Author Topic: only atheists are allowed to post in this thread.  (Read 105803 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: tbombz facebook post from today & free religious sermon by MOS!
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »
I agree that he has patience and takes time to answer. I don't think I've attacked him (although I think I may have once gotten frustrated and used a pejorative or two) and I try to make my posts thoughtful and to answer the points he does make. I also don't doubt that his beliefs are sincerely held and that he's genuine and honest. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to challenge those beliefs in the context of a discussion in which he voluntarily partcipates.

All religious people in America have this false idea that they are "under attack." Just watch Fox News. They consistently state that Christians are being "attacked" and "persecuted." It sounds like MOS holds this similar view. I think it has to do with the fact that this is not the year 1500 any more, and people are seriously starting to challenge religion. Religion no longer holds the sacred place it used to. 500 years ago you would be burned alive or hung for challenging religion. Times have changed. I suspect that people like MOS feel persecuted, and are overly sensitive.
X

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
As a bystander in some of these threads I would say that what MOS says here is correct and he has more patience then I do in responding to a lot of the obvious attacks. His answers are well thought out and isn't afraid to say he doesn't have all the answers (no one does). MOS=good guy in my book.

He is a good guy, but his book is no more true then any other and there is no way to verify them. I find it odd god would show himself so obviously to those stone aged people, yet he has been absent for centuries now. Which seems more rational? that those people without proper knowledge of the world created a god or god thought it best to only reveal himself to a small sect of apes in a particular part of the world, when bacteria was unknown for example. If he is in the business of actually revealing himself in physical form etc way not just do it again? when cameras exist? something isn't adding up here. When something doesn't make sense we refer to it as wrong.

Scientology is as valid as christianity, the recent nature of it makes it more laughable. However, the bible is equally as laughable, perhaps even more so, yet it's age creates this concept of "wisdom" and  "magical thinking". I think it's most likely these poorly educated and ill-informed people got it wrong, after all, we know how hard it is to get something right. The bible says nothing about quantum mechanics, germ theory, gravity or anything actually useful.

There are trillions of stars, a vast universe and god is concerned with one type of great ape that has been on this planet for a small blip. In order to believe in god you have to believe he sat and watched for millions of years as species after species went extinct, seemingly disinterested, meanwhile we are his goal and concern.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »

Regardless, it's the haughty atheists job to never admit to a theist that the atheist position was wrong (there's no such thing LOL) or that the theist was correct (there's REALLY no such thing).   That notion doesn't comport with your worldview and it never will.....that's why it's a suckers game.....I was the sucker and I admit that.  Still, it wasn't all for naught, but that's only for me.

You mean the haughty theist that says, "I dont care what evidence you show me, I know a God exists." That one? Or were you referring to the other theists that always honestly examine the evidence? Oh wait, those are few and far between.

I have never ever met a hardcore theist who will actually says, "A God may not exist." They are absolutely certain that a God does exist, no matter what evidence you show them. And who is "haughty?" Tbombz believes the earth is 6000 years old, despite the fact that there is a HUGE general consensus that its billions of years older. Its pretty much not even debatable. The earth is demonstrably older than 6000 years old. Yet, tbombz thinks this is false, like so many other theists. This is haughty!

No answer is sufficient because most of your answers are just verses from the bible. Even when you watch debates between atheists vs. theists, the theist hardly every cites scripture verbatim. Its just not a good way to debate. Why should we think that to be a sufficient answer?

It's a fact that the earth is millions of years old,  it can be proven beyond a doubt, yet theists dismiss these facts. The universe is roughly 4.5 billion years old, things like star formation require a particular amount of time, black holes, redshift, radiometric dating, physics, all of biology etc etc etc corroborate the age of the earth and universe.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
It's a fact that the earth is millions of years old,  it can be proven beyond a doubt, yet theists dismiss these facts. The universe earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old, things like star formation require a particular amount of time, black holes, redshift, radiometric dating, physics, all of biology etc etc etc corroborate the age of the earth and universe.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »

Yes, the earth is roughly 4 billion years old. The universe is roughly 14 billion years.

