Author Topic: Carly Fiorina for President!  (Read 30547 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Carly Fiorina for President!
« on: January 12, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
Carly Fiorina’s ’16 pipe dream: Why her campaign will be a right-wing sideshow
The former CEO won't embarrass her party, but here's why she will never win its nomination
Heather Digby Parton

So last week Jeb Bush put on a hat in anticipation of some point soon throwing it into the presidential ring. Rand Paul and Marco Rubio are bickering like Archie and Edith Bunker over Cuba and what the word “isolationist” means. (Paul is very pleased with his Eddie Haskelesque move to tag Rubio with the hated moniker.) Chris Christie glumly walked around with President Obama again trying desperately not to appear as if he likes it. Scott Walker is bbusily trying to figure out how to use the auto-correct on his phone. Rick Perry is sporting some very sharp new costumes. Ben Carson is rewriting the constitution. Mike Huckabee is milking his million dollar payday for as long as he can while Bobby Jindal desperately tries to get somebody, somewhere, to pay attention to him. The Republican presidential candidates come from every corner of the country and represent a variety of different GOP constituencies. They have governors and senators and TV personalities. They even have two medical doctors!

But for all that talent and diversity something has been missing. Hmmm, let me think. What could it be? Oh right. They forgot to include a woman. Ooops.

But it looks as though that’s about to be rectified:

Carly Fiorina is laying the groundwork for what one ally says is an “imminent” presidential campaign—one that could launch as early as next month.
    The former Hewlett-Packard CEO, who raised her political profile with a failed run against Sen. Barbara Boxer of California in 2010, has frequently been mentioned as a long-shot contender to seek the Republican presidential nomination. The speculation is driven by equal parts novelty and activity: Fiorina, who paid several high-profile visits to early-nominating states in 2014, acknowledged that she would likely be the only woman in the GOP field.

Whew! In a contest that’s going to feature at least one woman on the Democratic side it would be more than a little bit embarrassing to see all those men on the stage without even a token female. Since the transition of Sarah Palin to full-fledged reality TV and tabloid star, there just hasn’t been anyone obvious to prop up there. People have talked about South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley and New Mexico Governor Suzannah Martinez, both of whom would be highly qualified, but they haven’t shown any serious signs of wanting to do it. There are four women GOP Senators, Ayotte, Collins, Murkowski and Fisher in the current congress but none of them are on any public short-lists that I’m aware of. Senator-elect Joni Ernst, whom Luke Russert calls the “Crown Jewel” of the GOP, may be ambitious but she’s probably going to have to wait at least one term before she can conceivably lead the nation. And there are, of course, the GOP congresswomen, more than 20 of them in the new congress, none of whom seem to want to follow in the footsteps of Michele Bachman (which is understandable.)

So, along comes Fiorina, ready once more to take one for the team and spend millions of her own money in a losing race for high office. And she’s a three-fer. Not only is she a woman, she’s a failed CEO and failed Senate candidate too! (Not that there aren’t plenty of the last two available in Republican politics.)

No one knows for sure what she is really after — it certainly isn’t the presidency, which is completely out of reach. But she has been planning this move for quite some time. She became the chairman of the board of the American Conservative Union foundation, the group that sponsors the annual CPAC Convention that showcases the most important right wingers in the country. It’s unlikely that the Chairman of the Board will be denied a prominent speaking role. She’s also slated to give the keynote speech to the Council for National Policy meeting this year, one of the most important gatherings of influential ultra-conservative players in the Republican Party.

And she’s not faking it. As her extraordinary loss to Senator Barbara Boxer in 2010 illustrated she is very right wing. Despite the middle of the road image some might confer on her as a pragmatic business woman in a man’s world Fiorina is a hard core social conservative. She is anti-abortion and anti-marriage equality. She does draw the line on “personhood” but then so do the voters of Alabama, so that’s hardly a litmus test. This businesswoman is perfectly willing to say that the the jury on climate change is still out and loves energy company money, especially if it comes from her good friends the Koch brothers. She is so hardcore on guns that she argued forcefully for the constitutional right of people on the no-fly list to bear arms. She heartily supported Arizona’s anti-immigration law SB-1070. (You can see why she lost in California by more than 10 points.)

