Author Topic: who would you rather take a punch from  (Read 5302 times)

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
who would you rather take a punch from
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »
tyson in his prime

or fedor now

who would win in a boxing match? street fight?
its comin today

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
Re: who would you rather take a punch from
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »
Boxing match, Tyson.  Streetfight, no contest, Fedor.  Tyson wanted no part of Mitch Green in the streets, and Fedor would destroy them both.  One nice seo nage into a fire hydrant and it is all over. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
Boxing match, Tyson.  Streetfight, no contest, Fedor.  Tyson wanted no part of Mitch Green in the streets, and Fedor would destroy them both.  One nice seo nage into a fire hydrant and it is all over. 

I thought he beat the shit to of Green outside the bar.  And Tyson hits harder than Fedor.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
I thought he beat the shit to of Green outside the bar.

He did. And Mitch Green sued him and won like 50 grand or something.
E

dootle

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »
mike tyson is an animal!..being a former world champ boxer, i'm sure tyson has a harder punch..in a fight, fedor obviously has more skills to finish the job and would win(unless mike ko's or bites him)..

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
You know that second pic is Igor Vovchanchyn and not Fedor right?
Predictions
 40/61

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:30:39 PM »
You know that second pic is Igor Vovchanchyn and not Fedor right?

i did not.  i tried to find a punching shot of fedor and this came up, and it looked like him from the back.  do you have one?  the tyson ones were pretty easy to get
its comin today

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 07:46:37 PM »
A regular punch? Fedor by a mile. Tyson would probably take my head off.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »
He did. And Mitch Green sued him and won like 50 grand or something.

I saw Mitch Green on Best Damn Sports Show Period about a month ago, and they showed footage of when Tyson kicked him in the chest, Green took the shot, and wanted more, Tyson turned and ran away.  Mitch said on national TV, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.  (Of course Salley and Dibs were egging him on) 

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »

Tyson still hits harder than Fedor though.
Predictions
 40/61

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
^^^Love the cyborg Fedor. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »

Tyson still hits harder than Fedor though.

That gif is definetely my new avatar. Great stuff.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »

What are you talkin about?  As far as I remember green approached tyson outside a after hours club in the bronx and Mike busted his jaw with 1 shot.  The paper had pix of it the next day...and Mitch is a many time golden glove fighter and went the distance with Tyson as well.

While Fedor is absolutely incredible, you simply CAN NOT compare a legit heavy weight champs punch to MMA guys.  Boxers are punching experts.  If Mike or Klitchko, or Lewis or any killer punching heavyweight boxer EVER hit someone with 4ox gloves on they would probably go into a coma....That is the truth.

I know mma fighters known for their hands and I can say that in a boxing match they wouldn't win the golden gloves amatuer tournament. Not a knock on mma guys and the ones I know, just facts.

In mma a different story all together. 

Did anyone see the Klitchko fight the other day?  If he had on 4oz gloves with those shots that guy (who I give credit to) would have probably died, god bless him, I hope he's ok.

Just to see what I'm talking about, go to sports authority and put on 10-12 oz gloves and hit the bags....feel how clumsy you feel, how slow and lumbering...then put on the 4oz mma gloves (which are just basically mittens) and throw some punches...you will feel much more in control, your arms won't feel heavy.....when you see a guy like mayweather, juda throw combinations think about that...if they were 6 oz less..more than half the weight and bulk taken off think about how fast those hands would move....you would not be able to see them. 

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:16:08 PM »
hmmm.  ive watched a lot more boxing than i have mma, but what impressed me about watching fedors fights on youtube was the power and speed he generated.  i saw a clip of him at a training seminar and his partner had him in a guard type...fuck it, i just found it on youtube.

maybe its just the angle but that looks like a damn powerful punch
its comin today

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »
What are you talkin about?  As far as I remember green approached tyson outside a after hours club in the bronx and Mike busted his jaw with 1 shot.  The paper had pix of it the next day...and Mitch is a many time golden glove fighter and went the distance with Tyson as well.

