Author Topic: From Man to Beast. Working towards a 300kg deadlift  (Read 53645 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 500lb raw squat Page 6
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
dude?

hows his foot. pm me?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »
Oh, yes, today I was doing some delts and had planned to do some triceps.

Hit the log again and put up 110kg. I'd love to manage 130 before the year is out. Going to gradually work things up. Anyways, yesterday I was benching and felt a tiny pull in the lateral head of my left triceps. Finished my workout and it felt ok today. I started training with the log then after the I did some seated dumbells and pretty much finished it at that. My triceps started getting pretty tender again, so I thought it best to leave any triceps work. I'll leave it to rest for a few days and hit squats again tomorrow.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
What's the difference between Olympic squat and regular squat? Olympic squat narrower stance?

Relatively narrow stance, feet pointed outward slightly, bar high on back, and squat. Look at how this guy is positioned at the bottom of the clean and jerk movement:

Of course the weight will be on your back. The idea is basically to get the legs out of the way of the torso and to better center the weight over your feet. You can only sit so far back in a squat before you fall over but in an oly squat you go straight down. It brings a whole new meaning to "ass to grass." ;)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
Relatively narrow stance, feet pointed outward slightly, bar high on back, and squat. Look at how this guy is positioned at the bottom of the clean and jerk movement:

Of course the weight will be on your back. The idea is basically to get the legs out of the way of the torso and to better center the weight over your feet. You can only sit so far back in a squat before you fall over but in an oly squat you go straight down. It brings a whole new meaning to "ass to grass." ;)

Nice, I may do my warm up sets Olympic style and then do my working sets as usual. Would there be any benefit to this?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
Squats went very well today. Warmed up mixing in some Olympic squats. In my working sets I further lowered the bar on my back a few sets in and it made a world of difference. I think I'm going to squat with the bar much lower from now on. Feels solid.

I've got a bad stiffness in my back. Around the lower thoracic vertebrae. Feels like a couple of them have locked together or something. Only painful when I arch my back and I don't think it's an injury. Going to get it checked out. Just feels like it really needs a good crack to knock it back into place. I got my girlfriend to stand on it earlier. Didn't work. She's not heavy enough. lol

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2009, 10:01:45 PM »
Squats look good, but some feds might call that borderline.

This is how i teach people to squat.

Great work!

I think Mikhail is a PERFECT example of squat and deadlift form.

Notice the grip on deadlifts. :)

8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »
Misha is perfect example of how to lift anything, haha!

Yes, the Oly squats will help as a warmup. Try that and try some heavier sets as well. See if it does for you what it does for some others. When I started squatting that way my whole form changed a bit.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
Squats look good, but some feds might call that borderline.

This is how i teach people to squat.

Great work!

I think Mikhail is a PERFECT example of squat and deadlift form.

Notice the grip on deadlifts. :)

8)

Nice, thanks for the videos. Dude is a beast. Lower back must be unbelievably strong to hold that form with the bar so high on his back

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2009, 03:16:34 PM »
Misha is perfect example of how to lift anything, haha!

Yes, the Oly squats will help as a warmup. Try that and try some heavier sets as well. See if it does for you what it does for some others. When I started squatting that way my whole form changed a bit.

Will throw them in during my warm up. Won't put them in during working sets as I don't want to disrupt this cycle too much. Next cycle I think I'll drop them in somewhere  8)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2009, 02:42:25 AM »
Just a brief update. Training has hit a snag the last few days, which is unfortunate, seeing as I started the week well, getting up at 0615 and training before university.

I've got some sort of throat infection. My sister had glandular fever the last few weeks and I was watching football in the living room where she had spent all day vegetating on the couch, so the room would have been full of EBV. lol. I just really hope I haven't got it. Symptoms to date, sore throat, sore head, exhausted all the time and I think my eyebrows are beginning to swell  :-\ No glands have swollen yet, so I'm still hopeful it's just a bad head cold. Could even be swine flu  :D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »
Get well soon!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2009, 04:36:03 AM »
Get well soon!