Quite a difference than 6000 years old. Those silly theists.
X

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
Oh PLEASE....that is absolute nonsense.  I take time to craft answers as best I'm able...I've done it for years now....for you and many, many others.  

Do note, I never suggested that you didn't take time to craft answers; in fact, if you look back through some of my posts, you'll note how I've thanked you for continuing to engage and trying to focus on the merits instead of proselytizing. It was you that said that you started keeping your answers to me brief. I merely suggested a reason. Maybe you disagree with my reason, but it's what I believe. Am I not entitled to my beliefs?

With some folks it gets to the point in which I've answered their objections repeatedly yet they keep spewing them out again and again in slightly different variations.  Fine, you don't agree with me....I get it.

Sorry, but thinking you've answered their objections is not the same as actually answering. If I ask "why is the sky blue?" then no matter how many times you scream: "God makes it blue!" you aren't giving an answer.

How many times do I need to repeat things?  So for some I just start one lining things or keep answers to a couple of words.  For most it's real simple....respond with a few words (which is preferred) it's ALWAYS deemed an insufficient reply.  Respond with a thorough reply and it goes unread or gets a "meltdown" or "TL;DR".

Except I don't think I've even answered with "meltdown" or "TL;DR". In fact, my answers to you are elaborate and carefully crafted because I actually spend time thinking about the issues you raise and how to address them.

What I realized is that you and a few others are not after "an answer" because you've already figured it all out.  You think you're just toying with lesser minds now.

I don't think I've figured it all out, although I certainly think that I've figured out that there's no God. Forgive me for not being an agnostic... you're welcome to try to use logic to convince me I'm wrong. Unlike you, I'm open to the possibility.

Even if I answer you thoroughly and correctly you'll just go to the ole "I'm still waiting for a cogent reply" crutch or you'll respond with a five word jab about "lesser intellects" (whatever it is).

There are plenty of people who have the IQ of tepid bathwater, and a lot are very opinionated and loud. If I come across such people I call them out, not to make myself feel better but because I don't think that one should engage with idiots.

Still for a time there I thought that there was a decent line of communication, but I was wrong...I admit that.

I thought we did pretty well.

It's not that you don't ask good questions or questions that require thoughtful consideration.  You do.  But you're not always correct in your theological assumptions....I've corrected you repeatedly and I've also told you that sometimes you give me things to think about (and I do).  Yet I fully admit I don't have all the answers.....never will.

The problem is that your corrections usually require me to accept huge tenets of your faith and a particular interpretation. More than once you've suggested that in order for me to know God I must first accept that he exists, that the Bible is his inerrant word and that through that, I can get to know him and learn about Jesus, through whom I can then know and commune with the Father.

Sorry... that's not how it works. I'm asking you to provide me evidence of your God, and your response is to say: "well, believe first and then I'll give you evidence." But that's nonsense. If I believe, what's the point of evidence? In fact, if I believe, anything is evidence, so that term becomes meaningless.

Regardless, it's the haughty atheists job to never admit to a theist that the atheist position was wrong (there's no such thing LOL) or that the theist was correct (there's REALLY no such thing).   That notion doesn't comport with your worldview and it never will.....that's why it's a suckers game.....I was the sucker and I admit that.  Still, it wasn't all for naught, but that's only for me.

I don't think being an atheist makes someone infallible. I openly admit that my atheism and the positions I take are based on my evaluation of observable facts and logical deductions. Is it possible I'm wrong? Of course. I never claim to be infallible. Now, let's flip the table because I'm curious about something: is it possible that you are wrong, that God doesn't exist and your beliefs are unjustified?

It's fine if a person prefers to "line by line" things.  Hate to burst your bubble, but you're not the only one that does that.  And I'm not suggesting I respond to or even see every post....I'm sure I miss stuff.  That's doesn't mean I can't respond to those things though or that I'm running away.  I've repeatedly don't 8 versus 1 in threads and held my own.  Then there are times when I'm just tired and need a break from the back and forth....I'm sure things get missed then.