And that brings us to Fiorina’s likely role in this upcoming presidential campaign. While nobody sees her as a president she has that highly regarded Republican characteristic of a mean sense of humor and has proven herself adept at delivering the zinger to a female rival for which a man would be criticized as ungallant if not outright sexist. The Republican presidential boys club needs someone in the pack who can do that dirty work for them. And Fiorina is their gal. For instance, in her most notorious campaign ad of 2010, Fiorina responded to Boxer’s claim that “one of the very important national security issues frankly is climate change,”by turning to the camera and snidely quipping, “Terrorism kills, and Barbara Boxer’s worried about the weather.”

Hiyo! But she has also been known to get herself into trouble as when she was caught on tape being a mean girl in a much too stereotypical way — she said a friend had seen Boxer on TV “and said what everyone says — God, what is that hair?” Mike Huckabee undoubtedly chuckled loudly at that swipe but it flopped with women. Fiorina has probably learned her lesson and won’t go there this time.

Fiorina won’t embarrass the party the way Michele Bachman did when she served water to all the male candidates during one of their debates. And nobody will ever be able to shame them the way Sarah Palin did … always. She is a more mature public figure with at least a modicum of gravitas. But in the end, her role in the campaign will be the same as theirs — a sideshow. That’s what Republican women candidates for president always are and she’s nothing if not a good team player.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Carliy Fiorina for President!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »

Fiorina won’t embarrass the party the way Michele Bachman did when she served water to all the male candidates during one of their debates. And nobody will ever be able to shame them the way Sarah Palin did … always. She is a more mature public figure with at least a modicum of gravitas. But in the end, her role in the campaign will be the same as theirs — a sideshow. That’s what Republican women candidates for president always are and she’s nothing if not a good team player.

I don't think she has a snowball's chance if she couldn't win a Senate race, but who is the author talking about here?  ("Republican women candidates for president always are")

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:56:38 PM »
I don't think she has a snowball's chance if she couldn't win a Senate race, but who is the author talking about here?  ("Republican women candidates for president always are")

which women have run before?  bachmann hid in bushes and said she went undercover as a career at IRS to learn the enemy, she was obviously a little unhinged. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
which women have run before?  bachmann hid in bushes and said she went undercover as a career at IRS to learn the enemy, she was obviously a little unhinged. 

::)  That was my question, troll. 

Bachmann 2012.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:10:01 PM »
Plenty of women have run, silly willy.

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/publicofficials/tp/ran_for_president.htm

You know I have to confess.  I knew you were a screwball, but I didn't realize what a dummy you are too.   :-\

The author said Republican women who run for president are always a sideshow.  My question is which Republican who ran for president were a sideshow?  I know you don't know the answer, and I wouldn't trust anything you post on here anyway. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 03:55:18 AM »
Carly Fiorina Hiring for Presidential Campaign
Despite her improving political skills, the California businesswoman would be an underdog in a likely all-male GOP field.
By Tim Alberta

Carly Fiorina is laying the groundwork for what one ally says is an "imminent" presidential campaign—one that could launch as early as next month.

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO, who raised her political profile with a failed run against Sen. Barbara Boxer of California in 2010, has frequently been mentioned as a long-shot contender to seek the Republican presidential nomination. The speculation is driven by equal parts novelty and activity: Fiorina, who paid several high-profile visits to early-nominating states in 2014, acknowledged that she would likely be the only woman in the GOP field.

"Look, I think it would be great if we had female candidates—or candidate," Fiorina told National Journal earlier this year.

Fiorina is now poised to become that candidate. According to three sources with direct knowledge of the situation, she has authorized members of her inner circle to seek out and interview candidates for two key positions on her presidential campaign: political director and communications director. Notably, the sources said, her associates are aiming to fill both positions with women.

