Author Topic: Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again  (Read 64203 times)

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: Ex-eBay CEO Whitman stirs up CA governor's race
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
I guess some people will believe anything, Brown is a progressive, then all of the sudden he is a centerist?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2010, 07:46:07 AM »
I guess some people will believe anything, Brown is a progressive, then all of the sudden he is a centerist?

Yeah, as if energy prices are not high enough out there.   ::)  ::)

The level of utter stupidity of the average californian never ceases to amaze me.   

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:09 AM »

The level of utter stupidity of the average californian never ceases to amaze me.   

Doesn't surprise me, have had to go there a few times on business, its like another world out there. About the only thing I liked was being able to go outside at night and not get eaten alive by mosquito's.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »

The level of utter stupidity of the average bay area or los angeles basin californian never ceases to amaze me.   

Fixed,

Most of the rest of us in the other parts of the state are somewhat normal.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:53 AM »
Mothers with immigrant housekeepers have harsh words for Whitman

Just about any way they look at it, Meg Whitman comes off badly to the moms I met at the Brentwood Country Mart.

Most of them are lifelong professionals like Whitman, with kids grown up and in college. And, like her, they've lived many years with Spanish-speaking immigrant women working in their homes.

They don't quite believe Whitman when she says she didn't know that her longtime domestic, Nicandra Diaz Santillan, was an undocumented immigrant. And if the billionaire and GOP candidate for governor is being honest — well, in a way, they think, that's even worse.

"If that's true, then what a horrible person Meg Whitman is," a 49-year-old mother of two told me as she headed to one of the Country Mart's boutiques. "How could she have this woman in her home, looking after her kids, and not have a relationship with her? You'd have to be a pretty superficial person not to know that she was illegal."

These Westside moms told me that when a woman works in your kitchen, cleans your bathrooms and prepares your food, day in and day out, you can't help but learn a lot about her. After a year, or two, or nine, she becomes part of your "extended family," as Whitman herself put it.

"They're people, with all the problems that people have," said another mom, a retired teacher who's had the same Salvadoran housekeeper working for her family for 25 years. As with all the other moms I spoke with in Brentwood, I agreed not to use her name so she could speak honestly.

"She is someone I care about deeply," the retiree said of the Salvadoran woman, who helped her raise her two daughters, now college-educated adults.

"When her daughter was having trouble in school, I helped her," the retired teacher said. "She's a dear, lovely person, and a consistent worker.... But she has a lot of problems speaking up for herself."

This mom has known for years that her maid was undocumented. "Now she's finally working to get her legal status," she said.

It's a secret kept between women in many California households. And every few years a case like Meg Whitman's brings this familiar domestic telenovela back out into the open.

The Brentwood mothers I spoke to felt for Diaz Santillan. But at a bus stop in Beverly Hills, a Latina housekeeper was far less sympathetic. Diaz Santillan, she told me, clearly was in the wrong. After all, she submitted a false Social Security number, then failed to tell the truth when presented with evidence that she had done so.

"For starters, you have to be honest," said the woman, a 45-year-old from San Salvador. "If thepatrona accepts you without papers, OK," she said. "But they have the right to say, 'I don't want you that way.'"

In Latin America, it's common for an employee to be discreet and indirect when broaching a delicate subject with a boss. In their daily interactions, Diaz Santillan probably thought she was giving Whitman more than enough clues about her immigration status. She has said that when Whitman asked her if she was going to Mexico on vacation, she replied, "I cannot travel outside the country."

One can imagine the housekeeper sadly casting her glance down on the freshly polished floors of that Silicon Valley mansion as she revealed this embarrassing truth. One can imagine her thinking: now my boss knows.

The Beverly Hills maid told me she wouldn't lie to her employer. "I know that here, for the Americans, lying is the worst," she said. "But the necessity of this lady led her to lie. I wouldn't do that, but I can put myself in her shoes."

The maid told me she arrived here a few months ago on a tourist visa. She's not supposed to be working. But so far no one has asked her for a Social Security number. And now that her husband has lost his job running a San Salvador gas station, she's desperate to make enough to keep their two daughters in school.

