Author Topic: core/functional training  (Read 2320 times)

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
core/functional training
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
I want to start personal training and have been reading a lot about this being included more and more in training. What kind of exercises are included in this type of training?
muscle

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: core/functional training
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »
Crunches,leg raises,deadlifts,hyperextensions............back in the day,we called it training abs and erectors !!

"Core training".....WTF!!!  LOL  :)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:59:50 PM »
these days it always include one of those balls  :-\
Z

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »
Step-ups (aerobic) 20 sec
   Rows (sitting) w/ dumbells
   Lumbar extension
   Squats w/ Swiss ball
   Reverse flies w/ Swiss ball & dumbbells
   Plank hold
   Hamstring flexion w/ Swiss ball
   Crunches w/ Swiss ball
   Modified push-ups
   Biceps curl

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:23:34 PM »
 ;D

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
I dont believe in it ball mumbo jumbo.
I think squats, deads or any exercise you do standing up works you core.
I pulled a muscle in my lower abs last year and I could not even do curls!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:33:07 AM »

you are correct.

all that core, ball and pilates bullshit is designed by trainers who want to justify their existance and exorbitant fees.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »
you are correct.

all that core, ball and pilates bullshit is designed by trainers who want to justify their existance and exorbitant fees.

Core is to feminine.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »
To core,or not to core.................NOT !!!!!!!!!  :)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:49:54 PM »
you are correct.

haha, no kidding 100 bucks an hour to play on a giant ball.  ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 03:22:21 PM »
you are correct.

Yes.
And most 165lb personal trainers will tell you that the reason you pulled your lower ab muscle is that you need to do more core exercises.

They’ll have you doing dumbbell presses while trying to balance your ass on a ball. You’ll never be able to maximally work your chest because you’re wasting so much effort on the balancing act.
Then, because it often is tricky to get the hang of, you (the client) will think you’re in desperate need of the PT’s help and will sign up for more sessions.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »
I want to start personal training and have been reading a lot about this being included more and more in training. What kind of exercises are included in this type of training?

While I (and many others) think that most core training is bullsh!t, sadly, it is a double edged sword for someone in your position.
If you refuse to teach it, you risk losing the clientele that is looking specifically for that method because it is the trendy thing to do right now.
If you do promote it, well…you see where I’m going with this.

You’ll probably do well to incorporate some core training to satisfy the people who want it, but make sure to also stress the tried and proven methods that will get your clients results.
That should keep EVERYBODY happy.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 07:51:34 AM »
Most people have no clue what integrated functional training is, including those in this thread (no offense guys).  So if you're not doing it, most people aren't going to be the wiser.   There's no standard definition but,  functional training, or functional movement, is the ability to move and respond to daily activities without restriction. Activities like playing with our kids, carrying groceries, playing softball, or stepping off a curb are functional tasks we should be able to do without injury or pain.  In nearly everything you do, from lifting a child to vacuuming the house to lifting the groceries, your core is involved.  Functional training is a strength training option that focuses on exercises that can be transferred from in the gym to activities of daily work, sport or life to ultimately enhance the quality of life.

Simple and effective “toys” are things such as stability balls, medicine balls, foam rollers, Aeromats,  gel pads, rocker boards, Bosu balls, bands and tubing.   Because of these items being unstable, you are constantly challenged to maintain posture by contracting the abdominals, lower back and gluteal muscles. While doing a multitude of different exercises, the trunk musculature works simultaneously to balance and stabilize the body.

Is it a good protocol for bodybuilding?  Of course not entirely, but much of it can be incorporated into a regime with noticeable gains/improvements.  Getting all the body's systems working in sync with each other builds a functional body.
:

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 08:12:09 AM »
Most people have no clue what integrated functional training is, including those in this thread (no offense guys).  So if you're not doing it, most people aren't going to be the wiser.   There's no standard definition but,  functional training, or functional movement, is the ability to move and respond to daily activities without restriction. Activities like playing with our kids, carrying groceries, playing softball, or stepping off a curb are functional tasks we should be able to do without injury or pain.  In nearly everything you do, from lifting a child to vacuuming the house to lifting the groceries, your core is involved.  Functional training is a strength training option that focuses on exercises that can be transferred from in the gym to activities of daily work, sport or life to ultimately enhance the quality of life.

Simple and effective “toys” are things such as stability balls, medicine balls, foam rollers, Aeromats,  gel pads, rocker boards, Bosu balls, bands and tubing.   Because of these items being unstable, you are constantly challenged to maintain posture by contracting the abdominals, lower back and gluteal muscles. While doing a multitude of different exercises, the trunk musculature works simultaneously to balance and stabilize the body.

Is it a good protocol for bodybuilding?  Of course not entirely, but much of it can be incorporated into a regime with noticeable gains/improvements.  Getting all the body's systems working in sync with each other builds a functional body.

i knew a woman would jump on this.

women love their toys, don't they 'princess'? lol at the irony.

nobody does squats with over 500lbs without a strong core sweetheart, so fuck off back to the kitchen, i think the banana cake's ready. :D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »
Core training would revolve around the muscles of the trunk, with special attention to the obliques, ab's (upper/lower) and the small of the back. Core training allows the transfer of body strength from the lower to the upper and vice verse. Example: a good boxer/martial artist punching power should start from the floor (legs) through the center of the body (core) and that power release at the point of his fist. Core training also helps the body torque and release that power. Any twisting or side to side motion will depend on the core muscle structure in any sport. Core muscles are called upon for heavy support work like overhead presses/jerks, Dl's and squating also.

