Author Topic: How Arnold really brought up his calves?  (Read 17918 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: How Arnold really brought up his calves?
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2020, 05:22:56 AM »

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »
  not only did arnold have the best genetics he also had the best mind and determination to achieve his goals. he was never handed anything in life . he worked hard ( something alot of americans know nothing about) and fulfilled his dreams. he said way back in 1976 what he was gonna do in life and he did it. every single thing!!  i really believe he has such determination that if he was born without an arm he would of forced his body to grow one.   all this talk about arnold against yates against haney against modern guys etc .  i will tell you what. arnold would destroy them all in every era IF he was actually in his prime age during that era . he would of done whatever it took to achieve his goals and he would of been far ahead of them just as he was during his prime time. comparing a 1970s arnold to a 2000 coleman or whatever is meaningless. besides  even a 1970s arnold destroys them all anyways due to the fact they are all bloated pieces of shit.
problem with "doing whatever it takes" is you might die before even achieving those goals.

See Mcgarver and Luke Wood.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2020, 08:25:06 AM »
 those 2 relied on drugs and only drugs to get to look like a bag of smashed assholes.  arnold relied on extremely hard training eating  sleeping relaxing having a fun life and drugs.  now days they use drugs to cover up for laziness. so once again arnold would win . period.  let me explain something to those that dont understand.  when you have superior genetics and an amazing work ethic and the will and desire to be the best you achieve it  with alot less drugs. its these ass clowns who think "well im not growing so i better take more drugs" that are dying.   NOTHING and i mean NOTHING  makes up for genetics and hard work. so yes arnold used drugs. he would use drugs to win today. BUT his body would respond so much better he wouldnt have to use the amount these fucktards are using.   arnold only cared about looking the best he could on the day of the show.  like he said he wasnt a "beach" bodybuilder.  so if he lost size after a show etc he didnt care. he only cared about the day of the show. he had other businesses to make money and applied himself to that too. these clowns nowdays never come off. use more than they should dont train or eat or relax properly and think they are gonna be the next big thing. not gonna happen 

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
those 2 relied on drugs and only drugs to get to look like a bag of smashed assholes.  arnold relied on extremely hard training eating  sleeping relaxing having a fun life and drugs.  now days they use drugs to cover up for laziness. so once again arnold would win . period.  let me explain something to those that dont understand.  when you have superior genetics and an amazing work ethic and the will and desire to be the best you achieve it  with alot less drugs. its these ass clowns who think "well im not growing so i better take more drugs" that are dying.   NOTHING and i mean NOTHING  makes up for genetics and hard work. so yes arnold used drugs. he would use drugs to win today. BUT his body would respond so much better he wouldnt have to use the amount these fucktards are using.   arnold only cared about looking the best he could on the day of the show.  like he said he wasnt a "beach" bodybuilder.  so if he lost size after a show etc he didnt care. he only cared about the day of the show. he had other businesses to make money and applied himself to that too. these clowns nowdays never come off. use more than they should dont train or eat or relax properly and think they are gonna be the next big thing. not gonna happen

In the Pumping Iron outtakes, there is a scene when Arnold is posing, and someone says "No one will look at the legs."  So it was known that Arnold's legs were not incredible, even for his era.  As for Arnold winning today, with today's drugs, I don't think that would happen because Arnold was 6'1.5", making him at least a couple of inches too tall to win in this era.  It would just be impossible for him to put on enough size to out-compete the sub-six foot guys.

As for Arnold in his past form competing today - he could make it to Nationals, but I'd be surprised [actually, shocked] if he could win Nationals as he did at his best.  It's possible, I guess, depending on how weak the lineup is.

Also, are any pro bodybuilders really "lazy" at that level?  The way you talk about it, it's as if pros work super hard on moderate drugs, or are lazy and take a lot of drugs.  In reality, I have no doubt there are pros who work super hard and take a lot of drugs.  On the other end of the spectrum, I doubt there are many pros who are lazy and take little in the way of drugs, because those bodybuilders wouldn't get very far.  But I don't see how taking a lot of drugs precludes a pro from being very hard-working in the gym.  Dallas McCarver took a lot of drugs and looked like he trained very hard, based on the videos he posted.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »

As for Arnold in his past form competing today - he could make it to Nationals, but I'd be surprised [actually, shocked] if he could win Nationals as he did at his best.  It's possible, I guess, depending on how weak the lineup is.