"These mansions — the Americans don't clean them," she said as we looked across Sunset Boulevard at the opulent order of Beverly Hills. "It's Latinas who do it."

Back at the Brentwood Country Mart, the moms pretty much owned up to that. Balancing a career, motherhood and housework would be near impossible, they told me, without the help of those quiet, reliable women.

The moms said they didn't understand how Whitman could consider someone a part of her extended family and then send her packing when she asked for help.

"After nine years I would have made a phone call at least, to look for an immigration lawyer," said one mother of two from Westwood. "Or she could have said, 'I can't keep you, but let me give you six months' salary because I know you won't find a job right away.'"

Bonds of loyalty built over many years can lead an American woman to do unexpected things.

The retired teacher told me that when her immigrant housekeeper went into labor, she drove her to the hospital. "When her daughter was having problems in school I helped her with tuition for private school," she said. "That little girl is in college now."

Thinking about the larger issue of undocumented immigrants working in this country, this mom added: "It's an unfortunate situation. We need to be generous to them."

The moms I met know how much work is done for them. They know the lives of those who do that work can be hard. They express compassion for the women in their kitchens and nurseries. They speak of trying to help them.

But generosity on this front seems to be in short supply these days.

We live in a country rich in hypocrisy. Here a billionaire running for governor can vow to hold employers accountable for following the law but deny accountability in her own home. And she can ask us to trust her while absolving her of any moral responsibility to try to help a woman who for so long helped her.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
The one-time environmental leader who left an admirable progressive legacy his first time in the governor's office (including the Agricultural Labor Relations Board, the California Conservation Corps, and the liberal Rose Bird Supreme Court) and who is willing to stand up and oppose the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant has become a centrist, tough-on-crime, no-new-taxes candidate. And his only solution to the state budget problems is to bring all the players together early and start talking.

No wonder our nation is fucked beyond repair with idiocy like this. 

what part of that is the "idiocy"?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
Your stupid ass state is hemorgging jobs and taxpayers because the radical enviro laws and mandates you have are job killers and driving the price of energy sky high. 

If you are too dense to make that connection, well, have fun with Brown. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »
Whitman's ex-maid emerges as symbol
Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer
Sunday, October 10, 2010

When she came forward as an undocumented Mexican immigrant to challenge the billionaire who was her boss for nine years, Nicandra Santillan Diaz not only helped undermine the carefully crafted message behind Meg Whitman's gubernatorial campaign but may have emerged as one of its most enduring images.

In an election year when illegal immigration has enraged conservatives from Florida and Arizona to California, the televised testimony of the Union City domestic worker - in which she recounted her firing by the former eBay CEO - made her a galvanizing figure to those on both sides of the volatile issue.

From San Francisco to Los Angeles this week, undocumented domestic and farm workers - some of them holding signs proclaiming "I am Nicky" - held demonstrations to express solidarity with Diaz. They said her statement that Whitman was "throwing me away like a piece of garbage" when she asked for help becoming a legal citizen made her the face of a new movement for the workplace rights of the undocumented.

'A national symbol'

"She is becoming a national symbol," said labor leader Dolores Huerta, co-founder with Cesar Chavez of the United Farm Workers. Huerta called Diaz's actions courageous and said her story could be a catalyst for reform at the state and national levels.

Immigrant rights activist Nativo Lopez, president of the Mexican American Political Association, said, "Nicky has become the David in the campaign of Goliath - and, I believe, will ultimately be the demise of Meg Whitman."

But on the right, conservatives have seized on Diaz's use of fraudulent documents - and called for immigration officials to arrest and even deport her.

Her story prompted Fox News host Bill O'Reilly to suggest that Diaz is the poster woman for millions of undocumented people who flout the law.

"What is Homeland Security and ICE going to do about her?" he demanded of the agency's chief, Janet Napolitano last week. Napolitano said she would "seriously" look into the matter.

Diaz claims the Republican candidate knew she was an undocumented immigrant and ignored a government request to check into her Social Security number. Diaz has filed a claim alleging that Whitman didn't pay for all the hours or mileage she was owed.

