Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422040 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1125 on: May 10, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
If you feel wiped out with full-body reduce the amount of what you are doing.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1126 on: May 10, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
If you feel wiped out with full-body reduce the amount of what you are doing.

Do you take it easy when you work out?  I always try to red line the tach.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1127 on: May 10, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »
Do you take it easy when you work out?  I always try to red line the tach.

Lower the amount of exercises you do or the number of sets for example while still including a press, pull, squat, calf raise.

You can still go all out on the ones you continue to do.

Once you aclimate you can always add more stuff depending on how you feel.

Example:

2 sets each

Decline press
Lat pull down
Squat
Barbell curl
Standing calf raise

The next workout you could repeat or do this

Military press
Barbell row
Leg press
Reverse curl
1 leg calf raise

Change the order as you prefer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1128 on: May 13, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
Did another round of a full body routine. Retyping the same crap.

Power clean and push press 3 x 3 (On the last set I nearly crashed and burned with the bar over head. Had to take a few steps forward to maintain balance.

Barbell squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
Standing leg curl 2 x 12

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 ( love these. Zero delt pain)

MAG supinate pulldown 2 x 10
M.A.G. supinate long pull seated 2 x 12

Military press 2 x 8
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10 ( I have been using EZ curl bar for a long time. Switching bar to a straight bar seems like magic. Really feeling it. I switched to EZ curl because my shoulder. It seem to make a big difference.)

No weight single leg calf raises 3 x max

Weighted back hyper extensions 2 x 15

Incline situps 1 x 27
Weighted crunches 1 x 50

neck work

One thing about these workout is I'm not enjoying them. It's nice to stay on a body part for a couple of exercises.

Haven't done power cleans in ages. My technique wasn't good.  The worst part is the jerk or more accurately the push press.  I see the potential for injury. Thought I was going to drop the barbell today. I had to run for balance. On another jerk I hit my nose of all things. I remember in the past every single bodybuilding back day I use to go up to 225lbs or 230lbs on my last set of power cleans. It was great power cleaning that weight then getting it over head. I wonder if I specialized how much I could have lifted?  Now it's 175lbs feels like I'm cleaning and jerk a lot of weight. Considering I haven't done them in years I bet I could lift 225lbs if I stay with it. I just have to think about the risk to benefit ratio. Right not I think I'm too old to do something like that now.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1129 on: May 13, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »
Did another round of a full body routine. Retyping the same crap.

Power clean and push press 3 x 3 (On the last set I nearly crashed and burned with the bar over head. Had to take a few steps forward to maintain balance.

Barbell squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
Standing leg curl 2 x 12

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 ( love these. Zero delt pain)

MAG supinate pulldown 2 x 10
M.A.G. supinate long pull seated 2 x 12

Military press 2 x 8
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10 ( I have been using EZ curl bar for a long time. Switching bar to a straight bar seems like magic. Really feeling it. I switched to EZ curl because my shoulder. It seem to make a big difference.)

No weight single leg calf raises 3 x max

Incline situps 1 x 27
Weighted crunches 1 x 50

neck work

One thing about these workout is I'm not enjoying them. It's nice to stay on a body part for a couple of exercises.

Haven't done power cleans in ages. My technique wasn't good.  The worst part is the jerk or more accurately the push press.  I see the potential for injury. Thought I was going to drop the barbell today. I had to run for balance. On another jerk I hit my nose of all things. I remember in the past every single bodybuilding back day I use to go up to 225lbs or 230lbs on my last set of power cleans. It was great power cleaning that weight then getting it over head. I wonder if I specialized how much I could have lifted?  Now it's 175lbs feels like I'm cleaning and jerk a lot of weight. Considering I haven't done them in years I bet I could lift 225lbs if I stay with it. I just have to think about the risk to benefit ratio. Right not I think I'm too old to do something like that now.