The search, sources say, is being spearheaded by Amy Noone Frederick, a Republican consultant who sits with Fiorina on the American Conservative Union Foundation's board of directors.

One Republican operative was recently approached about a position with the Unlocking Potential Project, Fiorina's super PAC. The operative, who asked not to be named, said that in the course of the interview one of Fiorina's allies began gauging interest in a separate position "for a certain presidential candidate who is gearing up for a run."

It's unclear if any hires have been made, and emails to officials with Fiorina's PAC were not returned.

Still, people familiar with Fiorina's camp say the organizational outreach proves that she's serious about getting a campaign off the ground—and quickly. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is already effectively in the race and consuming other contenders' oxygen. If Fiorina wants to jump in and make a media splash, she probably can't afford to wait much longer.

"It appears that they want to move fast, which is smart," said Jason Cabel Roe, a Republican consultant in California. "Carly getting in as the 10th candidate is not nearly as interesting as Carly getting in as the first or second candidate."

Meanwhile, as she seeks to make significant personnel moves, Fiorina has also maneuvered to promote herself in front of influential conservative audiences in the early part of next year—a key set of auditions that could very well coincide with the launch of a campaign.

Fiorina, who chairs the ACU Foundation board, is said to have already secured a prime speaking slot at the ACU's 2015 Conservative Political Action Conference. That event will be held in the D.C. suburbs on the last weekend of February. But the bigger prize is one weekend earlier. Fiorina, sources say, has accepted a coveted invitation to deliver the keynote address to the Council for National Policy—home to many of the conservative movement's biggest donors—at its private gathering in southern California.

"February's going to be a big month for her, with two signature events where she's going to have a big role," said one prominent conservative activist leader, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of his involvement with both the ACU and CNP. "One speech in front of movement leadership, then one speech in front of grassroots activists—those are going to be big moments for her."

If her message stays consistent with appearances of late, Fiorina will hope to appeal to these audiences as a political outsider. But she is hardly without political connections.

While serving as an adviser to Sen. John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign, Fiorina was named chairwoman of a Republican National Committee fundraising initiative. She parlayed that role into a speaking slot at that year's GOP convention, and had even generated some buzz as a dark-horse vice-presidential pick.

Though she could not overcome California's liberal electorate in her 2010 Senate race, Fiorina showed significant improvement on the stump over the life of the campaign. Her 10-point loss did not tarnish her stature as a rising star among Republican women; in fact, her opportunities and exposure have steadily increased. She served as a vice chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee in 2012. Her successful takeover of the ACU Foundation board last year was the clearest indication yet of her political chops—and ambition.

That said, if and when Fiorina pulls the trigger on a presidential run, she will enter the contest a decided underdog. She enjoys little national name recognition, lacks a top-notch political team, and has never won a major race for public office. Not only did she lose by double digits in 2010, she left the campaign with a significant amount of debt, some of which remains unretired more than four years later. (This fact is not lost on Republicans who have examined her viability as a sleeper candidate.)

But none of that may matter. Several people familiar with Fiorina's operation suspect that her ultimate goal is not winning the nomination, but rather breaking through what is expected to be an all-male Republican field and positioning herself for the second spot on the GOP ticket.

"I don't think Carly's running for president. I think Carly's running for vice president," said Roe, the California Republican. "If Hillary Clinton's the nominee, Republicans need a woman front and center—probably on the ticket. And Carly knows that."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:23:52 PM »
Former HP CEO Carly Fiorina to test waters for potential run at N.H. event
By James Pindell

Carly Fiorina, the former Hewlett Packard chief executive who unsuccessfully ran for the US Senate in California, will return to New Hampshire next month as she explores a potential Republican bid for president next year.

Fiorina is scheduled to give a keynote talk at a Feb. 10 “Politics and Eggs” breakfast, an event sponsored by the New England Council that has become a rite of passage for presidential candidates. Those who speak at the event sign wooden eggs that serve as keepsakes for the business and civic leaders who attend.

