Author Topic: Do you give unsolicited lifting advice?  (Read 5553 times)

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
Re: Do you give unsolicited lifting advice?
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Ah, the old deadlift argument - pointless or not? Well if you're a powerlifter the answer is obvious. If not, I personally think Romanian Deadlifts may be a much better variation in terms of visible growth, lesser CNS deficit, and ability to increase frequency and/or volume.

Maybe it depends on build and levers also? I've known guys who grew just great using conventional deads as a staple and guys who didn't.

Luckily we have "Chuckles" who will probably be along shortly admonishing us all to just shut up and squat - and he's kinda right, so.........

be back

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 09:47:40 PM »
No it isn't. You dont interact with anybody. Id be surprised if you could even order food at a restaurant without fucking it it up or typing it out on your flip phone for the waitress to read. Fucking crosseyed autistic adult with zero social skills hahahaha holy fuck everything you type is comedy.

hahaha. you know nothing about me fuckwit...

You're one of lifes losers, no prospects, no future (apart from a jail cell), it wont be long before you are drunk behind the wheel again, chances are you will end up killing someone because of your own selfish stupidity.

at least them we might get a break from your bullshit, but then again, you would probably get your own cell with wifi and an iphone.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
Only when I wanted to get laid...

Bench

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
Only when I wanted to get laid...

Bench

Bench,  welcome back!!!! 

You've been missed.  NO HOMO

Yeah, whole darn place had gone downhill since your last post in 2015.  :-\

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
Bench,  welcome back!!!! 

You've been missed.  NO HOMO

Yeah, whole darn place had gone downhill since your last post in 2015.  :-\
Yeah, I honestly forgot about this place...then I told someone at work that they were “gayer than the day is long” and it jogged my memory..decided to make an appearance

Bench

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
Yeah, I honestly forgot about this place...then I told someone at work that they were “gayer than the day is long” and it jogged my memory..decided to make an appearance

Bench

LOL

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
I've seen some crazy shit, lots of interesting stories, one involving fighting happened on New Years Eve a few years ago, it was in our nightclub, the place was madness, very packed and just overall felt unsafe, too many people in one place, anyway, we have these little glass tables with chairs all around our dance floor, so people can sit and enjoy, I guess this younger guy early 20's bumped into the table while he was dancing and knocked over this couples bottles that were on the table, the drinks spilled all over this dude's wife's dress and this guy went off, young guy was a black dude, husband was hispanic probably late 30's they start talking shit, they scuffle, the husband grabs one of the broken bottles and tries stabbing the younger guy with it, called ship security, they ended up breaking up the fight, put the passenger in the Brig and shut down the NYE party. But I've seen numerous situations, anytime you have 3000 people in one place fueled by booze something is going to break out, not to mention security staff is minimal our ship has 7 security guards. However these guys are not mall cops, all are former law enforcement or military. But still severely understaffed in my opinion.

What is this "Brig"? Some kind of onboard jail? Speak on this brother...

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
Medical staff is small as well, I'm good friends with our doc, you wouldn't believe the things that guy goes through daily, heart attacks, strokes, most passengers are senior citizens or retirees, people die on board, suicides..all kinds of shit broski. I don't know any doctor that is in charge of the health of 4,000 people daily. Dudes on call 24-7.

Suicides? Jumping in the ocean?

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
Bump for.answers

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
The exercises I cant stand seeing being performed incorrectly are flat and incline bench presses where skinny idiots of all ages bring the bar only half way down and then have their skinny friend help with each rep.  I enjoy nothing more than seeing some dudes doing half reps with 200lbs on the bench while their friend upright rows half the weight because I will usually go up to them and say that they should be bringing it down full way. I then will demonstrate and talk to them while performing 15-20 reps which they find hard to believe as I'm in my mid 50's.
Then I tell them to have a go and they always completely bomb out on the first full rep and I have to lift it off them. Drop the weight to 120lbs and help them achieve 8 good reps. Lesson learned and ego burst hopefully.

They always thank me and call me sir and enjoy the positive role model image that I radiate.   :D

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2018, 06:10:13 AM »
The only thing that bothers me is throwing the dumbbells down, only bc they get bent and the gym is so slow to replace them

Otherwise, you can do your exercises in the most half-assed way you can think of .. won't affect me

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »
What is this "Brig"? Some kind of onboard jail? Speak on this brother...
Yes it's an on board jail cell in the security quarters where they hold a passenger until local authorities are able to be notified and arrest the passenger.

Suicides? Jumping in the ocean?
Can be, also people o.d. in cabins, it happens on ships, if you google it you can find stories on this.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
Saw a guy today making micro-rom tricep extentions, so I pulled him off the bench and explained him the importance of full extentions

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »
I stay quiet but ego lifting pisses me off. I know it doesn't effect me but seeing a guy strut around like a peacock after doing a short range of motion does aggravate me. This guy puts the seat all the way down in the seated press machine. Then he put the pin in the bottom stack while he does half reps.  The clueless compliment him on his "strength." If that seat was at the proper height to make the exercise as difficult as possible through a full rep he wouldn't be able to use half the stack.

You see this everywhere in the gym. Guys use half reps in the dumbbell shoulder press sliding their ass out so it's really an incline press. If they stayed upright  and truly brought the dumbbells all the way down instead of ego lifting, those 90lbs dumbbells would be  50lb dumbbells.

Bodybuilding is filled with guys trying to prove they are a man.  If you need proof of this look at the leg press. A million pounds and a very shallow bend of the knees. How about guys deadlifting off a raised power rack because they could never get that much off the floor? It's all over the place. Half chest and shoulder presses. Shallow squats and even pull ups/pull downs enter the picture. A pull up shouldn't count if you kip or don't go all the way down and almost touch the upper region of the chest having your elbows all the way down.

