Author Topic: Anyone have any luck with STEM cells for a torn rotator cuff?  (Read 2641 times)

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II

Have a very bad and painful torn rotator cuff.  It's not completely torn but I'm unable to do any shoulder presses and I'm in constant pain.  Had surgery lined up but backed out.  I've been hearing about a lot of success with Stem cells.

Anyone have stem cell treatments and if so how did it go?

When I checked, the surgery and Stem cell treatment cost the exact same thing.  But insurance will pay for the surgery but won't pay for the stem cell treatment.  Around 8,000 USD or so.

The Keto Kid

• Getbig IV
Re: Anyone have any luck with STEM cells for a torn rotator cuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
I know a guy who got his knees done, paid $13,000 and has seen zero relief,  now he's trying to sue the doc.  These stem cell clinics are popping up everywhere, and there's no way to assure the quality of the stem cells they are using.

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
Yeah, they are popping up everywhere.

I know the real deal is in Panama where American Doctors are overseeing things.  But that's 25,000 dollars.  Check out the Jor Rogan podcast where Mel Gibson was on.  It's pretty astounding but I don't have 25K to spend going down there for the real deal.

The Keto Kid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
Yeah, I saw that, Mexico might be a better option, it's around $5,000 down there.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
Science isn't there yet.

Remember how stem cells were going to be the next big thing for hearing loss?  Didn't exactly work out.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 03:11:35 PM »
They can also make a Shakys Pizza.

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
Doesn't do anything....Palumbo had stem cell and still needed full shoulder replacement

Levrone just said it works out of embarrasment at his legs at Olympia

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Have a very bad and painful torn rotator cuff.  It's not completely torn but I'm unable to do any shoulder presses and I'm in constant pain.  Had surgery lined up but backed out.  I've been hearing about a lot of success with Stem cells.

When I checked, the surgery and Stem cell treatment cost the exact same thing.  But insurance will pay for the surgery but won't pay for the stem cell treatment.  Around 8,000 USD or so.

Let it heal for 3-6 months.  

Avoid surgery if at all possible.

Patience Yago, patience.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Have a very bad and painful torn rotator cuff.  It's not completely torn but I'm unable to do any shoulder presses and I'm in constant pain.  Had surgery lined up but backed out.  I've been hearing about a lot of success with Stem cells.

When I checked, the surgery and Stem cell treatment cost the exact same thing.  But insurance will pay for the surgery but won't pay for the stem cell treatment.  Around 8,000 USD or so.

Have the surgery.  I've had it done THREE TIMES.  Went from being unable to turn my cars steering wheel or take off a shirt over my head... to competing in powerlifting and handling daily activities totally pain free. 

My tears were all grade III, the absolute worst. They can fix you. Recovery and rehab is EXTREMELY painful and frustrating.  You will be a one armed man for 30 days minimum. Wear your sling. Be compliant.  Never fire that surgically repaired shoulder for at least a YEAR. You may recruit your repaired shoulder but do not fire it. 

Find a surgeon that has performed at least one thousand rotator cuff reconstructions. "Practice makes perfect."

a

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »
I had back surgery and that shit didn't really didn't do much, still hurt to walk for distance, and legs were in pain. I got stem cells, and been getting decompression therapy. So fucking worth it. I feel the best I have in years. Yes it isn't covered by insurance, but I would avoid surgery at all cost. Now back and rotator cuff are too different things. You could try anti-imfammatory injections, diowave laser, but imo I would try prp therapy first. It is cheaper then stem cells, and it is suppose to have similar effects.
A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
Have the surgery.  I've had it done THREE TIMES.  Went from being unable to turn my cars steering wheel or take off a shirt over my head... to competing in powerlifting and handling daily activities totally pain free. 

My tears were all grade III, the absolute worst. They can fix you. Recovery and rehab is EXTREMELY painful and frustrating.  You will be a one armed man for 30 days minimum. Wear your sling. Be compliant.  Never fire that surgically repaired shoulder for at least a YEAR. You may recruit your repaired shoulder but do not fire it. 

Find a surgeon that has performed at least one thousand rotator cuff reconstructions. "Practice makes perfect."

Why did you have it done three times?  How long were you back in the gym?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
Why did you have it done three times?  How long were you back in the gym?

:). Right shoulder was done in 2010.  Left shoulder was done in 2013. Right shoulder was done again in 2014 as in tore the same tendon (that comprise the rotator cuff) again.  I was geared up and got a little reckless.  