Whitman has said she hired Diaz through an employment agency and believed her documentation to be valid. When she learned otherwise, she said, she had no choice but to fire Diaz, whom she said had been "like a member of the family." She has said that Diaz is part of a political smear campaign by Democrats.

Ammiano's bill

But Democratic state Assemblyman Tom Ammiano of San Francisco said public debate of the Diaz case bolsters his efforts to give California's domestic workers, who are not protected by federal wage and hour laws, "long overdue" protections on the job.

His Domestic Workers Bill of Rights, which mirrors legislation passed recently in New York state, would entitle workers such as Diaz to overtime pay, mandated rest periods, paid holidays, vacation and sick days - and 14 days notice before they can be fired.

"Meg Whitman's treatment of Nicky Diaz is just the tip of the iceberg of a national problem," he said, calling the bill a "first step toward improving the rights of the people who are the foundation of our society and yet get so little reward."

With the gubernatorial campaign between Whitman and Democrat Jerry Brown heading into its third and final debate Tuesday, the former eBay CEO put another $2.5 million of her own money into her campaign last week, bringing her total personal investment in the race to $121.5 million - and total campaign spending to a record-shattering $150 million.

As California voters begin casting mail ballots, a hearing on the former maid's claim for $6,210 in back wages and mileage has been scheduled for Oct. 20, less than two weeks before the Nov. 2 election.

Hector Barajas, a Whitman adviser on outreach to Latino voters, said "the credibility given to Nicky Dias has evaporated" since she first spoke out Sept. 29 at the side of Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred.

'Got paid $23 an hour'

"People realize she got paid $23 an hour - three times the minimum wage - and she worked just 15 hours a week," he said. Moreover, many Latinos believe "there are certain things you can't do if you're looking to get legal in the U.S.; you can't use fake documents," he said. "That's a disqualifier."

But Lisa Garcia Bedolla, associate professor of education at UC Berkeley and author of the book "Latino Politics," said Diaz's story is as much about the personal as the political because it conflicts with Whitman's image as an inspiring boss and a decisive leader.

Although Whitman said Diaz was "part of the family," Latino voters will wonder why "someone with (Whitman's) privilege, her resources and her tremendous luck did not think she should use any of those gifts to help the person who cleaned her toilets for nine years," she said.

The story also underscores a challenge for Whitman: She must get at least 35 percent of the Latino vote, in a state where Democrats hold a 2.3 million voter advantage over Republicans, to become the next governor.

Frank Sharry, executive director of America's Voice, an immigration reform group, said the national debate over immigration - and both major parties' response to it - is "clearly having a major effect on Latino mobilization efforts."

The big question

"The $1 million question for 2010 will be whether Latinos' recent uptick in enthusiasm for Democrats - and continued view of Republicans as anti-immigrant - supersedes traditionally low levels of Latino turnout in midterm elections," said Sharry.

Guillermina Castellanos, a former domestic worker and fellow at La Raza Centro Legal in San Francisco - whose Women's Collective has assisted hundreds of domestics like Diaz - said politicians at every level should be on notice that Diaz has "opened a Pandora's box."

"Nicky Diaz has put a light on this issue," she said, "and in her story, we hear the voice of millions of other women like her."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »
The only thing this woman symbolizes is the extensive illegal immigration problem.  How in the world does someone like her hire an American attorney, file a claim, and hold a press conference for goodness sake?  Just incredible.  She should be on the next bus to Tijuana. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2010, 04:56:50 AM »
Typical of the far left - empathize with the criminals and scam artists, and attack the person who created tens of thousands of jobs, paid tens of millions in taxes, etc.

I can't wait till Cali collapses - its going to be joyous to watch the far left idiots sit and wonder why. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
SJ Mercury News Recommends
Jerry Brown for Governor

Jerry Brown is the right choice for governor

Jerry Brown offers California exactly what it needs in its next governor: a mature politician who can get things done in Sacramento and who brings good ideas, strong principles and a reputation for telling the truth.

