Author Topic: Can you see God  (Read 30975 times)

parm

• Getbig I
Can you see God
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »
As the title. Does anyone think that you can actually see God, listen to god and talk to god? Just as you would to a normal person?

parm

• Getbig I
Re: Can you see God
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »
160 odd views and no replys!

Some of you must be very strong in your faith, is there no one that believes you can meet God in this lifetime?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:18:36 AM »
Never seen or heard from him/her.

I've talked to him but he never talked back.

About the same as talking to a rock, except you can see the rock and touch it.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »
Yes. I know folks that have.  I haven't heard an audible voice but my father and others have.  I've felt the very tangible powerful presence of the Holy Spirit many times.  Also witnessed the demonic as well....not fun. God speaks through his written word....a living, unchanging document of God.  Scriptural discernment is not for the world of God suppressors though.....gotta join the club

parm

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
Yes. I know folks that have.  I haven't heard an audible voice but my father and others have.  I've felt the very tangible powerful presence of the Holy Spirit many times.  Also witnessed the demonic as well....not fun. God speaks through his written word....a living, unchanging document of God.  Scriptural discernment is not for the world of God suppressors though.....gotta join the club

Can you expand on what you mean when you say god speaks through his written word? Also reading some threads here and it seems that in Christianity it says god cannot be seen as you would be blinded by the light. Is that true? I could be wrong or may have interpreted it wrong.

parm

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Never seen or heard from him/her.

I've talked to him but he never talked back.

About the same as talking to a rock, except you can see the rock and touch it.

Depends how badly you want him to talk back i guess as its certainly possible.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Depends how badly you want him to talk back i guess as its certainly possible.

Just wish really hard, bro.

If you don't get results then wish harder.

If you still don't get results then you are damned.

Too bad for you.

Try a different god.  Maybe you'll have better luck.  Vishnu, Thor, Jupiter, Baal, Tom Cruise, Magic 8-Ball, the Muslim god, the Jewish god, one of those Hindu gods with the elephant's head, etc.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »
I wouldn't recogize God if I saw God. What does God look like? Anybody know?

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »

He's the bright white light everyone talks about when they die...

You die and meet God... then its decided by your own guilt or lack thereof where you end up...

Don't have to believe me now... just mark the day/time I said it and realize I was right when it eventually happens.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 10:33:29 PM »
He's the bright white light everyone talks about when they die...

You die and meet God... then its decided by your own guilt or lack thereof where you end up...

Don't have to believe me now... just mark the day/time I said it and realize I was right when it eventually happens.

The Bible says you can't see God and the Bible says you will. So, which is it?

Let’s put the texts he refers to and a few others in front of us and then see if we can answer the question.

1 Timothy 6:15–17, “He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion.”

1 Timothy 1:17, “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory.”

1 John 4:12, “No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us.”

Exodus 33:20, “He [God] said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.’”

Deuteronomy 4:12, “Then the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice.”

That is one side. You can’t see him.

Now, here is the other side:

Matthew 5:8, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”

Genesis 32:30, “Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, ‘For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered [or spared].’”

Job 19:26–27, “And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another.”

As for the bright white light, here is what one person says about it. Sooo clinical.

Geelong-based neurologist Dr Cameron Shaw dissected the brain of a woman donated to Deakin University, in an attempt to find out what she went through leading up to her death.

He said that the last 30 seconds of life can be divided up into 10-second intervals that help inform what would most likely be taking place inside the human brain.

WE LOSE OUR SENSE OF SELF

First, because the brain’s blood supply comes from underneath, the brain “tends to die from the top down, claiming our most human characteristics first,” Dr Cameron said.

“Our sense of self, our sense of humour, our ability to think ahead — that stuff all goes within the first 10 to 20 seconds. Then, as the wave of blood-starved brain cells spread out, our memories and language centres short out, until we’re left with just a core.”

He said there is likely a light at the end of the tunnel, but that the “out of body experience” is not real.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
God expresses his nature of divinity in a trinity of coequal, coeternal yet differently purposed persons in Father, Son and Spirit.  The Son is at the right hand of the Father and the Father is visible to him.  All persons of the Trinity are one God.  Jesus Christ is the incarnate son meaning he took on flesh as a man.  His nature is therefore dual in divinity and humanity which we refer to as the hypostatic union.  Anytime God has been made visible in the Old or New Testaments it is Jesus we are seeing....God in flesh.  So he is both visible and invisible in his divinity.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »
God expresses his nature of divinity in a trinity of coequal, coeternal yet differently purposed persons in Father, Son and Spirit.  The Son is at the right hand of the Father and the Father is visible to him.  All persons of the Trinity are one God.  Jesus Christ is the incarnate son meaning he took on flesh as a man.  His nature is therefore dual in divinity and humanity which we refer to as the hypostatic union.  Anytime God has been made visible in the Old or New Testaments it is Jesus we are seeing....God in flesh.  So he is both visible and invisible in his divinity.