“We’re very excited. We’re going to have Carly start doing hand exercises to get ready for all the wooden eggs,” said Sarah Isgur Flores, a spokeswoman for Fiorina.

This trip means that Fiorina and Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey have been to the Granite State five times in the last year, leaving them behind only US Representative Peter King of New York in terms of the most frequent visiting potential presidential candidates.

Last week, Fiorina attended a party in Washington honoring US Representative Frank Guinta of New Hampshire.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
I dont remember exactly how high of office anne richards ran for but she probably would have been decent.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
I dont remember exactly how high of office anne richards ran for but she probably would have been decent.

I thought she was a good governor. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »

she was anti-gun, ironically.  Tried to limit semi-automatic handgun sales in TX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Richards#cite_note-8

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 03:36:13 AM »
Carly Fiorina, no longer deadbeat candidate
By Debra J. Saunders

This just in: Carly Fiorina paid off the debt from her losing 2010 Senate campaign against Sen. Barbara Boxer. As I wrote last month, the former HP head is mulling over a 2016 presidential run — which made her failure to pay off her handlers and vendors rather puzzling. Losing candidates often owe money, but she’s a rich candidate, who was partially self-funded. Nonetheless, she left behind  debt just under $500,000. As I wrote:

Like the evil George Wickham in “Pride and Prejudice,” Fiorina skipped California owing buckets of cash to her one-time pals. She owes $60,000 to former campaign managerMarty Wilson, who now works for the California Chamber of Commerce, and another $20,000 to his former communications firm. She shorted her lawyer Ben Ginsberg, formerly of Patton Boggs, to the tune of $44,000. She owes $3,750 to a former press secretary, $5,000 to another communications aide and $7,500 to her erstwhile political director. She stiffed political consultant Joe Shumate, who died in 2010, to the tune of $30,000. (Yes, she stiffed a stiff — even though she lauded Shumate as a “trusted adviser and friend” upon his death.)

Tuesday I heard from Sarah Isgur Flores, who works for Fiorina’s Unlocking Potential Project. She sent me this transcript from a Fiorina interview on the Hugh Hewitt show. (You can listen to the whole interview at http://www.hughhewitt.com/wp-content/uploads/01-09hhs-fiorina.mp3)

HH: Now what is your timetable, by the way, Carly Fiorina, for deciding whether or not to formally join the race for president?

CF: Well, probably I will make a final decision in the March-April timeframe. I mean, something could change, but that’s currently what I’m thinking about.

HH: And you’re staffing up and all that. What about your Senate campaign debt from 2010?

CF: Well, that campaign debt has been paid off. So…

HH: Okay.

CF: That, yeah, it’s all been paid off, and you know, campaign debt is nothing particularly new. Hillary Clinton had $25 million dollars’ worth of it when she finished her last presidential run, and I don’t know, took four years or something to pay it off. But we have no debt.

Because he was owed the most money, Marty Wilson served as the de facto spokesman for the IOU crowd. Over the phone, Wilson confirmed that he has been told “check is in the mail” — and he believes it. Wilson also said all vendors will be paid what they are owed, not at a discount.

Fiorina has dispatched an issue that was bound to dog her bid for the White House — or I suspect, what is really her bid to be discussed as a smart female running mate for a GOP nominee who, unlike her, actually has won an election.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
she was anti-gun, ironically.  Tried to limit semi-automatic handgun sales in TX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Richards#cite_note-8
lmfao what did you google her and anti gun?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »

what difference does it make how he found it?

why would you even bother asking that?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »
what difference does it make how he found it?

why would you even bother asking that?
lol what difference does it make if she had a different view on gun control?

I ask b/c its just like the trailer park ranger to think that you can find the perfect candidate with no issues you disagree with.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »
lol what difference does it make if she had a different view on gun control?

I ask b/c its just like the trailer park ranger to think that you can find the perfect candidate with no issues you disagree with.