I'm taking a few days off to rest my typing/keyboard fingers.  ;D  Not really, but I did take a couple of days off.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1130 on: May 14, 2020, 12:09:32 PM »
Walked fast for five miles today. Then hit the heavy bag.  Walking fast really does work magic with fat loss but it's so time consuming.  When I go on a walking kick I make quick progress of fat loss in two weeks if I'm able to do it 5 to 6 days a week for 5 to 6 miles. What usually happens is after two weeks I get sick of the time commitment. Walking for over an hour is a big block of time. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1131 on: May 14, 2020, 12:27:26 PM »
Walked fast for five miles today. Then hit the heavy bag.  Walking fast really does work magic with fat loss but it's so time consuming.  When I go on a walking kick I make quick progress of fat loss in two weeks if I'm able to do it 5 to 6 days a week for 5 to 6 miles. What usually happens is after two weeks I get sick of the time commitment. Walking for over an hour is a big block of time.

I prefer walking on a treadmill for safety reasons, but that's not currently possible so I'll hit the sidewalk instead.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1132 on: May 14, 2020, 03:17:49 PM »
I have an amazing trail by my house. It's an abandoned rail road track from the 1920's.  The county converted it into a walking/biking trail. It goes on for about 7 miles before you have to go through a town to continue.  It's so isolated and lightly used sometimes I don't see another person for miles.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1133 on: May 15, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »
Ran two slow miles in the 80 degree humid heat today.  I'm slacking a bit on the weight training. I've been hitting the weights hard for two years with very little time off.  I just might do cardio for four more days. It feels great to get out there and run even though I can't push the speed due to my fucked up Achilles. Nice just to do a 9:30 Miles in the heat today.

Spent a lot of time on pool cleaning and yard prep for the upcoming summer. Getting to be pool water guru. If the pool isn't crystal clear and clean I go nuts. Got to the point where I go over some other pool and I think what the fuck are you doing? This isn't clean.  LOL.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1134 on: May 15, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »
I have an amazing trail by my house. It's an abandoned rail road track from the 1920's.  The county converted it into a walking/biking trail. It goes on for about 7 miles before you have to go through a town to continue.  It's so isolated and lightly used sometimes I don't see another person for miles.

You lucky to have such a great place to run in peace. Springwater corridor in Portland will eventually be 21 miles long when it is completed. Unfortunately, being in the city, there is a problem with homeless folks along the corridor.

There are shorter trails and paths near to where I live which go through fairly rural areas and connect the many parks we have. Some are reserved for walkers and runners only.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1135 on: May 15, 2020, 06:40:31 PM »
Stunning trails Prime. Yes, isolated trails can be a danger. I've had a run in with a lunatic that had a weapon behind his leg he wouldn't show me. He kept accusing me of cursing at girls walking a pit bull. All I said was, hold the dog tight as I ran by.   He kept coming at me with his body bladed holding something behind his leg. Was it a firearm, knife or a blunt force object?  More times than not I carry a Glock or a Snub nose  now.  I ran the trail  today and I guess because of the nice weather I actually saw about 6 people on the trail. Yesterday I saw an unarmed county security guard on a bike riding the trail.  Nice to see it but if push came to shove I would be protecting him and not the other way around, lol.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1136 on: May 15, 2020, 08:32:21 PM »
Mary S. Young Park is about a half mile from my house. It is a beautifully natural place to spend an hour or so getting in touch with nature at it's best. The water at the end of this trail is the Willamette River. I've been down this path many times with the dogs. First photo is the bareness of winter and the second one with the emergence of spring and the last of this series is in the lushness of summer.

Here's what you get at the end of this path.

A challenging route to take coming back up from the river to the top of the park. Even the dogs get winded on this wooden platform path.

And for when you don't feel like a hike and your pups do, there's the off leash dog park section.

Halloween at Mary S. Young....monsters in the park

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1137 on: May 16, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
Ran three miles today. Lower temperatures, it was about 72 today.  Going to run only for two more days before getting back into lifting.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1138 on: May 16, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »
I'm braving shorts and a tee shirt even though the high today was only 64 degrees. Worked in the yard weeding the rock garden.  Lots of bending involved.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1139 on: May 16, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
I'm braving shorts and a tee shirt even though the high today was only 64 degrees. Worked in the yard weeding the rock garden.  Lots of bending involved.

