Author Topic: 80's ROCK baby!  (Read 2071 times)

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
80's ROCK baby!
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:13:11 PM »
I'm 19, but i have always been a fan of 80's rock more than this new shit. Some 90's was good, but into 2000's it ended up down the shitter. Now you have these kids thinking "My chemical cumbath" is good music. I hate these fuckers that shop at Hot Topic just to "fit in" with the crowd and be part of the present mainstream that is.. how do u say- SHIT. I know some of you guys gotta love 80's and some older classic rock. These are my fav's in no particular order:

1-Guns N Roses/Van Halen -tie for #1
2-Ozzy
3-38 special
4-Eddie Money
5-Doobie Bro's
6-Steve Miller Band
7-Billy Idol
8-Def Leppard
9-Iron Maiden
10-Winger
11-Bad Company
12-Foghat
13-Blue Oyster Cult
14-Scorpions
15-Tom Petty 
16-Motley Crue
17-Poison

What's some of yours? Whoever is gonna say "80's suck" are the type of "guys" that are just getting a new car in high school, turn up the radio with windows down playing the latest EMO rock (Anal cab for cutie, 30 seconds to jizz, or Crossgayed)

boonstack

• Getbig IV
Re: 80's ROCK baby!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:20:01 PM »
i forgot Eric Clapton, Rush, Foreigner, Metallica (maybe) Marshall Tucker Band, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Heart, Joan Jett & Blackhearts, AC/DC.. ill think of more

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:22:41 PM »
I'm 19, but i have always been a fan of 80's rock more than this new shit.

very different 80s music than what I experienced.  New Wave was the music of my youth*.

* for some value of youth

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
very different 80s music than what I experienced.  New Wave was the music of my youth*.

* for some value of youth

yea man i didn't mean to isolate "rock" during that time frame... retro was happening too!

Nobody can even name HALF the amount of bands I listed that are around today that are actually GOOD: With a few exceptions---- RHCP,
Old RATM, Pantera, some Zakk Wylde.... I'm gonna make a short list of the most "common" bands kids think are good today.

1-seether
2-The OffSperm - SOME good songs tho ill admit
3-My chemical romance
4-Army of Anyone
5-Eve 6
6-Saliva
 shit i dont even know anymore bands that are ok

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
there was more good rock produced in any given Month in the 80's than in the last 19 years combined

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
there was more good rock produced in any given Month in the 80's than in the last 19 years combined

i retract my previous statement in the other post. ;D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
No ACDC? How can you forget the dirty deeds from down under?

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 01:11:15 PM »
i forgot Eric Clapton, Rush, Foreigner, Metallica (maybe) Marshall Tucker Band, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Heart, Joan Jett & Blackhearts, AC/DC.. ill think of more

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
There are some decent bands that came out after the 80s I love real 80s rock not the hair metal shit, like twisted sister or some of the other bands like that. I like Rush, Primus, Slayer, Pantera, Guns and Roses, ACDC the 60s 70s and 80s had real good music. Back then there were bands like Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Zepplin and many others. Now like you say there are shit bands around.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
pardon, I'm drunk..

YOU SHOOOK ME ALLL NIGHT LONG YEAH YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT ALONG YEAH1!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »
There are some decent bands that came out after the 80s I love real 80s rock not the hair metal shit, like twisted sister or some of the other bands like that. I like Rush, Primus, Slayer, Pantera, Guns and Roses, ACDC the 60s 70s and 80s had real good music. Back then there were bands like Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Zepplin and many others. Now like you say there are shit bands around.
those bands actually had creativity, talent, and variety, nowdays the 'rock bands' are afraid to do anything even remotely original, they all sound the same, all their songs follow the same formulas, use the same power chords all the time, and all their singers are clones of each other

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 03:08:15 PM »
I'm surprised this thread has been up for 3 hours and Jeff_Miller hasn't chimed in yet!
Ron: "I am lazy."

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 05:31:18 AM »
I'm surprised this thread has been up for 3 hours and Jeff_Miller hasn't chimed in yet!

This thread is Miller approved

But I am disturbed by the lack of Whitesnake in the first list
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 05:56:44 AM »
That's 70's and 80's... That's my time ;D You have good taste ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 05:58:35 AM »

saw them with quiet riot.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 06:02:09 AM »
saw them with quiet riot.

cum on feel the noize  ;D

LOVE 80's music...mostly rock though

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 07:10:53 AM »
&mode=related&search=

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 09:04:25 AM »

son of a bitch my bad... i am a big fan of w.snake. Damn Yankees, Nugent, Boston, Mellencamp, L.A. Guns... ahh damn i keep remembering more. And 70's is good also baby!

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »
hell yea pumpster! I have about 15 diff live DVD's of classic rock bands in concert. Fog Hat and blue oyster cult is coming here in june.. front row baby ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »
hell yea pumpster! I have about 15 diff live DVD's of classic rock bands in concert. Fog Hat and blue oyster cult is coming here in june.. front row baby ;D
I just mentioned the 70's because you listed some bands from the 70's and some that had their best stuff from the 70's  Eagles, Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, The Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller Band, Eric Clapton.  And a few others like Forigner and Iron Maiden cross late 70's early 80's at the height of popularity.  but you definitly have a taste that hits 70/80's rock.  Absolute perfection ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »
Kansas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don Henley
Fleetwood Mac
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Grand Funk Railroad
Jethro Tull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Queen
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Meat Loaf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Santana

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Georgia Satellites, CCR, Twisted Sister, L.A. Guns, Crosby Stills & Nash, STEELY DAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
Georgia Satellites, CCR, Twisted Sister, L.A. Guns, Crosby Stills & Nash, STEELY DAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Dio
Scorpions
Krokus
Rainbow
Tiumph
Dream Theater
Queensryche

Steely Dan, I like that song, Ricky don't lose that Number, but knowing the ricky is Rick Derringer :-\ LOL, still good song anyway ;D

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »
Berserker - in your opinion, do you think if a band was formed today that STRICTLY used the equipment they had in the 70's-80's (so it wouldnt sound so emo'ish)- that the american people would like it? I think so b/c all of these "rock" bands today have the mirror image of each other and don't sound any different. You knew GnR when u heard them, u knew Boston when u heard them... now u dont know who the hell is playing unless ur a fan. I've heard Record Companies don't wanna sign bands that sound like the 80's era but i think thats bs b/c all they should be concerned with is sales. Gotta give it a shot right? I'd love to play in a band like that...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »
Berserker - in your opinion, do you think if a band was formed today that STRICTLY used the equipment they had in the 70's-80's (so it wouldnt sound so emo'ish)- that the american people would like it? I think so b/c all of these "rock" bands today have the mirror image of each other and don't sound any different. You knew GnR when u heard them, u knew Boston when u heard them... now u dont know who the hell is playing unless ur a fan. I've heard Record Companies don't wanna sign bands that sound like the 80's era but i think thats bs b/c all they should be concerned with is sales. Gotta give it a shot right? I'd love to play in a band like that...
Actually now's a good time for this.  I've heard quite a few bands picking up cues from the 80's, vocals of audioslave, Dirty Americans, definitely bands like The Darkness... The vocals are different but the rest of the sound from The Darkness is vintage 80's style.  But then if you don't have some twist, that's just it, they won't sign you. But I know what you're talking about, so many of these bands today, I don't have a clue who they are from the next band.  Some of them sound exactly the same. And then there are sometimes great surprises like Billy Idol with his latest CD. Devil's Playground that up and for the first time since the 80's delivers vintage Billy Idol sound. There's some retro sounds in Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Andrew W.K.