Is that the question I asked you?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »

I googled her name and wiki.   She was good, not great.  can't deny her anti-gun actions, linked from wiki.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 06:19:35 PM »
Is that the question I asked you?
did you just ignore the second part of that post moron?

I googled her name and wiki.   She was good, not great.  can't deny her anti-gun actions, linked from wiki.
she was very pro gun, she did have different ideas on gun control though.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »
did you just ignore the second part of that post moron?

I ignore most of what you write - especially when you start by ignoring a direct and very simple questions

when that's your initial response I know this is one of your typical time wasters

BTW -   Nothing about Ann Richards matters anymore

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »

She vetoed concealed carry for texans.  Her nice quote:
 "Well, I'm not a sexist, but there is not a woman in this state who could find a gun in her handbag, much less a lipstick."

She supported a ban on certain semi-auto weapons

Also, she was a fcking democrat.

Now, aside from all that LOL... how was she very pro gun?   I'd love to meet the democrat that supports AWB and opposes concealed carry that is "very pro gun".

She was before your time, decades ago... I think this might be the shiny memory, like many people have of reagan, ignoring much of the lib shit people actually stood for.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »
She vetoed concealed carry for texans.  Her nice quote:
 "Well, I'm not a sexist, but there is not a woman in this state who could find a gun in her handbag, much less a lipstick."

She supported a ban on certain semi-auto weapons

Also, she was a fcking democrat.

Now, aside from all that LOL... how was she very pro gun?   I'd love to meet the democrat that supports AWB and opposes concealed carry that is "very pro gun".

She was before your time, decades ago... I think this might be the shiny memory, like many people have of reagan, ignoring much of the lib shit people actually stood for.
was before my time but you should look up all stances 240, like you have said about obama "he evolved"...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
was before my time but you should look up all stances 240, like you have said about obama "he evolved"...

She was purrty consistent.
???   at what point in her presidency did Ann Richards change positions and suddenly support permits?  NONE!  

n 1994, Texas citizens approved a nonbinding resolution asking the state to grant Texans the right to carry concealed weapons. Gov. Ann Richards had vetoed such a bill prior to the vote and vowed that no such bill would pass while she was governor. By contrast, her opponent in the race for governor, George W. Bush, said that if elected he would sign an appropriately structured "right-to-carry" law. Bush won the election and on May 26, 1995, signed a law granting Texans the right to carry concealed firearms. When he did so, Texas joined 22 other states that since 1986 have made it legal to carry concealed weapons.

??? At what point in her presidency did Ann Richards suddenly reverse course and no longer support AWB?  NONE!

Dude, when did she "evolve"?   WTF where did you get that idea?   More "reaganization" of liberal leaders by the right, 2 decades later.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 04:27:59 AM »
Carly Fiorina: 'Seriously considering' presidential race
By: Catalina Camia

Carly Fiorina isn’t taking the prospect of a 2016 presidential campaign lightly.

“Well, I haven’t made that decision yet, but what I can tell you is that I’m very seriously considering running,” she said, according to excerpts of Fiorina’s interview with Neil Cavuto airing Thursday night on Fox Business Network.

Fiorina, who was forced out as Hewlett-Packard’s CEO in 2005, has been stepping up her appearances at political events and in states such as Iowa as she assesses whether to seek the Republican presidential nomination. She lost a Senate race to Barbara Boxer in 2010.

At this early stage, Fiorina is the only woman who is openly considering the GOP race. Fiorina suggested she offers a contrast to others who also have their eye on the White House.

“Because I think we need different experience, different perspective and a different voice,” she said.

She took aim at big government and its impact on entrepreneurs and small business owners.

“It’s not the entrepreneurial spirit in this nation that is dying,” Fiorina said. “We have a leviathan called the government that’s crushing that spirit … We’re at a point now where the government is so big, so complex, so unaccountable, so inefficient, so corrupt in so many cases that it is becoming harder and harder for people with guts, and brains, and ambitions and gifts to put them to work.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
Who wants Carly Fiorina?
Some say a business-savvy woman would be a welcome addition to the Republican field.
By Jonathan Topaz

Carly Fiorina knows she’s a long shot for the presidency.

