Author Topic: Roman surnames and names in general..  (Read 2113 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Roman surnames and names in general..
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »
Is it me, or are ancient Roman names just cool?

I mean stuff like Remus, Lucius, Claudius, Nero, Tiberius, Markus, Gaius, Marius, Pompey; could go on and on.

Just fucking cool. Why don't new parents today choose these names instead of something common, boring and unoriginal, such as "JOHN" or "MUHAMMAD"?

Great men who set the stone for western culture held these names. They are far more important than some closet magician guys who spread lies and did nothing for humanity.

Alcohol tends out to bring out your inner most thoughts, so bear with me. And if you are with child, do me a fucking favor and pick a name like Romulus, Cato or Gaius.

Expand on this idea, please. Even Medford is allowed to chime in.

affy

Re: Roman surnames and names in general..
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »

I mean stuff like Remus, Lucius, Claudius, Nero, Tiberius, Markus, Gaius, Marius, Pompey; could go on and on.

Just fucking cool. Why don't new parents today choose these names instead of something common, boring and unoriginal, such as "JOHN" or "MUHAMMAD"?

Great men who set the stone for western culture held these names. They are far more important than some closet magician #### who spread lies and did nothing for humanity.

Alcohol tends out to bring out your inner most thoughts, so bear with me. And if you are with child, do me a fucking favor and pick a name like Romulus, Cato or Gaius.

Maximus Decimus Meridius is a pretty badass name

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:04:14 PM »
Maximus Decimus Meridius is a pretty badass name

NOW THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:16:20 PM »
i always thought these one-name roman/greek style names were awesome.

that said damn camel, seems like your drinking up a storm lately plus lots of other drugs.

pushinweight

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »
Yes they are awesome.  Mine name is Wellis Hungus Bigus Cockus

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:51 AM »

Great men who set the stone for western culture held these names. They are far more important than some closet magician #### who spread lies and did nothing for humanity.

I agree 100%.

Romans had it all right.
As empty as paradise

Alex23

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:01:27 AM »

U still drinking Mofo? I thought you switched to pills to curb your habit?

Or are you mixing both?

I ask because I care.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:25:45 AM »
If Brazilian footballers can, you can. Remember Socrates, anyone?

Why not give your child an ancient greek name like Thucydides, Agamemnon or Sophocles?

Euripides C. Jockey is certainly unique & would be a great name for your first born.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »

U still drinking Mofo? I thought you switched to pills to curb your habit?

Or are you mixing both?

I ask because I care.

I ran out of cheap wine.. And I stopped with the valium and ECA. I was drinking vodka last night.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:04:35 PM »
Goatius Boyus
Ron: "I am lazy."

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
roman names are bad ass some are real cool.

Thing is if you were a slave aor peasant you had one name e.g caecilius i think. im tryoing to remember this fom latin at school

if you master released you you would be caecilius iucundas taking ur masters name as well. then if you were affluent you had 3 names.

i sould be wrong.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
Three names

The first is least important(Lucius), second implies the family lineage(Cornelius), and the last, which is used to refer to the person(Sulla).

Gaius Julius Caesar. Juli was his family name, Gaius was just there, and Caesar was more of a first name.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »

Gaius Julius Caesar. Juli was his family name, Gaius was just there, and Caesar was more of a first name.

if i remember my latin right, gaius was the praenomen (first name), he was of the gens julii (family name), and caesar was the branch of the family he belonged to.  think his father was gaius julius caesar too . . .
the most important part of his name was obviously julius . . . the dynasty he founded were known as the Julio-claudians.  the claudii were a different gens, however. 

In rome, adoption and marriage were good ways of becoming af-fil-iated.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 07:14:19 PM »
if i remember my latin right, gaius was the praenomen (first name), he was of the gens julii (family name), and caesar was the branch of the family he belonged to.  think his father was gaius julius caesar too . . .
the most important part of his name was obviously julius . . . the dynasty he founded were known as the Julio-claudians.  the claudii were a different gens, however. 

In rome, adoption and marriage were good ways of becoming af-fil-iated.

I will be titled Lucius in due time, or Marius. Which one do you think suits my personality better?

I identify with Lucius Cornelius Sulla more so than Gaius Marius.. This I get from the readings I've gathered on them..

Damn... Wouldn't Lucius look powerful on a resume/and or cover letter? Or would Marius shine through better?

Alex23

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »
I ran out of cheap wine.. And I stopped with the valium and ECA. I was drinking vodka last night.

Not helping still. You drink to curb the anxiety?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
I will be titled Lucius in due time, or Marius. Which one do you think suits my personality better?

I identify with Lucius Cornelius Sulla more so than Gaius Marius.. This I get from the readings I've gathered on them..

Damn... Wouldn't Lucius look powerful on a resume/and or cover letter? Or would Marius shine through better?

let me guess . . . you've discovered colleen mccullough.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »
Not helping still. You drink to curb the anxiety?

And general stress from the day.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »
let me guess . . . you've discovered colleen mccullough.

No, never heard of that person.

I do like roman history though.. Pre-empire to be exact and some empire.. From Sulla/Marius all the way to Nero.

And do not ask me how I came to like those figures.. I just did.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:24:42 PM »
No, never heard of that person.

I do like roman history though.. Pre-empire to be exact and some empire.. From Sulla/Marius all the way to Nero.

And do not ask me how I came to like those figures.. I just did.

she wrote historical novels about gaius marius and sulla . . . think she got all the way to caesar w them . . . they were good reads . . . especially if you like Rome on HBO.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
she wrote historical novels about gaius marius and sulla . . . think she got all the way to caesar w them . . . they were good reads . . . especially if you like Rome on HBO.

I think my readings have references to her writings.

Sulla did set the stage for Caesar and even Pompey, though Pompey lost, but still enjoyed mutiple consulships. The republic(fearful senators) gave Caesar an excuse to march on Rome by crossing the Rubicon, just as Marius gave a reason to Sulla.

I dare not take liking to Caesar, as he seems unlike me. Sulla on the other hand..

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 07:33:20 PM »

sulla was supposedly something of a cruel perv.  since my last name is not kennedy, rockefeller, or bush . . . i don't really identify w any of them.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »
sulla was supposedly something of a cruel perv.  since my last name is not kennedy, rockefeller, or bush . . . i don't really identify w any of them.

But he was born into a prestigious family. But his family fortunes were squandered; he was forced to grow up around scum.. Still he found a way to reach the top.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »
But he was born into a prestigious family. But his family fortunes were squandered; he was forced to grow up around scum.. Still he found a way to reach the top.

in ancient rome, your gens was very imp. . . . it opened many doors.  marius was more of a commoner, but even he didn't rise from the bottom.  pompey was also not of an illustrious gens . . .

the sobering thing is that the greatest emperors, caesar and augustus both came from the same gens . . .

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »
My family is quite important amonst the "community" here, still I am forced to grow up humble.

I think the MDMA is starting to take effect, as I am typing better and without typos. WOOT!

Alex23

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 08:11:17 PM »
My family is quite important amonst the "community" here, still I am forced to grow up humble.

I think the MDMA is starting to take effect, as I am typing better and without typos. WOOT!

what's MDMA?