Author Topic: Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations  (Read 171499 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
PRISM scandal: Big Obama is watching you browse the web. Even Bush wasn't this power mad

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100220730/prism-scandal-big-obama-is-watching-you-browse-the-web-even-bush-wasnt-this-power-mad

By Tim Stanley US politics Last updated: June 7th, 2013

174 Comments Comment on this article

Internet companies deny helping the NSA to spy on customers

What next? We’ve had the IRS targeting conservative groups, journalists hounded by the state, the NSA collecting phone record data – and now it seems that the US government has been watching what you click on. According  to The Guardian and the The Washington Post, the NSA is monitoring internet traffic through Google, Facebook, YouTube, Skype, Yahoo etc. The programme even has a sci-fi sounding name that conjures up images of some 25th century dystopia: PRISM. Would it also surprise you to learn that the FBI, CIA and post office are controlled by a megalomaniac computer with the voice of Betty White? No, me neither.

There’s some dispute over the details. 1) Were the tech firms complicit in the data recording? The Post and the Guardian initially stated that they were, which all but two of the companies have subsequently denied. Nevertheless, some are pointing out that if they were involved they would be prevented by law from talking about it. 2) Did the US government effectively spy on people without a warrant? If it did, it would arguably be entitled to do so under the Protect America Act passed by Congress in 2007. 3) Director of National Intelligence James R Clapper insists that the press has misrepresented the programmes and that its reporting is effectively undermining anti-terrorism efforts. Although quite how the US government knowing that I’m addicted to watching videos of sneezing pandas on YouTube helps anti-terrorism efforts has yet to be explained.

No one is suggesting that this all began under Obama. Nixon had his dirty tricks, Teddy Kennedy was an enthusiast for wiretapping mobsters, and George W Bush’s administration created most of the apparatus currently being exploited by Obama’s. But we should reserve special anger for Big Barack for the following reasons:

1. He was for surveillance before he was against it. Obama opposed the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act during the 2008 primaries when he was trying to look all civil libertarian. Once he had the nomination in the bag, he was suddenly for it.

2. He’s a liberal and liberals aren’t supposed to do this sort of thing. That’s presumably why the New York Times – the New York Times! – has produced such a hurt-sounding op-ed stating that he’s “lost all credibility” on civil liberties.

3. Obama has broadened the scope of the Bush plan. Take phone record surveillance. Bush used it to unearth phone calls overseas with the specific goal of tackling terrorism – and when his misdeeds were exposed he created a new programme with judicial oversight to appease liberals. By contrast, Obama’s administration has been monitoring all Verizon domestic calls with an indiscrimination that is an abuse even of the authoritarian Patriot Act.

Finally, Michelle Malkin raises a very good question. On the one hand, Obama recently declared that the War on Terror was basically over. On the other hand, he has stepped up efforts to carry out domestic surveillance. So, why the contradiction? Malkin concludes that while it’s possible that the NSA has a counter-terrorism motive, its moral cause is undermined by the attacks on political enemies and the crazy scope of the snooping. Big government likes power – and it wants more.

LOL - he's a liberal and he's not living up to conservatives stereotypical assumptions of how a liberal is supposed to act

that is fucking hilarious

so far the only crime Obama seems to have committed is not acting like a liberal in the way that conservatives like to imagine that liberals should behave

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Snowden blew the whistle because he thought what the NSA was doing was unconstitutional. It remains to be seen, just because a "secret court" gave them the thumbs up does NOT mean what they were doibg was constitutional or ok.

This.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I hope he spends the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. 

Snowden breaks silence amid request for asylum in Russia, says he is "free and able" to continue leaking
Published July 01, 2013
FoxNews.com

NSA leaker Edward Snowden broke his weeklong silence Monday, defending his “right to seek asylum” while separately claiming he remains “free and able” to publish sensitive information on U.S. surveillance.

The statement came as it was reported Snowden was now seeking asylum in Russia, which says it will not grant him refuge unless he stops leaking.

In his statement issued on theWikiLeaks website, Snowden attacked the Obama administration, saying, “On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic ‘wheeling and dealing’ over my case. Yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

“This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me.”