We all get tired and need breaks. I don't think I suggested you need to answer every post on every thread. I never even suggested that you should answer most posts or most thread. I don't care how many you answer or not. I know you can respond and I was under the impression that you enjoyed the debate and the process of having your faith challenged and trying to challenge the positions and beliefs of others.

Yet, I still admit that I won't always have a sufficient answer, but that doesn't negate my faith or God or "religion"....yada yada.  Problem is with this game any answer is automatically "insufficient" because in this game "answers" aren't the point....making the theist look foolish is the object.

I have no interest in making theists - or anyone else for that matter - look foolish, especially over the Internet. I have much better things to do with my time. I never suggested that you needed to have all the answers. All I tried to get you (and others) to do is to stop trying to pass off your beliefs as fact. I never suggested you stop believing and I never tried to convert you. In fact, if you remember I openly told you that once you bring in personal, divine revelation the debate is over, because nobody can argue against that, but that you can't use that to convince others, since others have no way of knowing if what you experienced was personal, divine revelation or undiagnosed mental disorders - and that wans't meant as an insult.

That's why I don't respond to you at length anymore.  Still if you feel good thinking you've taken me down....I'm a-ok with that....it was just a silly game.

Taking you down is of no interest to me.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »
It's a fact that the earth is millions of years old,  it can be proven beyond a doubt, yet theists dismiss these facts. The universe is roughly 4.5 billion years old, things like star formation require a particular amount of time, black holes, redshift, radiometric dating, physics, all of biology etc etc etc corroborate the age of the earth and universe.

Just saw this now lol

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32804177

The world's oldest stone tools have been discovered, scientists report.

They were unearthed from the shores of Lake Turkana in Kenya, and date to 3.3 million years ago.

They are 700,000 years older than any tools found before, even pre-dating the earliest humans in the Homo genus.

The find, reported in Nature, suggests that more ancient species, such as Australopithecus afarensis or Kenyanthropus platyops, may have been more sophisticated than was thought.

"They are significantly earlier than anything that has been found previously," said Dr Nick Taylor, from the National Centre of Scientific Research (CNRS) in France and the University of Leiden in the Netherlands.

"It's really quite astonishing to think what separates the previous oldest site and this site is 700,000 years of time. It's monumental."
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »
Do note, I never suggested that you didn't take time to craft answers; in fact, if you look back through some of my posts, you'll note how I've thanked you for continuing to engage and trying to focus on the merits instead of proselytizing. It was you that said that you started keeping your answers to me brief. I merely suggested a reason. Maybe you disagree with my reason, but it's what I believe. Am I not entitled to my beliefs?

Sorry, but thinking you've answered their objections is not the same as actually answering. If I ask "why is the sky blue?" then no matter how many times you scream: "God makes it blue!" you aren't giving an answer.

Except I don't think I've even answered with "meltdown" or "TL;DR". In fact, my answers to you are elaborate and carefully crafted because I actually spend time thinking about the issues you raise and how to address them.

I don't think I've figured it all out, although I certainly think that I've figured out that there's no God. Forgive me for not being an agnostic... you're welcome to try to use logic to convince me I'm wrong. Unlike you, I'm open to the possibility.

There are plenty of people who have the IQ of tepid bathwater, and a lot are very opinionated and loud. If I come across such people I call them out, not to make myself feel better but because I don't think that one should engage with idiots.

I thought we did pretty well.

The problem is that your corrections usually require me to accept huge tenets of your faith and a particular interpretation. More than once you've suggested that in order for me to know God I must first accept that he exists, that the Bible is his inerrant word and that through that, I can get to know him and learn about Jesus, through whom I can then know and commune with the Father.

Sorry... that's not how it works. I'm asking you to provide me evidence of your God, and your response is to say: "well, believe first and then I'll give you evidence." But that's nonsense. If I believe, what's the point of evidence? In fact, if I believe, anything is evidence, so that term becomes meaningless.

I don't think being an atheist makes someone infallible. I openly admit that my atheism and the positions I take are based on my evaluation of observable facts and logical deductions. Is it possible I'm wrong? Of course. I never claim to be infallible. Now, let's flip the table because I'm curious about something: is it possible that you are wrong, that God doesn't exist and your beliefs are unjustified?

