Author Topic: to anyone who believes the '1 hour post workout' myth  (Read 6347 times)

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
to anyone who believes the '1 hour post workout' myth
« on: January 13, 2009, 06:11:53 AM »
top 10 post workout myths

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths

There’s a one-hour window of opportunity for protein synthesis following a workout.

You may be wondering: is this a myth because the real window is half an hour? Two or 3 hours? Maybe 6 hours? Sadly, in the past 2 weeks I’ve read different articles, all suggesting that the "window" is one of the above lengths of time.

It’s not surprising that with this type of inconsistency that this is probably the most pervasive myth in bodybuilding today! Worse yet, it stems directly from the scientific research itself. The most often cited research on the protein synthetic post workout window, used elderly subjects (Esmark et al., 2001) and cardio exercise findings (Levenhagen et al., 2001) to make their predictions. While this is a completely acceptable practice when these are the only data we have to go on, there are a couple noteworthy problems.

Elderly individuals digest and absorb protein differently than healthy adults. In fact, they digest and absorb whey protein in a similar manner as they do casein (Dangin et al., 2003); in other words they have slow digestion and absorption for whey. Elderly also benefit from having 80% of their daily protein consumed at a single sitting (Arnal et al., 1999), in contrast to the benefits of our multiple feedings.

Additionally, the traditionally referenced Esmark et al. (2001), study showed that consuming the post workout meal just 2 hours after working out actually prevented any improvements induced by the training! Figure that one out and you get a prize.

Secondly, with regards to cardio…well, let’s just say that there’s an obvious difference between how our muscles respond to the two forms of exercise. Bear in mind that with regard to carbohydrate metabolism following a workout, there might not be much of a difference—we just don’t know, but certainly the long-term protein metabolism differences can be seen.

So now what are we supposed to base our nutrition on? Enter the most underrated scientific paper in the last 5 years. Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.

Strike one for the one hour post workout window.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: to anyone who believes the '1 hour post workout' myth
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:15:56 AM »
why is it that 90 percent of these so called experts who don't believe in PWO supplements are skinny. ::)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:38:56 AM »
why is it that 90 percent of these so called experts who don't believe in PWO supplements are skinny. ::)

Why is it that you claim to know sth about nutrition yet you are so fat?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »

I would argue that it's usually the skinny guys who insist on the postworkout cocktails consumed exactly 30s after you finish training.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
I was at 7-11 yesterday to grab a Muscle Milk shake and there was this old lady in front of me, taking all fucking day staring thruogh the glass at all the dairy products. I looked down at my watch and realized i was at 57 minutes post-workout, so I grabbed that old hag by the collar, through her across the aisle and got my shake.

That was a close one.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:14 AM »
I was at 7-11 yesterday to grab a Muscle Milk shake and there was this old lady in front of me, taking all fucking day staring thruogh the glass at all the dairy products. I looked down at my watch and realized i was at 57 minutes post-workout, so I grabbed that old hag by the collar, through her across the aisle and got my shake.

That was a close one.

Your a lucky man!!!!!  Any longer and you would of started losing muscle by the second.  Don't ever cut it that close again!

J Grey

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »

why is it that you're obese?

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry²
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
Studies have shown that being so obsessed with post workout nutrition makes you more susceptible to homosexuality...

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:02:59 AM »

That was a close one.
:D

too bad you guys don't speak romanian cause I'd tape some conversations in the locker ...hahahaha

it's absolutely hillarious

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »
:D

too bad you guys don't speak romanian cause I'd tape some conversations in the locker ...hahahaha

it's absolutely hillarious

subtitle?

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry²
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22:56 AM »
subtitle?

It's probably just a bunch of peasants stood around discussing the merits of rat meat over donkey testicles.....

::)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »

Looks like someone got their wittle feelings hurt.....hahahaha

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

That was a close one.

Whew!!!  Had me worried for a second.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
Typical post workout conversation :

" You on anything man ?

