole place is a fucking fraud.   I had a friend over one time and they complimented me on my Movado watch and immediately said it was a great looking replica....which I had to reply that it was great looking because its a real Movado watch.   They don't even know what a real shit looks like.

Food???   What you can get in New York, you can get anywhere especially in Greenville, SC.   I just got home from eating out at Ruth Chris Steakhouse.   Had a nice aged ribeye, salad with Roquefort dressing, Merlot, and a French Pressed Coffee....didn't even have to make reservations.  It may not be Dorsi but there's plenty of great places to eat in Greenville, SC and people are not limited to just the fucking Olive Garden.   Of course, other than that nasty ass 1 dollar pizza, most people in New York eat at home because they can't afford to eat out and because they don't have time to wait 2 hours at a Whole Foods, they end up getting their food from a convenience store.....SAD!!!

Transportation???   I cruise the highways in my Cadillac listening to great music on my Bose system.   I go where I want and when I want.  I don't have to worry about a Subway system or walk a bunch of blocks although if I lived in New York, I would be on a bike.   However, given the elements its a shitty way to get around.  

Entertainment....Ok I'll give New York the win on that...simply can't beat it.  However its not boring in Greenville, SC.   There are plenty of art galleries here, I can go to the Peace Center to watch any theatre productions and after the club closes, I'll usually head over a house gathering where the socializing can continue.  We get by around here pretty well.  

Sorry folks, but while I enjoy visiting New York...I definitely would never live there regardless as to who is mayor.  

A

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »
First you have to define comfortably, which is relative and therefore varies from person to person. For me, it means having enough income to maintain my current lifestyle. Without doubt, I could learn to be comfortable on less. If I had more, I could adjust to that too.

No need to over analyze. No matter what we have we always want more. I'm talking about being comfortable. Why do I need to define that? Are you hungry? Thirsty? Cold? Hot? If you were hungry, Goodrum's tilapia and broccoli might not be as "comfortable " as lobster dripping in butter but would it make you "uncomfortable"? Would you feel deprived? If I had to drink only cold water for the rest of my life, sure I would miss out of some great drinks, but would I feel "uncomfortable"?

Don't conflate luxuries with necessities. My Ford Truck can get me anywhere that a Maybach with pretty much the same level of comfort. Certainly not status. But my ass can't really tell much of the difference the car seat. Certainly not enough where I feel deprived or uncomfortable. In fact, my Ford would probably feel more comfortable initially since it has my permanent ass print from the years of sitting in it.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2018, 10:05:38 PM »
I got them on Amazon, very inexpensive and was made specifically for the microwave.  I buy a new set every 6 months.   

I got to start hitting you up more on where to great the good deal on various items. You're a master at not wasting money when you don't have to.

What are those type of containers called?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2018, 12:15:25 AM »
Honestly, you guys can make all the arguments you want advocating for New York City, LA, etc....yes it may be the most exciting places to live but the fact is that it means shit if the vast majority of people who live there have a piss poor quality of life.  

You have to work 2 jobs in order just to "make it" in New York and after working 60 hours a week,  the people there are so tired that they spend their free time resting up for their next shift at work.  The worse part is with all the money being spent on just paying bills, most of them have very little to no savings and life paycheck to paycheck.  Thanks to living in Greenville, I put a lot of money away in savings and I only work as much as I want to work.

Fashion??  LOL.   When I was there, I never saw so many people wearing and carrying fake shit.   Fake Nikes, Fake Gucci Bags, Fake Watches, Fake Socks, Fake Hats, Fake Sunglasses, etc.   The whole place is a fucking fraud.   I had a friend over one time and they complimented me on my Movado watch and immediately said it was a great looking replica....which I had to reply that it was great looking because its a real Movado watch.   They don't even know what a real shit looks like.

Food???   What you can get in New York, you can get anywhere especially in Greenville, SC.   I just got home from eating out at Ruth Chris Steakhouse.   Had a nice aged ribeye, salad with Roquefort dressing, Merlot, and a French Pressed Coffee....didn't even have to make reservations.  It may not be Dorsi but there's plenty of great places to eat in Greenville, SC and people are not limited to just the fucking Olive Garden.   Of course, other than that nasty ass 1 dollar pizza, most people in New York eat at home because they can't afford to eat out and because they don't have time to wait 2 hours at a Whole Foods, they end up getting their food from a convenience store.....SAD!!!

Transportation???   I cruise the highways in my Cadillac listening to great music on my Bose system.   I go where I want and when I want.  I don't have to worry about a Subway system or walk a bunch of blocks although if I lived in New York, I would be on a bike.   However, given the elements its a shitty way to get around.  

Entertainment....Ok I'll give New York the win on that...simply can't beat it.  However its not boring in Greenville, SC.   There are plenty of art galleries here, I can go to the Peace Center to watch any theatre productions and after the club closes, I'll usually head over a house gathering where the socializing can continue.  We get by around here pretty well.  

Sorry folks, but while I enjoy visiting New York...I definitely would never live there regardless as to who is mayor.  

Yes you seem to have it good in in Greenville. Whether or not living in New York City is good depends on how much money you have. The people and situations you've exampled are just that, examples which represent some people, but not all.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »
No need to over analyze. No matter what we have we always want more. I'm talking about being comfortable. Why do I need to define that? Are you hungry? Thirsty? Cold? Hot? If you were hungry, Goodrum's tilapia and broccoli might not be as "comfortable " as lobster dripping in butter but would it make you "uncomfortable"? Would you feel deprived? If I had to drink only cold water for the rest of my life, sure I would miss out of some great drinks, but would I feel "uncomfortable"?

Don't conflate luxuries with necessities. My Ford Truck can get me anywhere that a Maybach with pretty much the same level of comfort. Certainly not status. But my ass can't really tell much of the difference the car seat. Certainly not enough where I feel deprived or uncomfortable. In fact, my Ford would probably feel more comfortable initially since it has my permanent ass print from the years of sitting in it.

Perhaps you have a different definition of the adverb comfortably than is found in the dictionary. Adequately might be a better choice.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »

I've been lucky to have commutes which were less than 15 minutes in a car or about 20 minutes when I road my bike.