Doing GoodMornings, DB side bends and  ab work (heavy, weighted workouts) would be direct exercises to consider when training the center/core of the trunk muscle unit. Example would be if one would train (with serious intent) using heavy GM'ing, their personal squat poundage could go up greatly. Reps are usually in the 3 to 6 range.

If one was a pure BB'er than heavy core training might be out of the question for them. The waist area  can become thicker/wider with muscle mass when the obliques/abs are focused upon. In any event, the abs, lower back and obliques are one of the strongest muscle groups in the body and should be trained that way if power lifts and all around sport training are the goals.

In my view, the only good things to come out of Switzerland  are chocolate, watches and hidden bank accounts. Those Swiss ball are OK for the average person with limited goals. But serious lifters (and BB'ers) should train the core of the trunk hard and heavy for best results. Most all the other lifts and sport abilities should go up as a result of extra trunk/core training. Good Luck.
F

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
to write off core training is to really show ignorance.  For someone looking to put on muscle mass and size core training is little more than a thing 'skinny' people do. 

For everyday people, athletes and a lot of professional sports stars it is part of their training and a very important part too.  It's no secret athletes are getting bigger, faster, stronger yet what has changed? Diet, different training regimes and core training.  I'm not so stupid as to say core training is the main reason why genetics has something to do with it, as does the mental barrier (once you see someone else do it, it becomes more realistic and attainable) but it's not something i would simply write off.  Go into any NFL, NBA, NHL weight room and i guarantee you'll see the best athletes in the world using 'girly' swiss balls all whilst being able to actually have athletic ability and use their muscles for more than flexing in their underpants. 
Abandon every hope...

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 02:38:22 PM »
For everyday people, athletes and a lot of professional sports stars it is part of their training and a very important part too.  It's no secret athletes are getting bigger, faster, stronger yet what has changed? Diet, different training regimes and core training.  I'm not so stupid as to say core training is the main reason why genetics has something to do with it, as does the mental barrier (once you see someone else do it, it becomes more realistic and attainable) but it's not something i would simply write off.  Go into any NFL, NBA, NHL weight room and i guarantee you'll see the best athletes in the world using 'girly' swiss balls all whilst being able to actually have athletic ability and use their muscles for more than flexing in their underpants. 

Not really, what's changed is the advent of decades of steroid use and knowing what works and what doesn't.  The bigger, faster, stronger athletes are aware of this and are using it to their advantage.  You'll also see in these same weight rooms rampant use of AAS.  You can't honestly believe that genetics has played that much of a role this quickly?  Evolution doesn't work that way.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »
i knew a woman would jump on this.

women love their toys, don't they 'princess'? lol at the irony.

nobody does squats with over 500lbs without a strong core sweetheart, so fuck off back to the kitchen, i think the banana cake's ready. :D

The day you post a video of you squatting 500lbs, I'll consider making a cake.  Meanwhile, you know what you can do with that banana.
:

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 08:18:47 PM »
The day you post a video of you squatting 500lbs, I'll consider making a cake.  Meanwhile, you know what you can do with that banana.

i'll make you a deal. i'll post a vid of me squatting 500lbs right after you've posted one of you naked draped face down over a fitness ball with your ass all up in the air, doing pushups. :-*

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 09:20:49 PM »
i'll make you a deal. i'll post a vid of me squatting 500lbs right after you've posted one of you naked draped face down over a fitness ball with your ass all up in the air, doing pushups. :-*
Sorry  :-*  that would be improper form.
:

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 09:58:13 PM »
Sorry  :-*  that would be improper form.

aww, come on now p, surely your strong core would handle it?

joelocal

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 10:06:34 PM »
you are correct.

Holy shit you're clueless.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 11:00:54 PM »
Holy shit you're clueless.

oh hello intenseone, coach joelocal.

mr 'frank zane like shredded' himself has returned for a quick visit before he does his academy award not-winning meltdown again.

tell us, oh cellulite ridden ass one, your pearls of wisdom? ;D

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 07:15:23 AM »
Everyone forgets the main premise behind functional training known as Proprioceptive neurofacilitation, or teaching the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system to work better together.  It allows people to react faster and more appropriately to opposing forces.  This is great for athletes in many sports, but has minimal applications for bodybuilders and powerlifters. 

Research has also shown that women prefer more entertaining forms of weightlifting, where men are content with standard lifting protocols.  So from a personal trainer perspective it is very important to know how to cater workout routines to a specific client to keep their interest and get results.

However imho functional training is way overblown and simply implementing more dumbell work, squats, and deadlifts will achieve many of the same results with a greater gain of strength and muscle mass.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 07:28:19 AM »
Let's stay on topic guys.  Keep the insults elsewhere.
Squishy face retard