Author Topic: The Anabolic Diet  (Read 4214 times)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
The Anabolic Diet
« on: July 21, 2006, 12:29:08 AM »
Does anyone have any opinions on the Anabolic Diet? 

Thanks,
Ben

The Anabolic Diet

The basis of the Anabolic Diet is to carb-deplete during the weekdays, then carb-load on the weekends. This involves 5 days of high fat, high protein, low carbs and 2 days of high carbs, moderate fat, and low protein. This diet was developed by Dr. Mauro Dipasquale. Dipasquale is a former world-class powerlifter who won the World championships in powerlifting in 1976 and won the world games in 1981. Currently, he works for World Wrestling Federation as their medical director and drug program advisor. He is also the medical review officer for the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR). Dipasquale holds honors in biological science and a medical degree from the University of Toronto.

This diet drastically goes against everything we have been taught to believe about nutrition. You must have an open mind when you read about this diet. Dipasquale has researched this subject diligently and does a masterful fob of supporting his claims. This diet differ s from the typical high protein, high fat diet. This is not the Protein Power Plan or the Atkin's Diet. Those diets were designed for weight loss only. This diet was designed for the bodybuilder. The goal is to gain muscle and drop body fat. Anyone can use the diet, but it works better with an exercise program. Dipasquale developed the diet to act as an alternative to drug use. With the Anabolic diet the anabolic hormones in the body are maximized. The diet maximizes testosterone, growth hormone, and insulin levels.

These hormones are powerful in relation to muscular growth. The problem with high carb diets is that they promote high insulin levels, but reduce testosterone and growth hormone levels. Chronically high insulin levels also attribute to increased bodyfat.

The weekdays of this diet promote optimal testosterone and growth hormone levels, while the weekend carb-load promotes maximum insulin levels. You, are now probably saying to yourself there is no way eating fat will help me lose bodyfat. Contrary, to popular belief this is what happens. If your body receives small amounts of fat, this is what happens. If your body receives small amounts of fat it will hang on to it's bodyfat.

The body senses it will not receive adequate dietary fat so it will preserve the fat it has. Fat is not the villain the media portrays it to be.

Excessive carbohydrate consumption should be the enemy, not fat. When high levels of carbohydrates are consistently consumed stored bodyfat is the result. Carbohydrates are stored in the muscle and liver as glycogen, when the muscle and liver overflow increased bodyfat is the result.

Virtually everyone on planet earth consumes too many carbohydrates. Carbohydrates serve as the bodies first source of fuel. When carbs are abundantly high, there is no reason to burn fat for energy; therefore bodyfat is preserved. The lowfat food madness is at it's all time high. Low fat foods have skyrocketed in sales during the last few years, but there are more obese people now than ever before. This should ring a bell in society's ears; excess carbs are bad. Without carbohydrates the body will have no energy, report some nutritional experts.

Dr. Dipasquale states this is true until our bodies make the metabolic shift. The metabolic shift takes place when the body is making the transition from being a carb-burning machine to being a fat burning machine. Once the body makes the shift stored bodyfat will be the bodies primary source of fuel. When this takes place energy levels will be back to normal. In some cases individuals report that they have more e energy than ever. The first week is the hardest week of the diet. This is when the body is going through the metabolic shift. The third day is usually when people begin to feel fatigued, light-headed or drowsy.

Do not panic, this is normal. Once your body adjusts to the new eating plan you will feel fine. Resist the temptation to stuff yourself with carbs when you begin to feel exhausted. If you stuff your body with carbs then you have to start all over again. The weekdays allow you a maximum of 30 carbs per day.

Be sure to watch out for trace carbs. When the weekend arrives you will consume large amounts of carbs which will shuttle amino acids to the muscles. It is recommended that you have a physical before beginning the diet. Dipasquale also recommends certain supplements to be used in conjunction with this diet. Many nutritionist s will recommend against low carb diets, because of their potential side effects. Dipasquale has reported that he has found no negative health effects with athletes using his diet.