It's popular in some circles to say we need an outsider with business experience to run government. We tried that. It didn't work. This is the time for a leader who can work the system and who will act in the best interests of the people of California. Capping his career with a second run for the office he held three decades ago, Brown, at 72, has no ax to grind, no simmering ambition that would lead him to trump the public good with pandering to special interests. He is motivated by his desire to leave a shining legacy after a lifetime of public service.

We enthusiastically recommend him for governor.

The alternative, Meg Whitman, has demonstrated through her campaign a loose relationship with the truth, a poor understanding of government and a penchant for platitudes. Her carefully packaged positions offer pat solutions for problems whose depth and complexity clearly elude her. We recommended her in the Republican primary over the shape-shifting Steve Poizner, but as the campaign has unfolded we've come to see that she utterly lacks the qualifications to be governor.

Whitman is spending more than $140 million on this campaign -- breaking all records -- largely to buy misleading ads and pay a herd of consultants to tell her what to say. Their aim is obvious, targeting various interests. What we don't know is who Meg Whitman really is, how she thinks or what she values. She can't buy credibility.

Brown is the opposite. He's so un-packaged that you never quite know what he's going to say, and sometimes it's, oh, let's just say impolitic. But when he discusses California's history, politics and challenges, you're sure to learn something. This is the benefit of his longevity in public life, including a variety of statewide offices and the thankless job of mayor of Oakland. His insight is deep and his institutional memory vast, illuminating not only what California's problems are but how they evolved through decades of different governors -- all but one since him a Republican.

Brown is not sanguine about the state's problems, but he is pragmatic. He believes in incremental change. Not long ago, this would have frustrated us. But after seeing dramatic reform ideas crash and burn (the constitutional convention) or languish on life support (California Forward's proposals), we're ready to give incremental a try.

Brown's years of public life have offered the opposition lots of campaign fodder -- a disadvantage of having a record, unlike Whitman, who rarely even voted until recently. That record is fair game, but many of Whitman's attacks are not fair.

Brown is not a pawn of unions, although labor supports him. As governor, he vetoed several pay raises for public employees, and he now supports a second tier of pension benefits, while Whitman panders to police and firefighters by exempting them from reform. Brown is proud of starting two Oakland charter schools, hardly the way to court the teachers unions.

He is a business advocate: As mayor of Oakland, he even tried to get an exemption from state environmental laws for new development in the struggling city. He supports California's global warming legislation, which has created jobs in the only sector
that's been growing through the recession, while Whitman's position on the law is wishy-washy. And he is clear on immigration policy while Whitman was all over the map even before her undocumented former housekeeper showed up.

Brown has built relationships with members of both parties, working well with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, for example. When we asked Whitman recently what Democratic leaders she has met with to prepare for this run, she replied: none.

Perhaps the best illustration of Whitman's manipulation of facts and cluelessness about government is the anecdote she likes to tell about eBay's building project in San Jose. It took 21/2 years to break ground, and she uses this as an example of government regulation run amok. But it was eBay's decision to redesign the project that held things up, not San Jose, which fast-tracked the plan. When we brought this up to her, she shrugged and said it just shouldn't have taken that long -- as if the reason didn't matter.

Jerry Brown doesn't need to fudge anecdotes to make a point. He knows what he's talking about from experience. And if he makes a mistake, he'll own up, probably with self-deprecating humor.

Brown is the right choice for California at this critical time.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »
brown represents everything that caused this mess, everything obama.

yet he'll probably win this race, despite all the anti-incumbent sentiment---

BECAUSE THE REPUBS LET A WEAK CANDIDATE BUY HER WAY TO THE NOMINATION.

If they had voted based upon candidate strength, honesty, and competence, she woudn't have won it.  instead, they let themselves be suckered by her mass advertising buys.  She bought the nomination, but it's not working in the general.  Just like in DEL and NY, the repubs nominated an unelectable candidate.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »
brown represents everything that caused this mess, everything obama.

yet he'll probably win this race, despite all the anti-incumbent sentiment---

BECAUSE THE REPUBS LET A WEAK CANDIDATE BUY HER WAY TO THE NOMINATION.

