Author Topic: Dieting Questions??  (Read 3659 times)

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
Dieting Questions??
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »
While counting carbs do you count veggies such as carrots, spinach, broccoli as carbs?

What frequency of cheat meals do you use, while dieting? 

Is one,hour and a half cardio session a week enough?

I figured to get better feedback I'd throw in a pic since I do not know what my current bf% is.

Thanks,
X

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Re: Dieting Questions??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »
yeah you should count the carbs from all of your food intake. 

you should try out palumbo's diet...heres what it looks like=

go zero/low carbs (only gett your carbs from a few servings of green leafys per day...dont go over 50 gms, and spread out your consumption of that limited amount throughout the day.). high protein, moderate fat.

6 meals per day at 50 g protein, 25 g healthy fats. i would try to stick to monounsaturated fats. limit your saturated fat intake to whatever is in your protein source, and keep your polyunsaturated to 3-6 g fish oil per day.

every few days throw in a high carb meal.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
X Factor you look good!
Just Curious? What does your diet look like now??

candidate2025, I agree Palumbo's diet is very good! In addition his prices are very reasonable!
O

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »

go zero/low carbs (only gett your carbs from a few servings of green leafys per day...dont go over 50 gms, and spread out your consumption of that limited amount throughout the day.). high protein, moderate fat.

6 meals per day at 50 g protein, 25 g healthy fats. i would try to stick to monounsaturated fats. limit your saturated fat intake to whatever is in your protein source, and keep your polyunsaturated to 3-6 g fish oil per day.

the higher the fish oil the better in terms of BMR.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »

the higher the fish oil the better in terms of BMR.
think so?  i have heard that dietary fishoil upregulates lipid metabolism...and that it improves insulin sensitivity....BUT t is a polyunsaturate and you definitely want to get more monounsaturated fats for hormonal reasons....polyunsaturat eds dont contribute at all to test levels.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:25 AM »

why is this...you have posted that before what is the benefit of doing that just wondering

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:28:40 AM »
X Factor you look good!
Just Curious? What does your diet look like now??

candidate2025, I agree Palumbo's diet is very good! In addition his prices are very reasonable!

No, I really am pretty unsatisfied with my look.  That may just be a lucky picture, to hide my flaws.  :)

Diet is 300 grams of protein (through chicken,eggs, whey,red meat, salmon, Tuna)
Carbs I am not sure.  I don't eat bread, just veggies and oatmeal in the morning. Also banans and strawberries.
Fats again does that need to be monitored.  Saturated I eat hardly any, but healthy I get through Salmon and Tuna.

Here's another shot exposing my true 31 year old flaws.  haha

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:19:49 AM »
think so?  i have heard that dietary fishoil upregulates lipid metabolism...and that it improves insulin sensitivity....BUT t is a polyunsaturate and you definitely want to get more monounsaturated fats for hormonal reasons....polyunsaturat eds dont contribute at all to test levels.

not really an issue, fish oil increases BMR, its a known fact.

i would go 10-15 grams when dieting.

insulin is more anabolic then test so improving sensitivity and adipose tissue lysis is more beneficial

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »
not really an issue, fish oil increases BMR, its a known fact.

i would go 10-15 grams when dieting.

insulin is more anabolic then test so improving sensitivity and adipose tissue lysis is more beneficial

10-15grams a day?  Fish oil.  Type?  Any particular brand?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 08:53:25 AM »
10-15grams a day?  Fish oil.  Type?  Any particular brand?

any good quality fish oil will do, liquid are usually better sources in an amber bottle to avoid the oil going rancid.

fish oil is nice for fat loss for sure.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:08:08 AM »
any good quality fish oil will do, liquid are usually better sources in an amber bottle to avoid the oil going rancid.

fish oil is nice for fat loss for sure.

Really, good stuff I'm on it.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
xfactor i really would suggest cutting out all your carbs for fat loss.   if you try dieting on moderate or low carbs, your going to be running on glucose still... and that means when your body goes looking for energy (when your in a caloric deficit) it will go looking for amino acids, NOT fatty acids.    which is definitely not the situation you want.      if you diet on zero carbs/moderate fat then once you run out of fat, your body will go looking for fatty acids to burn...not glucose or amino acids.

...just  do the cyclical ketogenic diet and throw in a high carb/low fat day every once in a while to keep youir glycogen up and your thyroid/test levels/protein synthesis all pumping.       

if you have a fast metabolism then i would suggest doing a carb spike every three to four days...if your slower than you could do one once a week.   it just depends on your body and how you react...     
d[-_-]b actin all cool

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
xfactor i really would suggest cutting out all your carbs for fat loss.   if you try dieting on moderate or low carbs, your going to be running on glucose still... and that means when your body goes looking for energy (when your in a caloric deficit) it will go looking for amino acids, NOT fatty acids.    which is definitely not the situation you want.      if you diet on zero carbs/moderate fat then once you run out of fat, your body will go looking for fatty acids to burn...not glucose or amino acids.

...just  do the cyclical ketogenic diet and throw in a high carb/low fat day every once in a while to keep youir glycogen up and your thyroid/test levels/protein synthesis all pumping.       

if you have a fast metabolism then i would suggest doing a carb spike every three to four days...if your slower than you could do one once a week.   it just depends on your body and how you react...     