Snowden added, “In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.”

Separately,  in a letter in Spanish sent by Snowden to Ecuador President Rafael Correa and obtained and translated by Britain's Press Association, he declared, "I remain free and able to publish information that serves the public interest. No matter how many more days my life contains, I remain dedicated to the fight for justice in this unequal world.”

It was the first known statement from Snowden since he flew out of Hong Kong into Moscow more than a week ago.

Since then, Snowden has been seeking asylum in Ecuador. But he also reportedly is seeking asylum in a number of other countries, including Russia.

The Interfax news agency quoted a Russian official on Monday as saying that Snowden's representative, Sarah Harrison, handed over his request for political asylum on Sunday.

Yet Russia's President Vladimir Putin publicly issued a condition for any asylum request from Snowden -- he must stop leaking America's secrets.

"If he wants to go somewhere and there are those who would take him, he is welcome to do so," Putin said. "If he wants to stay here, there is one condition: He must stop his activities aimed at inflicting damage on our American partners, no matter how strange it may sound coming from my lips."

Snowden’s letter to Ecuador gave no indication he plans to meet that condition, though the letter may have been sent before Putin’s comments.

Putin addressed the controversy as Obama, during a visit to Tanzania, reiterated that he's "hopeful" Russia will take up the United States' request for extradition.

"There have been high-level discussions with the Russians about trying to find a solution to the problem," Obama said.

Officials still believe Snowden is in the transit zone somewhere in the Moscow airport. He found his status even more in limbo late last week, after Ecuador revoked travel documents that WikiLeaks, which is aiding Snowden, got from a lower-level Ecuadorian official.

With the U.S. also revoking Snowden's passport, Snowden has no apparent way -- at the moment -- to leave the Moscow airport without risking arrest.

State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell, while saying he could not confirm Snowden's latest asylum request, reiterated that the U.S. can issue Snowden "one-entry travel documents" back to the United States, where he would presumably face the charges against him.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/01/snowden-breaks-silence-amid-request-for-asylum-in-russia-vows-to-continue/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

Dude is as close to pure evil as can be.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/glenn-greenwald-fox-news-world-shocked_n_3533536.html

Greenwald says a ton more is comin out that will be way worse than what has been revealed so far. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Egregious Cases Of US Government Employees Abusing Databases To Spy On Americans

Michael Kelley      Jul. 9, 2013, 1:52 PM       2,795    5 

inShare.6

 Email   
 More

Headphones NSA Spy
Gary Nichols via U.S. Military

See Also

Experts Destroy Obama's Argument That Americans Must Sacrifice Privacy For Security

America's Secret Spy Court Has Been Radically Expanding The Powers Of The NSA

Vice President Joe Biden Asked Perhaps The Most Important Question About NSA Domestic Spying In 2006
Ever since Edward Snowden blew the whistle on the National Security Agency's massive domestic spying apparatus, Americans have been told that the government collects virtually all U.S. electronic communications for our own safety.

That assertion — which has since been disputed by security experts and two senators on the intelligence committee — also implies that we should totally trust the government, its employees, and its contractors having access to reams of private information about their fellow Americans.

(One of Snowden's leaks revealed that NSA analysts are permitted to look at the content of messages, or listen to phone calls, based on loose rules and their own discretion.)

"The real problem comes with trust," NSA Whistleblower William Binney told USA Today. "It's not just the trust that you have to have in the government. It's the trust you have to have in the government employees, [that] they won't go in the database — they can see if their wife is cheating with the neighbor or something like that."

Here are few examples of what can happen when humans have access to massive databases of electronic data:

• In 2008 two former NSA analysts who worked at the NSA center in Fort Gordon, Georgia told ABC they and their coworkers had listened in on the personal phone calls of soldiers stationed overseas.

"Hey, check this out," one said he would be told, "there's good phone sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would say, 'Wow, this was crazy.'"

• NSA analyst Adrienne Kinne told ABC she listened to hundreds of private conversations between Americans, including many from the International Red Cross and Doctors without Borders.

