Author Topic: "Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American"  (Read 5093 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: "Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American

There is a double standard: White terrorists are dealt with as lone wolves, Islamists are existential threats
By David Sirota

more

Topics: Racism, Xenophobia, Boston Explosions, U.S. foreign policy, Immigration Reform, Muslims, Editor's Picks, White people, male, News, Politics News

Timothy McVeigh, Osama Bin Laden(Credit: AP/David Longstreath)

As we now move into the official Political Aftermath period of the Boston bombing — the period that will determine the long-term legislative fallout of the atrocity — the dynamics of privilege will undoubtedly influence the nation’s collective reaction to the attacks. That’s because privilege tends to determine: 1) which groups are — and are not — collectively denigrated or targeted for the unlawful actions of individuals; and 2) how big and politically game-changing the overall reaction ends up being.

This has been most obvious in the context of recent mass shootings. In those awful episodes, a religious or ethnic minority group lacking such privilege would likely be collectively slandered and/or targeted with surveillance or profiling (or worse) if some of its individuals comprised most of the mass shooters. However, white male privilege means white men are not collectively denigrated/targeted for those shootings — even though most come at the hands of white dudes.

Likewise, in the context of terrorist attacks, such privilege means white non-Islamic terrorists are typically portrayed not as representative of whole groups or ideologies, but as “lone wolf” threats to be dealt with as isolated law enforcement matters. Meanwhile, non-white or developing-world terrorism suspects are often reflexively portrayed as representative of larger conspiracies, ideologies and religions that must be dealt with as systemic threats — the kind potentially requiring everything from law enforcement action to military operations to civil liberties legislation to foreign policy shifts.

“White privilege is knowing that even if the bomber turns out to be white, no one will call for your group to be profiled as terrorists as a result, subjected to special screening or threatened with deportation,” writes author Tim Wise. “White privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the United States government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas. And if he turns out to be a member of the Irish Republican Army we won’t bomb Dublin. And if he’s an Italian-American Catholic we won’t bomb the Vatican.”

Because of these undeniable and pervasive double standards, the specific identity of the Boston Marathon bomber (or bombers) is not some minor detail — it will almost certainly dictate what kind of governmental, political and societal response we see in the coming weeks. That means regardless of your particular party affiliation, if you care about everything from stopping war to reducing the defense budget to protecting civil liberties to passing immigration reform, you should hope the bomber was a white domestic terrorist. Why? Because only in that case will privilege work to prevent the Boston attack from potentially undermining progress on those other issues.

To know that’s true is to simply consider how America reacts to different kinds of terrorism.

Though FBI data show fewer terrorist plots involving Muslims than terrorist plots involving non-Muslims, America has mobilized a full-on war effort exclusively against the prospect of Islamic terrorism. Indeed, the moniker “War on Terrorism” has come to specifically mean “War on Islamic Terrorism,” involving everything from new laws like the Patriot Act, to a new torture regime, to new federal agencies like the Transportation Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security, to wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to mass surveillance of Muslim communities.

By contrast, even though America has seen a consistent barrage of attacks from domestic non-Islamic terrorists, the privilege and double standards baked into our national security ideologies means those attacks have resulted in no systemic action of the scope marshaled against foreign terrorists. In fact, it has been quite the opposite — according to Darryl Johnson, the senior domestic terrorism analyst at the Department of Homeland Security, the conservative movement backlash to merely reporting the rising threat of such domestic terrorism resulted in DHS seriously curtailing its initiatives against that particular threat. (Irony alert: When it comes specifically to fighting white non-Muslim domestic terrorists, the right seems to now support the very doctrine it criticized Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry for articulating — the doctrine that sees fighting terrorism as primarily “an intelligence-gathering, law-enforcement, public-diplomacy effort” and not something more systemic.)

Enter the Boston bombing. Coming at the very moment the U.S. government is planning to withdraw from Afghanistan, considering cuts to the Pentagon budget, discussing civil liberties principles and debating landmark immigration legislation, the attack could easily become the fulcrum of all of those contentious policy debates — that is, depending on the demographic profile of the assailant.

If recent history is any guide, if the bomber ends up being a white anti-government extremist, white privilege will likely mean the attack is portrayed as just an isolated incident — one that has no bearing on any larger policy debates. Put another way, white privilege will work to not only insulate whites from collective blame, but also to insulate the political debate from any fallout from the attack.

It will probably be much different if the bomber ends up being a Muslim and/or a foreigner from the developing world. As we know from our own history, when those kind of individuals break laws in such a high-profile way, America often cites them as both proof that entire demographic groups must be targeted, and that therefore a more systemic response is warranted. At that point, it’s easy to imagine conservatives citing Boston as a reason to block immigration reform defense spending cuts and the Afghan War withdrawal and to further expand surveillance and other encroachments on civil liberties.

If that sounds hard to believe, just look at yesterday’s comments by right-wing radio host Laura Ingraham, whose talking points often become Republican Party doctrine. Though authorities haven’t even identified a suspect in the Boston attack, she (like other conservatives) seems to already assume the assailant is foreign, and is consequently citing the attack as rationale to slam the immigration reform bill.

The same Laura Ingraham, of course, was one of the leading voices criticizing the Department of Homeland Security for daring to even report on right-wing domestic terrorism. In that sense, she perfectly embodies the double standard that, more than anything, will determine the long-term political impact of the Boston bombing.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »
If that sounds hard to believe, just look at yesterday’s comments by right-wing radio host Laura Ingraham, whose talking points often become Republican Party doctrine.

Just by reading this line you can tell right away that the article is pure garbage.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »
If that sounds hard to believe, just look at yesterday’s comments by right-wing radio host Laura Ingraham, whose talking points often become Republican Party doctrine.