Olympia Classic Physique Class. Arnold would clean up in it, even with his 70's build. Lot easier to shave to shave #5-10lbs off him, than have him gain #50-#75 lbs to be a current Olympia hopeful.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
 it was ken waller who said "they wont notice the legs".   only he didnt mean that arnold didnt have legs. he just meant that he was so huge everywhere they would only see the chest etc. remember back then alot of judges still only looked at chest and arms ( especially overseas)  also remember arnold had a bad leg injury he had to come back from in 74 i believe.  a posing dias collapsed. also these clowns are heavier nowdays.  SO WHAT? that doesnt mean they are better. again thats people thinking weight and size is what bodybuilding is about. and of course your still comparing a 1970s arnold with todays  guys. if arnold was 26 years old TODAY he would beat everyone cuz he would have whatever kind of build the judges were looking for.  lets do a role reversal. put a modern bloated big gutted no symmetry guy from today who weighs 300lbs on stage with the guys from the 70s and see what would happen. people would laugh judges wouldnt know wtf they are and they would get last place IF they could even make thru the contest without passing out.  smh. think about this. womens bodybuilding when new had that freak roided out bev francis in the 80s. way to muscular. down right fugly.  now look. thats what they all look like even worse!! so an arnold today at 26 would still be superior to anyone else because he has the genetics the drive and determination. ( he wouldnt look like arnold of the 70s)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »
it was ken waller who said "they wont notice the legs".   only he didnt mean that arnold didnt have legs. he just meant that he was so huge everywhere they would only see the chest etc. remember back then alot of judges still only looked at chest and arms ( especially overseas)  also remember arnold had a bad leg injury he had to come back from in 74 i believe.  a posing dias collapsed. also these clowns are heavier nowdays.  SO WHAT? that doesnt mean they are better. again thats people thinking weight and size is what bodybuilding is about. and of course your still comparing a 1970s arnold with todays  guys. if arnold was 26 years old TODAY he would beat everyone cuz he would have whatever kind of build the judges were looking for.  lets do a role reversal. put a modern bloated big gutted no symmetry guy from today who weighs 300lbs on stage with the guys from the 70s and see what would happen. people would laugh judges wouldnt know wtf they are and they would get last place IF they could even make thru the contest without passing out.  smh. think about this. womens bodybuilding when new had that freak roided out bev francis in the 80s. way to muscular. down right fugly.  now look. thats what they all look like even worse!! so an arnold today at 26 would still be superior to anyone else because he has the genetics the drive and determination. ( he wouldnt look like arnold of the 70s)
Good post,and I couldn`t agree more.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »
Olympia Classic Physique Class. Arnold would clean up in it, even with his 70's build. Lot easier to shave to shave #5-10lbs off him, than have him gain #50-#75 lbs to be a current Olympia hopeful.

Absolutely - Arnold has the definitive physique for the new Classic Physique Division.  And it would be a lot easier for Arnold to win in that class than to put on the 50- to 75-lb that he would need to win the Olympia today, as you mentioned.  Meaning that Arnold would need to be 285- to 310-lb to win a Mr. Olympia today, and I agree with that.  Gunter Schlierkamp was the same height as Arnold, and came in at 300-lb in 2002, and at 295-lb in 2005.  Those who his two best Olympia performances, and he did not win either one.

I can't fathom Arnold looking better than Gunter, although I would say that Arnold had a structure that was more round, and I suppose "prettier", from an aesthetic point of view.  NOT that Gunter is lacking genetic in any way, but in certain poses, I think Arnold's structural superiorities come out - such as in the front double biceps pose where Gunter's lats sort of just jut out towards the middle of his torso, rather than have the sweeping tapered look that Arnold's had.

That's just one area though...oh, and in terms of waist thickness, Gunter had a thicker waist...BUT, but that's outweighing Arnold by 60-lb at the same height, so...I have a hard time believing that Arnold would be anything more than a modern-day Gunter.  Arnold's smallish waist for his size [he was no Frank McGrath, but definitely had a pretty small waist] would have grown if Arnold had to take modern drugs and put on the size necessary for modern competition.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »

I'm seriously flabbergasted at the extent to which people will take actual evidence of something contrary to their view and try to twist it so that it is somehow consistent with their beliefs.

So let me see if I understand this correctly:

You think that Ken Waller commenting to Arnold "No one will notice the legs", and everyone LAUGHING on the mountaintop of where ever they were posing, was somehow Ken's way of complimenting Arnold on his chest and other muscle development, as opposed to mocking him for his legs, HENCE EVERYONE LAUGHING AFTER THE COMMENT WAS MADE.

Seriously?

So Ken Waller making a comment about Arnold's legs followed by a bunch of guys laughing at the comment was Waller's way of complimenting Arnold's chest?  And when Arnold made the comment about the side chest pose to Franco "If you don't have it, don't hit it", was that Arnold's way of complimenting Franco's legs?

bigbychoices - you seriously believe that Ken Waller wasn't making fun of Arnold's legs while he made a comment about Arnold's legs followed by everyone laughing, but rather, he was bringing attention to Arnold's other strong areas?