• NSA whistleblower Russ Tice claims that he saw NSA orders to tap the phone of then-Senator Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Senators John McCain and Diane Feinstein, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, Gen. David Petraeus, and a current Supreme Court Justice.

"Outrageous abuses ... have happened, and it's all being kept hush hush," Tice told Business Insider.

• Michael Hayden, who was NSA director (1999 – 2005) when the first domestic spying programs began, corroborated Binney's claim when he told The Daily Beast that he remembered a collector who was fired for snooping on his ex-wife overseas.

• Tom Hays of The Associated Press reports there are "a batch of corruption cases in recent years against NYPD officers accused of abusing the FBI-operated National Crime Information Center database to cyber snoop on co-workers, tip off drug dealers, stage robberies and — most notoriously — scheme to abduct and eat women."

The National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database, which is maintained by the FBI and provides 9 million data points every day, can be accessed by 90,000 law enforcement agencies across the country.

Hays notes: "How often the database is used for unauthorized purposes is unclear."

In response to the AP report, Timothy B. Lee of The Washington Post writes: "These stories illustrate some of the kinds of misconduct that could occur with the NSA’s database of the nation’s phone calls."

Here's what Jonathon Turley, a constitutional law professor at George Washington University who has testified before Congress on the country's warrantless surveillance program, told ABC in 2008 after hearing the analysts' claims (emphasis ours): "This story is to surveillance law what Abu Ghraib was to prison law."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-nsa-can-abuse-data-on-americans-2013-7#ixzz2YeuMgmvu

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Germany nixes surveillance pact with US, Britain

By FRANK JORDANS
Associated Press

AP Photo
 AP Photo/Matthias Schrader

Technology Video

Buy AP Photo Reprints

Interactive

Berlin Wall: 20 Years Later 

BERLIN (AP) -- Germany canceled a Cold War-era surveillance pact with the United States and Britain on Friday in response to revelations by National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden about those countries' alleged electronic eavesdropping operations.

Chancellor Angela Merkel had raised the issue of alleged National Security Agency spying with President Barack Obama when he visited Berlin in June. But with weeks to go before national elections, opposition parties had demanded clarity about the extent to which her government knew of the intelligence gathering operations directed at Germany and German citizens.

Government officials have insisted that U.S. and British intelligence were never given permission to break Germany's strict privacy laws. But they conceded that an agreement dating back to the late 1960s gave the U.S., Britain and France the right to request German authorities to conduct surveillance operations within Germany to protect their troops stationed there.

"The cancellation of the administrative agreements, which we have pushed for in recent weeks, is a necessary and proper consequence of the recent debate about protecting personal privacy," Germany's Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said in a statement.

A German official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the cancellation would have no practical consequences.

He said the move was largely symbolic since the agreement had not been invoked since the end of the Cold War and would have no impact on current intelligence cooperation between Germany and its NATO allies. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to publicly discuss the issue, said Germany was currently in talks with France to cancel its part of the agreement as well.

In March 2011, two U.S. Air Force members were killed and two others wounded when a gunman from Kosovo fired on a military bus at Frankfurt International Airport. The gunman told police he was motivated by anger over the U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in Berlin, Ruth Bennett, confirmed that the agreement had been canceled but declined to comment further on the issue. Officials at the United Kingdom's embassy in Berlin couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/glenn-greenwald-fox-news-world-shocked_n_3533536.html

Greenwald says a ton more is comin out that will be way worse than what has been revealed so far. 

Good, let her rip.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Putin gave Obama a big middle finger.  Will be interesting to see how Obama responds. 

Snowden should be in a cell with Bradley Manning.   

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Putin gave Obama a big middle finger.  Will be interesting to see how Obama responds. 

Snowden should be in a cell with Bradley Manning.   
For the other info he leaked, I'd have to agree. But for blowing the whistle on the unconstitutional crap the NSA has been pulling on the public, absolutely not, IMHO.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
For the other info he leaked, I'd have to agree. But for blowing the whistle on the unconstitutional crap the NSA has been pulling on the public, absolutely not, IMHO.