We all get tired and need breaks. I don't think I suggested you need to answer every post on every thread. I never even suggested that you should answer most posts or most thread. I don't care how many you answer or not. I know you can respond and I was under the impression that you enjoyed the debate and the process of having your faith challenged and trying to challenge the positions and beliefs of others.

I have no interest in making theists - or anyone else for that matter - look foolish, especially over the Internet. I have much better things to do with my time. I never suggested that you needed to have all the answers. All I tried to get you (and others) to do is to stop trying to pass off your beliefs as fact. I never suggested you stop believing and I never tried to convert you. In fact, if you remember I openly told you that once you bring in personal, divine revelation the debate is over, because nobody can argue against that, but that you can't use that to convince others, since others have no way of knowing if what you experienced was personal, divine revelation or undiagnosed mental disorders - and that wans't meant as an insult.

Taking you down is of no interest to me.

Since you've take the time to reply, I will do the same when I free up.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2015, 01:37:23 PM »
800$ custom bunny suit

enough said...

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
Since you've take the time to reply, I will do the same when I free up.

Don't worry about it - not every post needs an answer and this isn't the right thread for this anyways.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »
All religious people in America have this false idea that they are "under attack." Just watch Fox News. They consistently state that Christians are being "attacked" and "persecuted." It sounds like MOS holds this similar view. I think it has to do with the fact that this is not the year 1500 any more, and people are seriously starting to challenge religion. Religion no longer holds the sacred place it used to. 500 years ago you would be burned alive or hung for challenging religion. Times have changed. I suspect that people like MOS feel persecuted, and are overly sensitive.

Why wouldn't he? Exactly what happens every time he posts. Doesn't need Fox to tell him that.

Also don't get why you lump him in with "haughty theists." He certainly hasn't behaved as such here, and he's not obligated to answer for those who have.

He addressed specific attacks against himself, and the board has a shitload of posts to support his characterization. Dude's been nothing but fair, honest, and decent since day one.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
It's a fact that the earth is millions of years old,  it can be proven beyond a doubt, yet theists dismiss these facts. The universe is roughly *13.5 billion years old, things like star formation require a particular amount of time, black holes, redshift, radiometric dating, physics, all of biology etc etc etc corroborate the age of the earth and universe.

* our solar system is roughly 4.5 billion yrs old and the Universe is around 13-14 billion

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
* our solar system is roughly 4.5 billion yrs old and the Universe is around 13-14 billion

If that's the case where did Wes live before the birth of our solar system?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »
800$ custom bunny suit

enough said...

" On the 8th day , the Lord created the bunny bottom man." Gospel of Getbig  Ch 2 vs 69

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »
If that's the case where did Wes live before the birth of our solar system?

He's from Uranus actually ... ;)

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
He's from Uranus actually ... ;)

He certainly cums there a lot.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
He certainly cums there a lot.

ba dum tss

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
Why wouldn't he? Exactly what happens every time he posts. Doesn't need Fox to tell him that.

Also don't get why you lump him in with "haughty theists." He certainly hasn't behaved as such here, and he's not obligated to answer for those who have.

He addressed specific attacks against himself, and the board has a shitload of posts to support his characterization. Dude's been nothing but fair, honest, and decent since day one.

I wasn't specifically referring to getbig.      Who cares about what is said on getbig. I was speaking more in a global manner, i.e., he, like other theists, feel like there is a specific agenda against them, especially in America. That there is a cultural shift that is trying to "shut down" theists. I am sure what is said to him on getbig rarely ever matters. Its the overall feeling of a society that is shifting away from religion (obviously, its still has its stronghold, but nowhere near to the extent that it once did).

Who said I lumped him in with "haughty" theists? If you go back and re-read my posts, you will see that I use tbombz as an example. Not MOS. I've referred to theists in general.  Please do not puts words into my mouth. Thank you.

Well, I wouldn't say since day one, since he was a pretty big troll back in the day. His character shifted drastically when he found God.

Also, this is the G and O section of getbig. Rarely any conversations stay on task. And most involve jokes or short-handed comments toward another. And that goes for any topics. Its even happened to me during the times Ive tried to have serious debates with people. Its just the nature of the board. MOS is quite aware the nature of this board, and has stated that its almost impossible to have a debate on here.