Thanks man. I've woken up today and it's obviously got into my chest. Coughing up the green now  8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2009, 04:49:51 AM »
That sucks.  I hope you feel better soon!
:)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
That sucks.  I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Rip.

Today I hadn't planned to train. I had university and then came home and started studying again. I was due to be in the hospital in the afternoon but gave it a miss as it's recommended we aren't on the wards if we are ill.

Anywhoooo...sitting studying and my back is sore and basically I'm fed up and need to clear my head. Decided to train. It was tough, any set with more than 4 reps and I was feeling gassed. Managed to get through the whole chest back workout, doing what I had planned and my back feels so much better for it. Just glad to have given myself some time away from the books. I plan on getting up at 6am tomorrow to study and may make it to the gym for legs and lower back in the evening.

Blogged a few times in the last few days as well if anyone is interested.

http://www.burn-to-live-live-to-burn.blogspot.com/

That is all  8)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Training is trundling along really well at the moment. Did some accessory work today, hit my delts and tris mainly. Threw in some good mornings at the end. They are going really well for me. Working sets are up to 122.5kg now. Heavier than I've ever gone before on them

Squats and lower back tomorrow. Should be fun  :-X

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
good to see the training is going well bro!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »
good to see the training is going well bro!

Thanks man!  :) Squats etc didn't quite happen today. Woke up late and had to visit home seeing as it was my dad's birthday. Tbh I welcome the rest. Started studying at 1230 and finished at 2300. Productive day in terms of studying. Looking forward to getting into the gym tomorrow

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
Squats went well today. 150kg working sets and have been working the Olympic squats into my warm up.
Followed up with rack pulls
Reverse hypers
Abs

I had planned to get a few videos today, but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity seeing as the gym was so busy. Maybe I'll get one tomorrow

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
how'd it all turn out today? getting back the old numbers or close?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2009, 04:06:26 AM »
how'd it all turn out today? getting back the old numbers or close?

I'm taking things nice and slowly. Rack pulls just at 180kg plus bands, but it was from my sticking point and after squats so they were a little tough. I think by the end of the summer I will hopefully have exceeded everything previous, apart from my deadlift. I'm taking it slowly in order to get a big peak. Ideally I want 300kg raw by the end of the year. If I can stay injury free I feel that's a realistic possibility.

I'm forming a few goals in my head
Squat 500lb before the summer is out, as for the end of the year, 250kg (550lb) would be nice, but a little optimistic I know
Deadlift 300kg (660lb) before the year is out
Power jerk 300lb before the year is out
Chin 50kg (110lb) before the year is out
Bench 150-155kg (330-341lb) before the year is out
I'd also like to get up to sets of 10 with 110lb incline dumbell

All at ~230-235lb bw, raw and drug free

Now that I'm a bit older I can feel my joints have settled a bit and my ligaments have stiffened up, this has definitely helped my technique in a few things, so hopefully that continues

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2009, 12:54:18 AM »
strong shit right there, good luck with your goals.

do you still think you will move on to strongman comps in the future?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2009, 02:24:36 AM »
strong shit right there, good luck with your goals.

do you still think you will move on to strongman comps in the future?

I've been talking to my coach about that and I think that will probably be the case. It's just that we have a lack of strongman equipment at the moment  :(

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
Just in from the gym. Hadn't planned on training today seeing as I have an exam tomorrow. I had one this morning as well though and needed to get into the gym and clear my head a bit.

Power Jerk (Nearly broke my jaw with the bar on this, which is good, explosiveness is something I'm working on for these  :) )
Seated DB Shoulder Press
Close grip bench
A few goodmornings thrown in at the end

Short and sweet

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
Haven't posted in this for a while because my life has been taken over by exams. Done four, just another one to do next week and I'm off for the summer. Today

Bench
Chin
Dip
Wide Lat Pull Down
Incline Db
Biceps curls for a laugh

Bench is feeling quite good and my squats are continuing to go up as well. My lower back is holding out too. Happy enough all round  :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
get under the pullup bar!!