Author Topic: From Man to Beast. Working towards a 300kg deadlift  (Read 53641 times)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Re: From Man to Beast (Hopefully)
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
I really feel poor for the weights - you're brutalizing them.
Props  8)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

Training is going great right now even though I am working all the time. My back is feeling strong as hell and I think I am on target for the worlds in November. The 300kg rack pull felt easy as hell and in a couple of months I might give 320kg a shot out of interest.

I took another couple of videos screwing about in the gym the other day. I'm currently at a bw of about 235-238lbs.

I'm not supposed to be doing muscle snatches in my routine, but I was fucking about the other day with some light weights and they seem to come quite naturally to me. 148.5lb muscle snatch:

I took a day off today, feeling a little tired and want to come back and have a good workout tomorrow. Should be easy enough.

I really appreciate the comments. A lot of you guys probably don't realise how far I've come from some seriously shit times in my life, so the positive feedback is great  :) I keep a blog at http://burn-to-live-live-to-burn.blogspot.com/ if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Ben

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
Gayer than saying I watched the 1st video and am very impressed by both your physical transformation and all of your lifts!
Gayer than all this squatting, deadlifting, benching & chinning heresy.

You have to use a bowflex or become sterile & hurt yourself.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »

lol

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:08 AM »

Hahahaha...

Keep up the good work Burn...

8)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 09:29:49 PM »
just stumbled upon this thread...

awesome deadlifting !

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
just stumbled upon this thread...

awesome deadlifting !

Thanks for the comment man  :)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
Some fucking shit news. I was deadlifting today and I'm recently recovered from a lower back injury. My back has been feeling great recently, today it was feeling a little tight, but I was well warmed up and had stretched it out a little. I did my first 2/3 sets of deadlift and I swear they felt beautiful. I'd got the groove and the bar was coming up nice. Then halfway up a rep I feel a pull and drop the bar. I've now got pretty bad pain to the right area of my sacral spine around the top of my glute. I'm gutted...everything was going so well.

I've spent the last 4 hours siting propped up with ice on and off my lower back. I've upped my protein and added some glutamine as well. Hopefully it helps. I won't be able to work for the next few days at least either. If I can recover quickly I might still make my targets for the worlds in November.

Will give an injury update soon. I know for a fact I'm going to wake up sore and a back as stiff as a board tomorrow  :(

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »
Some fucking shit news. I was deadlifting today and I'm recently recovered from a lower back injury. My back has been feeling great recently, today it was feeling a little tight, but I was well warmed up and had stretched it out a little. I did my first 2/3 sets of deadlift and I swear they felt beautiful. I'd got the groove and the bar was coming up nice. Then halfway up a rep I feel a pull and drop the bar. I've now got pretty bad pain to the right area of my sacral spine around the top of my glute. I'm gutted...everything was going so well.

I've spent the last 4 hours siting propped up with ice on and off my lower back. I've upped my protein and added some glutamine as well. Hopefully it helps. I won't be able to work for the next few days at least either. If I can recover quickly I might still make my targets for the worlds in November.

Will give an injury update soon. I know for a fact I'm going to wake up sore and a back as stiff as a board tomorrow  :(

Shit ben. That sounds exactly like me believe it or not. Exactly to the right top of glute. Mine was so so sore you will be grand in a few days i think.

I bought glutamine too lol

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
Shit ben. That sounds exactly like me believe it or not. Exactly to the right top of glute. Mine was so so sore you will be grand in a few days i think.

I bought glutamine too lol

It's shit like. My movement is really limited.

Today I slept in, it felt good to have a rest. My manager at work was good enough to have today covered for me at very short notice.

On an aside, I've had a wrist injury for a long time now which has developed into tendinitis. I got a product from LA Muscle called IP4, which is supposed to be really good for injuries. I've been taking it for 5 days now and the tendinitis I've had for 3-4 months has virtually disappeared. I'm happy about that.

Anyway, today I got up and had a protein shake, 72g protein, some fruit etc This continued throughout the day, huge protein shakes with added glutamine, a few chicken breasts etc I also stayed propped up, feet elevated, icing my back on and off. I've been taking ibuprofen for any inflammation and have been taking it with grapefruit juice to help it get into my system. I'm continuing the IP4 and I'm convinced it's working. My back is definitely recovering, though I will have a better idea tomorrow just how well.

It's fucking shit sitting watching daytime TV. lol. I'm going to read a book or something instead tomorrow. I'm hoping I will have regained some more mobility tomorrow.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »
Didnt notice your log here, burn. Great lifts!

