Author Topic: How do you measure progress in your training?  (Read 3939 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
How do you measure progress in your training?
« on: November 30, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »
What metric do you measure yourself with?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: How do you measure progress in your training?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »
I used to log all my workouts and compare to the previous year, it was more about strength. Tracking the big 3 lifts and my other favorites.

These days i just go by how i look in the mirror.

If you're into strength training, i would record all your workouts and compare every 3-4 months. Make sure you are making at least some progression. Track your bodyweight too.

Take pictures every few months. Make sure you take the pictures in the same location as lighting and distance can make you look much different. You should be able to notice some good progress on the 6 month spread.

You won't notice on a daily basis, that's why you need to track workouts and take pictures. You should be able to see a substantial improvement in both every 4-6 months if you are training with intent and eating well.

Every month i take some pictures just to track progress. Sometimes i don't think i've changed much until i look at a picture that's 6 months old.

I also think it's important to get lean once a year for a month or two, that's the best way to see how much you have grown.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »
Good to hear how you do it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
I also used to keep training logs and now just go by feel and the mirror.  I also no longer use specific routines but just do whatever I feel like doing.  Training routines/programs are great for beginners and intermediates but really have nothing for me.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »
1. body fat
2. strength lost or gained. At this age it's truly maintenance
3. Power as demonstrated through such things as power cleaning, vertical leap or sprinting (Sprinting is off the books for now but I can dream I can get back to it.)
4. Most people think of strength as an 1 rep max. Another way to look at strength is truly muscular endurance. How fast can you do 5 sets of 10 with what weight?
5. How fast did you complete the work out?  If it took 80 minutes one work out and 70 minutes the next you increased your intensity even with the same weight and same reps.
6. The mirror is an obvious tool.
7. For older guys comparing yourself to your age peers. If you truly take an undelusional objective look are you looking better and performing better than the typical guy in your age group? 

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Trainer of Champions
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 07:08:59 PM »
1. body fat
2. strength lost or gained. At this age it's truly maintenance
3. Power as demonstrated through such things as power cleaning, vertical leap or sprinting (Sprinting is off the books for now but I can dream I can get back to it.)
4. Most people think of strength as an 1 rep max. Another way to look at strength is truly muscular endurance. How fast can you do 5 sets of 10 with what weight?
5. How fast did you complete the work out?  If it took 80 minutes one work out and 70 minutes the next you increased your intensity even with the same weight and same reps.
6. The mirror is an obvious tool.
7. For older guys comparing yourself to your age peers. If you truly take an undelusional objective look are you looking better and performing better than the typical guy in your age group?

1. Bodyweight its the name of the board
2. Bodyfat
3. Actual Bench press weights used
4. My previous numbers above from years past

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:19:16 AM »
The mirror.

mark435

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 05:26:48 PM »
Mirror, photos and measuring tape

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 05:20:37 AM »
Thanks for posting.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »
If requiring a mirror...assuming it's for BB'ing general progress or posing.

A three way full length mirror. Also a setup to view the total back, with that three way mirror.  Using direct lighting or overhead sunlight can be very telling as regards finding flaws in physical structure. Flat lighting is very misleading and can give a washed out appearance. Set up a video camera to check progress from time to time.

If using a tape measure, use a narrow steel tape. Try taking measurement first thing in the morning rather than later in the day, when daily movement can encourage a natural pump to the muscles. . Taking measurement during or after a working will never gave a true reading.

If wanting to be truly honest, than don't workout for a couple of days and than take measurement first thing in the morning.  You might be shocked.

If shirts are tighter around the shoulder girdle and upper back or if jeans/pants starting to feel snug around the legs/calf's, that is a good clue your making progress. Hopefully it is increased muscle mass, rather than fat. See too many guys who some how equate fat as muscle gain. Only fooling themselves and no one else. If waist measurements stay the same or by some miracle  become looser, you are on the right track in training.

Strength gain progress:

That is very obvious. Don't need any commits from me.  Though I have met a few still confused by the simple training stuff..  Never could understand that.

Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 04:22:17 PM »
Many chose mirror and that's true. The problem is guys are delusional.  Ask any guy what do you think a girl would rate him facially and physique wise. You would be hard pressed to find a guy to say under 8. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 09:16:24 AM »
Many chose mirror and that's true. The problem is guys are delusional.  Ask any guy what do you think a girl would rate him facially and physique wise. You would be hard pressed to find a guy to say under 8.
You'd be hard pressed to find a Getbigger say under 10.