Author Topic: Has bodybuilding gone off the cliff as sport and lifestyle?  (Read 3458 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Has bodybuilding gone off the cliff as sport and lifestyle?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
Bodybuilding is just a baby. The best is still to come. There's gonna be a freakiness that you just can't imagine! GOOD TIMES!!!
Z

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 03:15:59 PM »
It's a "sport" based on drug use.  No drugs equals no sport.  More and more my training has gone into functional training.  I admire the physiques of Olympic lifters, running backs, sprinters, wrestlers, etc. over cosmetic drug bloated bodybuilders.  Don't get me wrong I have lifted and followed the "sport" for many years.

I really have opened my eyes that if a physique isn't functional it's a waste of time spending time in the gym.  What good is looking good if you can't run a 6 minutes mile? What good is a big chest and arms if you can't do 65 full range of motion push ups in one minute?  What good is looking like you can rip someones head off if your just a poser in speedos?  What good is a 400lbs bench with a bench shirt when you don't have the power to power clean 250lbs.? 

I was in the weight room with some Rutgers division I football players. They would use maybe 5 lifts total in their training.  Power cleans, squats and some other basics.  These guys were crazy strong and fast.  I was just thinking what if the top ten bodybuilders were to square off with these kids on the football field.  The bodybuilders would be knocked on their ass as if they were children in my opinion. 

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »
It's a "sport" based on drug use.  No drugs equals no sport.  More and more my training has gone into functional training.  I admire the physiques of Olympic lifters, running backs, sprinters, wrestlers, etc. over cosmetic drug bloated bodybuilders.  Don't get me wrong I have lifted and followed the "sport" for many years.

I really have opened my eyes that if a physique isn't functional it's a waste of time spending time in the gym.  What good is looking good if you can't run a 6 minutes mile? What good is a big chest and arms if you can't do 65 full range of motion push ups in one minute?  What good is looking like you can rip someones head off if your just a poser in speedos?  What good is a 400lbs bench with a bench shirt when you don't have the power to power clean 250lbs.? 

I was in the weight room with some Rutgers division I football players. They would use maybe 5 lifts total in their training.  Power cleans, squats and some other basics.  These guys were crazy strong and fast.  I was just thinking what if the top ten bodybuilders were to square off with these kids on the football field.  The bodybuilders would be knocked on their ass as if they were children in my opinion. 

seriously.  Plus, to whoever said that the old guys didn't go the route that the new guys are going today with just more deca and primo...that's not a garuntee.  Vince Giranda used to say that Schwarzenegger would eat Deca like it was cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I love those old guys, but I'm sure they did that too...with everything!-oral sterioids, vitamens, supps...whatever. As much as they could, whenever they could-that was the thing back then anyway-more was better....ie: 4 hours of training per day, 20-30 sets per bodypart....

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »
That's great, but you do understand that many and I say many as in the majority, use performance enhancing drugs...and those sports would be nothing like they are without them.

I know, some would argue that there is no way on earth anyone could know this for fact. Well, I disagree. Look at football for instance. When you have running backs that push 250lbs and linemen over 350lbs who run a 40 in 4.7, are you going to try and say they are not taking something?

Those things you listed, they are all great, but does it really matter? Do you need to be able to rip someones head off? If you're an MMA guy, then yeah, sure...but if you're a comp BB, who cares.

And IMO, a competitive BB physique is functional, it's functional with in the parameters of what he's trying to do...why can't some see this?

You're prob right, but no need for me to blab anymore...everything I've just said pretty much sums up my opinion vs. yours.

BTW, I'm not being an ass, or anything like that, just stating my difference of opinion. Needed to say that because after all, this is getbig and what you say and do can and will be used against you, lol!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
 :) I am impressed with the quality of replys here and varied thoughtful opinions.
I will do my best to answer and offer my 2 cents of what has been said so far.

1. No, I am NOT going anywhere. I am die hard musclehead. However, I will no longer backdown or say "ahh shucks, ok" when it comes the extreme drug use in bodybuilding. The fact is , it is against the federal drug laws and rules of the IFBB on banned substances as well as a health hazzard.
In my opinion , the extreme use ruins the classic lines of a great physique.