I was on Milk'n'egg untill recently but I am giving my body a break

Did you try animal pak ?

nOOO...I don't wanna overdo it..saving my liver "

(not kidding)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure J Grey is not obese. His diet consists mostly of fresh cum and twinkies.
from incomplete data

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure J Grey is not obese. His diet consists mostly of fresh cum and twinkies.

he's obese

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »

I don’t know about the skinny part. But some folks here act as if it’s some laborious undertaking to drink a protein shake after training.

Downing a shake takes all of what, 60 SECONDS (if that) to mix and consume? And, the mixing part is eliminated, if you have an RTD handy.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »
if i am working i always eat immediately after training before work.

if i am not sometimes it might be 2 or more hours depends. Though generally i would be hungy anway

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »
Great article

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
from incomplete data

aliamini

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm that damn good
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
i said that long time back

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=241190.50

Facts:

If you eat 3 meals a day and train then introduce a protein shake post workout … you will likely to get more muscular after a period of time … the reason is not post workout shake … it is the increase in the amount of protein intake per day … That is how people get muscular and regular athlete should take in 1g/lbs of body mass (or lean body mass) body builders tend to take more according to their goals

If you eat 5-6 meals a day they will be abut 3 hours apart … which will keep nutrients constant and in the blood … and with blood sugar at a balanced level through out the day it will be very hard for the body to release cortisol … cause usually when it is time for your other meal you still haven’t fully digested the previous meal … and that is exactly what happens during training … while you should train 1 ½ - 2 hour after a meal you will still be digesting that meal while you are training … meaning you will not lack any nutrient to release cortisol … however when you wake up in the morning and slept for like 8 hours and didn’t eat for 9 or so … this is when you have cortisol released … yet if you had a very big meal the night before … you wont get cortisol and you will wake up and feel your stomach is still full of food …

This is all for a person who is eating right … not only if he thinks he is eating right but rather an actual correct bodybuilding diet … and that is usually excludes fructose and lactose … cause the body cant use either of them as a course of energy …

For sustaining protein synthesis BCAA, Lucien or the more potent HMB should be used … increasing amount of protein will only lead to increase in BUN (blood urea nitrogen) & uric acid to name a few … however HMB at a sufficient amount has proven to reduce not meaning it hold the protein synthesis cause BUN is the protein waste … meaning less BUN indicates less protein has been broken down

Studies:

As I said before … plus … you should know the complete diet of the subject whom have been tested … if 200lb guy thinks he is athletic and doctors tell him so … while he eats only 100g protein per day … he will definitely make gain when take an additional 100 post work out or for that matter any time of the day … has anyone done a study on a person who actually eats 6 balanced meals … and not just by saying that but by actually posting his diet … and then carry on the actual test??? Most of the people who think the are eating right they don’t … and amount and type through out a day is more important that timing … once they achieve that … then you they should try to try different thing with timing and certain types of supplements

My recommendation:

First of all try to make you diet right and eat sufficient amount of protein ... and take out all the fructose and lactose from your diet … then if you want to have a shake post workout then fine … but keep in mind post workout shake is different that during workout shake … and if you are actually looking to loose body far you should stop the glucose and all the fast acting carbs + limit the amount of total carb that you eat … glucose tends to bloat you stomach and make it very hard to trim body fat … so in this case you figure what is the best choise for a post work out … they shakes were designed for people who cant eat … so when you have the appetite and can eat … why go for a shake … again the protein and carb will be constant if you diet is right

Take a protein shake with fast acting carb post workout:

When you stop training … it’s the beginning of the end of your super blood flow and pump … so if you were to take a fast acting carb with creating and some form of amino acids … that should have been done when your blood flow was at its peak … so best timing for that would be ½ way through your workout … that is the time when your red blood cells are rushing in your muscle carrying oxygen and all types of nutrients … so that is the ultimate time (which actually is logical and makes sense) to take the fast acting carb … the next meals time has already due by end of your training and you still haven’t digested you previous meal  completely … so it wont be an issue if the post workout meal took some time to digest … beef itself take around 24 hour to completely digest and get stored … so if you are eating beef and chicken every day … again with a proper diet and sufficient amount of total carb and protein for your goal … you will be sake

I am not here to prove anything ... I just want everyone to makes use of the info as I am not marketing any brand or franchise … but read with an open mind and don’t get hypnotized by ads or studies that has been done years ago or by people who think just cause they are doctors they know everything … again the experiment subject are a big part in that … just cause some one is good at a sport or muscular doesn’t mean he is eating right or know what he is doing