I'm glad we found out about the NSA spying, but did he really blow the whistle?  He went to Hong Kong, then gave the information to the European media, without first trying to do what real whistle blowers do here.  I'm not sure what to call him, other than a traitor.   

I heard a Republican Congressman calling him a whistle blower yesterday.  I'm not comfortable with that.  We cannot encourage people to do what this guy did, in the manner in which he did it.  Dangerous precedent. 

Emmortal

• Getbig V
I'm glad we found out about the NSA spying, but did he really blow the whistle?  He went to Hong Kong, then gave the information to the European media, without first trying to do what real whistle blowers do here.  I'm not sure what to call him, other than a traitor.   

I heard a Republican Congressman calling him a whistle blower yesterday.  I'm not comfortable with that.  We cannot encourage people to do what this guy did, in the manner in which he did it.  Dangerous precedent. 

If he had stayed he would be in Guantanimo hours after leaking the information.  On top of that, who knows what the American MSM would have done with it anyway, it's a high possibility they would have just buried it.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
If he had stayed he would be in Guantanimo hours after leaking the information.  On top of that, who knows what the American MSM would have done with it anyway, it's a high possibility they would have just buried it.

I think that was his motivation more than anything.... It's already came out that they have been wiretapping MSM reporters... He probably woulnd't have ever gotten it TO the MSM, or if he did, it would have just disappeared, covered up or marginalized, just like they're trying to do now.

The more I think about it, the more I believe he really had no choice but to get it out like he did. I still think he deserves to be tried for revealing National Security secrets that involve our actions abroad, but I can still understand from a certain point. If you're going to go on a moral crusade, it wouldn't make much sense to only blow the whistle on the fucked up shit going on within the borders.

But IMHO, everyone outside the US borders takes a backseat to the rights of the US citizens. I think we all know that every 1st world government does immoral shit to their neighbors in an effort to stay the dominant superpower and to protect it's interests, there is nothing you can do about that. But when the citizens are having their rights infringed on in the way we are..

Im glad someone in their had the balls to do something about the gross abuse of power the NSA displayed. I know I wouldn't have... for all my libertarian leaning moral grandstanding, I would have just taken the money, fucked my stripper gf, and kept going. If it weren't for people like him, willing to put his well being aside in order to try and ensure that our government respects the constitution and fears it's citizens.. well, this country would look far different. I may have made a different decision when I was younger, (during my military service period I was pretty fucking moto) but with a wife and child? I'd definitely take the money and try to ensure a comfortable future for my family.

I think all his efforts will be in vain though.... They can, and will, completely destroy his character, and use his release of other, sensitive information to brand him as a traitor (and arguably so). Hell, no one even gives a shit about PRISM, barely anyone I know has any idea what it is. They're too concerned with the Royal Baby (fucking ridiculous), the Kardashians, their X-box or getting fucked up to give a fuck about anything the governments doing. The others that know about it, are so jaded that they just shrug their shoulders and sigh.

Hell, my brother in law thinks it's fine, he actually said they can sneak up on his window and watch him do his business if they want, he doesn't have anything to hide so why should he care about what he cannot change? It's sickening how many people actually applaud the government creating a database of information on the citizens by illegally and unconstitutionally spying... these people actually believe that the government is doing this for righteous reasons, and that they're protecting us from some invisible boogeyman that would instantly vaporize half the country if the NSA shut down it's program.

It's un-fucking-real.

In short, fuck people.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bro - that is the best post I ever read from you. 

I think that was his motivation more than anything.... It's already came out that they have been wiretapping MSM reporters... He probably woulnd't have ever gotten it TO the MSM, or if he did, it would have just disappeared, covered up or marginalized, just like they're trying to do now.

The more I think about it, the more I believe he really had no choice but to get it out like he did. I still think he deserves to be tried for revealing National Security secrets that involve our actions abroad, but I can still understand from a certain point. If you're going to go on a moral crusade, it wouldn't make much sense to only blow the whistle on the fucked up shit going on within the borders.

