Author Topic: CHanging gyms  (Read 2321 times)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
CHanging gyms
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:22:32 AM »
A new posh gym has just opened less than a 100 yards from my home.  Went in to check it out and its shiny as hell.  Am tempted to join but it has no squat rack and the dumbbells are not quite heavy enough.  It does however have all the Hammer Strength and various other good machines.

At the moment I'm training at a really hardcore place.  Dirty, mainly free weights, few cables and frequented by mostly roid users and wannabes.

I like the idea of this new gym being next to my place and it has fancy shit like steam rooms etc.  Is it worth switchin over?  Can I make gains using Hammer strength machines?  Is it worth forsaking heavy dumbells and a squat rack for hammer strength machines?  I hear they're good. I'd still be able to bench and deadlift.  I'm torn....
It hasn't helped...

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: CHanging gyms
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:05:52 AM »
Which one is cheaper?  Which one has the best hours?  These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.

Oh yeah,  which one has hotter chicks.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
Mmm....tough choice.

I can see the advantages in both but at the end of the day you'll have to go with the one that best suits your goals and your whole purpose for training. If you're serious about lifting then I would go with the old one but if you're just there to maintain then go with the new one.

I've been in your predicament before - I've always gone back to the hardcore gym. The people in those places are usually genuine and they help you out whereas the people in these posh places tend to be so far up their arses that they won't see you from looking down their noses.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
do you need to sign up for a year? if not then you might wanna give it a try for a shorter time
Z

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
I used to workout at a gym, wouldn't call it hardcore, but it was mainly free weights with a couple machine weights, and treadmills and ellipticals.  Now I'm training at a fitness center.  Hardly any free weights.  Not one bench minus the smith machine which I've been using.  DB's to 90lbs.  But I don't pay a dime to go there so I guess I can't complain.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »
depends on how "hardcore" you are and what your goals are.  personally, i would never train in a no squat rack gym.....

A2daMIR

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:05:25 AM »
Which one is cheaper?  Which one has the best hours?  These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.

Oh yeah,  which one has hotter chicks.

i dont agree with the hotter chicks and the cheaper one, the question  which one has better/more variety of equipments? remember, if you join a gym with dumbells going to 75, no squat rack, only one bench etc, then your just wasting your time... and also which one has better hours as you said, because if you cant fit it in your schedule, then it dont matter what the gym has

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
A new posh gym has just opened less than a 100 yards from my home.  Went in to check it out and its shiny as hell.  Am tempted to join but it has no squat rack and the dumbbells are not quite heavy enough.  It does however have all the Hammer Strength and various other good machines.

At the moment I'm training at a really hardcore place.  Dirty, mainly free weights, few cables and frequented by mostly roid users and wannabes.

I like the idea of this new gym being next to my place and it has fancy shit like steam rooms etc.  Is it worth switchin over?  Can I make gains using Hammer strength machines?  Is it worth forsaking heavy dumbells and a squat rack for hammer strength machines?  I hear they're good. I'd still be able to bench and deadlift.  I'm torn....
IF  those are youre only choices find another gym sounds like both suck what gym doesnt have a squat rack..........cheaper than any of those crappy hammer strength machines...
p

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
Go talk to the manager of the new gym see if he'll give you a couple weeks free just to check it out... I doubt you'll like it much, but if you keep talking to him/her you can tell them you're not gonna stay because

a) no squat racks
b) needs more dbs
c) too many assclowns

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
Hammer Strength machines are awesome, definitely my favorite machines...but I wouldn't trade them for sufficient dumbell weights and a squat rack.  The dumbells in particular would be the influencing factor, if you really do use dumbells that are heavier than the gym has.  Of course, that's never been a problem for me.   ;D

:)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
Hammer Strength machines are awesome, definitely my favorite machines...but I wouldn't trade them for sufficient dumbell weights and a squat rack.  The dumbells in particular would be the influencing factor, if you really do use dumbells that are heavier than the gym has.  Of course, that's never been a problem for me.   ;D

you don't row the 165's Rip?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

Not yet!!   :D

;D i don't either because my gym only has 150's.

smaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 02:45:28 AM »
Thanks guys, some good replies.  Lol at the assclowns, how did you know there were so many?