If they had voted based upon candidate strength, honesty, and competence, she woudn't have won it.  instead, they let themselves be suckered by her mass advertising buys.  She bought the nomination, but it's not working in the general.  Just like in DEL and NY, the repubs nominated an unelectable candidate.

::)

Like who?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
Insurance commissioner Steve Poizner was a better GOP choice than Whitman, but he did not have the party backing nor the money to keep up with her.  :-[

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »
Insurance commissioner Steve Poizner was a better GOP choice than Whitman, but he did not have the party backing nor the money to keep up with her.  :-[

Like I said - I am going to pull out a lawn chair with a case of beer and thoroughly enjoy your state imploding when you clowns elect Brown. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
SJ Mercury News Recommends
Jerry Brown for Governor

Jerry Brown is the right choice for governor

Jerry Brown offers California exactly what it needs in its next governor: a mature politician who can get things done in Sacramento and who brings good ideas, strong principles and a reputation for telling the truth.

It's popular in some circles to say we need an outsider with business experience to run government. We tried that. It didn't work. This is the time for a leader who can work the system and who will act in the best interests of the people of California. Capping his career with a second run for the office he held three decades ago, Brown, at 72, has no ax to grind, no simmering ambition that would lead him to trump the public good with pandering to special interests. He is motivated by his desire to leave a shining legacy after a lifetime of public service.

We enthusiastically recommend him for governor.

The alternative, Meg Whitman, has demonstrated through her campaign a loose relationship with the truth, a poor understanding of government and a penchant for platitudes. Her carefully packaged positions offer pat solutions for problems whose depth and complexity clearly elude her. We recommended her in the Republican primary over the shape-shifting Steve Poizner, but as the campaign has unfolded we've come to see that she utterly lacks the qualifications to be governor.

Whitman is spending more than $140 million on this campaign -- breaking all records -- largely to buy misleading ads and pay a herd of consultants to tell her what to say. Their aim is obvious, targeting various interests. What we don't know is who Meg Whitman really is, how she thinks or what she values. She can't buy credibility.

Brown is the opposite. He's so un-packaged that you never quite know what he's going to say, and sometimes it's, oh, let's just say impolitic. But when he discusses California's history, politics and challenges, you're sure to learn something. This is the benefit of his longevity in public life, including a variety of statewide offices and the thankless job of mayor of Oakland. His insight is deep and his institutional memory vast, illuminating not only what California's problems are but how they evolved through decades of different governors -- all but one since him a Republican.

Brown is not sanguine about the state's problems, but he is pragmatic. He believes in incremental change. Not long ago, this would have frustrated us. But after seeing dramatic reform ideas crash and burn (the constitutional convention) or languish on life support (California Forward's proposals), we're ready to give incremental a try.

Brown's years of public life have offered the opposition lots of campaign fodder -- a disadvantage of having a record, unlike Whitman, who rarely even voted until recently. That record is fair game, but many of Whitman's attacks are not fair.

Brown is not a pawn of unions, although labor supports him. As governor, he vetoed several pay raises for public employees, and he now supports a second tier of pension benefits, while Whitman panders to police and firefighters by exempting them from reform. Brown is proud of starting two Oakland charter schools, hardly the way to court the teachers unions.

He is a business advocate: As mayor of Oakland, he even tried to get an exemption from state environmental laws for new development in the struggling city. He supports California's global warming legislation, which has created jobs in the only sector
that's been growing through the recession, while Whitman's position on the law is wishy-washy. And he is clear on immigration policy while Whitman was all over the map even before her undocumented former housekeeper showed up.

Brown has built relationships with members of both parties, working well with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, for example. When we asked Whitman recently what Democratic leaders she has met with to prepare for this run, she replied: none.

Perhaps the best illustration of Whitman's manipulation of facts and cluelessness about government is the anecdote she likes to tell about eBay's building project in San Jose. It took 21/2 years to break ground, and she uses this as an example of government regulation run amok. But it was eBay's decision to redesign the project that held things up, not San Jose, which fast-tracked the plan. When we brought this up to her, she shrugged and said it just shouldn't have taken that long -- as if the reason didn't matter.