X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »

I wasn't specifically referring to getbig.      Who cares about what is said on getbig. I was speaking more in a global manner, i.e., he, like other theists, feel like there is a specific agenda against them, especially in America. That there is a cultural shift that is trying to "shut down" theists. I am sure what is said to him on getbig rarely ever matters. Its the overall feeling of a society that is shifting away from religion (obviously, its still has its stronghold, but nowhere near to the extent that it once did).

Who said I lumped him in with "haughty" theists? If you go back and re-read my posts, you will see that I use tbombz as an example. Not MOS. I've referred to theists in general.  Please do not puts words into my mouth. Thank you.

Well, I wouldn't say since day one, since he was a pretty big troll back in the day. His character shifted drastically when he found God.

Also, this is the G and O section of getbig. Rarely any conversations stay on task. And most involve jokes or short-handed comments toward another. And that goes for any topics. Its even happened to me during the times Ive tried to have serious debates with people. Its just the nature of the board. MOS is quite aware the nature of this board, and has stated that its almost impossible to have a debate on here.

I re-read them. Got it right the first time.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
I re-read them. Got it right the first time.

No, you didn't.
X

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
I was using mistake in the context of doing something wrong, intention is certainly important, however, I disagree with many "sins" as they are biologically based not cognitive.

the word sin gets me.

I'm okay with whatever folks want to call it when they screw up. A sin as defined by religious beliefs, gets me a little too.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
From Tbombz Facebook:

DRUNKENNESS
"Are you a Christian? Do you believe in Jesus? Are you a drunkard, too? Sure, Jesus did turn water into wine. The Bible often speaks of alcoholic beverages in a positive light. However, only in moderation and on rare occasion. Wherever the bible speaks about drunkenness it condemns such behavior! Now, it may be ok to get a little bit "buzzed" once or twice a year on a very special occasion, but if your belting em' back on a weekly basis then your not obeying the Lord who commands you to "Be sober and vigilant". Now, with confidence I say to you:vWake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame."

"Your a grown man, or your a grown woman. You pay your own bills, and live your own life. You have life experience, and you might even have some kids of your own. And your dating somebody, and it's pretty serious. Your both grown ups, maybe you've both been married before and neither of you want to rush into another one. But your having sex with each other anyways. Do you know what God thinks about that? He thinks you deserve to burn in hell for eternity because you love your sexual sins more than you love Him. And if it wasn't for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ, you would in fact suffer that eternal torment as a just penalty for your sin. Now, ask yourself, do you believe in God? Do you love God? Now, why don't you obey Him? I'm not only speaking to you old folks, but to you young people as well. Yes, "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, then you will be saved" but "faith without works is dead"

""Pornography
porne (greek): prostitute
graphy (greek): written

Do you watch pornography? Do you know that pornography is any visual, verbal, or written display or discussion concerning sexual immorality? Any written word, and spoken speech, any sexual thing that you intentionally watch, look at, listen to, talk about, or think about... it is pornography, it is adultery, and it is treason and betrayal against Jesus Christ.

God has given us sex as a beautiful relationship between one man and one woman to engage in when they are married."
X

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
This Facebook post inspired all manner of responses which I won't make because I don't want to be cruel.

Ultimately, what I want to say is get back to me on this in a couple of decades. If you still believe this nonsense. then we can have an intelligent theological discussion where I will have more respect for you having been reborn. Frankly, at this point it simply seems like you are just going through another phase in your life. This one may be better for you in the long run, but it is also much more irritating than some of your previous incarnations.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »
This Facebook post inspired all manner of responses which I won't make because I don't want to be cruel.

Ultimately, what I want to say is get back to me on this in a couple of decades. If you still believe this nonsense. then we can have an intelligent theological discussion where I will have more respect for you having been reborn. Frankly, at this point it simply seems like you are just going through another phase in your life. This one may be better for you in the long run, but it is also much more irritating than some of your previous incarnations.

Decades? People like this don't even last months, especially at his pace.