In my opinion, this diet yields results. I have found this to be the best diet I have ever used for losing bodyfat and retaining muscle. It is difficult to put on a great deal of mass for some people with this diet due to the large quantity of food needed. If you would like to try the diet you need to purchase the diet before starting the eating plan. The book provides scientific evidence, tables, charts, foods to eat, and a complete overview of the diets format. This book will open your eyes to a new concept on eating. This book is especially valuable to bodybuilders. The book is titled THE ANABOLIC DIET by Dipasquale.

S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
Re: The Anabolic Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 05:47:23 PM »
Princess L, Jaguar?  Where are you? lol
S

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 08:12:51 PM »
It looks like a basic CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) for which there are several out there.  UD2 (Lyle McDonald) is more recent / updated albiet just as tough.  CKD's are NOT for the beginner dieter.  It takes experience in setting up a diet and understanding the basics to be successful on a CKD.
:

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:19:46 PM »
Ok, THANK YOU!
S

pushinweightwi

• Getbig III
  • One man's trash, is another man's treasure.BSpears
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 01:42:43 PM »
Kinda similar to Body Opus?

conan1071

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:00:02 PM »
i actually did this diet a few years back when dipasquale released the book.

during the week i ate the following in large quantities

ground beef in mayo and mustard
whole eggs
sausage
cottage cheese
full fat cheese
etc.

come weekends i would gorge on carbs( i was a bouncer at a nightclub then and would start the carbs at 5:30 am on my way home from the club)
donuts
ice cream with chocolate chips and peanut butter
pasta- lots
pizza
pancakes
masked potatoes
etc.

lifted 4 days/week, cardio 3days.weeks
lost 40 pounds and maintained muscle

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 09:02:54 PM »
I followed this diet to a "T" in 1996-97 and it did not work well for me.  During the week (no-carbs) I barely had enough energy to complete my workouts.  Intense leg workouts completely wiped me out.  My training partner told me I looked pale/sick during our workouts... I guess I looked exactly how I felt.

During the weekend (carb loading period) I always felt sleepy.  After eating I needed to take 1-2 hour naps due to the insulin rush.  I also experienced severe moods swings.  I did lose some fat, but I didn't really grow at all.  My muscles always looked and felt flat, except when working out.

Conclusion:  You need carbs for training intensity, muscle fullness and growth.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 09:17:32 PM »
Kinda similar to Body Opus?

Yes

I followed this diet to a "T" in 1996-97 and it did not work well for me.  During the week (no-carbs) I barely had enough energy to complete my workouts.  Intense leg workouts completely wiped me out.  My training partner told me I looked pale/sick during our workouts... I guess I looked exactly how I felt.

During the weekend (carb loading period) I always felt sleepy.  After eating I needed to take 1-2 hour naps due to the insulin rush.  I also experienced severe moods swings.  I did lose some fat, but I didn't really grow at all.  My muscles always looked and felt flat, except when working out.

It can take awhile to figure out what kind of carbs work best for a carb load, timing the workouts, etc. and it can be a real pain while trying to figure it all out.   I do alright on low carbs, but like you, the carb ups are hell.  Works well for many tho.
:

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »
Should I take a fiber supplement while following this diet?
S

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »

Not only is your energy low for workouts, but everything else as well. You are like a walking zombie by the end of the week. I think I only made it two weeks.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 02:32:46 PM »
i actually did this diet a few years back when dipasquale released the book.

during the week i ate the following in large quantities

ground beef in mayo and mustard
whole eggs
sausage
cottage cheese
full fat cheese
etc.

come weekends i would gorge on carbs( i was a bouncer at a nightclub then and would start the carbs at 5:30 am on my way home from the club)
donuts
ice cream with chocolate chips and peanut butter
pasta- lots
pizza
pancakes
masked potatoes
etc.

lifted 4 days/week, cardio 3days.weeks
lost 40 pounds and maintained muscle

Picture of health!