I had a painter working on my house and he left his strap on knee pads. I text him several times and he never came back for them. Weeding my back yard it was a bitch. I got the knee pads and it was so easy now to weed.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1140 on: May 16, 2020, 05:57:15 PM »
I have knee pads that I bought at Home Depot made for gardening. Because the gardener also weeds each week, there's not enough weeds in one spot to warrant using them. After weeding the entire front and side yards, I had maybe two handfuls of weeds. The knee pads really come in handy when I'm planting annuals and such.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1141 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:12 PM »
Ran 2.2 slow miles at a 9:30 pace. Feels so good to run outside.  The treadmill is a medieval torture device so it feels good to get outside and run. I have a brother in law who always was a great runner. I think in 40 years of running he ran once on a treadmill. He said it blows his mind that anyone would exercise on such a thing when you can go outside.

I think I will run one more day and the day after get back to the Iron. My daughter bought me a book that's titled,  "Spark". It's written by a psychiatrist about the effect of aerobic exercise and the mind. One of my daughters is a critical care nurse and close to getting her nurse practitioners license in psychiatry.  She said it was very interesting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1142 on: May 18, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »
Ran early before work at 5:30AM.  Really hard to get these old bones working right out of bed.  Tomorrow is another run but I will start lifting again tomorrow too. Now I got five days of running in a row under my belt. Haven't done that in ages. Feels great doing cardio again. Thought I would never be able to run again consistently.  I know I gently have to push the pace or risk injury again. Still it takes be back even though now I'm running  slug miles now. Suddenly I'm back again running 8 fast miles with the high school track team through the scenic views of Manhattan across the river.  Winning my first 440 sprint against guys from Bronx college Suny.  Running in formation in Fort Dix with some of the baddest mother fuckers I ever had the privilege of being around. In the words of Major Richard Winters I was never a hero but I served in a company of heroes. Tomorrow I will put my ear buds in and hit my garmin hitting the miles. Two things I never ran with in decades ago. Suddenly I will be young again. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1143 on: May 20, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »
Ran two miles in a park.  Came home and lifted for back and chest. I know I'm a broken record on training.

Pulldown with a MAG bar 2 x 10
Seated lat pulls with a V handle 2 x 12
One arm Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10
Reverse grip pull downs 2 x 10

Decline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (all the way down)
Weighted dips 2 x 10 (tried to dig deep)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (I did these with a really slow cadence to avoid aggravating my shoulder. I think it worked. I will know better tomorrow. Using a slow positive and negative I made a light weight heavy.)
Push ups 2 x max (regular and the second set with perfect push up handles

Dead lift 2 x 4

Weighted crunches 1 x 50 ( I hold a plate behind my head)
Pulley crunches 1 x 50

Tomorrow I'm going for a run and I'm going to conscientiously push the pace. Nothing crazy. Trying to get leaner for the summer. Every year I try to make a push for the summer and I feel I'm a little behind schedule.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1144 on: May 21, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »
Another 2 mile run. Heavy bag work after. Found out in my little office part time job that 3 of the 5 girls that work there have covid. WTF?  I was tested for covid and had the anti body blood test too today. I feel fine and will find out in 3 to 5 business days. When I work there I alcohol everything with 90% alcohol.  My seat, everything around my cubicle; the electronic time clock and  the door handles gets disinfected. I also alcohol my hands and wash my hands too many time to count. I hope the girls are okay. They are mainly young women with the exception of one 62 year old woman who is a diabetic who walks like a cripple.  I fear for her.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1145 on: May 22, 2020, 07:51:28 PM »
Leg day today:

My usual workout system. I might be using what's best for me.

Leg press 2 x 12 (low back board. I would really concentrate on fully bending my legs)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 (Upright back and really sank them. Dumbbells held at sides with straps.)
Stiff dead 2 x 6 (On a block brushing the top of my feet with my fists.)
leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x15
Free hand no weight squats 1 x 55 (sank them)

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15

Side bend holding one dumbbell 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 25

Neck work

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1146 on: May 22, 2020, 08:28:59 PM »
My training philosophy. I like to do one or two sets to failure after a warm up if the warm up was needed. I like to train body parts once a week directly.  A typical split is Monday-Back and chest; Wednesday-legs and Friday-delts and arms with weekends off.  Of course the training days of the week aren't written in stone. Many like to say body parts should be worked twice a week.  You can never truly isolate a body part in general. Body parts are hit twice a week on my routine because of over lap.  Here's a few examples of over lap. When training back and chest the tricep and biceps get worked hard. The pushing and pulling are training the arms. On back/chest day I always include either a power clean, deadlift or even a snatch.  That is hitting the legs. On leg day the back gets hit with squats.  Incline benching is also hitting shoulders. On delt/arms day doing dips or close grip bench for triceps  you're hitting chest.  The body is trained not in isolation but systemically even while using a split.