She’s never held elected office and has less name recognition than several other potential GOP rivals, two things she readily concedes. Her detractors, meanwhile, note that her one past attempt at elected office was a dud and her tenure as Hewlett-Packard’s CEO — her big private-sector bona fide — was rocky.

“There is no doubt that as the only nonpolitician in the race, if I were to get in, that I have hurdles to overcome,” Fiorina, 60, said in an interview.

Yet even strategists who wonder why she’d bother running admit that, with expectations so low, a Fiorina 2016 campaign would have upsides for her image — as well as for the Republican Party as a whole.

Fiorina is positioning herself as a business-savvy outsider with a compelling personal story who can command a stage. If she avoids stumbles, a run could boost her standing in GOP circles; some speculate her real goal is the vice presidency or a Cabinet slot.

Fiorina also is the only woman so far considering running on the Republican side, a blessing for a party criticized for its dearth of female leaders.

“[T]here are a lot of voters out there who are less interested in how many times people have run for office, less interested in how many years people have held office, less interested in how many donors they have, and more interested in, ‘What are they saying to me?’” said Fiorina, who is aiming for a final decision on whether to run by March or April.

Party insiders say Fiorina has a tough sell ahead.
A dozen former and current staffers and Republican strategists were skeptical, and in some cases outright dismissive, of a Fiorina candidacy.

“Pretty much everybody else potentially running for president … is further along” in terms of public awareness and support with the base, Republican strategist Matt Mackowiak said.

Her newly hired spokeswoman, Sarah Isgur Flores, acknowledged as much: “Her name ID is a little low.”

Fiorina also finds herself in an ideological netherworld. She told POLITICO she’s “clearly not an establishment politician,” but she has held major positions within the party. She was named vice chairwoman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee in 2011 and before that served as an economic adviser for the 2008 presidential campaign of John McCain, a tea party scourge.

Still, she holds many conservative positions, including being staunchly anti-abortion. When she ran for Senate from California in 2010, she positioned herself on the right of the GOP field. She’s decried liberal hypocrisy in forums such as the Conservative Political Action Conference and plans to appear at the upcoming Iowa Freedom Summit hosted by conservative firebrand Rep. Steve King alongside grass-roots favorites Ben Carson, Rick Santorum and Sarah Palin.

At a panel about small business this month, Fiorina sounded more like a Silicon Valley CEO than a presidential candidate. She talked comfortably about venture capital mechanics and the entrepreneurial “ecosystem.” She made only oblique references to a government “hostile” to small business. She never used the words “Obama” or “Democrat.”

Fiorina, who began her career as a secretary, was the first woman in history to run a Fortune 20 company when she took over HP in 1999. She feuded with her board and was forced to resign after 5 1/2 years. She engineered a $25 billion acquisition of Compaq, a deal criticized at the time but since hailed by some industry analysts as a success. HP stock had a net drop of more than 50 percent during her tenure, far more than that of Dell or IBM, two key competitors.

Strategists warn that Fiorina might struggle to run for the presidency on her business experience given her tumultuous tenure at HP. “It’s always a little difficult for a CEO to run for office,” said Ken Khachigian, a former adviser. “You have a lot of business decisions that aren’t always popular.”

In 2010, Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer of California repeatedly hit Fiorina for the approximately 30,000 layoffs that followed the Compaq merger and for outsourcing jobs overseas. Boxer won that race by 10 points.

Fiorina makes no apologies for her time at HP and its effect on her campaign.

“I’m extremely proud of what I did at HP,” Fiorina said, citing increased growth rates and cash flow during her tenure. “I will run on that record all day long.”

Fiorina’s supporters say she fought tough against an entrenched blue-state incumbent and performed better than that year’s GOP gubernatorial candidate, former eBay CEO Meg Whitman. Fiorina began her campaign a month after completing chemotherapy for breast cancer and was briefly hospitalized in the final week of the campaign with an infection.

