Author Topic: silly Q about GI index  (Read 1006 times)

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
silly Q about GI index
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »
we want to eat foods with LOW numbers (like, under 50?) on the GI index, in order to not get fat from the spike?  thanks!
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

BabyBallsMcgee

Re: silly Q about GI index
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
we want to eat foods with LOW numbers (like, under 50?) on the GI index, in order to not get fat from the spike?  thanks!
Not neccesarily fat. It just depends if your body needs the nutrients at the time or not. If you have gone too long with out carbs it might be best to get a fast burning carb. If you are constantly feeding yourself all day like onlyme though it is best to eat a low gi carb that will digest slowly and release energy slower. This is why people take high gi with bcaas during work outs. When you think about it carbohydrats are a poor fuel source. They burn up very quickly and when they are gone your body runs on protiens.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »
thanks mcgee.

so HIGH gi carbs in the morning, and before/after workouts?
and LOW GI carbs the rest of the time?

I've got the protein part (40 grams per meal, 6 per day, slow casein before bed) nailed down.
I've got the fat part down - healthy unsaturated and EFAs.

But I can't figure out the carbs - when to take low GI, when to take high GI, and when to mix. thanks!

BabyBallsMcgee

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:56:15 PM »
thanks mcgee.

so HIGH gi carbs in the morning, and before/after workouts?
and LOW GI carbs the rest of the time?

I've got the protein part (40 grams per meal, 6 per day, slow casein before bed) nailed down.
I've got the fat part down - healthy unsaturated and EFAs.

But I can't figure out the carbs - when to take low GI, when to take high GI, and when to mix. thanks!
Yes that's correct although when you are in a calorie defecit it almost really doesn't matter. I only take into account gi in the offseason.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 07:58:13 PM »
Yes that's correct although when you are in a calorie defecit it almost really doesn't matter. I only take into account gi in the offseason.

I'm all about eating high gi stuff- I live on bread, candy, etc.  I still look good- train my ass off, love protein, and do cardio.

But I think if I can nail down the carbs, it'll take me to next level.

BabyBallsMcgee

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »
I'm all about eating high gi stuff- I live on bread, candy, etc.  I still look good- train my ass off, love protein, and do cardio.

But I think if I can nail down the carbs, it'll take me to next level.
Indeed. Nutrient timing is a powerful tool.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »
I think that glycogenesis must be metabolically-costly if you never allow yourself to spill over.  That means you probably need to keep your carbs just low enough to keep them going into glycogen reserves without ever completely filling the glycogen reserves up.  Cycling carbs works wonders here.    

BabyBallsMcgee

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 08:06:54 PM »
I think that glycogenesis must be metabolically-costly if you never allow yourself to spill over.  That means you probably need to keep your carbs just low enough to keep them going into glycogen reserves without ever completely filling the glycogen reserves up.  Cycling carbs works wonders here.    
Meh i hate carb cycling during a diet. I like keeping them steady. It is easier on the mind when it gets into the pain zone but if he isn't doing a show it really doesn't matter as im sure 3% isn't his goal.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 11:26:41 PM »
The glycemic index has absolutely no impact on the results of a calorie deficit diet. This has been shown several times in many studies.
from incomplete data

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 11:29:54 PM »
The glycemic index has absolutely no impact on the results of a calorie deficit diet. This has been shown several times in many studies.

Yeah but it satiates in different ways.  Can't discount that. 

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 01:43:07 AM »
want to lower the gi of simple sugars dramatically?

consume fat, protein or fibre with them. eg. take some soluble fibre supplement with a high gi soft drink and you have a low gi drink.

don't get too focused on gi. you'll miss the point on what really matters, calories.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:31:11 AM »
Not neccesarily fat. It just depends if your body needs the nutrients at the time or not. If you have gone too long with out carbs it might be best to get a fast burning carb. If you are constantly feeding yourself all day like onlyme though it is best to eat a low gi carb that will digest slowly and release energy slower. This is why people take high gi with bcaas during work outs. When you think about it carbohydrats are a poor fuel source. They burn up very quickly and when they are gone your body runs on protiens.
is'nt fat the prefered energy source over protein?

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:17:34 AM »
want to lower the gi of simple sugars dramatically?

consume fat, protein or fibre with them. eg. take some soluble fibre supplement with a high gi soft drink and you have a low gi drink.

don't get too focused on gi. you'll miss the point on what really matters, calories.

really??

so like, an apple with mountain dew = sweet potato?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 04:25:24 AM »
really??

so like, an apple with mountain dew = sweet potato?

not quite, which was my point.

an apple + mountain dew will give you a glycemic index close to sweet potato but the total calories will be much greater with the former.