Author Topic: do you fellas invest in shares? is it a good thing to do?  (Read 23418 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Re: do you fellas invest in shares? is it a good thing to do?
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
You see things FAR too short term, you have unrealistic expectations, are misinformed about many basic investment fundamentals, and you assume you can predict things with 100% accuracy.

You are the one that brought up OSFDX and "55% growth". Fact is it is an actively managed fund that is not currently able to outpace the market, nor has it for a few years.

The value of that active management right now is 0. The cost of that active management is more than 1% per year.

Would you buy OSFDX right now?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Pedro will accept NO volatility!  ;D

When one guy says it's not volatile, I am entitled to point out there is more volatility than the index but it's not doing better than the index - it did well in a specific set of circumstances - post crash. Now it is just an expensive tracker.

So yes - I would not accept more volatility when the fees are higher and the returns are lower than the passive SPY.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
shares are a good thing to do especially if mom packed hershey kisses... you need to share.
sept 10th APF

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
fuck this thread is giving me a headache

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
fuck this thread is giving me a headache

but you have NO brain  ::) & this is very well documented on this site  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2013, 02:38:00 AM »
Very far off the mark on all counts.

We have just poked above the level the S&P500 was at 13 years ago. That is 13 years with zero growth. I am very interested in long term investments - are you saying that disappointment at 13 years of zero growth is me being 'short term'? Put your money in mutual funds and in 15 years time you may well be looking at a market that is at a lower price than it is today. This is the reality. You will not be enriched in 20-50 years doing that.

Agreed

As for risk management - the investment industry has so many failures over their inability to manage risk, I am amazed you even mention it. Mathematical models like portfolio insurance seemed smart to the mathematicians but how could they not have the common sense to know that when everyone used the same model, it would cause them to sell at the same time and crash the markets? How about Lehman and Bear Stearns? Risk? The investment industry either has no clue about risk or ignore it on purpose. Financial advisers like to bandy about risk metrics on funds but those advisers have done no due diligence on the validity of those metrics. They just come in the "sales pack" with the fund, along with the commission rates for selling them to customers.

It is nice that you are concerned about my financial future. Fact is I manage my own money. I'd had my fill of financial advice by the mid 2000's and I decided to take things into my own hands, a fair amount of which was based on investing in land. In fact just this week I purchased some land off someone that needed to sell in a hurry. This has been a good deal. I guess what I should have done is put it into funds and let someone charge me a 3% management fee per year regardless of how they perform managing it.

Now THAT's what I would consider an investment... with your profit generated on the acquisition of an undervalued asset, without having to wait for appreciation.

The sole reason for the traditional  investments I do have is capital preservation because I do not think that cash is safe any more - any currency. I'd rather hold a US MNC than US Dollars.

Of course, right now there's a good bull run so every financial adviser thinks they are Gods gift. When this run ends, there's going to be a lot of "financial advisrs" selling vacuum cleaners door to door.

I'd recommend anyone who buys into this industry to have a good read of Black Swan by Telab before enriching the people in this industry.

BINGO!!!  
In this economic environment, capital preservation is the name of the game
w

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »
is it rockey surgery or simple stuff to do with money you dont use anyway

Very risky.

Trend trading is only way to safely win, but even that is tricky due to irs.

See IRS taxes you on your gains.

If you lose big and year rolls voer before your gain big you can get taxes big on year 2 but not be able to cancel it on year 1.

Its tricky.