You will not be back in the gym actually lifting weights for a minimum of TWO MONTHS.  Very mild rehab started six weeks post surgery and lasted almost a year.  I still perform many of the same stretches and rehab movements and always will. During the third and final procedure I also had my LHBT long head bicep tendon cut and reattached.  It was badly damaged and would have failed in time.  

The first two surgeries were caused by YEARS of wear & tear.  The third surgery was pretty much just me being reckless and doing to much when running some good gear and feeling great.  
a

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
It works, but you have to find the right practitioner.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 09:04:41 PM »

The first two surgeries were caused YEARS of wear & tear.  The third surgery was pretty much just me being reckless and doing to much when running some good gear and feeling great. 

How do you train these days? Moderate weight more sets?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »
How do you train these days? Moderate weight more sets?

I train pretty much 4x per week.  I still compete in the sport of powerlifting.

Sunday- bench press day.  Very light except ten weeks prior to competition. I ALWAYS WEAR a slingshot when I bench press over 225 pounds. My current BP max in competition is only 330 but it keeps me in contention so my squat and deadlift can save me.

Tuesday- deadlifts and accessories.

Friday- arms, light weight high reps. Good volume.  

Saturday- squats.  Heavy. Powerlifting style.  Minimal accessory work.

My rotator cuffs are fragile but pain free.  I do not test them. I treat them nicely.  

As long as I can improve my total I'll keep competing in powerlifting. As soon as I know I can not get stronger I'll stop the nonsense and just train light.  I'm 56 and compete in the 242 pound weight class.

Stay cool my friend.
a

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
Palumbo mentioned it didn't do shit for his shoulders.
T

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »
I train pretty much 4x per week.  I still compete in the sport of powerlifting.

Sunday- bench press day.  Very light except ten weeks prior to competition. I ALWAYS WEAR a slingshot when I bench press over 225 pounds. My current BP max in competition is only 330 but it keeps me in contention so my squat and deadlift can save me.

Tuesday- deadlifts and accessories.

Friday- arms, light weight high reps. Good volume.  

Saturday- squats.  Heavy. Powerlifting style.  Minimal accessory work.

My rotator cuffs are fragile but pain free.  I do not test them. I treat them nicely.  

As long as I can improve my total I'll keep competing in powerlifting. As soon as I know I can not get stronger I'll stop the nonsense and just train light.  I'm 56 and compete in the 242 pound weight class.

Stay cool my friend.

Was there anything which specifically injured your shoulders?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 08:01:45 AM »
I have done PRP injections in the past with great success

I have a buddy who did stem cells and it did nothing..went to PRP and that was successful.

Stem cells will be an epic cure all one day...but I feel they are currently mis-utilized

Bench

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »

I have a buddy who did stem cells and it did nothing..went to PRP and that was successful.

Stem cells will be an epic cure all one day...but I feel they are currently mis-utilized

Bench
They helped me more then the back surgery.
A

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Was there anything which specifically injured your shoulders?

Gman it was primarily wear & tear from 30 years of sports, bodybuilding, and just being rough and rowdy.

The first tear actually happened when I was SKIPPING ROPE. LOL! Just skipping away one day in the TRX room at my gym and BANG! The tendon(s) were obviously very fragile and frail.   Second tear was even crazier....  I did a set of deadlifts. Nothing special 405 x 8- just warming up...  I went to release/remove my power belt and when I tugged with my right arm and shoulder to pop lose the prong, BANG! I knew immediately what I had done.  I took a knee because of the pain and my training partner said, "Dude, what was that sound and why are you making that painful expression?" Absolutely true. Once again the tendons were very damaged and were waiting for some direct stimulation to detach.

The third time I was about a year recovered from the first surgery, was feeling great.  Was doing 135 pound laying dumbbell presses.  The tendons were complaining a bit And I should have stopped but I was on a nice cycle, feeling strong... so I was hitting reps and on rep 8/9/10 it just went bang, pop, BANG!!

All three injuries were bad. Grade III or total detachments of the superspinatus (the biggest of the four tendons that comprise the rotator cuff)

a

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »

Bench

there is PRP for skin treatments and hair loss stufftoo

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
there is PRP for skin treatments and hair loss stufftoo

Their is also prp for your dick. It is called a p-shot. Google that shit.  :-X
A

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 06:31:20 PM »
Poster in the thread mentions 2-3x stem cells worked for him and no one acknowledges it or asks him any questions LoL

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 06:57:26 PM »
Poster in the thread mentions 2-3x stem cells worked for him and no one acknowledges it or asks him any questions LoL
confirmation bias?
Lol anyway i did my job, if no one cares, no one cares.
A