2. I have always been against the extreme use of steroid based drugs. I remember speaking out against this back in the late 70's during the proverbial golden age of Pumping Iron. I am be a broken record , but I am consistant broken record.

3. While the examples of drugs in other sports is an intelligent analogy,I am not that interested in pro football or baseball, etc. My favorite sport is BODYBUILDING. I am only interested in bodybuilding.
I lost interest in pro sports years ago when it became more about media coverage and salary caps than the drama of sport competition.

4. In my humble opinion, fans that REQUIRE the pro bodybuilders to risk their health and drug laws to look freaky, are fans that don't really care about the personal welfare of those they cheer on the pro stage.
I would be more likely to attend and buy tickets to MORE pro events , if the pros ended extreme drug use and came in with less size, less freaky muscularity and retained their classic lines and shape.
Think how great it would be if a pro , could really compete well as a pro and not have to do the risky crap they do now. Having said that, I suspect many of them may actually PREFER being involved with this kind of risky bodybuilding lifestyle and may have some kind of physical or psychological addiction.

5. Please remember it is a PHYSIQUE not freak contest
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

The Coach

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2007, 06:13:17 PM »
And IMO, a competitive BB physique is functional, it's functional with in the parameters of what he's trying to do...why can't some see this?

I think you mis-interpreted his meaning of functional. BBin type training is the least functional of all training protocols, if I am understanding this correctly.

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 06:28:32 PM »
Clinical Study: MD After Party

Conclusion: Take up golf.

Wanocki

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 08:48:32 PM »

I really have opened my eyes that if a physique isn't functional it's a waste of time spending time in the gym.  What good is looking good if you can't run a 6 minutes mile? What good is a big chest and arms if you can't do 65 full range of motion push ups in one minute?  What good is looking like you can rip someones head off if your just a poser in speedos? 

what is the point in running a 6 minute mile or doing a lot of pushups in a short amount of time?  the whole point of bodybuilding is looking good

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
:) I am impressed with the quality of replys here and varied thoughtful opinions.
I will do my best to answer and offer my 2 cents of what has been said so far.

1. No, I am NOT going anywhere. I am die hard musclehead. However, I will no longer backdown or say "ahh shucks, ok" when it comes the extreme drug use in bodybuilding. The fact is , it is against the federal drug laws and rules of the IFBB on banned substances as well as a health hazzard.
In my opinion , the extreme use ruins the classic lines of a great physique.
Yes, it's against federal law to use these in the U.S. without a prescription, that much I'll give you. It is also against the IFBB's written rules, but everyone knows that this "rule" is only there for the protection of the IFBB...I would seriously doubt that it's a rule that was put in place for much more then simple show. Further, as we know, this rule is not encouraged by any means.

2. I have always been against the extreme use of steroid based drugs. I remember speaking out against this back in the late 70's during the proverbial golden age of Pumping Iron. I am be a broken record , but I am consistant broken record.
So would you say that some use of AAS or other performance enhancing drugs is permissible? You say that you're against "extreme use" so in your mind, is there a difference?
Further, would you be willing to admit that although many of those guys in the 70's you speak of, did not necessarily follow what many would call "responsible" use of AAS?

3. While the examples of drugs in other sports is an intelligent analogy,I am not that interested in pro football or baseball, etc. My favorite sport is BODYBUILDING. I am only interested in bodybuilding.
I lost interest in pro sports years ago when it became more about media coverage and salary caps than the drama of sport competition.
Those are things that have bothered me about other sports for a long while...prime example is basketball IMO.  But when it comes to the issue of drugs and any type of sport or competition, the analogy is one that matches up well for this argument IMO.