Just by reading this line you can tell right away that the article is pure garbage.

Being liberal = being a communist shithead. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:38:52 AM »
Actor blames Boston attack on gun culture: ’2nd amendment must go’

4:06 PM 04/16/2013

inShare.

Caroline May
Political Reporter See All Articles
 Email Caroline May
Subscribe to RSS
 Follow on Twitter
 Bio

Ads by Google

inShare.

Actor and comedian Jay Mohr waded into the gun debate on Twitter after Monday’s deadly terrorist attacks at the Boston Marathon.

“What bothers me most about today is that we’re getting used 2 it. ENOUGH. 2nd amendment must go. Violence has 2 stop. Culture MUST change,” the Jerry Maguire actor tweeted Monday night.

What bothers me most about today is that we’re getting used 2 it. ENOUGH. 2nd amendment must go. Violence has 2 stop. Culture MUST change.

— Jay Mohr (@jaymohr37) April 15, 2013

Ads by Google

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/16/actor-blames-boston-attack-on-gun-culture-2nd-amendment-must-go/#ixzz2Qiw3uugG

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »
On a side note, I can't think of any bomber that turned out to be black.  Or has there been one?  I can't seem to remember any.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:21 AM »
On a side note, I can't think of any bomber that turned out to be black.  Or has there been one?  I can't seem to remember any.

Black Panthers of the 70's blew some shit up right?

We know Bill Ayeres did though - maybe he can give some insite on this

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:00:55 AM »

I'm sure there has been but even if there hasn't, I don't think that means anything.
A

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »

With the exception of the great Michael Savage and Alex Jones, it's pretty much the other way around with talk radio. The GOP writes the script and whores like her and Sean Hannity follow it.

In any event, I think a better headline would be: "Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is caught and executed."

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
I don't remember any right-wingers being arrested for bomb plots in the last year or two. I do remember quite a few left-wing Occupiers being arrested for plotting to blow up bridges and such, though.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:28:41 AM »
I'm sure there has been but even if there hasn't, I don't think that means anything.

Naw, it don't mean anything.  I was just trying to think of any case where the bomber may have been black. 

Black Panthers of the 70's blew some shit up right?

We know Bill Ayeres did though - maybe he can give some insite on this

I meant in the typical sense like operating alone.  Like Timothy or the Unabomber or the Olympic Park bomber. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »
Naw, it don't mean anything.  I was just trying to think of any case where the bomber may have been black. 

I meant in the typical sense like operating alone.  Like Timothy or the Unabomber or the Olympic Park bomber. 

Nah - they just shoot people like Colin Ferguson did

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »
And you notice this crackpot conveniently leaves out what should happen if the bomber is a white LEFT-WINGED terrorist.

I'm sure they'll line up a university job for him in 15 years.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:25 AM »
Nah - they just shoot people like Colin Ferguson did

Whattcho talking about Willis?  Black folks can't make bombs?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
Whattcho talking about Willis?  Black folks can't make bombs?

Its a different mo.  They can of course - but usually making bombs takes too much time for someone w impulsive rage 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
Its a different mo.  They can of course - but usually making bombs takes too much time for someone w impulsive rage 

That's what I was hinting at.  I can see a group of saggy pants cuzs standing around trying to make a bomb doing all that hand gesturing and crotch grabbing.  Then blowing themselves up by accident.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
 ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »
;D

So Team "Thrill-Up-My-Leg" is 0 for 2. The Boston bomber ain't white. The ricin guy is; but he's a Democrat.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
and don't forget a christian  ;D

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 02:20:12 PM »
and don't forget a christian  ;D

So he's double dumb?
Y

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »
Bump. F u sirota you white leftist shitbsg

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:48 AM »
They are saying one is dead now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:47 AM »

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Dead Bombing Suspect: "I Don't Have a Single American Friend"

By David Weigel

|

Posted Friday, April 19, 2013, at 8:03 AM

Police have identified Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, as the "black hat" bombing suspect, killed during the manhunt that followed. Readers have pointed out that Johannes Hirn made Tsarnaev the subject of a photo essay, "Will Box for Passport," taken before the boxer competed at National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City. The captions give us a micro-profile of the suspect.

Tamerlan, who studies at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston and wants to become an engineer, took the semester off from school to train for the competition.

Tamerlan fled Chechnya with his family because of the conflict in the early 90s, and lived for years in Kazakhstan before getting to the United States as a refugee.

Originally from Chechnya, but living in the United States since five years, Tamerlan says: "I don't have a single American friend, I don't understand them."

If he wins enough fights... Tamerlan says he could be selected for the US Olympic team and be naturalized American. Unless his native Chechnya becomes independent, Tamerlan says he would rather compete for the United States than for Russia.

Tamerlan says he doesn't drink or smoke anymore: "God said no alcohol." A muslim, he says: "There are no values anymore," and worries that "people can't control themselves."

This YouTube account may be Tsarnaev's.

UPDATE: Justin Hart located Tamerlan's Amazon wishlist. Among the hits:

- How to Make Driver's Licenses and Other ID on Your Home Computer

- The I.D. Forger: Homemade Birth Certificates & ​Other Documents Explained

- Secrets Of A Back Alley ID Man: Fake Id Construction Techniques Of The Underground

- The Lone Wolf And the Bear: Three Centuries of Chechen Defiance of Russian Rule

- Organized Crime: AN INSIDE GUIDE TO THE WORLD'S MOST SUCCESSFUL INDUSTRY

And, of course...

- How to Win Friends & Influ​ence People

Read more on Slate about the Boston Marathon bombing.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 06:01:18 AM »
Somehow the above is going to end up being our(US) fault.  We weren't nice enough so he decided to blow people up.
A