Author Topic: Do you give unsolicited lifting advice?  (Read 5555 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Do you give unsolicited lifting advice?
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
Was in the gym tonight and these two younger bros, probably like early 20s, were doing a deadlift session. They were both in good shape and I think one is a competitive amateur bodybuilder. They were strong but their form was abysmal. Most people, even experienced lifters, can't do a proper deadlift.  As a lot of you know, I think the deadlift is a mostly worthless exercise, but a few years ago I read a really simple tip  on how to keep perfect form that I've shared with other people and they've appreciated it. I never spoke to these guys before- i actually never saw them before- and I was debating whether or not to give them some guidance but I decided not to. If they looked more like beginners, for that particular exercise I definitely would have. However, I decided not to because I think they would've felt like I was trying to gym neg them.

In the past, when people have given me unsolicited advice I have had to still myself from saying "Why don't you focus on your own fucking workout?" Once while I was doing lying chest flys a guy came up to me between sets and told me that I shouldn't bang the weights together because little particles are released and even if I don't see it now, years down the road it could cause serious damage to my eyesight. He was perfectly nice and sincere about it, but I just kept thinking that was the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Are y'all helpful in the gym or do you keep your advices to yourselves?

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Do you give unsolicited lifting advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
im not helpful unless someone asks me for advice or if someone is obviously doing something wrong or need help, say an older guy that doesnt know how to set up a machine right for his body type or whatever.

i once rescued a guy that was stuck under the bar doing bench presses, he thanked me for that  :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »
Never unsolicited advice.. the odds of it being received in the manner I would hope is almost zero.  

the down side is I have to try and ignore the atrocious form until I move to another area

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Nope, unless they're about to do something dangerous like using equipment really wrong, etc.... I leave people alone.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »
Never unsolicited advice.

If they were two 20ish year old girls would you had offered advice? or would you have been afraid that they wanted to go home with you ?
K

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:59:12 PM »
A few times. Couple of young kids and an older fella.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
What is the tip?

And no I don't give advice unless asked directly,  I did one time to kids squating and scared the crap out of them. As I walked away I heard one say did we tick off the steroid guy, lol.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Never give any lifting advice in the gym.  I notice hot women are constantly bombarded by guys giving lifting advice. I see more women that have better form than most men.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 06:36:47 PM »
Never give any lifting advice in the gym.  I notice hot women are constantly bombarded by guys giving lifting advice. I see more women that have better form than most men.

I agree. I never give advice. I figure they will learn just like I did and after decades I'm probably not doing everything right, But I will help anyone who asks. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
I agree. I never give advice. I figure they will learn just like I did and after decades I'm probably not doing everything right, But I will help anyone who asks. 

This is how I feel most of the time, too. The difference here  is they were curving their spines until they got the weight off the ground then they would straighten out their backs for the rest of the lift. My back was creaking just watching it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
What is the tip?

Don't let your back bend past 45 degrees. Once you get to 45 degrees, then your legs should be doing all the bending.

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
I do give lifting advice to the youngsters, and 99 percent of the time they eat it up. as if they have no clue on what they are doing and how to do it correctly. one time this 20 year old kid was curling the pre set curling bar, maybe a 80, and after each set he would drop the bar from about his waist or even higher to the floor. the bar would just slam to the floor making a huge noise. I went up to him and told him not to do that, as it doesn't look cool, and why the fuck would anyone drop the weight like that. I said put it down like you know what your doing, (or something like that I said)

fucking punk never said a word back to me.  so now I'm behind him on the bench, and the prick picks up the bar, does his 8 reps, and looking right at me, the prick drops the fucking bar on the floor.   that one backfired on me big time ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
I do give lifting advice to the youngsters, and 99 percent of the time they eat it up. as if they have no clue on what they are doing and how to do it correctly. one time this 20 year old kid was curling the pre set curling bar, maybe a 80, and after each set he would drop the bar from about his waist or even higher to the floor. the bar would just slam to the floor making a huge noise. I went up to him and told him not to do that, as it doesn't look cool, and why the fuck would anyone drop the weight like that. I said put it down like you know what your doing, (or something like that I said)

fucking punk never said a word back to me.  so now I'm behind him on the bench, and the prick picks up the bar, does his 8 reps, and looking right at me, the prick drops the fucking bar on the floor.   that one backfired on me big time ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

cool story bro

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
Nope,fuck everyone.All I need is someone to cop an attitude after I try and help them and I end up brawling.most people can’t take constructive criticism in any area.So not worth the bullshit.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
Don't let your back bend past 45 degrees. Once you get to 45 degrees, then your legs should be doing all the bending.

Good advice.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 08:06:15 PM »
I advise suicide.. quite a little bit

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »
My one piece of advice is to sleep on the floor, the key to next level gains, absolute game changer.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
My one piece of advice is to sleep on the floor, the key to next level gains, absolute game changer.
saw a story on a large Italian family on a cruise kicked off after creating havoc. Fighting and just overall thugary.  The ship security was not that effective in addressing the issue. Ever experience that on one of your trips?