I messed up my back just the other day as well. Popped it just above my left glute. I lost form on the way back up from a DL (starting from lockout position) on a platform. Its happened before but not in a long time an OH DID IT HURT!!! Couple days later and I feel okay. Will be 100% in a few days.....at which time I will eff it up again! ;D

Good luck with recovery! Keep the numbers coming.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

This may or may not help, but I was sent to a chiropractor who specializes in Active Release Technique for a lower back injury that sounds a lot like yours, except on the left side, and it's worked wonders for my recovery and range of motion.  For about 7 or 8 months I could barely get my knees to my chest, and now I'm back to probably 90% after one treatment, and have a few more scheduled.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 06:19:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. My back is recovering really well. Faster than I ever expected, though I have been doing everything in my power to make it recover the last 5 days. I'm hoping to get into the gym again tomorrow, maybe do some light deads. I have to try and get going again quickly, I don't have much time to waste with the worlds coming up in November. Will post again tomorrow on how I get on!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »
Did some light squatting today. Didn't quite get as far as deadlifting. My lower back felt tired just from squatting so I reined myself in and decided to call it a day after following the squats with some hanging leg raises. My back has like a distinct fatigue in it, but definitely feels better for it.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
Good luck.
What are jumps for?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
Good luck.
What are jumps for?

Thanks man. Just trying to maintain some dynamic strength. Plus, they're fun  :)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »
Training is picking up again for me. I was working 8 hours today and it was delivery day, so I was tired before I even got in the gym. I got there and the place was fucking packed. I just about managed to snatch enough plates for my working sets with my rack pulls. They went very well, although my right lower back still feels tight.

Also did a little deadlifting today. I'm glad I did. I had the sweetest deadlift workout I've had in a while. Every repm felt like gold. I think it's because I'm concentrating on my form a little more and thinking about pulling the bar against myself and not just upwards. It seems to be protecting my back.

After this I just did some supplementary exercises and some core work. All in all, a good day  :)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
Glad to hear ben. My back is fucked. I dont know whats doing it bit i am going back to normal squats. Considering using a belt on OHP too

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
I think it's because I'm concentrating on my form a little more and thinking about pulling the bar against myself and not just upwards. It seems to be protecting my back.

Good call.

Drag it up your shins, then your quads.

Keep it up against your body as tight as possible.

In meets i put baby powder on my quads for this reason.

8)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
Overlaod do you OHP

Do you wear a belt.

I always ahad a great deadlift now its fucked aint deadlifted properly in months and months. Thinking its maybe teh OHP doing this and jutting or affecting back

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
Overlaod do you OHP

Do you wear a belt.

I always ahad a great deadlift now its fucked aint deadlifted properly in months and months. Thinking its maybe teh OHP doing this and jutting or affecting back

Yes, but the only overhead pressing i do is the C&P.

I only use a belt on max attempts in the squat and deadlift.

i started doing the Clean & press back in high school(14 years ago) before i began deadlifting. for some reason the C&P has never really messed with my back, but once in a while it will wear it out, so i take an extra day to recover before deadlifting.

i haven't had a back injury in a very long time, but i don't yank the bar off the floor, i pull smoothly and let my legs drive it off the floor. i get my hips very low when i do deadlifts.

My C&P is more like a Clean & PUSH press, i put a good amount of leg drive into it.

I have a very large frame, all my joints are large for my height, so i think i am built for this type of stuff. my grandfather was a monster, his nickname was "Papa Bear", everyone in my family always says i look just like him. he was a brick layer for 20 years and was a strong dude.

8)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »
My joints are small and despute a large frame its not a heavy frame. By parents are only 5'6 and 5'8

I think i just kept aggravating it over time. Frustrating as best squatting i even done eas from july-dec last year and since then never really done much at all dquat wise. v annoying

My back doesnt get sore either really though just taking as a precaution.Despite not being able to squat or dead i can OHP.

I am gonna start suatting with great firm anad a wide stance. See how it goes. oh and a belt lol

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
My joints are small and despute a large frame its not a heavy frame. By parents are only 5'6 and 5'8

I think i just kept aggravating it over time. Frustrating as best squatting i even done eas from july-dec last year and since then never really done much at all dquat wise. v annoying

My back doesnt get sore either really though just taking as a precaution.Despite not being able to squat or dead i can OHP.

I am gonna start suatting with great firm anad a wide stance. See how it goes. oh and a belt lol

Be careful with your back, it can take a long time to recover.

Whenever i feel ANY tweak in my back, i quit deadlifting and squating for a few weeks.

Take your time, i have been doing this a long time and injuries are the worst setback in training, as well as life itself.

8)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 04:36:46 PM »
Good call.

Drag it up your shins, then your quads.

Keep it up against your body as tight as possible.

In meets i put baby powder on my quads for this reason.

8)

Yeh, I'm going to have to get some long socks, cos my shins are getting the shit torn out of them!  ;D

jml3001

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Dude - impressive transformation.  I'm also impressed with your video - since I'm pretty technologically challenged and impress easily...

Hey - have you posted your diet on here?  What do you weigh now? 

Anyway, seriously way to go - and after just a year...damn.