While Fedor is absolutely incredible, you simply CAN NOT compare a legit heavy weight champs punch to MMA guys.  Boxers are punching experts.  If Mike or Klitchko, or Lewis or any killer punching heavyweight boxer EVER hit someone with 4ox gloves on they would probably go into a coma....That is the truth.

I know mma fighters known for their hands and I can say that in a boxing match they wouldn't win the golden gloves amatuer tournament. Not a knock on mma guys and the ones I know, just facts.

In mma a different story all together. 

Did anyone see the Klitchko fight the other day?  If he had on 4oz gloves with those shots that guy (who I give credit to) would have probably died, god bless him, I hope he's ok.

Just to see what I'm talking about, go to sports authority and put on 10-12 oz gloves and hit the bags....feel how clumsy you feel, how slow and lumbering...then put on the 4oz mma gloves (which are just basically mittens) and throw some punches...you will feel much more in control, your arms won't feel heavy.....when you see a guy like mayweather, juda throw combinations think about that...if they were 6 oz less..more than half the weight and bulk taken off think about how fast those hands would move....you would not be able to see them. 

Except that in the street, the clinch occurs with some frequency and if you are in the clinch with a skilled wrestler/judoka, you will get airborne and end up on your head, or on your back.  Once you are on your back, even if you butt scoot, you will eat kicks, stomps and may even have your head punted into next week.  How often during a boxing match do boxers end up in the clinch?  A good greco guy clinches, hits you with an upward elbow, repummels, and knees your balls out of existence, then he throws you onto the hard concrete where you get your head stomped in.  Much rather get a quick flash KO, than get killed by a throw.  No way I let someone who looks to have boxing experience get space on me.  Before the fight starts, I am in their face to initiate the clinch, and get the takedown.  Unlike MMA in the street, a takedown means end of the fight.  I worked out at a boxing gym long enough to know that I don't want to box.  Not to mention Polynesian males have extremely thick skulls that have a tendency of breaking my hands (happened twice). 

Everyone knows you can't compare a heavyweights punch to an MMA punch, but why hasn't Mike Tyson fought in K1 (where they are offering him seven figures a fight) or accepted Rorion Gracies challenge back in 1990 (offered him 1000000 for a no holds barred fight, no rules) Because he knows that in a non boxing match, he would be on his back getting the snot kicked out of him, stomped out of him, etc.....I know everyone says that with six months of sprawl training he would be unbeatable, but puhlease. 

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 04:40:57 AM »
hmmm.  ive watched a lot more boxing than i have mma, but what impressed me about watching fedors fights on youtube was the power and speed he generated.  i saw a clip of him at a training seminar and his partner had him in a guard type...fuck it, i just found it on youtube.

maybe its just the angle but that looks like a damn powerful punch

thats whats more impressive in him, his explosion and his speed who generates so much power....I know that clip, you see one thing i started to analize on him is this:

He punches with the spin of his body AND shoulders a lot! i mean, it is obvios but you see on slow motion, his hand its the last thing to start do move!!!! in that clip you see he is almost completely to the side and on the ground when his hand hits the guy
 other thing is that he usually doesnt shot straight, almost all of his most powerfull punches are like hooks (sorry i dont remember the exactly name in english), in this sense, very much like Tyson, and very different of a guy like Belfort (where is straight punches are more powerfull)
 one bad aspect is that he opens his guard a lot! in fact he doenst have a 'by the book' guard...but its very effective to him (wich is strange because when you see him trainning, he does a very classic guard, but he doesnt use it on fight)
!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 04:47:21 AM »
I saw Mitch Green on Best Damn Sports Show Period about a month ago, and they showed footage of when Tyson kicked him in the chest, Green took the shot, and wanted more, Tyson turned and ran away.  Mitch said on national TV, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.  (Of course Salley and Dibs were egging him on) 

Tyson broke his hand on Mitchs' face and has to postpone his match with Frank Bruno, Green sued Tyson cuz he got his ass beat. Maybe now thats it's going on 20 years later Mitch is lying about the incident.
E

