Author Topic: Student Suspended For Taking Down Mexican Flag  (Read 3937 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Student Suspended For Taking Down Mexican Flag
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
 :-\

David SolanoKIAH
May 7, 2010

SPRING, Texas - A student in Klein ISD has been slapped with a three-day suspension for what he did to the Mexican flag. He trashed it after the flag was put on display by another student inside Klein Collins High School on Cinco de Mayo.

The suspended student's mother said the punishment is not fair. It's a topic burning up talk radio.

"I think what's happening is that people are frustrated because patriotism is being downplayed or spat-upon while we're supposed to celebrate the culture and the nationality of other nations," said Michael Berry, a radio host on 740 KTRH-AM in Houston. "And I think Americans have had enough of that."

Berry is talking about what people are calling him to talk about - pictures from his website showing a Mexican flag displayed for everyone to see inside Klein Collins High School. The Klein Independent School District said a female student had permission when she hung the flag in honor of Cinco de Mayo.

"Apparently another student tore that flag down and threw it in the trash," said Trazanna Moreno, who's the associate superintendent for community relations at the Klein Independent School District (KISD).

"If anybody had the right to take the flag down, I think it was the school," said Della Burdett, a Houston native.

That student, who's a sophomore, was seen on surveillance taking the flag down.

"We never found the flag in the garbage," said Moreno. " We were never able to recover the flag."

39 News was told the teen must pay for the flag he threw away. As for why he did it? We're hearing the boy didn't think it was right for the Mexican flag to be posted higher than the American flag.

"We really want people to know that the school district and the campus did not do anything to dishonor the American flag or the Texas flag. We didn't fly the American flag upside down, as has been reported," Moreno said. "We didn't fly a Mexican flag from the flag pole."

People in the community have mixed feelings.

"I think suspension might be just a little too much," said Jason Roenker, who's lived in the Spring community for nine months. "I think that's a little harsh."

"If that kid wanted to celebrate his heritage he should be allowed to," said David Lopez, a Mexican-American, who told us how upset he and his family are after hearing about the incident. "Everybody should have that right."

"We're supposed to be land of the free; home of the brave," said Burdett. "That does not seem very free or brave to me."

Although the center of controversy, the recognition of the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo was no exception. The district said Klein Collins prides itself on celebrating culture and diversity.

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-mexican-flag-story,0,6151390.story

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Student Suspended For Taking Down Mexican Flag
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
They flew the Mexican flag above an American flag?

If that's the case this kid should be commended for what he did!
S

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
This ISN'T Mexico... Fuck their flag.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
LOL like I said gotta love Houston, klien is right about 15 mins or so from me

houston and its surronding areas are hot beds for this issue

I really dont see anything wrong with being proud of your ethinic heritage, ethinically Im half japanese and half american and very proud to be both. That being said we dont have a day when ppl can hang the japanese flag in school...

I think this was an over reaction by the boy that took the flag down, while I understand his sentiment I dont think the ppl who put the flag up meant any disrespect to America like many of the protests that are going on sometimes do I think they were just being proud of their ethinic heritage is all. I think you can be proud of your heritage while still being proud of being an american.

but this just highlights what a divisive issue this is and its probably not going to get better anytime soon unless the govt does something about it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
:-\

David SolanoKIAH
May 7, 2010

SPRING, Texas - A student in Klein ISD has been slapped with a three-day suspension for what he did to the Mexican flag. He trashed it after the flag was put on display by another student inside Klein Collins High School on Cinco de Mayo.

The suspended student's mother said the punishment is not fair. It's a topic burning up talk radio.

"I think what's happening is that people are frustrated because patriotism is being downplayed or spat-upon while we're supposed to celebrate the culture and the nationality of other nations," said Michael Berry, a radio host on 740 KTRH-AM in Houston. "And I think Americans have had enough of that."

Berry is talking about what people are calling him to talk about - pictures from his website showing a Mexican flag displayed for everyone to see inside Klein Collins High School. The Klein Independent School District said a female student had permission when she hung the flag in honor of Cinco de Mayo.

"Apparently another student tore that flag down and threw it in the trash," said Trazanna Moreno, who's the associate superintendent for community relations at the Klein Independent School District (KISD).

"If anybody had the right to take the flag down, I think it was the school," said Della Burdett, a Houston native.

That student, who's a sophomore, was seen on surveillance taking the flag down.

"We never found the flag in the garbage," said Moreno. " We were never able to recover the flag."

39 News was told the teen must pay for the flag he threw away. As for why he did it? We're hearing the boy didn't think it was right for the Mexican flag to be posted higher than the American flag.

"We really want people to know that the school district and the campus did not do anything to dishonor the American flag or the Texas flag. We didn't fly the American flag upside down, as has been reported," Moreno said. "We didn't fly a Mexican flag from the flag pole."
People in the community have mixed feelings.

"I think suspension might be just a little too much," said Jason Roenker, who's lived in the Spring community for nine months. "I think that's a little harsh."

"If that kid wanted to celebrate his heritage he should be allowed to," said David Lopez, a Mexican-American, who told us how upset he and his family are after hearing about the incident. "Everybody should have that right."

"We're supposed to be land of the free; home of the brave," said Burdett. "That does not seem very free or brave to me."

Although the center of controversy, the recognition of the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo was no exception. The district said Klein Collins prides itself on celebrating culture and diversity.