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 08:35:14 PM »
Nope,fuck everyone.All I need is someone to cop an attitude after I try and help them and I end up brawling.most people can’t take constructive criticism in any area.So not worth the bullshit.
x2.  I don't interact with anyone at the gym unless I happen to see a buddy.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
saw a story on a large Italian family on a cruise kicked off after creating havoc. Fighting and just overall thugary.  The ship security was not that effective in addressing the issue. Ever experience that on one of your trips?
I've seen some crazy shit, lots of interesting stories, one involving fighting happened on New Years Eve a few years ago, it was in our nightclub, the place was madness, very packed and just overall felt unsafe, too many people in one place, anyway, we have these little glass tables with chairs all around our dance floor, so people can sit and enjoy, I guess this younger guy early 20's bumped into the table while he was dancing and knocked over this couples bottles that were on the table, the drinks spilled all over this dude's wife's dress and this guy went off, young guy was a black dude, husband was hispanic probably late 30's they start talking shit, they scuffle, the husband grabs one of the broken bottles and tries stabbing the younger guy with it, called ship security, they ended up breaking up the fight, put the passenger in the Brig and shut down the NYE party. But I've seen numerous situations, anytime you have 3000 people in one place fueled by booze something is going to break out, not to mention security staff is minimal our ship has 7 security guards. However these guys are not mall cops, all are former law enforcement or military. But still severely understaffed in my opinion.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
I've seen some crazy shit, lots of interesting stories, one involving fighting happened on New Years Eve a few years ago, it was in our nightclub, the place was madness, very packed and just overall felt unsafe, too many people in one place, anyway, we have these little glass tables with chairs all around our dance floor, so people can sit and enjoy, I guess this younger guy early 20's bumped into the table while he was dancing and knocked over this couples bottles that were on the table, the drinks spilled all over this dude's wife's dress and this guy went off, young guy was a black dude, husband was hispanic probably late 30's they start talking shit, they scuffle, the husband grabs one of the broken bottles and tries stabbing the younger guy with it, called ship security, they ended up breaking up the fight, put the passenger in the Brig and shut down the NYE party. But I've seen numerous situations, anytime you have 3000 people in one place fueled by booze something is going to break out, not to mention security staff is minimal our ship have 7 security guards. However these guys are not mall cops, all are former law enforcement or military. But still severely understaffed in my opinion.

Just from what I've seen lately it seems the security staff and medical staff are for show. Not really set up for anything more than the run of the mill things. Sucks that a family of 24 could impact a cruise experience for everyone else so blatantly

be back

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »
If I see someone doing something thats going to hurt them I stop them and send them to the person on the desk.

There was a sports teacher in once with around 12 pupils, they were doing everything wrong, I told him he was supposed to be supervising them, he said he was just there to observe and not correct them as it was an exam.

I explained that if they hurt themselves he would be liable as he was there to supervise, he again said he wasnt, I then explained if he didnt correct them I would throw them all out as the gym owner wouldn't want a claim coming in from the parents of a child who ended up injured, he seemed to assume responsibility at that point.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
Just from what I've seen lately it seems the security staff and medical staff are for show. Not really set up for anything more than the run of the mill things. Sucks that a family of 24 could impact a cruise experience for everyone else so blatantly
Medical staff is small as well, I'm good friends with our doc, you wouldn't believe the things that guy goes through daily, heart attacks, strokes, most passengers are senior citizens or retirees, people die on board, suicides..all kinds of shit broski. I don't know any doctor that is in charge of the health of 4,000 people daily. Dudes on call 24-7.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:32 PM »
Medical staff is small as well, I'm good friends with our doc, you wouldn't believe the things that guy goes through daily, heart attacks, strokes, most passengers are senior citizens or retirees, people die on board, suicides..all kinds of shit broski. I don't know any doctor that is in charge of the health of 4,000 people daily. Dudes on call 24-7.

If a sail goes smoothly no problem. I was reading where a guy was paddle boarding on an excursion and fell into the serf and landed on coral. His feet were cut open. They got back to the ship and the ship doctor sowed him up with coral still inside. I'm sure this isn't the norm but jesus... I cruise a lot and will be cruising in March. I don't think I will be relying on the on ship doctor if I can avoid it

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »
If a sail goes smoothly no problem. I was reading where a guy was paddle boarding on an excursion and fell into the serf and landed on coral. His feet were cut open. They got back to the ship and the ship doctor sowed him up with coral still inside. I'm sure this isn't the norm but jesus... I cruise a lot and will be cruising in March. I don't think I will be relying on the on ship doctor if I can avoid it
If it's serious the doc will send you to hospital shore side, and if serious emergency, they will call a helicopter to fly passenger to the hospital, I've witness this as well. Tons of shit can go down on excursions, especially the adventerous ones like snorkeling, hiking, etc. Some crew have even injured and even died on breaks going cliff diving in Hawaii, dangerous stuff dude.