Author Topic: Another Florida city seeks warning signs outside homes of sexual predators  (Read 764 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
What do you think about this?

Another Florida city seeks warning signs outside homes of sexual predators

Port Orange's Vice Mayor is hoping his city will be the next to erect reflective red signs outside the homes of sexual predators as a warning to anyone who passes by. Such a decision would follow the signs' use in Bradford County — a decision enacted last year — and the Gulf Coast city of Perry.

BY NINA GOLGOWSKI    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A sign listing a convicted sexual predator's name is seen ready to be placed outside a home in Bradford, Fla., a county that decided last year to erect the reflective red signs as a warning.

Another Florida city is hoping to send a message to sexual predators: You're not welcome.

Port Orange's Vice Mayor is hoping his city will be the next to erect reflective red signs outside the homes of sexual predators as a warning to anyone who passes by.

"I don't care if it costs $1 or $100,000 to put up a sign, there are just some things you just can't put a price on," Vice Mayor Don Burnette told WFTV.
Burnette is hoping to meet with city leaders on Tuesday night to consider making the signs a law.

Such a decision would follow the signs' use in Bradford County — a decision enacted last year — and the Gulf Coast city of Perry.

It would also come after Port Orange voted to increase the distance sex offenders can live from schools and churches from 1,000 feet to 2,000 feet.

Port Orange's Vice Mayor is hoping he can persuade city lawmakers to also erect the signs outside their city's four registered offenders. The Gulf Coast city of Perry also uses them.

"I understand people need to have a place to live. That doesn't mean I have to make them feel welcome here," Burnette told WESH. "These are the most dangerous of all offenders and we have four registered in Port Orange."

Though four offenders, or frankly any number of offenders, may be seen as too many for the city of roughly 56,000 residents, its county of Volusia ranks number 12 of Florida's top counties with the most sexual predators with 73 total, according to WESH.

In first place, Duval County is reported to have 233 sexual predators. Orange County has 232, Hillsborough 205, Miami-Dade, 205 and Pinellas 132.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fla-city-seeks-warning-signs-homes-sexual-predators-article-1.1594381#ixzz33W77cfsI

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
What do you think about this?

Another Florida city seeks warning signs outside homes of sexual predators

Port Orange's Vice Mayor is hoping his city will be the next to erect reflective red signs outside the homes of sexual predators as a warning to anyone who passes by. Such a decision would follow the signs' use in Bradford County — a decision enacted last year — and the Gulf Coast city of Perry.

BY NINA GOLGOWSKI    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A sign listing a convicted sexual predator's name is seen ready to be placed outside a home in Bradford, Fla., a county that decided last year to erect the reflective red signs as a warning.

Another Florida city is hoping to send a message to sexual predators: You're not welcome.

Port Orange's Vice Mayor is hoping his city will be the next to erect reflective red signs outside the homes of sexual predators as a warning to anyone who passes by.

"I don't care if it costs $1 or $100,000 to put up a sign, there are just some things you just can't put a price on," Vice Mayor Don Burnette told WFTV.
Burnette is hoping to meet with city leaders on Tuesday night to consider making the signs a law.

Such a decision would follow the signs' use in Bradford County — a decision enacted last year — and the Gulf Coast city of Perry.

It would also come after Port Orange voted to increase the distance sex offenders can live from schools and churches from 1,000 feet to 2,000 feet.

Port Orange's Vice Mayor is hoping he can persuade city lawmakers to also erect the signs outside their city's four registered offenders. The Gulf Coast city of Perry also uses them.

"I understand people need to have a place to live. That doesn't mean I have to make them feel welcome here," Burnette told WESH. "These are the most dangerous of all offenders and we have four registered in Port Orange."

Though four offenders, or frankly any number of offenders, may be seen as too many for the city of roughly 56,000 residents, its county of Volusia ranks number 12 of Florida's top counties with the most sexual predators with 73 total, according to WESH.

In first place, Duval County is reported to have 233 sexual predators. Orange County has 232, Hillsborough 205, Miami-Dade, 205 and Pinellas 132.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fla-city-seeks-warning-signs-homes-sexual-predators-article-1.1594381#ixzz33W77cfsI

As much as I despise them....its just wrong as its pretty clear that it will incite violence.  Not only that, sexual offenders do vary from the 16 year old who sleeps with a 14 year old to a child molester.  Don't make a distinction.

Incarcerate them if you must but don't make a law for the intent of "target practice"
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Why not signs in front of homes of people convicted of drunk driving
They are likely a much greater threat to the community.

Seriously though, this is a bad idea.  I assume these people are already being monitored and they are probably listed on the internet somewhere as well but putting on sign on their lawn serves no purposes except to make them a target

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I'd love to know if the person living next door stole ten cars in his life.  I'd be more likely to watch mine.
I'd love to know if the person living next door had 5 robbery charges - I'd know who to look at if my house was robbed.

I'd love to know if the neighbor had a criminal history in a lot of things.  I'm 100% for making ALL felons place signs like this on their property.  If you dont like it - stop breaking the law, a-hole.  It'd sure stop a lot of crimes, since people would be on the lookout for those with certain tendencies.  And if leads to "harassment", the victim can videotape it and soon, the harasser will have his own sign on the lawn. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Is there really a big distinction between these signs and the sex offender registries that post pictures, addresses, and the crimes they were convicted of on the internet?  Much bigger audience. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Is there really a big distinction between these signs and the sex offender registries that post pictures, addresses, and the crimes they were convicted of on the internet?  Much bigger audience. 

then what extra purpose does to sign serve?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Is there really a big distinction between these signs and the sex offender registries that post pictures, addresses, and the crimes they were convicted of on the internet?  Much bigger audience.  

but if 100,000 people (or more) live in that city, being on a list... Only a small % of the people on that block are going to look him up and make that connection.  An actual sign, out front of the house, and EVERYONE on that block knows about it.    It'd have much more impact on actually keeping people safe from the sicko.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
but if 100,000 people (or more) live in that city, being on a list... Only a small % of the people on that block are going to look him up and make that connection.  An actual sign, out front of the house, and EVERYONE on that block knows about it.    It'd have much more impact on actually keeping people safe from the sicko.

It arguably has a greater impact in the immediate neighborhood, but not nearly the same exposure as the internet.