When ever I think about doing volume something doesn't feel right about it. The lower weight needed to get that volume in bugs my ego. Doing  sets without pushing hard those first sets seems like a waste of time.   

On this system I try to do cardio at minimum twice a week. Sometimes more. I remember for awhile I would go for a 75 minute fast walk five days a week. It would melt the fat but the time commitment was too great with the lifting.  What I'm doing now is running for two to three miles on off days. Intervals work great and I like to do them on a treadmill. The potential for injury is there with running fast. About 8 months ago I was doing 40 yard repeats feeling fast as hell for my age and felt my one Achilles go. Trip to the doctor and he said I have a partial tear. I guess he weighed the risk to benefit and said he wouldn't operate. Told me for athletic performance many athletes are unhappy with the Achilles  repair and it's all doctors doing Achilles repair on athletes. He said it's unlike other tendons in that it stretches under load and returns energy somewhat. It's just not the same and I don't think it ever will be the same. I had a good run. Getting old stinks.  I just do what I can do now regarding running. I run at a much slower pace.  So far it's holding up pretty good.

I use to keep a training diary for years. When I was around 60 I felt what am I doing with that now?  For me it makes my training too rigid and too planned.  I'm not going to get much stronger.  So it's almost maintenance but I believe training longevity even with using the same weights is a step forward.

Anyway I trained legs today. I was completely spent after.   I still have nearly non existent calves. I remember a guy saying in the gym how do you walk on those sticks?  They worked pretty good for athletics for many years at least.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1147 on: May 22, 2020, 08:31:49 PM »
I reallly need to read this and Ironnat's thread more as yoou are both very inspiring.  Thanks, brother!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1148 on: May 24, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
My insanity.  Trained delts and arms nursing a mild hang over. Yesterday was sunny and we were in the back yard with the eclectic combination of Guinness and Czechoslovakia beer listening to big band music and the crooners of that era.

Dumbbell shoulder press 2 x 10
Delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 (thumbs up. Surprisingly I have picture of Arnold doing it this way that I recently discovered)
Rear delt cable 3 x 12 (relatively new exercise for me. I had to play around with the poundage to get it right)
Face pulls 2 x 12 (I think I'm using too light of a weight.)
Dumbbell upright row with external rotation (Thumbs up rotating the hands as I pulled up. Hands faced the wall behind me at the end of the movement. )
barbell shrug 2 x 10

Close grip bench 2 x 8 (Haven't done this in ages. Felt pain in the front delts)
Lying tricep extensions with an EZ curl bar 2 x 8 (Usually hurts my elbows but not today. Very good tricep exercise)
Single dumbbell behind the head tricep extension with one hand 2 x 12 (I can't get over how weak I am on this movement. Maybe because I go really low? )

Straight bar curl 2 x 10 (I usually use an ez curl bar. This is a superior movement but it's also harder on my shoulder. Today it worked out great)
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 (These are an old standard of mine)
Concentration curls 2 x 15 ( Used a lighter weight to get a pump)

wrist curl 2 x 25
wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 50 (I know recent "science" states conventional sit ups don't hit the abs hard. I just know every time I do incline situps by abs are sore as hell the next day. I have to bring that movement back)
Pulley crunches 1  x 50

The pictures show half of my basement. I didn't show the other side.  This is where I do this insanity we called bodybuilding.  Sometimes I think I would be healthier and happier if I was just a pure runner. Go out to the beach and hit the board walk for 45 minutes and I would be done with exercise for the day. In all candor lifting is great but the best mood elevator is cardio training. Great book on that topic is called Spark by Doctor Ratey on how it's a great anti depressant and even increases the function of the brain.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1149 on: May 25, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »
You live a nice life,,,I like your honesty,,,only knock is when you say you wish
You ran instead,enjoy what your heart took you and enjoy the build that came of it.