Author Topic: Titus Documents  (Read 3742 times)

pogue

• Getbig I
Titus Documents
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:13:45 PM »
Has anyone requested documents related to the Titus case from the LVPD or the DA's office?  I have sent in several requests to them and have gotten nothing in return.

I was just wondering if anyone has any luck with them.
BB.com Mod

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: Titus Documents
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:03:17 AM »
Has anyone requested documents related to the Titus case from the LVPD or the DA's office?  I have sent in several requests to them and have gotten nothing in return.

I was just wondering if anyone has any luck with them.

what specific document are you requesting?  and to whom did you direct you request?

pogue

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 05:09:22 AM »
what specific document are you requesting?  and to whom did you direct you request?

I called the LVPD and they told me to fax in my request for info.  I requested all the relevant documents related to the case, such as criminal complaints, warrants, mug shots, etc.

I sent the fax and never heard back.
BB.com Mod

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:22:02 AM »
it might end up on thesmokinggun.com

email them and tell them to get it, i'm sure they would be interested in doing so

pogue

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 11:58:33 AM »
it might end up on thesmokinggun.com

email them and tell them to get it, i'm sure they would be interested in doing so

I emailed them first :)

Never heard back...

I just got off the phone with the LVPD and they questioned whether or not I was a "real" journalist.  I'm going to call back later and speak with a Sgt in charge of the case and talk to him more.

Really, whether or not I'm a journalist is irrelevant as Nevada public law allows anyone to access public records.  The EFF has also fought a legal case to show the fact that bloggers can be considered journalists.  So, that's what I'll end up telling him if push comes to shove.
BB.com Mod

tech n9ne

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »
just break into the police station and steal the files.

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 02:32:01 PM »
Ongoing investigations are not public record.  You have to wait until the records are released.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:59:35 PM »
I called the LVPD and they told me to fax in my request for info.  I requested all the relevant documents related to the case, such as criminal complaints, warrants, mug shots, etc.

I sent the fax and never heard back.

email the public liaison located on the LVPD website

pogue

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:31:16 AM »
Ongoing investigations are not public record.  You have to wait until the records are released.

Yes, they are.  They are usually just censored to remove certain key information.

email the public liaison located on the LVPD website

I already did, and never heard back.  That's why I called them and they are questioning my credentials.  I have seen the documents shown on news programs, but for some reason they want to know who I work for and what I have written in the past.
BB.com Mod

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 05:03:17 AM »
Yes, they are.  They are usually just censored to remove certain key information.

I already did, and never heard back.  That's why I called them and they are questioning my credentials.  I have seen the documents shown on news programs, but for some reason they want to know who I work for and what I have written in the past.

sorry but i suspect you will have to wait a bit longer.  a human being has been killed.

pending matters. 

provide your information and they will consider it

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 02:03:47 PM »

Wrong!! 

pogue

• Getbig I
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 10:03:08 AM »

Wrong!! 

Just visit thesmokinggun.com and look what they have.  Many documents on recent and current events.  If this was a federal case I could request FOIA on it, but since it's local I have to go through some po-dunk sheriff who thinks he's hot shit.

Like I said, I've already seen local LV news reports that show the documents on the screen, including mug shots and copies of the police report that were linked to from freecraigtitus.com.  I'm just trying to get a scanned copy of it for us to read for ourselves.

Either way, they said they would release them, they were just questioning my credentials.  If I worked for a news agency, I would have them.
BB.com Mod

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 05:05:48 PM »
Just visit thesmokinggun.com and look what they have.  Many documents on recent and current events.  If this was a federal case I could request FOIA on it, but since it's local I have to go through some po-dunk sheriff who thinks he's hot shit.

Like I said, I've already seen local LV news reports that show the documents on the screen, including mug shots and copies of the police report that were linked to from freecraigtitus.com.  I'm just trying to get a scanned copy of it for us to read for ourselves.

Either way, they said they would release them, they were just questioning my credentials.  If I worked for a news agency, I would have them.

several members have press credentials
maybe their saving them for the tabloids