Jerry Brown doesn't need to fudge anecdotes to make a point. He knows what he's talking about from experience. And if he makes a mistake, he'll own up, probably with self-deprecating humor.

Brown is the right choice for California at this critical time.

I am still undecided.  although not leaning as much towards Wittman.  I like Jerry Brown.  I have listen to numerous radio interviews with him over the years.  I think he did a good job in Oakland.  The biggest thing that worries me about him is that he represents everything that's wrong with California.  He neck deep in politics there, special interest groups, rubbing people's back etc...  I fear he'll just make it worse.  With Meg i like her messages, but don't trust her integrity as much now.  She'll try and change things which will cause lots of problems too, but she isn't part of that political club there.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2010, 10:55:11 AM »
Editorial: Meg Whitman for governor

The Register's Editorial Board endorses Meg Whitman for governor of California.

Government isn't a business, but business principles are helpful, especially now. Ms. Whitman built a tiny start-up into the massively successful online giant eBay. She promises to apply cost-benefit analysis to legislation. California can't afford Jerry Brown's government-engineered Utopian dreams, even if they were possible to achieve.

We have some reservations about Ms. Whitman, a political newbie. But our reservations have to do with uncertainties – what we don't yet know about her. Our reservations with her opponent, Mr. Brown, are rooted in certainties – what we do know about him after his lifetime in various political offices.

We are uncertain but encouraged that the focused, no-nonsense Ms. Whitman will perform in office as a limited-government, anti-tax, pro-free-market champion, protecting the public from over-reaching government, as she promises. She's California's best hope in this election for the state's financial revival and entrepreneurial, aspirational renewal.

We are certain how Mr. Brown would perform if elected, based on his far-left, big-government and even, at times, peculiar history in office.

Ms. Whitman calls for targeted tax cuts. In their recent televised debate, Mr. Brown refused to even offer a defense of Proposition 13, California's most significant taxpayer protection against government's confiscatory greed. "There are no sacred cows," Mr. Brown said, which we fear is an ominous portent of his willingness to sacrifice taxpayer protections on the altar of his tax-and-spend proclivities.

California government is teetering on the brink of insolvency. It's clear the solution isn't further burdens on taxpayers to finance more government spending. Nor will the exodus to more business-friendly states of businesses and the jobs they provide be reversed by imposing more regulations and restrictions, such as the Global Warming Solutions Act. As attorney general, Mr. Brown already has gone to court to force localities to conform to aspects of that law, also known as Assembly Bill 32. Ms. Whitman has called for suspending the law for one year to study its costs and benefits.

Unless the "size and scope" of state government is scaled back, or at least held to a Colorado-style benchmark of growth in population plus inflation, fiscal calamity looms. The solution isn't more taxes, more oppressive regulation or more government. The solution lies in reducing government, balancing the budget and reducing taxes. That's how businesses will flourish, and jobs will be created. We know Mr. Brown won't do that. We believe Ms. Whitman can and will.

© Copyright 2010  Orange County Register

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
arnold has plenty of business in his background.

did it serve him well over hte 'lifetime politician' gray davis?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »
Meg Whitman's $140 million could turn Calif. governor's vote
By Karen Tumulty, Washington Post Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES - To spend any time at all in California these days is to feel the gale force of Meg Whitman's money.

Sure, California has seen its share of wealthy novice candidates from the business world, most of whom have failed. But the billionaire former CEO of eBay is waging a campaign for governor unlike any before, both in its resources and in a no-voter-left-behind strategy that no Republican here has ever tried.

Like earlier big-money candidates in this vast state, Whitman has carpet-bombed the airwaves. Lately she has been running more than 1,300 television spots a day, according to the Campaign Media Analysis Group, which tracks political advertising.

It is the most expensive campaign ever for a nonpresidential candidate. Whitman has poured about $140 million of her personal fortune into the race so far, outspending her Democratic opponent, Jerry Brown, by better than 10 to 1.

What could get Whitman over the goal line in a close game, however, are some of her quieter moves.