No - I don't even think you believe that.  I am absolutely bewildered at the extent to which people will take facts and twist them to be in line with what they believe.  But I want you to know something, bigbychoices - no one believes you.  Not only do the people you are debating not believe you, but you don't believe yourself when you make that comment.

Think about what you are saying - you are saying that Ken Waller making a comment followed by a bunch of Arnold's friends and fellow bodybuilders laughing like hyenas is actually Waller's way of complimenting Arnold.

Do you realize what comments like that do to your credibility?  Often, people don't have the debating tools nor the confidence to call someone out - even online - for making a comment like yours, but that doesn't mean they aren't thinking it.  I'm lucky, being a "right wing racist" or whatever, that everyone is confident enough to call me out, as we live in a society that empowers people to attack any thinking White man out there, so I am actually sort of lucky to live in a society where people will call out the slightest error in anything that I say - it helps me to raise my debating game.

Unfortunately, there are so many Arnold nut-huggers, that I think people who defend Arnold in ways that border on the absurd don't get to develop the refinement in debate ability that one would when their views are being called out nonstop.

Anyway, Arnold wouldn't even win Nationals the way he looked in the 1970's.  If he were to take the drugs of today, he would probably just look like a more aesthetic version of Gunter, if that.  That assumes a lot - including that Arnold had the genetic constitution to eat the calories and take the drugs necessary to put on the size necessary to be competitive today.

Furthermore, the natural evolution of bodybuilding was to get bigger and bigger and bigger...that included the legs, which simply were not looked at in the 1970's as they were in the eras that followed.

Arnold, no matter what he would have done to adapt to modern-day bodybuilding, would not somehow become short enough to be Mr. Olympia in today's bodybuilding era.

Do you know what the average height of Mr. Olympia winners is among the 36 champions from 1984 through to 2019?  5'9.9".

Do you know how many bodybuilders 6'0" or taller have won the Mr. Olympia during that time period?  Zero.

So no, Arnold wouldn't somehow be able to develop the proportions of a man with a 5'10" frame at his height of just under 6'2".  I have no doubt Arnold would do everything he could have done to become champion today, but to suggest that a man of his height would win the Olympia in an era where hardly any men his height even make the Olympia to begin with is simply a stretch in logic that you're making, using absolutely no evidence to make a stretch.  You're just a fan of Arnold's.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »

My previous post was tl;dr.

But in any case, the part of your post above that I bolded is why I wish this board had a block feature.  The mere fact that you would take a situation like that and spin it to be consistent with your point of view reminds me of the groupthink on the MuscleMayhem board.  It absolutely blew my mind the level of people brainwashing one another into believing that how they felt on bodybuilding was factually correct.  That was such a pro nut-hugging board, and you literally could not even insult a pro bodybuilder without being trashed.

It was so annoying, as a thinking person, to read that board.  But hey, that's why that board didn't maintain its popularity - the censoring of anyone who had an even remotely anti-pro or anti-competitive bodybuilding view caused it to die.

Take wes, who commented on your post above in agreement.  At one point, he made a comment that Gerry Blais' synthol arms looked hideous, then in a thread about the 2005 New England Championships, he banned anyone who made fun of his arms, LMAO!!!  I even quoted the old post where wes himself made fun of Gerry's arms, and then wes banned me.

It was so annoying.  Would wes admit to how moronic the optics of such a moderation move look, even today?  I doubt it.

But just because he won't admit it, doesn't mean he doesn't know I'm right.  OF COURSE he knows I'm right.  Everyone knows.  Including you, with respect to the comment I made about you.  But JUST to be clear:

You think Ken Waller saying to Arnold "Don't worry - no one will look at the legs", followed by Arnold's friends [fellow bodybuilders] LAUGHING was Ken's way of COMPLIMENTING Arnold in other areas?

Right?  This is what you think?  I just want to make sure I understood you correctly, bigbychoices.  Say it here so everyone can see it - you think Ken Waller's comment about Arnold's legs, resulting in everyone LAUGHING was a compliment to Arnold's chest and other areas, and not a way of making fun of Arnold's legs.  Am I summarizing that accurately?

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2020, 01:03:34 PM »
matt your an idiot.  hope this helps . you have probably never lifted . you come on here calling out people for whom you have no understanding.. do you or did you ever follow real bodybuilding?  do you have any idea just how big arnolds legs actually were? they were incredible. when he was in his prime but his huge upper body got the attention.  waller did in fact mean that they wouldnt notice his legs cuz he was so huge in the upper body.  do you remember waller even once said "arnolds chest was so huge you could stand under it when raining and not get wet".  but instead you come on here write a book practically trying to prove your point which of course is wrong. i have never seen so many people want to argue when they are wrong in my life. im thinking you must be a democrat?   anyways continue bashing me im done responding to your little call outs. im right your wrong plain and simple. 