4. In my humble opinion, fans that REQUIRE the pro bodybuilders to risk their health and drug laws to look freaky, are fans that don't really care about the personal welfare of those they cheer on the pro stage.
I would be more likely to attend and buy tickets to MORE pro events , if the pros ended extreme drug use and came in with less size, less freaky muscularity and retained their classic lines and shape.
Think how great it would be if a pro , could really compete well as a pro and not have to do the risky crap they do now. Having said that, I suspect many of them may actually PREFER being involved with this kind of risky bodybuilding lifestyle and may have some kind of physical or psychological addiction.
You make some good points, I for one would prefer for these people to not have to go as far as they do, particularly when it comes to final stages of contest prep. But I am a bit more liberal in my thinking I guess then you are. I can understand and relate to the "do whatever it takes" attitude. Can that be risky? Sure. Is it always the smartest approach? Probably not. But it's like anything worth achieving in life...there will be risk you have to take if you are going to go beyond the norm...same can be applied in regards to business ventures. The goals is to make the smartest risky decisions as you can...will there be downfalls? Yes, and this is very unfortunate. Would I like it if these downfalls did not exist? Yes.

5. Please remember it is a PHYSIQUE not freak contest
True, but it's a physique contest that demands going beyond "normal." There has to be a quasi supernatural element for it to be deemed legitimate and professional.

I think you mis-interpreted his meaning of functional. BBin type training is the least functional of all training protocols, if I am understanding this correctly.
What I meant was this. Bodybuilding style training, competitive bodybuilding style training, is functional for the bodybuilder to be able to stand on stage and display what he does...that is it's primary function. It's not intended to be viewed as functional in terms of moving objects or ripping off heads.

djohnsen

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 01:05:45 AM »
Don't know when aas started to be illegal drugs in USA. But that must have changed the sport drastically. Suddenly people had to get drugs from drug dealers. Shady people started to get involved with bb - and bb had to relate to a criminal enviroment.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2007, 04:32:30 AM »
Who's to say what is or isn't extreme?  I'd say that's based on the individual.  It's easier to just keep it natural, no pro hormones either.  Just creatine and glutamine.  Then, see where everyone's gains lie.  I'd dominate about 95% of the jokers out there, guaranteed. ;)
N

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2007, 04:54:03 AM »
  I admire the physiques of Olympic lifters, running backs, sprinters, wrestlers, etc. over cosmetic drug bloated bodybuilders.   

Well after reading your post it is obvious that knowledge and experience doesn't come with age. Firstly, you admire the physiques of the above mentioned, well i hate to tell you, but the majority of those professionals are "on" stuff. There are forms of doping in nearly every sport imaginable, there are other athletes out there other than bodybuilders who use anabolic steroids.

And to then go on and say shit like bodybuilders would get their asses handed to them by football players, whether it is true or not, you come across as one of the insecure people who when they see a bodybuilder have to say things like "yeah hes big but a heavyweight boxer would knock him out" etc etc.

Bodybuilding is about, and judged, on looks. No one cares if a bodybuilder can or cannot run a 6 min mile. It is irrelevant to the sport.

Sorry for the rant.
No doubt about it...

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
Who's to say what is or isn't extreme?  I'd say that's based on the individual.  It's easier to just keep it natural, no pro hormones either.  Just creatine and glutamine.  Then, see where everyone's gains lie.  I'd dominate about 95% of the jokers out there, guaranteed. ;)

Hmmm, personal opinion? No , it is against the law and the actual rules of the organization that governs the sport.
If a sport or organizations fails to make any effort to enforce their own rules, one of the other needs to happne.
1. Simply change or delete the rule    2. law suit!

Jay Culter got his diuretic test  positive thrown out in 2001 when he challenged it with a lawyer.
The IFBB's drug policy would fold like a house a cards in open court .

Now as for the fine , thoughtful reply from Arnold Jr let me address a couple of his points.
I know most of the big guys since the 1960's were on some amounts of juice.
One again, I really don't care if a top bodybuilder uses a small, sensible amount of AAS.
It is up to the organization and judges to keep things in check however.
For example, if guys OVER 250 did not dominate the Olympia, and those lighter, quality physiques started winning, that would be a major step in the right direction.
The Jim Manion "belly ban" was 100% right on the money.
The problem is in understanding moderation and not in going to extremes for the sake of a pro drug or natural agenda.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!