Critics, however, argue that Fiorina was an awkward candidate who lost convincingly in a wave Republican midterm year.

Earlier this month, Fiorina repaid the roughly $500,000 in remaining debt from her Senate run. Before then, she had repaid less than $50,000 total since the campaign ended, according to Federal Election Commission reports. Party insiders have criticized her for taking more than four years to repay the funds, and some pointed out that she did so only after increasing her media exposure in advance of a potential presidential run.

One person who worked on her campaign noted that Fiorina and her husband, Frank, bought a $6.1 million house in northern Virginia years before paying off her debt.

“For someone who is as wealthy as she is to still have debt, it’s outrageous,” Mackowiak said days before Fiorina announced her debts were settled.

Fiorina pointed out that Hillary Clinton, the presumed front-runner for the 2016 Democratic nomination, took four years to repay about $25 million from her 2008 presidential run. “Certainly, I would rather it had been settled earlier, but campaign debt is nothing new,” Fiorina said.

Ahead of a potential run, Fiorina has spoken to donors in early primary states. She’s also visited Iowa and New Hampshire several times in recent months and participated in a September women’s leadership event in South Carolina with Sen. Tim Scott. She will be in Des Moines on Jan. 24 at King’s summit and New Hampshire in February for a “Politics and Eggs” event. She’s also a confirmed speaker for CPAC next month.

Unlocking Potential PAC, which Fiorina founded last June to engage female voters, was active in the midterm cycle, raising nearly $2 million. To the delight of other Republicans, Fiorina has repeatedly slammed Democrats for insulting women by focusing heavily on reproductive rights and claiming the GOP is waging a “war on women.”

“She is someone who Republicans need to have in the race because she is a woman and she is a successful woman,” GOP strategist Ford O’Connell said.

Former staffers describe Fiorina as a good fundraiser and an excellent retail politician willing to put in long hours.

“She knows how to connect with people,” said Jeff Corless, her 2010 political director. “She came across as genuine. She excited people. She’s ready for the campaign trail, in my mind.”

“I’ve never seen a stronger constitution in my life,” said her 2010 campaign ad-maker, Fred Davis. He added that Fiorina dealt with her cancer with such toughness that it “barely fazed her.”

When asked about her long-shot status, multiple former staffers brought up Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama, underdogs who won the Democratic nominations in 1976 and 2008, respectively.

If she runs, Fiorina can at least claim to be more than a career politician. “A lot of people in political life have known only politics,” she said, smiling. “And that’s a narrow set of experiences.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »
Carly Fiorina: Obama Doesn't Deserve Credit For Economic Recovery
By Igor Bobic

Republican businesswoman Carly Fiorina lambasted President Barack Obama hours before the State of the Union address, disputing the notion that he -- and his six years in office -- deserved any credit for the rebounding economy.

"He will apparently declare victory on the economy tonight, but of course, whatever life there is in the economy is not due to his policies, it's in spite of his policies," the former CEO of Hewlett Packard and potential 2016 presidential candidate said in a Tuesday interview with Newsmax.

Obama is expected to acknowledge positive economic indicators -- including a steadily declining unemployment rate, GDP growth and new market highs on Wall Street -- when he addresses the nation Tuesday evening. He will also propose a plan to extend tax credits to the middle class by hiking taxes on wealthier Americans, a course of action opposed by many in the Republican Party.

"He's always been interested in redistributing wealth rather than growing the economy," Fiorina said. "This isn't a new theme for him; he's tried this over and over and over. … What's surprising is that he is doubling down on what has already been a failed strategy in the face of a House and a Senate that are GOP-controlled."

Fiorina's comments about Obama's legacy echo those by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who suggested earlier this month that the good news just might have something to do with the election of a Republican Congress.

Though considered a long-shot for the presidency, Fiorina said she is "seriously considering" throwing her hat into the ring.