I don't give advice in the gym but if I ever break down and do I would say,  Do the exercise in a manner that puts the most amount of work on a muscle instead of doing it the easiest way. Simple physics dictates the more distance a weight is moved the more work is being accomplished.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
Funny story happened to me yesterday in the gym, I saw this guy doing chest (flat bench barbell) and before every set he was asking some one for a spot, so I'm training, headphones on, walking to the water fountain the guy asks me for a spot, so ok sure no problem, he's got 2 plates and some change on the bar, he tells me he needs a lift off, up and over on 3, ok no problem, 1,2,3...I try helping him on the lift off the bar isn't moving, so I literally begin to help the lift of with everything I got, bar isn't moving, he's looking up at me telling me to lift, I say I'm giving it everything I got man, he just shakes his head in dissapointment, without saying anything I put my headphones on and go right back to training. This is one instance I wanted to give some advice and say, if you can't even get the bar off the rack on your own, you probably shouldn't be lifting these type of poundages.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
Funny story happened to me yesterday in the gym, I saw this guy doing chest (flat bench barbell) and before every set he was asking some one for a spot, so I'm training, headphones on, walking to the water fountain the guy asks me for a spot, so ok sure no problem, he's got 2 plates and some change on the bar, he tells me he needs a lift off, up and over on 3, ok no problem, 1,2,3...I try helping him on the lift off the bar isn't moving, so I literally begin to help the lift of with everything I got, bar isn't moving, he's looking up at me telling me to lift, I say I'm giving it everything I got man, he just shakes his head in dissapointment, without saying anything I put my headphones on and go right back to training. This is one instance I wanted to give some advice and say, if you can't even get the bar off the rack on your own, you probably shouldn't be lifting these type of poundages.

Sounds like he finally met a good spotter, one that doesn't perform 50% of the lifting...

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »
Sounds like he finally met a good spotter, one that doesn't perform 50% of the lifting...
Not joking I was curling the bar with everything I had in me, veins popping out, I'm turning red, the bar wouldn't budge. The guy was asking for a spot for every single set he did, then rest for 5 minutes between sets. I never saw anything like it. I don't hate on anyone or make fun of people, but this guy either needs to lighten his weights or find a solid training partner. The fuck man..

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2018, 11:12:24 AM »
Not joking I was curling the bar with everything I had in me, veins popping out, I'm turning red, the bar wouldn't budge. The guy was asking for a spot for every single set he did, then rest for 5 minutes between sets. I never saw anything like it. I don't hate on anyone or make fun of people, but this guy either needs to lighten his weights or find a solid training partner. The fuck man..

Sound like a typical rookie. Most gyms are packed with individuals like these because there's close to zero education other than some 'Youtube wisdom'... If I had a gym, then I would organize training camps, just to provide guys a solid foundation.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »
Sound like a typical rookie. Most gyms are packed with individuals like these because there's close to zero education other than some 'Youtube wisdom'... If I had a gym, then I would organize training camps, just to provide guys a solid foundation.

Not slamming you, but I bet this would do little to no good. I constantly see "experts" doing things incorrectly, giving out bad instruction, etc. And it seems like  a lot of people generally don't have any perception of how they actually perform exercises. People claim they do deep squats and leg presses when they barely do a quarter of the movement. People think they train balls to the wall  when 90% of their workout is sitting and resting. Even when watching pros train in videos, they'll describe their chinups full range of motion and crisp and they'll be doing choppy half-reps, for example. And I'm sure I'm guilty of this in some aspects, too.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »

This is a great example of a tosser doing part reps on an overloaded leg press and then getting his rightful comeuppance.

He was very lucky the stoppers were where they were or it could have been even nastier.  :D

Don't know how to embed youtube but this is the link.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »
This is a great example of a tosser doing part reps on an overloaded leg press and then getting his rightful comeuppance.

He was very lucky the stoppers were where they were or it could have been even nastier.  :D

Don't know how to embed youtube but this is the link.

Holy fuck... I've never seen that one before. I don't wish gym accidents on anyone, but ego lifting  es no bueno.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »
Saw a guy today making micro-rom tricep extentions, so I pulled him off the bench and explained him the importance of full extentions

Bloke at my gym does 3 or 4 hundred micro dips in the change room before working out, what was more weird was his whole workout is the same, literally his range is 1-2 inches on every exercise
K

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »
I always try to lift heavy weights (heavy weights for me) in a good range of motion. I might fail in that goal in some circumstances but I think I do a good job. I was talking with top bodybuilder from the past now in his 80's about heavy weights. I won't mention his name but he is without a doubt one of the top 5 in bodybuilding history in my opinion. I don't want to speak for him but the drift I got from it was is that your there to train your muscles and not your ego especially as you age. For an example I use around 100lbs in the EZ curl bar to start every bicep workout. I'm thinking about taking it down to 70lbs so I can slow down the curl and have a better slower cadence. Might actually get better results making a light weight "heavy".

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
I always try to lift heavy weights (heavy weights for me) in a good range of motion. I might fail in that goal in some circumstances but I think I do a good job. I was talking with top bodybuilder from the past now in his 80's about heavy weights. I won't mention his name but he is without a doubt one of the top 5 in bodybuilding history in my opinion. I don't want to speak for him but the drift I got from it was is that your there to train your muscles and not your ego especially as you age. For an example I use around 100lbs in the EZ curl bar to start every bicep workout. I'm thinking about taking it down to 70lbs so I can slow down the curl and have a better slower cadence. Might actually get better results making a light weight "heavy".
You should train with Milos
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

be back

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:51 AM »
that would be Al Beckles, the only other guy still alive is Ed Corney and he is still trying to train with heavy weights...