Author Topic: Joining the army...  (Read 2101 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Joining the army...
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
So I plan to be done with school in a year or so... There are army recruiters trying to convince me to join, because my qualifications are needed in the army...

I am thinking about it.. What do you guys think?

On the one hand, I wanna enjoy my post-school years, finally have a job that pays, get into bbing some more etc... on the other hand, i wonder if i am called upon to serve in the greatest army in the world..

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
Re: Joining the army...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »
I am thinking of learning arabic in case i get sent to iraq...

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »
yeah but if i am gonna be workin among them arabs, i wanna know every single thing they're saying,.... besides, u cant count on them to speak intelligible english...

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »
be a real man join the Marines...:) Army doggies are lost even with a compass...Hey YMBL... ;D

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »
Yea but if he wants to choose his MOS, this is the worst branch.

Hate to be a bummer but all the MOS right now are "as needed" which means Iraq.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
So I plan to be done with school in a year or so... There are army recruiters trying to convince me to join, because my qualifications are needed in the army...

On the one hand, I wanna enjoy my post-school years, finally have a job that pays, get into bbing some more etc... on the other hand, i wonder if i am called upon to serve in the greatest army in the world..

Are you graduating from high school or college?  If you're graduating from high school, I'd try and get the Army College Fund (in addition to the GI Bill).  That will limit your MOS options, but it's a huge financial benefit (or at least it used to be).  As far as an MOS is concerned, cannot go wrong with one of the languages.  I think the language school used to be in Monterey.  Not sure where it is now.  Also, I think the language MOS requires a longer commitment?   

If you're graduating from college, then a commission is a great thing.  I'd try and stay out of combat arms if you can. 

Regardless, I think it will absolutely benefit you in the long run.     

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
graduating college... i get regular letters, emails, and phone calls from these recruiters... they say the army needs me... maybe it's because they know i'm a violent, angry, sadistic bastard...:)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
Hate to be a bummer but all the MOS right now are "as needed" which means Iraq.
0300 infantry...  It's a guarantee for most.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:44:40 PM »
graduating college... i get regular letters, emails, and phone calls from these recruiters... they say the army needs me... maybe it's because they know i'm a violent, angry, sadistic bastard...:)

There is definitely a need, and there are few higher callings than military service IMO, but a commission will absolutely benefit you for years to come.  You can do one tour, make it a career, join the reserves, etc.  Also, there are at least two programs the Army offers where they will pay for your entire medical or legal education.  You earn your full salary while in medical or law school and you have a service commitment of like four years (or something like that) after you graduate.  There are few better deals out there.  The son (an LT) of one of my friends (a retired Sergeant Major) is on the medical program.  

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 06:01:15 PM »
I have no regrets on serving in the Army. I traveled, got my degree (GI and college fund combined - then it was 30,000 I think it's around 50,000 now) but that big ass sand box across the ocean sucked. I was able to choose my MOS and I had a decent gig because of my score but the way shit is now you will end up a grunt no matter what the recruiters tell you, they lie almost everytime the open their mouth. Air Force and Navy have the best duty stations and the best educational benefits if that helps any.

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 06:20:14 PM »
be enlisted first, the officers my buddies and i have the most respect for started out as enlisted.  there are good ones that have always been commission, but even my lt's tell us that they think it should be a requirement.

and it's the mos you choose, unless you fail out of your school.  Don't let the lesser beings, i mean marines, tell you otherwise.  quit barking devil dogs.

and even in the marines you can usually choose a field to be in.  

whatever you do, talk to the people with the jobs not just the recruiters.
you suck at life...

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 07:38:51 PM »
eh wtf... i'll learn arabic any way... it might come in handy some day if i meet another hot lebanese chick..

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 07:42:09 PM »

Joining sounds like a selfless act, but really it's up to you. It's your life, dude.

If you are graduating from college, then I don't see the point in joining. I think it would be better to just look for work.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:11:08 PM »
if you learn arabic it would be a very smart move. CIA would nut themsleves for you in the future
Valhalla awaits.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 08:47:33 PM »
Without any military experience....Rangers/SF/SEALs..etc he's not going to do anthing fun in the CIA. There are a million guys with trigger time all over the middle east looking for those jobs. 

Bud u really need to think about what ur going to do. The war in Iraq is horrible. Its not much better over here. This is not a conventional war and no matter what ur doing u will get deployed. What u see on the news is what ur going to get. That said,  it were me I'd enlist in the Marines and try and go to OCS/OCC. Or go to OCS in the Army. I enlisted in the marines outa HS and then got out and went to school and took a commision. I've been in to long to quit. Think about this. If u have any other questions u can PM me.
L

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 09:12:26 PM »
enlisting in the Marine Corps was one of the smartest things i ever did. regardless of whether or not you go enlisted, commissioned, no matter what MOS, serving in the marine corps will teach you things you would never learn or experience in the "real world". dont get me wrong, there are plenty of things in the real world that you will not learn or experience in the military, but the things you take from military experience you will carry and use for the rest of your life. not to mention that EVERY job i ever applied for no matter if i was over or under qualified i was i got because i had military experience on my resume.

now....enlisted...during a war on 2 fronts? as stated above, you might not have a choice as to what you will do....but..if i was to join bow...knowing what i know?...i would join as 0300, then try to attach to a specialized unit within the Marines. scout sniper, force recon, or the new units they are prepping now to work with delta..etc. (although these units shouldnt materialize for another year or two from what i read) if youre gonna be in the heat regardless...you want the best training you can get. just because youre in motor transport doesnt mean youre safe. if you see "action", you dont want your dick swingin' in the breeze....because your head could be the next to get sawed off

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 07:33:47 AM »
He should go STA

2/7 S.T.A. 88-90 semper fi...:)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 08:01:29 AM »

dead man.   

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 08:06:27 AM »
Clayton Bigsby would join the STA platoons...

Clayton is the man.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 08:12:02 AM »
If you have hate in heart....let it out!

The first time I saw that  skit  I laughed so hard my side hurt. :D

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 08:31:20 AM »

" HEY!!  I am in no way shape or form, a part of any N***erdome!! "

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »
Where were you stationed?
2 yrs in DC then 2/7 pendelton before the unit moved to 29 stumps in 90'  (Jarhead was About my unit..sorry)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »
2 yrs in DC then 2/7 pendelton before the unit moved to 29 stumps in 90'  (Jarhead was About my unit..sorry)
My buddy was STA and i guess he alot of training in Hawaii
Squishy face retard

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
My buddy was STA and i guess he alot of training in Hawaii
Kanalui bay?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 11:46:56 AM »
I only knew swafford thru the in-doc we did for his incoming group in Oki, He did not come on full time until we got back and the unit went to 29 palms and I got out.

Sounds like Hawaii, hot sticky and scenic..:)