Author Topic: trans fat  (Read 712 times)

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
trans fat
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
Ok, shed some light on this for me. Everything we eat seems to have partially hydrogenated oils in it and I bet that most people on this board consumes them too. Now, I know they are mainly trans fats, what if the product I'm eating has the partially hydrogentated oils but no trans fat, how bad is it still on the body?
muscle

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: trans fat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:52 PM »
if its not a trans-fat then its not a trans-fat...plain and simple.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »
Ok, shed some light on this for me. Everything we eat seems to have partially hydrogenated oils in it and I bet that most people on this board consumes them too. Now, I know they are mainly trans fats, what if the product I'm eating has the partially hydrogentated oils but no trans fat, how bad is it still on the body?

Partially hydrogenated oil IS a trans fat.  There is absolutely no healthy reason to include anything in the diet that contains hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fat/oil.
:

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
I'm sure everyone here eats this stuff but why does it say in the ingrediants its in the product but there's no trans fat?
muscle

paul84

• Getbig II
  • Nuke 'em, Rico!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
I'm sure everyone here eats this stuff but why does it say in the ingrediants its in the product but there's no trans fat?

If it's fully hydrogenated, then it's a saturated fat.  Typically they'll write "partially hydrogenated" if it has trans fats, and hydrogenated if they took it all the way to a saturated fat.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
But if it says it has partially hydrogenated oils but in the nutrition colum has 0 trans fat and VERY low fat content in general, where's the trans fat? I'm confused by this
muscle

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:45:26 PM »
But if it says it has partially hydrogenated oils but in the nutrition colum has 0 trans fat and VERY low fat content in general, where's the trans fat? I'm confused by this

Food manufacturers are allowed to list amounts of trans fat with less than 0.5 gram (1/2 g) as 0 on the Nutrition Facts label.
: