Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 648175 times)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #1000 on: May 10, 2024, 03:57:07 PM »
True, but you are posting Bible verses on a public message board, so it's not exactly a secret that you are reading the Bible.  Just wondering why.

The  quotation I posted above is an eloquently stated  warning of the danger of using the Bible / Gospel/ Torah / Quran/ Bhagavad Gita to justify ones own view
It is from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice
c

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #1001 on: May 10, 2024, 09:29:10 PM »
The  quotation I posted above is an eloquently stated  warning of the danger of using the Bible / Gospel/ Torah / Quran/ Bhagavad Gita to justify ones own view
It is from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice

I read Merchant of Venice many moons ago, but I couldn't recite a single line today.  If that's where it came from you should have just said that instead of trying to be cryptic. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1002 on: May 14, 2024, 09:39:16 PM »
True, but you are posting Bible verses on a public message board, so it's not exactly a secret that you are reading the Bible.  Just wondering why.

For me, I grew up in the bible belt. Was subjected to the bible from the time I could walk. I bought into it. Read the most popular verses over and over for years. Around 30 I started reading the bible cover to cover. After a couple times reading it cover to cover and comparing it to secular historians and science, I dropped the belief. But I personally am more familiar with the bible than I would say 80% of American Christians. Haven't read it in years, but don't rain on my parade if I quote it at times... as I know it pretty well

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #1003 on: May 14, 2024, 09:52:11 PM »
For me, I grew up in the bible belt. Was subjected to the bible from the time I could walk. I bought into it. Read the most popular verses over and over for years. Around 30 I started reading the bible cover to cover. After a couple times reading it cover to cover and comparing it to secular historians and science, I dropped the belief. But I personally am more familiar with the bible than I would say 80% of American Christians. Haven't read it in years, but don't rain on my parade if I quote it at times... as I know it pretty well

I would venture to say that the vast majority of Christians have not read the Bible "cover to cover," much less multiple times.

It is weird that reading the Bible caused you to walk away from Christianity, yet you spend a lot of time quoting or referencing the Bible.  It's almost as if you are trying to convert people to your atheist religion.  But that is a prevalent practice among proselytizing atheists. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1004 on: May 14, 2024, 10:23:44 PM »
I would venture to say that the vast majority of Christians have not read the Bible "cover to cover," much less multiple times.

It is weird that reading the Bible caused you to walk away from Christianity, yet you spend a lot of time quoting or referencing the Bible.  It's almost as if you are trying to convert people to your atheist religion.  But that is a prevalent practice among proselytizing atheists.

We both know you automatically take offense to anything I post. Having said that, no, I spend no time converting people to my non belief. I am concerned with remaining silent which allows the far right to push their religious agenda in courts which affects me. I will speak up on those occasions. I believe everyone has the right to believe what they want religion wise, as long as it doesn't impact me. That hasn't been the case so remaining silent is misinterpreted by the religious as we agree... we don't

on a personal note. I would not actively try and talk someone out of their belief in a god or gods. I was there. I understand it. But if faced with the argument, or subject matter, I won't remain silent. 

Its actually not weird... there is a popular bumper sticker out there that says "Atheist-Someone who has actually read the bible"... it's popular for a reason.