DX

robins

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »
I dont' use protein shakes. I wanna stay naturel.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 01:54:51 AM »
I dont' use protein shakes. I wanna stay naturel.

good for you. these protein shakes are like steroids.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 02:25:47 AM »
i said that long time back

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=241190.50

Facts:

If you eat 3 meals a day and train then introduce a protein shake post workout … you will likely to get more muscular after a period of time … the reason is not post workout shake … it is the increase in the amount of protein intake per day … That is how people get muscular and regular athlete should take in 1g/lbs of body mass (or lean body mass) body builders tend to take more according to their goals

If you eat 5-6 meals a day they will be abut 3 hours apart … which will keep nutrients constant and in the blood … and with blood sugar at a balanced level through out the day it will be very hard for the body to release cortisol … cause usually when it is time for your other meal you still haven’t fully digested the previous meal … and that is exactly what happens during training … while you should train 1 ½ - 2 hour after a meal you will still be digesting that meal while you are training … meaning you will not lack any nutrient to release cortisol … however when you wake up in the morning and slept for like 8 hours and didn’t eat for 9 or so … this is when you have cortisol released … yet if you had a very big meal the night before … you wont get cortisol and you will wake up and feel your stomach is still full of food …

This is all for a person who is eating right … not only if he thinks he is eating right but rather an actual correct bodybuilding diet … and that is usually excludes fructose and lactose … cause the body cant use either of them as a course of energy …

For sustaining protein synthesis BCAA, Lucien or the more potent HMB should be used … increasing amount of protein will only lead to increase in BUN (blood urea nitrogen) & uric acid to name a few … however HMB at a sufficient amount has proven to reduce not meaning it hold the protein synthesis cause BUN is the protein waste … meaning less BUN indicates less protein has been broken down

Studies:

As I said before … plus … you should know the complete diet of the subject whom have been tested … if 200lb guy thinks he is athletic and doctors tell him so … while he eats only 100g protein per day … he will definitely make gain when take an additional 100 post work out or for that matter any time of the day … has anyone done a study on a person who actually eats 6 balanced meals … and not just by saying that but by actually posting his diet … and then carry on the actual test??? Most of the people who think the are eating right they don’t … and amount and type through out a day is more important that timing … once they achieve that … then you they should try to try different thing with timing and certain types of supplements

My recommendation:

First of all try to make you diet right and eat sufficient amount of protein ... and take out all the fructose and lactose from your diet … then if you want to have a shake post workout then fine … but keep in mind post workout shake is different that during workout shake … and if you are actually looking to loose body far you should stop the glucose and all the fast acting carbs + limit the amount of total carb that you eat … glucose tends to bloat you stomach and make it very hard to trim body fat … so in this case you figure what is the best choise for a post work out … they shakes were designed for people who cant eat … so when you have the appetite and can eat … why go for a shake … again the protein and carb will be constant if you diet is right

Take a protein shake with fast acting carb post workout:

When you stop training … it’s the beginning of the end of your super blood flow and pump … so if you were to take a fast acting carb with creating and some form of amino acids … that should have been done when your blood flow was at its peak … so best timing for that would be ½ way through your workout … that is the time when your red blood cells are rushing in your muscle carrying oxygen and all types of nutrients … so that is the ultimate time (which actually is logical and makes sense) to take the fast acting carb … the next meals time has already due by end of your training and you still haven’t digested you previous meal  completely … so it wont be an issue if the post workout meal took some time to digest … beef itself take around 24 hour to completely digest and get stored … so if you are eating beef and chicken every day … again with a proper diet and sufficient amount of total carb and protein for your goal … you will be sake

I am not here to prove anything ... I just want everyone to makes use of the info as I am not marketing any brand or franchise … but read with an open mind and don’t get hypnotized by ads or studies that has been done years ago or by people who think just cause they are doctors they know everything … again the experiment subject are a big part in that … just cause some one is good at a sport or muscular doesn’t mean he is eating right or know what he is doing

DX

What kind of syringes are best for protein shakes?