She has set up nearly 90 campaign offices - not only in GOP strongholds like Shasta County, but in such Democratic bastions as liberal Oakland and Latino east Los Angeles. Her multilingual phone banks have reached households that speak Russian, Farsi and Korean; her Spanish-language ads blanket billboards and bus stops; she is running television spots in Mandarin and Cantonese.

Using state-of-the-art microtargeting software, her campaign trawls mountains of publicly and commercially available data, searching for prospective supporters by their voting histories, their income and ethnicity, the cars they drive, the magazines they read, the catalogues they shop from, even the groceries they buy.

When Californians open their mailboxes to find yet another piece of Whitman literature there, it is likely to be one that zeroes in on a specific issue they care about. A college-educated independent in his 20s may get a brochure designed to look like an iPad that features information about Whitman's record as a Silicon Valley superstar; a construction worker in his 30s who votes only sporadically might get one that focuses on her promise to create more highway construction jobs.

Whitman's team says she is doing what it takes for a Republican and first-time candidate to win in a state where Democrats have a 13-point voter registration edge, especially against a former governor who won his first statewide office almost 40 years ago and whose father was governor before him.

"The Brown family name is the most powerful name in California," said Whitman's chief strategist, Mike Murphy. "It's like running against a Kennedy in Massachusetts."

Will it all pay off, or is Whitman about to become an even more spectacular failure than such businessmen-turned-candidates as airline executive Al Checchi, oilman Michael Huffington and financier Bill Simon, all of whom spent big and fell short in California?

In many ways, Whitman would seem the ideal candidate for this year's anti-incumbent environment, except that California tried electing an independent-minded Republican outsider the last time it chose a new governor - and Arnold Schwarzenegger's approval rating now stands in the low 20s.

Whitman promises to bring sound business principles to government, and she hammers Brown as a relic of its failure. She wants to eliminate a capital gains tax that she says drives investors from the state, cut 33,000 workers from the state payroll and put new ones into 401 (k)s, rather than pensions.

Yet it can be difficult to envision how she could get all that done in a capital as partisan and sclerotic as Sacramento. This year, the legislature was 100 days late in passing a budget full of gimmicks.

While her message has been disciplined - focusing around jobs, elementary and high school education, and cutting government spending - it has not been as compelling as Republicans had hoped it would be. The two candidates have traded leads in the polls, and the latest suggest that Brown is pulling ahead slightly.

But the race remains fluid, and recently, each campaign has gotten caught up in a distractoversy: Whitman's over hiring and then firing an illegal immigrant as a housekeeper; Brown over a recording of someone in his campaign referring to Whitman as a "whore."

Brown is getting help from his union allies, who have spent nearly $14 million on his behalf. One of them, Service Employees International Union, recently announced a $5 million ad campaign targeting Latinos. But some Democrats are nervous that they are seeing nothing on their side to match Whitman's operation.

Brown has conserved his own cash for a big advertising push at the end. "He will be arguably competitive on the air for the last four weeks, but I do not believe there is anything approaching a get-out-the-vote operation on the ground that is going to be up to the task," said longtime Democratic operative Garry South, who was the top strategist for former governor Gray Davis.

From outside appearances, South said, Whitman has built "the most extensive absentee-ballot program and get-out-the-vote program that California has ever seen in any race whatsoever."

Yet even some Republicans worry that the shock-and-awe of Whitman's television ad campaign has simply become too much for California voters.

"She may have been a little overexposed in the summer," said Kenneth Khachigian, a veteran Republican strategist who is advising another former Silicon Valley executive, Carly Fiorina, in her bid to unseat Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer. "She used the same template over and over again, and I think people started to tune out."

"I knew it would be like this, but it is all-consuming. It is more consuming than eBay, which is sort of hard to imagine, actually. It is 24-by-seven, and it takes everything you have to do this well."

That was a year ago, and Meg Whitman 2.0 was addressing an audience of female executives near San Diego at Fortune magazine's annual Most Powerful Women Summit.

Whitman had come to eBay in 1988 after a series of big jobs at more traditional corporations, where she managed brands that ranged from Stride Rite shoes to FTD flowers to Mr. Potato Head. When she first got a feeler from the two-year-old online auction business, she hadn't expected to be interested. But when Whitman got a look at its numbers - 30 percent growth a month, and gross margins of 85 percent-she suddenly saw the potential.