But IMHO, everyone outside the US borders takes a backseat to the rights of the US citizens. I think we all know that every 1st world government does immoral shit to their neighbors in an effort to stay the dominant superpower and to protect it's interests, there is nothing you can do about that. But when the citizens are having their rights infringed on in the way we are..

Im glad someone in their had the balls to do something about the gross abuse of power the NSA displayed. I know I wouldn't have... for all my libertarian leaning moral grandstanding, I would have just taken the money, fucked my stripper gf, and kept going. If it weren't for people like him, willing to put his well being aside in order to try and ensure that our government respects the constitution and fears it's citizens.. well, this country would look far different. I may have made a different decision when I was younger, (during my military service period I was pretty fucking moto) but with a wife and child? I'd definitely take the money and try to ensure a comfortable future for my family.

I think all his efforts will be in vain though.... They can, and will, completely destroy his character, and use his release of other, sensitive information to brand him as a traitor (and arguably so). Hell, no one even gives a shit about PRISM, barely anyone I know has any idea what it is. They're too concerned with the Royal Baby (fucking ridiculous), the Kardashians, their X-box or getting fucked up to give a fuck about anything the governments doing. The others that know about it, are so jaded that they just shrug their shoulders and sigh.

Hell, my brother in law thinks it's fine, he actually said they can sneak up on his window and watch him do his business if they want, he doesn't have anything to hide so why should he care about what he cannot change? It's sickening how many people actually applaud the government creating a database of information on the citizens by illegally and unconstitutionally spying... these people actually believe that the government is doing this for righteous reasons, and that they're protecting us from some invisible boogeyman that would instantly vaporize half the country if the NSA shut down it's program.

It's un-fucking-real.

In short, fuck people.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!

This ridiculous logic, unfortunately shared by many people in this board, is just sick.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

He would never be in Guantanamo as an American citizen, but he could have wound up in jail if he just went the New York Times and did an information dump. 

Or he could have gone to someplace like Judicial Watch, hired someone, and made disclosures like a real whistle blower.  I doubt he would have wound up in prison if he did it that way.   

There is no way all of the media would have ignored the information.  MSNBC?  Yes.  Fox News?  No way. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
He would never be in Guantanamo as an American citizen, but he could have wound up in jail if he just went the New York Times and did an information dump. 

Or he could have gone to someplace like Judicial Watch, hired someone, and made disclosures like a real whistle blower.  I doubt he would have wound up in prison if he did it that way.   

There is no way all of the media would have ignored the information.  MSNBC?  Yes.  Fox News?  No way. 

IMO, I have no doubt he would have wound up in prison that way.  Obama's lying through his ass on this.  The Congress and the courts are covering for him.  Anybody wanting to bring this to the attention of the American people is fucked.

When the game's rigged, you gotta find different avenues.

Now there's some shit I think you and I agree that Snowden shouldn't have given away and charge him with that...but I'm not big on throwing this guy in jail for life over this (and I have zero doubt they will try and portray some inflated bullshit about the danger posed.

If it's such a big threat to our security, where are the attacks?  They might be off, but why wait?  If he opened a hole, the longer they wait, the more likely we'll close it.  So I'm just not buying the National Security bullshit.

They want to spy on citizens and they want to do it with a free pass.  Lobby your congressperson!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

IMO, I have no doubt he would have wound up in prison that way.  Obama's lying through his ass on this.  The Congress and the courts are covering for him.  Anybody wanting to bring this to the attention of the American people is fucked.

When the game's rigged, you gotta find different avenues.

Now there's some shit I think you and I agree that Snowden shouldn't have given away and charge him with that...but I'm not big on throwing this guy in jail for life over this (and I have zero doubt they will try and portray some inflated bullshit about the danger posed.

If it's such a big threat to our security, where are the attacks?  They might be off, but why wait?  If he opened a hole, the longer they wait, the more likely we'll close it.  So I'm just not buying the National Security bullshit.

They want to spy on citizens and they want to do it with a free pass.  Lobby your congressperson!!

Definitely see an argument that he would have wound up in prison either way, although imagine the support he would have gotten if he did it the right way.  I would have supported him.  Many in Congress probably would have supported him. 

At the end of the day, I'm glad we know about it.