Checked with them and seems they're not planning to get a squat rack or any more dumbells. They would suggest it to their managers though. 

Guess I'm too hardcore after all.  Back to the dungeon for me.
It hasn't helped...

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »
Thanks guys, some good replies.  Lol at the assclowns, how did you know there were so many?

Checked with them and seems they're not planning to get a squat rack or any more dumbells. They would suggest it to their managers though. 

There's always assclowns, if that gym got squat racks they would probably be used for 65lb curls more often than any other exercise

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 06:34:56 AM »
join both gyms...I'm a member at 2 diff. and one is a LA fitness which there are several in the area..I can go to any of them..therefore, I pay 2 seperate memberships and have a choice of 6 diff gyms within a 10 mile radius..it's so worth it..the variety is great! Just my suggestion..I give up a few splurges to cover the $68/month in gym fees :)

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 06:52:05 AM »

Good man.  8)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »
I go to two gyms also for right now, one Worlds Gym and the other a "fitness center"
X

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
join both gyms...I'm a member at 2 diff. and one is a LA fitness which there are several in the area..I can go to any of them..therefore, I pay 2 seperate memberships and have a choice of 6 diff gyms within a 10 mile radius..it's so worth it..the variety is great! Just my suggestion..I give up a few splurges to cover the $68/month in gym fees :)

>:( :(
I pay over 900 a year for my gym membership, and im only a member of 1 gym. But a lot of gyms here in Aus are a rip off.
No doubt about it...

bigkahuna

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »
>:( :(
I pay over 900 a year for my gym membership, and im only a member of 1 gym. But a lot of gyms here in Aus are a rip off.

I know what you mean!

the price of otc supps is getting ridiculous here in aus.....as well as "other" supplements

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »
I know what you mean!

the price of otc supps is getting ridiculous here in aus.....as well as "other" supplements

Tell me about it.

Honestly the amount we are forced to pay for just good old protein powder and shit is just ridicolous. Im thinking of possibly buying some stuff from bodybuilding.com, don't know if that'll be cheaper. Hopefully wont have any problems bringing it over here too :-\
No doubt about it...

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »
If you do that, be careful of what you buy.  Check out the thread below before wasting your money on stuff customs might grab:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=467059

smaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:07 AM »
My hardcore gym is closing end of this month.  :'(

Did I make this happen by doubting?
It hasn't helped...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 12:19:15 AM »
My hardcore gym is closing end of this month.  :'(

Did I make this happen by doubting?

Yes.

Hardcore gyms= dying breed.

My gym is a good median, not so hardcore that it has no equipment and is dirty, but no posh fitness club place.
No doubt about it...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 07:05:09 AM »
Since it's closing you might as well try out a couple of places including that one near you, each for one or more weeks.

As far as machines, the workouts will be different but can be just as effective. The biggest factor isn't the equipment in most cases, it's the vibe and whether the place itself will motivate you to work your ass off. Some of the nicer gyms are too sterile, and everyone stares at someone working out hard, so you have to try it and see whether it can work.

Sample it and some other gyms for the pros & cons then decide.

smaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 11:53:54 PM »
Since it's closing you might as well try out a couple of places including that one near you, each for one or more weeks.

As far as machines, the workouts will be different but can be just as effective. The biggest factor isn't the equipment in most cases, it's the vibe and whether the place itself will motivate you to work your ass off. Some of the nicer gyms are too sterile, and everyone stares at someone working out hard, so you have to try it and see whether it can work.

Sample it and some other gyms for the pros & cons then decide.

First workout was interesting.  Every single man seems to wear a vest yet have 12 inch arms.  I did not see a single person sweating.  The vibe was indeed not too great.  Guess my Ipod will see a lot of use from now on.  And you are completely right, a lot of man were really staring at me when I was doing stiff-leg deadlifts and improvised calf raises.  Will give it a month and see how I feel.  Thanks!
It hasn't helped...