Author Topic: Tis the Season  (Read 2636 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Tis the Season
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:38:14 AM »

Taken at the first sign of a sniffle knocks it right out!
:

newmom

Re: Tis the Season
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:39:25 AM »
Ugh I was sick last month, once it finally stopped a week later sick again.

I like Zicam but hear Airbourne works wonders

Get well soon

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:46:50 AM »
Ugh I was sick last month, once it finally stopped a week later sick again.

I like Zicam but hear Airbourne works wonders

Get well soon
Sorry to hear that.

I haven't been sick and attribute it to Airborne which got rid of 2 potential bouts.
:

newmom

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:48:07 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

I haven't been sick and attribute it to Airborne which got rid of 2 potential bouts.

first time I was sick all year

Love the avatar, me and peanut watched that movie last night and still makes me laugh after all these years

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »
I figured a mod would be more savvy than to fall for a snake oil like this... it does nothing... all marketing...

"The company that made "Airborne," -- a supposed remedy for colds -- have settled a lawsuit brought by customers who were upset to learn that the "clinical trials" that proved that it worked were faked. If you bought any of this snake-oil, you can get some money back:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/04/fake-cold-remedy-air.html

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
never thought charlie brown was all that funny

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
I figured a mod would be more savvy than to fall for a snake oil like this... it does nothing... all marketing...

"The company that made "Airborne," -- a supposed remedy for colds -- have settled a lawsuit brought by customers who were upset to learn that the "clinical trials" that proved that it worked were faked. If you bought any of this snake-oil, you can get some money back:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/04/fake-cold-remedy-air.html

I don't believe it's snake oil at all.  It's a blend of Vitamin C, A, E, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Magnesium, Riboflavin, Amino Acids, Echinacea and other herbs.  Does it get rid of an existing cold? No. Its not a cold remedy, but it does help boost the immune system.  It works for me and dozens of others I know.
:

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
I prefer Emergen C...very similar and better bang for the buck......

If you call them directly they used to send out free samples...

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
I don't believe it's snake oil at all.  It's a blend of Vitamin C, A, E, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Magnesium, Riboflavin, Amino Acids, Echinacea and other herbs.  Does it get rid of an existing cold? No. Its not a cold remedy, but it does help boost the immune system.  It works for me and dozens of others I know.

None of those ingredients you listed have been clinically proven to help colds... especially in the small doses that Airborne provides.  Hell, the only thing Vit C does in mega doses is provide a slight antihistamine effect...

Take a good multivitamin.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
None of those ingredients you listed have been clinically proven to help colds... especially in the small doses that Airborne provides.  Hell, the only thing Vit C does in mega doses is provide a slight antihistamine effect...

Take a good multivitamin.

Of course not  ;) and likely never will
:

jordyb80

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 06:07:43 AM »
Has anyone read the latest study on echinecea...I swear I get some results from it.  Maybe its all in my mind...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 08:13:38 PM »
Has anyone read the latest study on echinecea...I swear I get some results from it.  Maybe its all in my mind...

Do you have a link on the study you're referring to?

I don't think it's a placebo effect at all, but the most recent published study (Dec.'10) differs.

Whether or not echinacea helps prevent or treat the common cold remains under debate. Some studies have shown that the herb can make you feel better faster. Others suggest that echinacea has no impact on a cold at all. Several clinical trials have shown that people who take echinacea as soon as they feel sick reduce the severity of their cold and have fewer symptoms than those who do not take the herb. One study of 95 people with early symptoms of cold and flu (such as runny nose, scratchy throat, and fever), found that those who drank several cups of echinacea tea every day for 5 days felt better sooner than those who drank tea without echinacea.

A review of 14 clinical trials found that echinacea reduced the odds of developing a cold by 58% and the duration of a cold by 1 - 4 days. However, some experts dispute these findings claiming that there were several weaknesses in the analyses. Echinacea preparations tested in clinical trials differ greatly. It is important to choose a high quality echinacea supplement.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/echinacea-000239.htm

flipside

Echinacea for Treating the Common Cold
A Randomized Trial
http://www.annals.org/content/153/12/769.full.pdf+html
:

jordyb80

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
I believe that was the same study I read