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
Big,

For what it's worth, you've got Matt wrong.  He has his eccentricities :)  But a Democrat?  LOL.  No.  And yes, he lifts and is quite strong for his weight.  I think he benched close to 350 at a bodyweight of 170ish -- something I couldn't do until I was 200+.

He's also not stupid.

All that said, and with respect to you because I like you :) , I do think Waller was teasing Arnold about lacking his previous level of leg development.  Remember, when that scene was filmed, he was coming back from a slimmed-down weight...at that stage, he was still very much building himself back to top form.  Like he told Lou in South Africa, both of them would have been bigger had the contest taken place a month later.

Alright, enough of that :)  Peace, bros.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »
thank you titus for the info. and to matt my apologies on some of the things i said.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2020, 02:14:45 PM »

Arnold would not have the mass the guys have today unless he did what the guys do today. Very very simple. There is nothing anyone could do with training to compensate for the lack of drugs.

And today's guys are lazy? That's idiotic. Taking all those drugs is actually hard work and takes a toll mentally. Eating on the clock year round is hard work and mind numbingly boring. And there are a lot of guys who do train hard. Do you think Arnold could've handled Ronnie's routine? He would've been a cripple a couple of weeks in.

Arnold was driven but he obviously didn't go hard year round.

Matt is right, Arnold at his best would not win nationals today. He wouldn't even place top 10. The board shorts guys have better legs.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »

If someone said that is the greatest FDB of all time, I'd have a difficult time coming up with a strong argument.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2020, 05:44:45 PM »
I must object to the last page or two of this thread because of run-on sentences and the lack of paragraphs.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
A guy once told me (and this guy knows people) that Tom Platz started titty-fucking Arnolds calves in the offseason.  He would rub his semen into Arnolds calves like a dmso concoction.  I guess the theory was Platz' legs dna would get absorbed and Arnolds calves would grow.  Seems like it worked.  In hindsight, Tom should have had Arnold armpit fuck him.  Then maybe Toms arms would have grown.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
A guy once told me (and this guy knows people) that Tom Platz started titty-fucking Arnolds calves in the offseason.  He would rub his semen into Arnolds calves like a dmso concoction.  I guess the theory was Platz' legs dna would get absorbed and Arnolds calves would grow.  Seems like it worked.  In hindsight, Tom should have had Arnold armpit fuck him.  Then maybe Toms arms would have grown.

;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2020, 06:52:58 PM »
You fucking Nut   LOL  :D

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
You fucking Nut   LOL  :D

I amused even myself with this idiotic post.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2020, 02:18:53 AM »

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
Nice thing about calves is that when you stop training, they are the last to go......

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2020, 10:54:45 AM »
  some of you just still keep comparing arnold of the 1970s to todays guys. smh.  thats not the issue. the issue is would arnold still be the greatest bodybuilder ever IF he was competing today at age 26 .  the answer is yes. would he look like he did in 1970s  NO. he would develop for todays standards, so yes he would be unbeatable . what dont people understand. its not how would arnold of yesteryear do against guys today its IF arnold was 26 and competing in modern times would he beat everyone and the answer is yes.     so please stop saying 1970s arnold. yes we know guys nowdays are 50 lbs heavier and 5 inches shorter with a 50 inch stomach. would arnold also have that huge gut?  maybe because judges are not looking for what they were in his day. so he would do whatever he needed to do to get the win. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
  some of you just still keep comparing arnold of the 1970s to todays guys. smh.  thats not the issue. the issue is would arnold still be the greatest bodybuilder ever IF he was competing today at age 26 .  the answer is yes. would he look like he did in 1970s  NO. he would develop for todays standards, so yes he would be unbeatable . what dont people understand. its not how would arnold of yesteryear do against guys today its IF arnold was 26 and competing in modern times would he beat everyone and the answer is yes.     so please stop saying 1970s arnold. yes we know guys nowdays are 50 lbs heavier and 5 inches shorter with a 50 inch stomach. would arnold also have that huge gut?  maybe because judges are not looking for what they were in his day. so he would do whatever he needed to do to get the win.
If Arnold were young today he probably would have found something else to excel in besides bodybuilding that would get him to Hollywood.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »

Its all good Big, in my version of bodybuilding Arnolds genetics and overall classic shape still reign supreme over everyone, but modern drugs, his height and the judging criteria would have stopped him winning in modern bodybuilding, that is also the reason the sport has little to no recognition, modern sports a bunch of weirdos with no personality over consuming food and drugs, total shite look and belongs in the lower class of sports along with marbles.