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »
[quote author=americanbulldog

Everyone knows you can't compare a heavyweights punch to an MMA punch, but why hasn't Mike Tyson fought in K1 (where they are offering him seven figures a fight) or accepted Rorion Gracies challenge back in 1990 (offered him 1000000 for a no holds barred fight, no rules) Because he knows that in a non boxing match, he would be on his back getting the snot kicked out of him, stomped out of him, etc.....I know everyone says that with six months of sprawl training he would be unbeatable, but puhlease. 
[/quote]

Simple, because Mike doesn't even train anymore....what you see today is basically what even Mike would call, "going through the motions" and not training up to his standards....so why further ruin your history?  Also, if true in 90 with gracie, he is not and was not a jui jitsu guy or mma.  Seriously, why in the world would any fighter getting pay days of 20 million want to fight some relatively unknown mma guy IN THEIR SPORT for basically no money?

I ask you, why (if mma guys were so good with their fist, wouldn't they simply take a year from mma and box and get to a position like delahoya (getting 30 million for his next fight) instead of the couple thousand or at best couple hundred thousand (top guys)?  Simple, they know their game and realize that even the best mma guy with their fist CAN NOT WIN the ny state golden gloves amatuer tournament today....

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »
yes indeed, why risk breaking your elbow in an arm bar for a measely million bucks when you were getting the kind of pay mike was used to getting.  a million is a lot to us but its like asking pitcher barry zito to do the same thing, not smart when its not the same sport and you make 20x that doing what you're good at
its comin today

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 03:58:39 PM »
[quote author=americanbulldog

Simple, because Mike doesn't even train anymore....what you see today is basically what even Mike would call, "going through the motions" and not training up to his standards....so why further ruin your history?  Also, if true in 90 with gracie, he is not and was not a jui jitsu guy or mma.  Seriously, why in the world would any fighter getting pay days of 20 million want to fight some relatively unknown mma guy IN THEIR SPORT for basically no money?

I ask you, why (if mma guys were so good with their fist, wouldn't they simply take a year from mma and box and get to a position like delahoya (getting 30 million for his next fight) instead of the couple thousand or at best couple hundred thousand (top guys)?  Simple, they know their game and realize that even the best mma guy with their fist CAN NOT WIN the ny state golden gloves amatuer tournament today....

As pay per view and gate receipts keep getting larger, you will see smaller purses for boxing, and larger ones for MMA.  And how many guys other than the Golden Boy can generate that type of pay.  Without the PPV buys of the early 90's, no promotion will be able to pay a fighter like Dela Hoya for long.  The UFC is already selling more PPVs than boxing.  Why do you think Showtime started their own promotion?  Why was HBO in negotiations with Zuffa for broadcast rights to the UFC.  Why is K1 bringing their "Heros" show to the US?  I'll tell you why, the American public has embraced MMA, and it is drawing the 18-34 demographics that typically watched boxing. Case in point, who do you think the general public knows more bout?  Tito Ortiz, or Samuel Peter?  Peter is a great heavyweight prospect that no one in the streets knows anything about.  He gave Wlad a helluva a fight, and made Toney's skills look mediocre.  I love boxing as much as the next guy, but there isn't a personality with the capablity to capture the publics attention.  (Tyson did). 

As good as Wlad is (and he is good, very impressive in his last fight), he won't endear casual observers and draw people to watch.  But I digress.  Boxers are best at punching, slipping, defense without kicking, bar none, but for street fighting, a well rounded fighter who can take the boxer (a one trick pony) out of his element and force him to deal with another range will be at a distinct advantage.  Fedor has shown he can take an exceptional amount of damage, has a very underated guard game, can sub people from different positions, has INCREDIBLE balance, and has refined GNP to another level.  Tyson, or any boxer for that matter would only have a chance if they got off a couple of combos and finish the fight before it gets to the clinch.  Once it does, GAME OVER. 

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
Yes, of course Fedor is incredible and can handle most anyone within the rules of mma.  I never would compare a boxer to a mma guy because they are simply two completely different disciplines.