The Father also made “laws” for us that were impossible for us to follow and punished us by death. But because he loves us so, the Son (who, remember, is the same as the Father!) came to earth to die so that those who believe he was God got a “get out of hell” card. Meanwhile, the Spirit is all over the place, causing people to speak in tongues and handle snakes.

Let that all sink in.

God decides to punish us because he didn’t make us perfect but later changes his mind and rather than say “ok, let’s skip the punishment bit!” he sends himself down to be sacrificed so that he can appease himself and can, after death, intercede on behalf of believers by telling himself that they are good not because they were moral or decent people, but because they believed.

This stuff makes less sense than the StarWars prequel or sequel trilogies.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
The Father also made “laws” for us that were impossible for us to follow and punished us by death. But because he loves us so, the Son (who, remember, is the same as the Father!) came to earth to die so that those who believe he was God got a “get out of hell” card. Meanwhile, the Spirit is all over the place, causing people to speak in tongues and handle snakes.

Let that all sink in.

God decides to punish us because he didn’t make us perfect but later changes his mind and rather than say “ok, let’s skip the punishment bit!” he sends himself down to be sacrificed so that he can appease himself and can, after death, intercede on behalf of believers by telling himself that they are good not because they were moral or decent people, but because they believed.

Good one!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »

Let that all sink in.

Answered all this exhaustively in the past....feel free to consult old posts for a refresher or simply google any number of scholarly theological works from centuries past for similar yet more eloquent resolution.

As always you are very welcome!!

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »
Answered all this exhaustively in the past....feel free to consult old posts for a refresher or simply google any number of scholarly theological works from centuries past for similar yet more eloquent resolution.

No. No you haven’t. If you think you have, don’t just say you have. Simply link to the specific post of yours.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
As the title. Does anyone think that you can actually see God, listen to god and talk to god? Just as you would to a normal person?

No. 

parm

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 12:40:30 AM »
Appreciate the Christianity/Jesus view of the possibility of seeing God, but what about other faiths?

I’m from the Sikh faith. We believe it is not only possible but it our one and only purpose of the human life to meet God while still alive. No point seeing him after your dead, need to meet him while you’re alive.

Every step of how to get there is explained , can go into detail if anyone is interested. I dont know all the process as i havent got there yet but can definitely share what i know.

Btw, does the Bible or any other scripture of any other faith talk about chanting Gods name?

stingray

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
160 odd views and no replys!

Some of you must be very strong in your faith, is there no one that believes you can meet God in this lifetime?

Because nobody can meet god or see god in there lifetime.

Not even the prophets saw God when they where alive

parm

• Getbig I
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
Because nobody can meet god or see god in there lifetime.

Not even the prophets saw God when they where alive

That’s your opinion which is absolutely fine and you’re entitles to however it’s not fact. Not sure which profits you refer to however I personally know of people who have seen God. The method of how to get there is very clear, just takes a massive amount of hard work.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »

That’s your opinion which is absolutely fine and you’re entitles to however it’s not fact. Not sure which profits you refer to however I personally know of people who have seen God. The method of how to get there is very clear, just takes a massive amount of hard work.

I know people who believe they have seen God. More power to them. There's no reason to argue with this.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »

you never really answered it.. you responded. I doubt you'll see the difference. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 03:36:57 AM »

crypt

• Getbig I
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »

Let that all sink in.

Read Bible, Adam/Eve sinned, with that came death to all of us, you are a son/daughter of the first human beings, a descendant, and you have sinned (all of us...) but For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life...

So God gave a way out,,, read some Bible, you pick some stuff up...

crypt

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »

First, because the brain’s blood supply comes from underneath, the brain “tends to die from the top down, claiming our most human characteristics first,” Dr Cameron said.

“Our sense of self, our sense of humour, our ability to think ahead — that stuff all goes within the first 10 to 20 seconds. Then, as the wave of blood-starved brain cells spread out, our memories and language centres short out, until we’re left with just a core.”

He said there is likely a light at the end of the tunnel, but that the “out of body experience” is not real.

This man died, google him Ian McCormack.. so it was all in his head?,,, he saw God btw,,

BTW is it possible to see, or get a glimpse of God in nature? Or in man/woman, or in love etc?
Define see...

parm

• Getbig I
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 12:48:15 AM »
I define ‘see’ literally. You can see God like we see any other human in the world, we can sit and talk with him just as we would anyone else. It just takes an immense amount of work.

I believe Jesus was a great person however I dont believe in if you believe in Christ, you will be liberated/saved as that would mean confirming to one set of ideas and surrendering to a person. You are able to see God regardless of your religion, race, colour etc. To see God, believing in Christ is not important.