Author Topic: Ultimate Warrior, Jim Hellwig...1990 NPC NEWS INTERVIEW  (Read 16488 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Ultimate Warrior, Jim Hellwig...1990 NPC NEWS INTERVIEW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »
I thought of him, but was unsure if he actually had competed before.  I was trying to name ones that competed in BBing and won a show.

Couldn’t find any wins but he did compete..

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=623880.0

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »
I think there is a recent Sting YouTube interview where he talks about training with Warrior at Gold's in California back in the 80s and how Warrior competed in Georgia as well.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
Around 1984. Plus cover photo of Ellington Darden book.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »
A few more.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2018, 07:00:46 AM »
After Warrior more of these bodybuilding bodies came to wrestling.

Although Hulk did have a great physique even earlier.

But likes as Dave Boy Smith and the Warlord come to mind.

Texas Tornado was always a poor mans Warrior to me 🙂
Even Curt Hennig would've been labeled bodybuilder in the early 80's.

I think the phenomenon attracted more "physique guys" to get involved, and others who were already in the business got more and bigger pushes.

Vince McMahon Jr. was always fond of big guys in his promotion early on, but there seemed to be a shift from "any" size to "quality" size after the success of WrestleMania. That's when he started "rewarding" the guys who were bodybuilder-big, and it prompted many wrestlers to get on (more) gear.

Side note about Hogan: He testified in court to using lots of Deca and Test in his early days. After the steroid trial in the 90's, he came off a lot of that and slimmed down. Apparently, WCW didn't have the same drug-testing policy, because Hogan re-gained a lot of size after going there; this time with previously unseen (for him) conditioning.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »
The author of that article clearly didn't know his wrestling history.  Warrior was not the first BBer to turn pro 'rassler.

That would be Atlas or Superstar I believe.  May have been others that competed and won but that is just off the top of my head.

I believe you're right about Graham; at least, he was the most famous among the first.

As far as others who were active in both wrestling and bodybuilding, somebody posted footage on the Wrestling board of Ricky Steamboat and Jimmy Snuka competing in a North Carolina bb show from some time in the late-70's/early-80's.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 07:40:52 AM »
were you ever at Monster Gym when those WWF guys showed up to train there in the nineties?

I was surprised at how some guys were more of an illusion size wise while some guys, like Undertaker and Brian Adams(Crush/Smash), and the road warriors were absolutely in either size and/or height

Biggest guys I sw with the whole package (mass Height, cuts etc) was Paul Orndorff at the Mintreal Forum when I was 15-16. he was just standing there watching the matches while eating chinese food out of a takeout box his massive arms and physique just buting out of a gold polo type shirt he was wearing

I encountered a majority of the WWF stars of the day when I lifted at Gold’s, which was the precursor gym that existed just around the corner from the soon-to-be-built Powerhouse (where I met a great many more wrestlers and IFBB pros). Monster Gym became a thing years later, farther still from the area I describe (in the Greater Toronto Area).

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
According to Bret Hart, he says in his book the WWF had a doctor who provided testosterone to the wrestlers. They would all stand in a line and wait to get their drugs.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
According to Bret Hart, he says in his book the WWF had a doctor who provided testosterone to the wrestlers. They would all stand in a line and wait to get their drugs.

Yep.
That was Dr. George Zahorian III, who was busted by Federal prosecutors for said acts, and is now back to practicing as a urologist in Hershey, Pennsylvania and is affiliated with Holy Spirit-A Geisinger Affiliate.

Here's a synopsis, if you're interested: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/pg5n3z/the-forgotten-steroid-trial-that-almost-brought-down-vince-mcmahon

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
I encountered a majority of the WWF stars of the day when I lifted at Gold’s, which was the precursor gym that existed just around the corner from the soon-to-be-built Powerhouse (where I met a great many more wrestlers and IFBB pros). Monster Gym became a thing years later, farther still from the area I describe (in the Greater Toronto Area).

One of those was 'Big Gus' (RIP) gym if i remember

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2018, 05:14:52 PM »
Love how he states he doesn’t train heavy and then a bit later in the interview says he’d behind-the-neck press 315 for 10.

Yeah, not heavy.  ::)

I always preferred him earlier in his wrestling days (and when he first entered the WWF) when he was fuller and heavier.

He looked SO powerful and intimidating.

You mean in Dingo form? Freedom Fighters?

Q

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »

Exactly. I absolutely believe his constant desire to remain very lean is a large reason why his body rebelled against him during the final days of his wrestling reign. One can see the deterioration. Then, of course, muscles tore or shortened and everything became stringy.

Too few consider just HOW unnatural it is for someone to have mountains of muscle but at the same time be particularly lean. It’s not how the human body likes to be.

As a general rule, humans tend to gain fat with muscle and lose muscle with fat loss. Hence ... anabolic drugs pre-contest.

It is hugely unnatural.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
One of those was 'Big Gus' (RIP) gym if i remember

His was that gym on ... Gosh, I can’t even remember where that was.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »
“ Big Gus” Alevizos

Rhino's Gym? Grosvenor St. Toronto?
Or Dundas Street ?

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 07:25:22 AM »
“ Big Gus” Alevizos

Rhino's Gym? Grosvenor St. Toronto?
Or Dundas Street ?

Yup , but thought it was the Monster gym near 401ish with the only 200lb dumb bells around.. Maybe not. Too long ago..

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
Exactly. I absolutely believe his constant desire to remain very lean is a large reason why his body rebelled against him during the final days of his wrestling reign. One can see the deterioration. Then, of course, muscles tore or shortened and everything became stringy.

Too few consider just HOW unnatural it is for someone to have mountains of muscle but at the same time be particularly lean. It’s not how the human body likes to be.

As a general rule, humans tend to gain fat with muscle and lose muscle with fat loss. Hence ... anabolic drugs pre-contest.

It is hugely unnatural.

The exact same thing happened with Lex Luger.  He looked so much more powerful early in his career than in the later years when he got that stringy look to him.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
Lex isnt too keen on "Leg Days" lately.
He's on the Joe Swanson method...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »
His head is all Bobble Head like now....   way too large for his body.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
I never really understood what happened to Lex like physically.. Paralysis?? Or..

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
Lex isnt too keen on "Leg Days" lately.
He's on the Joe Swanson method...

He had a great physique back in the day though! *LOYALTY*
Q

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
I never really understood what happened to Lex like physically.. Paralysis?? Or..

A coma I think.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »

On October 19, 2007, Luger suffered a nerve impingement in his neck that led to temporary paralysis. He underwent intravenous antibiotic treatment and was expected to make a full recovery. Nearly a month after his spinal stroke, Luger was still in a quadriplegic state, having no movement in either his arms or legs.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »

Dallas WCCW days. When he stayed out in Grapevine and was training religiously with Kerry Von Erich.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »

It is hugely unnatural.

This.