Author Topic: Most important languages to learn?  (Read 5242 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Most important languages to learn?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 12:08:59 AM »
谢谢你的网站,我在学习中文. 现在,我很感谢我的伙伴们都是双语. 2周后,我要开始学习日语.
w

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 02:06:21 PM »
I heard that lengthening the vowel changes the meaning aswell, better not have a slow day in Thailand..

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »
I heard that lengthening the vowel changes the meaning aswell, better not have a slow day in Thailand..

The Cambodians writing is interesting to look at. Ive heard it called, "As much an excuse to paint, as a language".

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 02:43:34 PM »
1. English

2. Spanish?

3. German?

What do you think the most important (in order) languages to learn are?
Italian...its the language of love  ;D I speak English and Italian fluently. I wish I new French & German.

PB

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »
I think french is better suited for love hehe, I think it's more sensual, hard to explain...

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »
I'd agree w/ French as the most sensual sounding Lang. Parisian in particular.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 09:07:08 AM »
All you need is English.  Learn it properly.

It'll get you anywhere.

A bit of bad language doesn't hurt on the way.
xL

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
Well try spain, portugal greece etc, certainly in smaller towns you're going nowhere with english.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 01:56:04 PM »
Well try spain, portugal greece etc, certainly in smaller towns you're going nowhere with english.

Same goes for China.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 02:33:06 PM »
aye, But I mentioned EU countries because it's presumed these are certainly places where english will get you around.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 09:36:54 AM »
So let's teach 'em all English !

Practically every kid from every country gets taught it in school.  They just need to practice what they've learned with some English speaking folk.

Only kidding
xxxL

I only took Latin and French and Spanish, but
I'm into a bit of Italian at present, it's a truly gorgeous language. 
...just add issimo and it gets better.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »

darlin', if you're visiting rural Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Poland or even Peru, you'll be with a friend who has family and a house there and who speaks both the native language and English, surely?

Otherwise you're just a tourist and you're outta there in the next few days anyways.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »
GOBBLEDYGOOK OR GOBBLEDEGOOK

Unintelligible language, especially jargon or bureaucratese.

This is a truly maverick word, not only because it is surprisingly modern and also one whose genesis we can pin down to the day, but also because a maverick coined it —Maury Maverick, a Texan lawyer who was at various times a Democratic Congressman and mayor of San Antonio.

He used the word in the New York Times Magazine on 21 May 1944, while he was chairman of the US Smaller War Plants Committee in Congress, as part of a complaint against the obscure language used by his colleagues. His inspiration, he said, was the turkey, “always gobbledy gobbling and strutting with ludicrous pomposity”. The word met a clear need and quickly became part of the language. It is sometimes abbreviated slightly to gobbledygoo.

Word coining runs in the Maverick family, since Maury Maverick’s grandfather, Samuel Maverick, a Texas rancher, was the inspiration for maverick, originally an animal not branded to identify its owner (because Sam Maverick didn’t brand his own herds), later an unconventional person, and later still a politician who stands aside from the herd, refusing to conform to the party line.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »

darlin', if you're visiting rural Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Poland or even Peru, you'll be with a friend who has family and a house there and who speaks both the native language and English, surely?

Otherwise you're just a tourist and you're outta there in the next few days anyways.

xL
true but since when did that enter the equation? These social interaction issues mostly occur when on holiday or on business...

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
GOBBLEDYGOOK OR GOBBLEDEGOOK

Unintelligible language, especially jargon or bureaucratese.

This is a truly maverick word, not only because it is surprisingly modern and also one whose genesis we can pin down to the day, but also because a maverick coined it —Maury Maverick, a Texan lawyer who was at various times a Democratic Congressman and mayor of San Antonio.

He used the word in the New York Times Magazine on 21 May 1944, while he was chairman of the US Smaller War Plants Committee in Congress, as part of a complaint against the obscure language used by his colleagues. His inspiration, he said, was the turkey, “always gobbledy gobbling and strutting with ludicrous pomposity”. The word met a clear need and quickly became part of the language. It is sometimes abbreviated slightly to gobbledygoo.

Word coining runs in the Maverick family, since Maury Maverick’s grandfather, Samuel Maverick, a Texas rancher, was the inspiration for maverick, originally an animal not branded to identify its owner (because Sam Maverick didn’t brand his own herds), later an unconventional person, and later still a politician who stands aside from the herd, refusing to conform to the party line.

In Holland tv producers and comic duo (it sounds more corny than it actually is) van Kooten & de Bie are famous for contributing a number of words to the dutch language like doemdenken (doomthinking) droogneuken(dryfucking).

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 04:21:27 AM »

Dutch (to know what's really going on at Getbig)

Double Dutch?

Doomthinking is a great word, it sounds good, kinda rolls off the tongue. 
But I'll never use it as I'm an extreme optimist.

xL
ps:  I'm sorry, but I'm right.  The most important language to learn to use and spell (properly) is English.

Cantonese is up and coming, but most 'world travellers' will also work hard to acquire a good command of the English language.

Sign language is kinda fun (you know, hands a go-go, making a point, a la Italianiano...)
I'd always thought signing would be a good one to learn (for everyone) but it turns out
there are lost in translation problems even there.  Regional accents even...

I'm only visiting...

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »
I'm not disagreeing that english will probably get you the farthest, the statement 'It'll get you anywhere' simply isn't true.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
Latin root words are often usefull, but even pronunciation can kill the deal!
I've sat w/ 4-5 people and as many languages trying to help some travler get what/ where they want often. It's the unusual Euro languages that really leave one stranded.. But most of them speak Eng.