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-mexican-flag-story,0,6151390.story

weird story

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
They flew the Mexican flag above an American flag?

If that's the case this kid should be commended for what he did!

I didn't notice that part in the story

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
I didn't notice that part in the story

"As for why he did it? We're hearing the boy didn't think it was right for the Mexican flag to be posted higher than the American flag."

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
"As for why he did it? We're hearing the boy didn't think it was right for the Mexican flag to be posted higher than the American flag."

thanks - I see that now

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:53 PM »
What a bunch of bloody hypocrisy I'm reading!!!
People are saying a few days suspension is too harsh for a kid who purposely tore down and purposely trashed a flag, ...but want two Canadian hockey fans who accidently damaged a flag, to spend 20 yrs in jail?

What a bunch of self-righteous hypocrits!!!
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
What a bunch of bloody hypocrisy I'm reading!!!
People are saying a few days suspension is too harsh for a kid who purposely tore down and purposely trashed a flag, ...but want two Canadian hockey fans who accidently damaged a flag, to spend 20 yrs in jail?

What a bunch of self-righteous hypocrits!!!
DIFFERENT FLAG BRAIN CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your two idiots trashed an AMERICAN FLAG!!!!!!

this guy trashed a MEXICAN FLAG!!!!!!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:01 PM »
DIFFERENT FLAG BRAIN CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your two idiots trashed an AMERICAN FLAG!!!!!!

this guy trashed a MEXICAN FLAG!!!!!!

I realize that we're talking about 2 different flags. That's why I find the discrepancy so egregious.
You say that as if the American flag is somehow more precious than a Mexican flag. What arrogance!

It's as if unintended disrespect to Americans is somehow a gadzillion times worse than intentional disrespect towards Mexicans. I find an inherent racism so systemic and so entrenched, in that attitude it makes me want to spit. Reminds me of that asshole you once proclaimed a Black man has no rights that any White man is obligated to respect. The parallels here are all too obvious for anyone with eyes to see.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
It SHOULD be more important IN AMERICA.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:29:49 PM »
It SHOULD be more important IN AMERICA.

Why?
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
If you have to ask that, then you'll never understand.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »
I realize that we're talking about 2 different flags. That's why I find the discrepancy so egregious.
You say that as if the American flag is somehow more precious than a Mexican flag. What arrogance!

It's as if unintended disrespect to Americans is somehow a gadzillion times worse than intentional disrespect towards Mexicans. I find an inherent racism so systemic and so entrenched, in that attitude it makes me want to spit. Reminds me of that asshole you once proclaimed a Black man has no rights that any White man is obligated to respect. The parallels here are all too obvious for anyone with eyes to see.
youre beyond words idiotic  ::)

the American flag is more precious to AMERICANS than the Mexican flag...just like the canadian flag is more precious than the american flag to canadian...

since we both of these incidents took place in America you have to take that into account...there is no inherent racism here.... ::)

unintended...WHAT THE HELL do you think those 2 dip shits meant by their actions?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:41:21 PM »

Mexican is a race now?

WTF are you talking about?
S

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »
Mexican is a race now?

WTF are you talking about?
exactly...

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »
exactly...

On top of that, this is the United States, and if I want to wipe my ass on a Mexican flag I will.

S

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »
youre beyond words idiotic  ::)

the American flag is more precious to AMERICANS than the Mexican flag...just like the canadian flag is more precious than the american flag to canadian...

It's a piece of f-ing cloth!  ::)

since we both of these incidents took place in America you have to take that into account...there is no inherent racism here.... ::)

unintended...WHAT THE HELL do you think those 2 dip shits meant by their actions?

it was an Olympic related prank. No harm was intended, and the flag was accidently damaged in the process.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
On top of that, this is the United States, and if I want to wipe my ass on a Mexican flag I will.

oh what a brave little boy!  ::)
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
It's a piece of f-ing cloth!  ::)

it was an Olympic related prank. No harm was intended, and the flag was accidently damaged in the process.
yes yes jag its a piece of cloth but you see that piece of cloth isnt just a piece of cloth to AMERICANS...it stands for something to us just like the canadian flag stands for something to you...its just plain idiocy that you dont understand that...

lol yes it was a prank but why did they target the American flag jag? you have to ask yourselves these questions, nobody does ANYTHING without reason so what was their reasoning for doing this?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 12:02:40 AM »
yes yes jag its a piece of cloth but you see that piece of cloth isnt just a piece of cloth to AMERICANS...it stands for something to us just like the canadian flag stands for something to you...its just plain idiocy that you dont understand that...

lol yes it was a prank but why did they target the American flag jag? you have to ask yourselves these questions, nobody does ANYTHING without reason so what was their reasoning for doing this?

Because the great Olympic hockey showdown was between the US & Canada!
Are you normally as retarded in real life as you are on the internet?  ::)
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »
So that makes it ok to disrespect another country's symbol?

Hardly.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
So that makes it ok to disrespect another country's symbol?

Hardly.

There was no disrespect intended. it was a good natured prank, that resulted in unforeseen & unwanted results.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »
Because the great Olympic hockey showdown was between the US & Canada!
Are you normally as retarded in real life as you are on the internet?  ::)
LMAO again for every action there is a reason...id expect no less of a superficial analysis from you though so lets try again...

what was the reason for the prank?