There ar emany boxers that generate million dollar fight purses....Not too many athletes (in all sports) will ever generate 20-30 million dollar pay day the way holyfield, delahoya and some other boxers have.

I don't EVER think any guy in mma will even get ten million for a fight...ever.

Spike tv's ultimate fighter hasn't even been beaten TNA wrestling in Spikes ratings...

Boxing is a mainstay in this world...It will go through peaks and valleys like anything else, but no "fight" game will ever generate as much single fight purse for a fighter that boxing does.

I personally see the casual fans of mma (the ones that made it popular, the ones that are buying ppv) getting bored with mma....They are already (while mma in america is in it's infancy) chanting BORING at all big events.  The casual fans, the ones that buy ppv, are going to slow the progression of mma as a mainstream sport. 

I sincerly hope that mma organizations don't back down to these "casual, ppv buying fans" by changing the rules to limit ground work and control, the truest foundation to the history of mma.

I am a big mma fan....respect the athletes competing 100%.

However, I am a bigger boxing fan...My brother boxes and I know the work involved to develop this amazing skill. 

In boxing you can not begi to train and a couple years later be a well known name in mma....in mma you can.  Talk to amatuer boxers, with their noses on the other side of their face and they will tell you they habve been fighting, training since the BLUE glove tournaments at age 13 and younger....It truely is an underappreciated art and skill.

You mentioned that you boxed so I imagine you already know this.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
Yes, of course Fedor is incredible and can handle most anyone within the rules of mma.  I never would compare a boxer to a mma guy because they are simply two completely different disciplines.

There ar emany boxers that generate million dollar fight purses....Not too many athletes (in all sports) will ever generate 20-30 million dollar pay day the way holyfield, delahoya and some other boxers have.

I don't EVER think any guy in mma will even get ten million for a fight...ever.

Spike tv's ultimate fighter hasn't even been beaten TNA wrestling in Spikes ratings...

Boxing is a mainstay in this world...It will go through peaks and valleys like anything else, but no "fight" game will ever generate as much single fight purse for a fighter that boxing does.

I personally see the casual fans of mma (the ones that made it popular, the ones that are buying ppv) getting bored with mma....They are already (while mma in america is in it's infancy) chanting BORING at all big events.  The casual fans, the ones that buy ppv, are going to slow the progression of mma as a mainstream sport. 

I sincerly hope that mma organizations don't back down to these "casual, ppv buying fans" by changing the rules to limit ground work and control, the truest foundation to the history of mma.

I am a big mma fan....respect the athletes competing 100%.

However, I am a bigger boxing fan...My brother boxes and I know the work involved to develop this amazing skill. 

In boxing you can not begi to train and a couple years later be a well known name in mma....in mma you can.  Talk to amatuer boxers, with their noses on the other side of their face and they will tell you they habve been fighting, training since the BLUE glove tournaments at age 13 and younger....It truely is an underappreciated art and skill.

You mentioned that you boxed so I imagine you already know this.

In the early days of NHB, it was possible for someone with two years experience to do quite well.  Today's game takes a whole lot more.  Like boxing, BJJ, the art I love and continue to train takes time, discipline and lots of sparring to get good.  BJJ in and of itself is no longer all that is necessary.  The ability to navigate striking range means you must train kickboxing, the ability to successfully defend the clinch means you must train Greco and Muay Thai.  To defend the takedown, you must learn the arsenal of a freestyle wrestler, so you must train wrestling and judo.  That being said, the top tier MMA guys have to put just as much time in their craft like a top flight boxer.  I love watching Pretty Boy Mayweather.  He is INCREDIBLY skilled and a heck of an athlete.  Dennis Kang, GSP, Shogun Rua, Fedor are all examples of modern day fighters who are INCREDIBLY skilled and are a master of one discipline, and good at all.  Not to mention they train harder than any other athlete because you must be good at all ranges of fighting. 

