Author Topic: How did Gwen Ifill do as moderator last night?  (Read 1595 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
How did Gwen Ifill do as moderator last night?
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »
I thought she did a FANTASTIC job as moderator of last night's debate.  I mentioned it last night in one of Hugo's threads, but I haven't seen anyone else giver Ifill her props.  I think she handled the whole debate very objectively, which allow both candidates to be at their best.  That was a great debate last night.  Sen. Biden did very well, and as much as people on this board loathe Gov. Palin, one would be a fool to not admit that she knocked it out of the park last night.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: How did Gwen Ifill do as moderator last night?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Palin exceeded expectations, but hit it out of the park she did not.  She got a standing double.

Moderators was good.

Time of possession for each was even

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:16:42 AM »
These days, moderators in debates are practically irrelevant.  Ifill (whom I like) was perfectly serviceable in the position.  All the fretting from Palin supporters that somehow Gwen was going to hurt their candidate was nonsense.  If Pailn had not previously proven herself a simpleton those concerns would never have been raised.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:20:37 AM »
Moderators from both debates so far have a left slant to them, but both of them treated each candidate fairly.
Y

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
moderators in debates are practically irrelevant. 
I think that's the whole point.  It shouldn't be about the moderator, but just the candidates doing verbal battle. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 08:51:56 AM »
Palin exceeded expectations, but hit it out of the park she did not.  She got a standing double.

Moderators was good.

Time of possession for each was even
Play it down as best can be, she has re-energized the conservative base for a second time in as many months. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
Play it down as best can be, she has re-energized the conservative base for a second time in as many months. 

I think she did that also, but did she get new votes?   I don't think so.  I think anyone who watched that last night who is independent or on the fence would lean towards the democratic ticket.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »
Was there any doubt Ifill would not do a good job?

Oh yeah... by the cons making pre-emptive excuses for Palin's performance.  Now that Palin did ok, suddenly Ifill did a great job??

::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »
I thought she did a FANTASTIC job as moderator of last night's debate.  I mentioned it last night in one of Hugo's threads, but I haven't seen anyone else giver Ifill her props.  I think she handled the whole debate very objectively, which allow both candidates to be at their best.  That was a great debate last night.  Sen. Biden did very well, and as much as people on this board loathe Gov. Palin, one would be a fool to not admit that she knocked it out of the park last night.

As a Sarah Palin fan myself, I thought Ifil did a great job.  Fair and balanced and let the candidates speak without interupting.. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
She was a good moderator and very fair to both candidates.  I would have liked a few more questions though.  Lots of important topics not addressed.  Immigration policy as one of them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
She let palin get away with takling about whatever she wanted.

She knew that one polite 'please stay on topic, sarah' and she'd be branded a left-wing evildoer by FOX douchebags.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
Was there any doubt Ifill would not do a good job?

Oh yeah... by the cons making pre-emptive excuses for Palin's performance.  Now that Palin did ok, suddenly Ifill did a great job??

::)
LOL bro you had ppl on here going on about palin wearing a cast for sympathy and palin wearing her hair down to hide a ear piece and then you have a moderator who is decidedly biased...which one do you think is more credible to talk about? But guess which ones the left ppl on this board choose to legitmize?

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 09:47:35 AM »
I didnt like her... I wanted to see the moderator try stumping them to shake up their pre planned speeches for each answer... Seeing her alow palin to recite memorized answers with out asking something different made me wanna barf

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
The post I made about her book turned out to be much to do about nothing. She did fine was was pretty impartial.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
She did good.  I still think she should have stepped aside because of her book and anti-Palin comments, but she was "fair and balanced."   :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »

True, but the conservative base should not need to be re-energized at this point in the game.

I wanted Romney as the Presidential candidate, but think the ticket would appear much stronger had he been chosen for VP right now.

I agree with OzmO, I don't think she hurt, but I don't think she grabbed any new votes.  I've always thought the VP had no impact anyway, though.
Y

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »
Did she get new votes? 
Yes.  Absolutely.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
That's what Lunz's focus group showed yesterday.  A room full of independents and undecided voters who split evenly between Bush and Kerry said overwhelmingly that Palin won and several said they would now vote for McCain. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
That's what Lunz's focus group showed yesterday.  A room full of independents and undecided voters who split evenly between Bush and Kerry said overwhelmingly that Palin won and several said they would now vote for McCain. 

eh, Lunz works for fox news and hasn't been objective for a while.  He brags on ability to change answers based upon way he asks Qs.

That 95% number sure wasn't reflected in any other poll.  I'd prefer wait for zogby to do something scientific, not roll with the findings of a FOX employee who gloats about his power of manipulation. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 11:45:20 AM »
I didnt like her... I wanted to see the moderator try stumping them to shake up their pre planned speeches for each answer... Seeing her alow palin to recite memorized answers with out asking something different made me wanna barf

And Senator Botox did not do the same thing?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »

I saw that as well...it could tighten the race up. The moderator did a good job and kept the debate clicking along.
L

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 03:25:55 PM »
eh, Lunz works for fox news and hasn't been objective for a while.  He brags on ability to change answers based upon way he asks Qs.
That 95% number sure wasn't reflected in any other poll.  I'd prefer wait for zogby to do something scientific, not roll with the findings of a FOX employee who gloats about his power of manipulation. 
anybody and everybody can do that even you 240 you probably do it everyday and dont even realize it.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »
Why do the candidates continue to let these wastes of organs moderate these little chit chats?

She did a shitty job.

She let ramblin Palin roll like a truck giving answers to questions not asked.  Again, and again, and again.

The job of a moderator is to narrow the issues in the form of a question/statement to elicit germane responses.

That did not happen.  She didn't drop the hammer when either one was unresponsive.

Why wasn't Jim Lehrer used?  hahahaha.  I knew I couldn't type that with a straight face.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »
She let palin get away with takling about whatever she wanted.

She knew that one polite 'please stay on topic, sarah' and she'd be branded a left-wing evildoer by FOX douchebags.

I have to agree. She did let Palin go OFF-Topic too many times.

I liked the fact that she called both candidates on the failure of their principals to address a question Lehrer asked
w

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 05:19:38 AM »
Moderators from both debates so far have a left slant to them, but both of them treated each candidate fairly.
Since there is a debate tomorrow night, I want to keep an eye out for the left slant of the moderator.

Could you tell me what to look for?

I mean what are the indicators/cues that tell me that the debate moderator is slanting to the left with his/her moderator duties?

Silly me, I thought Lehrer and Ifill were horrible, horrible moderators b/c they didn't moderate...they tossed out softballs and let the candidates ramble on about anything.

Around here at GB, that's viewed as fair.  In my world, that's more of the problem.