What I'm not getting though, is when you say cutting out all carbs, what does that entail?  Are veggies, spinach, carrots, broc., etc.. considered carbs?

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
What I'm not getting though, is when you say cutting out all carbs, what does that entail?  Are veggies, spinach, carrots, broc., etc.. considered carbs?

well you should stay away from veggies on your zero carb days. but certain veggies have such a low glycemic load, and such a small amount of sugars, that they can be consumed in small amounts for the dietary fiber.  certainly carrots would not be allowed on the zero carb days. a small amount of broccoli, celery, or lettuce would be fine. uncooked whole green beans in a small amount as well. i would suggets eating them after your proteins and fats to slow digestion though.           

on palumbos diet,   his actual meal recommendations is this

meal one      50 grams protein 25 grams fat 10 grams carbs
meal two   repeat
meal three  repeat
meal four  repeat
meal five  repeat
meal six   repeat

so a small amount of a carb like celery broccoli or lettuce at each meal is allowed..   but i would watch it, becuase there are hidden carbs in eggs, nuts, and alot of other fat sources.

stick to monounsaturated fats if you try this out.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
well you should stay away from veggies on your zero carb days. but certain veggies have such a low glycemic load, and such a small amount of sugars, that they can be consumed in small amounts for the dietary fiber.  certainly carrots would not be allowed on the zero carb days. a small amount of broccoli, celery, or lettuce would be fine. uncooked whole green beans in a small amount as well. i would suggets eating them after your proteins and fats to slow digestion though.           

on palumbos diet,   his actual meal recommendations is this

meal one      50 grams protein 25 grams fat 10 grams carbs
meal two   repeat
meal three  repeat
meal four  repeat
meal five  repeat
meal six   repeat

so a small amount of a carb like celery broccoli or lettuce at each meal is allowed..   but i would watch it, becuase there are hidden carbs in eggs, nuts, and alot of other fat sources.

stick to monounsaturated fats if you try this out.

X, if you are eating that much protein and fats, you ABSOLUTELY BETTER eat a good amount of vegies. Stick with thick greens otherwise you will be backed up and making a lot of people unhappy in the room with you with your fart bombs.

Need that fiber bro with 300g protein, 125 g fat as outlined by Candi above!! Brocc, green beans, Salad with cucumbers, onions, red leaf lettuce...

Candi~ What is a hidden carb? Eggs? huh?? The amount is too small to make an impact on blood sugar, especailly with that much protein and fat.

Get EFA's as part of those fat totals too, not just mono sources, X!!!

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
X, if you are eating that much protein and fats, you ABSOLUTELY BETTER eat a good amount of vegies. Stick with thick greens otherwise you will be backed up and making a lot of people unhappy in the room with you with your fart bombs.

Need that fiber bro with 300g protein, 125 g fat as outlined by Candi above!! Brocc, green beans, Salad with cucumbers, onions, red leaf lettuce...

Candi~ What is a hidden carb? Eggs? huh?? The amount is too small to make an impact on blood sugar, especailly with that much protein and fat.

Get EFA's as part of those fat totals too, not just mono sources, X!!!

i agree with all of this.

but just watch out for how much of the greens you get. on yoru zero carb days you dont want to get enough carbs to be used as energy.     

busy b...   1 gram of carb per egg... 5 whole eggs to get 25 grams of fat for one meal, plus the 6 egg whites left to make it to 50 grams of protien.. thats about 8 grams of carbs. only enough room left for maybe one serving of greens.   

d[-_-]b actin all cool

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »

but just watch out for how much of the greens you get. on yoru zero carb days you dont want to get enough carbs to be used as energy.     

busy b...   1 gram of carb per egg... 5 whole eggs to get 25 grams of fat for one meal, plus the 6 egg whites left to make it to 50 grams of protien.. thats about 8 grams of carbs. only enough room left for maybe one serving of greens.   

However Candi, when you eat that much protein and that much fat, there is no way you will have an insulin spike from a fiberous carb.

One serving of greens is fine, he needs to poop for Chirst sake!  :-\

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »
However Candi, when you eat that much protein and that much fat, there is no way you will have an insulin spike from a fiberous carb.

One serving of greens is fine, he needs to poop for Chirst sake!  :-\
lol.     
d[-_-]b actin all cool

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
Wait, re-read what I wrote and meant one serving per meal. NOT just one serving a day X..then you won't poop :'(

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
Wait, re-read what I wrote and meant one serving per meal. NOT just one serving a day X..then you won't poop :'(

Good info, thanks a lot!!I agree I have tried no carbs at all (no greens inc.) and that was tough!!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »

most people that advocate carb cycling agree that you can eat as many veggies as is within reason. to say no veggies is retarded as the fiber will make the insulin spike nill, and they provide so many nutrients.

i dont agree with cutting out one macro anyway, unless its in a cycle approach.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »
most people that advocate carb cycling agree that you can eat as many veggies as is within reason. to say no veggies is retarded as the fiber will make the insulin spike nill, and they provide so many nutrients.

i dont agree with cutting out one macro anyway, unless its in a cycle approach.
i dont believe in comepletely cutting out carbs. but i dont believe in permanantly keeping them in, either. i am a fan of the ckd for both cutting and bulking. i think you need to control and manipulate insulin..and use it sparingly as an anabolic hormone that it is.   
d[-_-]b actin all cool