With PPV revenue sharing that Zuffa offers, fighters are already getting seven figures a fight.  It is only a matter of time for that to increase.  I agree with you that the new TUF NOOBS don't understand the game, but they are paying their money, they can express their opinion.  Half the reason I come here is because there is a new generation of fan who is genuinely interested in learning the game.  I love watching a good sub grappling match, it is very tactical and I find it exciting.  I have been on the receiving end of a Sato kneebar, Sakurai kimura, Aoki triangle, Relson, Royce, Royler everything.  I love that aspect of fighting.  When I was boxing, I found that the younger more athletic guys would beat the snot out of an older aging man.  I was constantly wanting to tie up and clinch, or shoot a double/single.  But I was there to learn the craft, so I did just boxing.  Suffice to say, I learned that there is a lot more to the sweet science than what we may think.  Platitudes aside, an MMA fighter has a more complete game, and would be equipped to handle more than just a stand up fight.  Again, my perspective is ground fighting, and submission, but I respect all ranges and all disciplines. 

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 12:47:03 AM »
That's a very impressive personal history, no doubt...Congrats and stay healthy to keep training hard!

Do you know Mauricio in Boca Raton Florida?  He's also trained with Gracie. 

Your right, everyone has the right to voice their opinion, I just hope for the sake of the true art of MMA they don't change the rules and limit the ground game to appease the fans. 

Even though pro wrestling is entertainment a good analogy or coorilation can be made between the two.  With the video game explosion, the internet, the no patient," I want it now" mentality the wrestling fans began chanting "borring" at the shows.  While other organizations started putting light weight wrestlers that do move after move with no selling or sensability to the match, Vince McMahon (WWE) made it a point to continue to tell stories and to limit the "high flying/no sense" approach to pro wrestling.  Obviously it worked.  Other brands fell apart and TNA struggles, but is improving.  Obviously wrestling isn't fighting, but my point is that MMA should NOT give in to the fans at the sake of the true art, I don't believe.

I have all the respect in the world for people in the toughest sports in the world; Boxing and MMA!

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »
That's a very impressive personal history, no doubt...Congrats and stay healthy to keep training hard!

Do you know Mauricio in Boca Raton Florida?  He's also trained with Gracie. 

Your right, everyone has the right to voice their opinion, I just hope for the sake of the true art of MMA they don't change the rules and limit the ground game to appease the fans. 

Even though pro wrestling is entertainment a good analogy or coorilation can be made between the two.  With the video game explosion, the internet, the no patient," I want it now" mentality the wrestling fans began chanting "borring" at the shows.  While other organizations started putting light weight wrestlers that do move after move with no selling or sensability to the match, Vince McMahon (WWE) made it a point to continue to tell stories and to limit the "high flying/no sense" approach to pro wrestling.  Obviously it worked.  Other brands fell apart and TNA struggles, but is improving.  Obviously wrestling isn't fighting, but my point is that MMA should NOT give in to the fans at the sake of the true art, I don't believe.

I have all the respect in the world for people in the toughest sports in the world; Boxing and MMA!

Which one?  (Gracie).  I am currently at a Relson Gracie affiliate.  He comes in once a month.  I have trained at once was first a Machado affiliate, then became a Nova Uniao affiliate.  My original instructor was Romolo Barros who was a Brown for Relson back in the day, he has since moved on to a Rickson affiliate.  The browns and purples are the guys I stayed loyal to, so when they opened their own schools, I followed them.  Boxing is definitely tough.  I can't take the beatings and go to work with a black eye, or potential broken nose.  I'll stick to grappling. 

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 02:53:53 AM »
I would rather FIGHT Fedor than let Tyson give me a smack in the mouth, atleast i could tap when he charges at me  ;D

In all seriousness, there is no way in hell i would ever want Tyson - even now - to swing at me, id be the one with the lisp and half a gum of teeth. His punching was scary hard and accurate, he had tunnel vision. As for the Mitch Green thing, i also heard that he was smashed outside a bar by Mike. If i remember correctly it was even re-enacted in one of the low-budget Tyson movies
Scouser on Tour