Author Topic: Michael Jackson Vastly Overrated; Doesn't Compare To Led Zep  (Read 5742 times)

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
Re: Michael Jackson Vastly Overrated; Doesn't Compare To Led Zep
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »
Nice comparison ::) ::)  I highly doubt when any member of Led Zepp dies there will be little more than a blurb in local papers.  Maybe some diehard fans will vigil but not even close to what Michael Jackson had an impact on.  Led Zepp is popular but Michael Jackson is in another universe when it comes to popularity.  How can you say he is overrated when he has been an icon for more than 40 years and commands the largest live audiences in history.  I'm not a fan of his but I do find his shows very entertaining and you can't argue his success in the music industry.  Calling him overrated is stupid

That is because people don't know the diference between.
 Real musicians plaing real instruments.---> Led Zeppelin
 And a guy shacking his ass, with a computer synthesizers doing all the work. -----> MJ

Gracie Rules

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »
Am I the only one who finds Michael Jackson to be overrated?  Upon examination of this tool's career, it turns out that he had no more than three or four dance moves, boring vanilla music, and bland videos.  A genius?  Hardly.  Does he hold a candle to Led Zeppelin?  Absolutely not. 

are you high

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
Nice comparison ::) ::)  I highly doubt when any member of Led Zepp dies there will be little more than a blurb in local papers.  Maybe some diehard fans will vigil but not even close to what Michael Jackson had an impact on.  Led Zepp is popular but Michael Jackson is in another universe when it comes to popularity.  How can you say he is overrated when he has been an icon for more than 40 years and commands the largest live audiences in history.  I'm not a fan of his but I do find his shows very entertaining and you can't argue his success in the music industry.  Calling him overrated is stupid

You'll have to pardon me Ma'am...I didn't know you rode side-saddle.
(

phish

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 11:25:20 AM »

where these vigils u talkin about certanly not in nj and ny every person ive talkin to says the boy lover is dead. not that i agree with their attitude but no1 is certainly loseing sleep over here on east coast like you have it playing out.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
Michael was an unbelievable entertainer and a good singer.  What most people don't realize is that he did not write most of the hits he had.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »
I'm a huge Led Zep fan however they're the best coverband of all time seeing most of the songs they had weren't even theirs

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
    * "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
    * "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
    * "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
    * "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
    * "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
    * "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
    * "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
    * "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
    * "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
    * "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
    * "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
    * "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
    * "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
    * "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
    * "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »
Michael was an unbelievable entertainer and a good singer.  What most people don't realize is that he did not write most of the hits he had.

This is off his first greatest hit cd.

Billie Jean (written by Michael Jackson)

The Way You Make Me Feel (written by Michael Jackson)

Black Or White (written by Michael Jackson)

Rock With You (written by Rod Temperton)

She's Out Of My Life (written by Tom Bahler)

Bad (written by Michael Jackson)

I Just Can't Stop Loving You (written by Michael Jackson)

Man In The Mirror (written by Siedah Garrett & Glen Ballard)

Thriller (written by Rod Temperton)

Beat It (written by Michael Jackson)

The Girl Is Mine (written by Michael Jackson)

Remember The Time (written by Michael Jackson, Teddy Riley & Bernard Bell)

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (written by Michael Jackson)

Wanna Be Startin' Somthin' (written by Michael Jackson)

Heal The World (written by Michael Jackson

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »
This is off his first greatest hit cd.

Billie Jean (written by Michael Jackson)

The Way You Make Me Feel (written by Michael Jackson)

Black Or White (written by Michael Jackson)

Rock With You (written by Rod Temperton)

She's Out Of My Life (written by Tom Bahler)

Bad (written by Michael Jackson)

I Just Can't Stop Loving You (written by Michael Jackson)

Man In The Mirror (written by Siedah Garrett & Glen Ballard)

Thriller (written by Rod Temperton)

Beat It (written by Michael Jackson)

The Girl Is Mine (written by Michael Jackson)

Remember The Time (written by Michael Jackson, Teddy Riley & Bernard Bell)

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (written by Michael Jackson)

Wanna Be Startin' Somthin' (written by Michael Jackson)

Heal The World (written by Michael Jackson

Yeah I thought he did write most of his music

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »
Am I the only one who finds Michael Jackson to be overrated?  Upon examination of this tool's career, it turns out that he had no more than three or four dance moves, boring vanilla music, and bland videos.  A genius?  Hardly.  Does he hold a candle to Led Zeppelin?  Absolutely not. 