Over the 10 years she guided eBay, it became an $8 billion behemoth with 15,000 employees and 300 million registered users. The feat landed her eighth on Harvard Business Review's list of best-performing CEOs of the decade.

"She imposed a lot of order and structure, and made it a grown-up organization in a way it hadn't been before," said Adam Cohen, the author of "The Perfect Store," a history of eBay. "Her business style was one of real attention to detail, and real concern for infrastructure."

Whitman acknowledged that what she is attempting now is a very different kind of start-up.

"In business, there are very measurable results all the time, and people can be held accountable for those results," she told the female executives. "In campaigns, and actually in governing, the results are not as clear. There is not nearly as much accountability. And in the case of a campaign, the only result that anyone really focuses on is the end result: Did you win or lose?"

To win, Whitman calculated that she had to have 90 percent of Republican voters - "so you have to get the base of the party excited" - and 60 percent of independents. Her best shot at doing that was to make inroads with three groups that hadn't been voting Republican lately: women, Latinos and 18-to-29-year-olds.

Whitman, who declined to be interviewed for this article, has warmed up considerably as a candidate since the earliest days of her campaign; yet Republicans say she has not connected on a gut level in a state where unemployment is now running at more than 15 percent in much of the Central Valley and where one-third of those who hold mortgages are trapped in houses that are worth less than what they owe.

Said one GOP strategist, who did not want to be identified criticizing his party's nominee: "You could hold a gun to my head, and I couldn't tell you why she's running for governor. All people know is that this is a very rich person."

One of the proudest achievements of the Whitman campaign sits in a strip mall near the end of an offramp in east Los Angeles. Placards in the windows promise: Mejor trabajos, Crear empleos, Mejorar nuestra escuelas.

It is a bright new campaign office, one that Whitman's team claims to be the first that any Republican statewide candidate has opened in the neighborhood for at least 30 years. It is also a statement of how serious Whitman is about her stated goal of picking up 40 percent of the Latino vote, which is about double the percentage that Republican candidates have recently won in California.

The office has been vandalized several times. Every few days bring a new group of demonstrators to the sidewalk out front: domestic workers who want to highlight the controversy over Whitman's former housekeeper, veterans who say they are offended by her spotty voting record, young Latinos dressed in caps and gowns protesting her opposition to legislation that would legalize undocumented immigrants who get an education or join the military.

But there are also some promising developments. Last Tuesday night, about 30 people, almost all of them Latino or Asian, gathered around a television in the east Los Angeles office to watch their candidate in her final debate against Brown.

Among them were Christina Garcia, a 43-year-old Realtor, and her 65-year-old father, Carlos Garcia, a Realtor's assistant, who said they are among the rare Republicans in their neighborhood of El Sereno. Carlos added that he had worked on Jerry Brown's first campaign for governor. "But I know better now," he said. "Entrepreneurship is the only way we are going to make something happen here in L.A."

People like the Garcias represent the return on Whitman's vast investment. In a couple of weeks, she may become the return on theirs.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
Please please please go for Brown.  i can't wait to break out the beers and popcorn and watch you leftists implode and collapse along with NYS when we get Cuomo. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »
Still most of what I see is why not to vote for someone. Lol

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
Still most of what I see is why not to vote for someone. Lol

Again - here is the 333386 formula for voting.

Whitman - 50  -  50    - 50% chance of failure    -  50% chance of success based on her tenure at Ebay. 

Brown - 100% chance he will impose more taxes, regulation, and nanny state bs based on his track record. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »

"Meg Whitman said it herself, 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results,'" said Brown campaign manager Steven Glazer. "Yet the Long Island native has had no qualms about recycling the same platitudes, repackaging the same campaign events and rehiring the same high-priced consultants as the state’s current governor."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2010, 10:40:47 AM »

You do know that Brown was once governor before and is partially responsible for the mess you are in correct? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Why vote for Brown?  So far All I seem to get is why not vote for Meg