Author Topic: Vince's Gym - dismantled and sold piece by piece - someone lied  (Read 20280 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: vince's gym dismantled and sold.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »
I wonder what happened to the original equipment from Gold's Gym.
i own the set of Dumbbells  from the second location. It's displayed at the Brickyard.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 07:12:05 AM »
yeah funk I wish you would let me know I would've bought a piece is it all gone?
david gironda who wasn't in to lifting sold originally i guess and the collector who kept it together for 20 years sold it under the same stipulation , than this guy broke up the collection.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »
Nothing wrong with it and at least yours are in a gym.  Just not something most people are going to spend money on.

Even after all these years of busting Funk's chops I still can't decide if he's a vendor trying to drum up business or a total hoarder.
                 both unfortunately for every piece i sell , i always keep a lot for my own collection..
F

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
                 both unfortunately for every piece i sell , i always keep a lot for my own collection..

Bit of an addiction but like Vince Gironda used to say "If you've got a monkey on your back then schmoe squat him."

Been known to do some hoarding of my own too.  Tools.  Ok, you're right.  If it feels good then do it.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
It would be cool to buy the complete set and do an exact replication of the room with life size cardboard cut outs of a young Arnold, Draper, Vince and the rest of the golden age guys kinda dispersed around the room for nostalgia and motivation.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 07:37:12 AM »
We're back to spooky now.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
Vince discussing it -

"Here is the first image online of the biceps-supinator. This was invented by myself and built totally by myself in my engineering factory. I tried to sell the design to Nautilus and Cybex but they were not interested. So this machine has cost me over $100,000 to patent and build. Surely it is the most expensive machine ever installed in a gym.

This machine was conceived in 1986, and first conception on paper was in 1991. I obtained patents from the USA, Canada, Great Britain, Germany and Australia. You have to apply to each country. Then you have to pay thousands of dollars per year to maintain those patents.

I wouldn't patent anything in the future! I built the first version in 2001 and then modified it several times since. The last major surgery occurred last year. I am quite pleased with this machine. There are many adjustments and it really is a complex machine with lots of angles needed. It works, though! Lots of stainless steel on the prototype. I will paint it

Kinda funny because building muscle drug free is all about genetics....The equipment is incidental....

Even Arthur Jones was unable to build this machine. It is undoubtedly the most complicated bodybuilding machine with weight stacks that has ever been installed in a gym. When used properly it can result in an absolutely brutal biceps workouts. You can twist the arms and get a resistance. Each arm can be trained separately, too. The curl plates are 20 pounds and the supination plates are 5 1/2 pounds."

Taken from - http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=108635224262976E945AE33660BD04BF.hydra?id=441355 .

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 07:42:44 AM »
It would be cool to buy the complete set and do an exact replication of the room with life size cardboard cut outs of a young Arnold, Draper, Vince and the rest of the golden age guys kinda dispersed around the room for nostalgia and motivation.
not spooky if in a gym setting u just have me an aweome idea haha. Like a big diorama

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
not spooky if in a gym setting u just have me an aweome idea haha. Like a big diorama

Yeah maybe with an old transistor radio playing 60s music in the corner and a black and white television somewhere that only broadcasts the old timey stuff plus splice in some vintage news reels and commercials from that era to give it a little extra kick.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
Yeah maybe with an old transistor radio playing 60s music in the corner and a black and white television somewhere that only broadcasts the old timey stuff plus splice in some vintage news reels and commercials from that era to give it a little extra kick.
I don't to say too much because I already have something similar with an old console TV in the works I'll post it all when we expand

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Definitely a pity the entire wasn't saved as some sort of time machine, Arnold could have easily afforded to do so

http://www.ironguru.com/vinces-gym/page-5

Only 2 historic gyms in all of bodybuilding history

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
thats because alot of "people" on here have no clue what bodybuilding and bodybuilding history is. they dont know what it was like back in the day to even have a place to work out much less any info on what to do and eat etc. it was a small group of MEN who built bodybuilding. because they loved it not for the money cuz there wasnt money in it. even today its very tuff to make money from a "gym". gym owners then had a bit of personality. they were there almost all the time. the guys all knew each other etc. vince had some great ideas and some great equipment too. not everything he said done or used was right but he tried. most of his ideas were solid.  he wasnt a welder like joe gold so he had alot of stuff  made out of wood.  yes its sad that his stuff was sold and now cast away like its just junk. same with alot of joe golds equipment. its terrible to see how these guys nowdays just dont give a crap about yesteryear.
^THIS^

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 09:33:08 AM »

Why in the world are you re-painting these?  It's like cleaning rare coins... it lowers the value.  I would want them dirty, dusty and rusty... keeps the character.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »
I don't to say too much because I already have something similar with an old console TV in the works I'll post it all when we expand

Yeah I was thinking I already said too much myself.

I will be in correspondence with you.

myosaurus

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »
are those round preacher benches still made? he had some interesting ideas for equipment design...

round not flat block for calves with rubber padding so we can do calf raises with bare feet
round preacher for more stretch and reducing elbow pain, done standing for more power
spider curl bench
twin padded bench for overhead cable triceps extension to keep the elbows behind head for maximum long head stretch/activation
 :-[

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
are those round preacher benches still made? he had some interesting ideas for equipment design...

round not flat block for calves with rubber padding so we can do calf raises with bare feet
round preacher for more stretch and reducing elbow pain, done standing for more power
spider curl bench
twin padded bench for overhead cable triceps extension to keep the elbows behind head for maximum long head stretch/activation
 :-[

Bodymasters is the last I remember -

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »
i own the set of Dumbbells  from the second location. It's displayed at the Brickyard.
are they welded on the ends or have hex bolts on the ends?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Vince's Gym - dismantled and sold piece by piece - someone lied
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
imagine owning equipment that these icons of their respective fields used.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
Why in the world are you re-painting these?  It's like cleaning rare coins... it lowers the value.  I would want them dirty, dusty and rusty... keeps the character.
true but sometimes it actually increases the value like these pic'd.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
 ;D
F

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
Bodymasters is the last I remember -

I love that preacher curl.

OLKE_TEXAS

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Muscle Radio
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
If you look on Roz and Vince's real gym website and look below, it looks like they closed down or were closing down on the 24th of this month

http://www.realgym.com.au/

Here for the REAL news: Vince Basile Gym closed down. Looks like he sold it right on time.

Vince & Roz's 'Real Gym'
18 May at 00:49
So it's official, we'll be closing next Wednesday 24th May. But the good news is, you can score a piece of our unique gym equipment online. Thank you everyone for your support.
O

OLKE_TEXAS

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Muscle Radio
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
true but sometimes it actually increases the value like these pic'd.

Always the same 2004 pictures you feed us. No new content ever.
O

Virgil

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »
Old school equipment is not really appreciated by most people, but there are a few who appreciate the history of old iron. I'm a part owner of a very old school gym here in Philly. Ed Ryan's gym is where Ron Tuefel trained in the 70's, and virtually nothing has changed. Its a cool vibe to train in a real-deal dungeon. Our rack of dumbels are globe style, and a Lot of our 45s are deep dish York's.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »

at my gym we have the original russian weightlifting plates used at the Montreal Olympics, they are solid and red. I will take a pic next time I remember
"