Epic Hateration. Having THE all time best selling album. The Smooth Criminal video transformed music videos and as a direct result influenced all videos up to this day. His moonwalking moves made everybody want to break dance and be like him (I take it you couldn't moonwalk). And there are so many other things, hell Led Zep couldn't even come close to the Jackson 5, and Michael was 9 yrs old at the time.

And he owns your mind soo much that a dead plastic 112 pound man has made you start a thread about him...

I'd say he's done damn good, until Led Zep does what Mike has done, or even comes close, your argument is moot. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
Yeah I thought he did write most of his music
Problem these days is that people get credit for writing a song they didn't write -ie. a producer will bring Recording Star X a song and if and when they decide to put it on the record by either paying off the no-name songwriter or by taking co-writing credit. So, you have people like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion having song writing credits when they are basically illiterate.  :-\

/i love the fact you put up spirit. i was just listening to the 12 dreams of dr. sardonicus the other day. a brilliant, now forgotten album by a now sadly forgotten band.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
Problem these days is that people get credit for writing a song they didn't write -ie. a producer will bring Recording Star X a song and if and when they decide to put it on the record by either paying off the no-name songwriter or by taking co-writing credit. So, you have people like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion having song writing credits when they are basically illiterate.  :-\

/i love the fact you put up spirit. i was just listening to the 12 dreams of dr. sardonicus the other day. a brilliant, now forgotten album by a now sadly forgotten band.

I didn't know that

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
I didn't know that
The music business is so scummy that the shenanigans of BB'ing look quite tame by comparison.   :-X

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »

Yep, mr chimpy, you are correct.  they will change 2 lyrics in a song and then claim they co-wrote it.....sad shit.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
The music business is so scummy that the shenanigans of BB'ing look quite tame by comparison.   :-X

Is that possible? lol and did Jackson do this as well?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:06 PM »
Is that possible? lol and did Jackson do this as well?
I don't know specifics, but some song writers like it, as 'owning' 50% (or less) credit of a song recorded by MJ, means big bucks and royalties forever. Some like song writer/writer-for-hire Diane Warren have made millions this way.

'Course, the number of Blues musicians beggared by the music industry is innumerable. Even a Hollywood lawyer would probably balk at going near the music industry.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »
I don't know specifics, but some song writers like it, as 'owning' 50% (or less) credit of a song recorded by MJ, means big bucks and royalties forever. Some like song writer/writer-for-hire Diane Warren have made millions this way.

'Course, the number of Blues musicians beggared by the music industry is innumerable. Even a Hollywood lawyer would probably balk at going near the music industry.

yeah I know getting writing credit on a hugely popular song or album is a nice payday for perpetuity but I mean seeing the record industry is down the tubes does it mean anything anymore? who's buying music?

I think bodybuilding is a close second maybe a third behind boxing lol

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
yeah I know getting writing credit on a hugely popular song or album is a nice payday for perpetuity but I mean seeing the record industry is down the tubes does it mean anything anymore? who's buying music?

I think bodybuilding is a close second maybe a third behind boxing lol
Talk about Red Light districts.   ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
Talk about Red Light districts.   ;D

lmao

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »

I do like Zeppelin, but how many dance moves do they have? And how many interesting videos? 0 right? Wouldn't you rather listen to some of the originators of the black music they poached wholesale?

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
 ::)
choice is an illusion

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
I do like Zeppelin, but how many dance moves do they have? And how many interesting videos? 0 right? Wouldn't you rather listen to some of the originators of the black music they poached wholesale?
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those who are Led Zep fans (not the dilettantes) have a good amount of cds by such blues artists. I know I do.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »

That blues phrasing = just so sweet :'(

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2009, 01:13:24 PM »
Neither of us can say for sure but my guess is that Jackson may have assisted in some way on those songs but didn't write most of them.  I know Quincy Jones wrote some of those tunes...someone else too but can't remember their name.  Just because its listed on the album doesn't mean Jackson really wrote them.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »

Jackson was Motown and pop. Zeppelin is classic rock. They are two different genres.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »
Everybody who bitches about someone who has no talent and is successful, what's stopping you from capitalizing quick??

After all, talentless effort is easy, no?