Author Topic: From Man to Beast. Working towards a 300kg deadlift  (Read 53661 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast (Hopefully)
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
good to hear ur back mate.

mt training was ficked today/ weights ok but was so cold. i forgot my locker key and was in a t shirt was fecking freezing lol

Hope you weren't benching. Your fucking nipples would have shattered against the bar. lmao

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »
Today was another good day on the training front.

I had my microanatomy and anatomy exam today. The microanatomy was ok. The anatomy was really fucking hard  :'( I was feeling kinda depressed after the exam and also really tired from lack of sleep, so I treated myself to a subway. I shouldn't have, but sure, it was great  ;D

Went to train an hour afterwards. The usual really. Deadlifted 300lb again today. Go me. lol. My bench is still shit, though it has always been poor and I'm just going to let it build gradually. Squatted as well today. 107.5kg 10x5 sub 9 minutes and I didn't go balls to the wall, so they are coming along nicely. I'm considering squatting again tomorrow, but I'll need to see how I feel at the time.

Out of interest I weighed myself after the workout. In shorts, t shirt, cons I came in at 107.6kg, about 236lb. I'd guess in the morning when I'm dry and in underwear I'd come in sub 105kg, about 231lb. I still have quite a bit of fat to lose, but I'm feeling healthy, so that's the main thing. By the end of next week I should have a hint of abs.

I am considering throwing a little cardio in, but I think I run the risk of overtraining then, considering the frequency and intensity I'm squatting with. Anyone's input would be appreciated  :)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2009, 12:51:51 PM »
if you feel good tomorro man could i suggest maybe not squatting and just waiting till sat or sunday?

days break will help heal etc...just my thoughts.

glad to see things going well again

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
if you feel good tomorro man could i suggest maybe not squatting and just waiting till sat or sunday?

days break will help heal etc...just my thoughts.

glad to see things going well again

Thanks man

Hmm, I have a chance to sleep in tomorrow so I'll be well rested and it will definitely be tempting to squat. I'm considering it. I'm defo going to leave out the lower back rehab stuff tomorrow since my LB feels so tired this evening. That would mean just some triceps and delts tomorrow. Squatting could be a possibility, with a little cardio on the ergo afterwards...

I'm thinking once I get to 120kg squat one day on, one off. At the moment it is turning out 2 days squat, one day off.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »
Took a few days break and was in the gym today. Tweaked my back a little. It is really starting to wear on me now. Everytime I start to pick up some momentum I seem to hurt it again  :'( Going to the physio on Thursday. Hopefully they can help

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2009, 07:04:52 PM »
Do you see a chiropractor regularly?  (Have I asked you that already?  :-\)
If not, you should find a good one.  Get a recommendation from an athlete or someone who trains alot. 

Oh and P.S.  I don't think that low intensity cardio like walking or biking will result in overtraining.  It may help you with recovery. 
:)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »
Some of the strongmen I have trained with swear by chiro and accupuncture. I always though they were bs but the guys that have had it, love it. If I ever get real bad I will give it a try. I was told that if you go to a school where they teach such things you can get it done cheap (~$15) and its supervised by a instructor so no worries about it going badly.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
I went to a guy that does the back stuff. Not sure if he was a chiropracter as such. I think he was. Stretched me out and had me breath a certain way as he applied force to my back. My back cracked a lot and very easily. He said I had some facet locking in my lower back. It helped temporarily. I feel I need to get to the root of the problem, which I'm pretty sure now is some sort of ligament damage. When I lean forward it feels like the bones on the right side of my back are closer to the surface of the skin, either because they are protruding more or because I've had muscle atrophy. When I palpate it I can also feel some sort of gristly material which I'm assuming to be scar tissue.

I am also worried I'm maybe getting a little sciatica. The other day I felt a slight tingle down my right glute. Nothing since that though, so I'm hoping for the best. I'll give an update on the physio tomorrow. I think I will try and find a recommended chiropractor. I know a serious PLer who has had a lot of injuries in his time and offered to recommend me a few people a while back.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »
Went to the physio today. She had seen me a few months ago and so she appreciates that I haven't had much improvement. She had a look at me and seems to think there's something wrong in the sacro-iliac area. Possibly involving my pelvis as well. She doesn't think there's any disc involvement. I'm going to get referred for an x-ray.

If there is anything going on we will take it from there. Otherwise it looks like all I can do is try and strengthen the area. If that's the case then it will take ages before I lift anything respectable.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
Chiropractors can fix alot more than just your back... misalignments in the hips, pelvis, anything like that can be fixed.  I think that you really need to find a good chiro.  As you may be able to tell, I'm a huge believer.  I go to the chiropractor for the New England Patriots, and I swear to you, he is one of the main reasons that I am where I am today in terms of training and competing.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »
Chiropractors can fix alot more than just your back... misalignments in the hips, pelvis, anything like that can be fixed.  I think that you really need to find a good chiro.  As you may be able to tell, I'm a huge believer.  I go to the chiropractor for the New England Patriots, and I swear to you, he is one of the main reasons that I am where I am today in terms of training and competing.

I dunno, I see a chiro as a temporary solution. I know I'm skeptical, but imo and from my admittedly lesser experience chiros don't solve problems, rather allow some relief. For now I'm going to go with the x-ray and see what happens.

Also, bear in mind, (no disrepect) I'm from Northern Ireland and chiros seem relatively new here, thus it's very difficult to find someone who knows what they are doing and someone that I can also afford  :(

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2009, 06:15:18 PM »
Ok, so I went to see a manipulative therapist who was recommended to me by Jamie Burke, an awesome powerlifter with a lot of experience. I think the therapist practices a range of methods, but my point is he was highly recommended. I went and had instant relief. I haven't had back pain since. Unreal. I know where I will be going in future any time I get hurt again. I haven't posted about it until now because I didn't want to speak too soon. I think I will go and see him again next week just to keep an eye on things.

I'm delighted to be back training. Some of my strength is coming back along with a little size. It feels good. I have drug free nationals on the 18th of April. I only need to total 510 to qualify for the worlds seeing as I'm only a junior. I am going to try and hold back on my deadlift, so that means I'll be qualifying most of the weight with my squat and bench.

Alongside the weight training, I've been flipping a few tyres at a gym near me. My back feels that much better. I never would have dreamt doing this any time in the last 10 months. I'm still being careful though and I know not to get carried away.

At the moment I'm back training a couple of weeks and my working sets are 120kg squats, 100kg bench and 165kg deadlift. Small numbers I know, but safety first. Hopefully I'll be posting here more frequently and will have a few videos mid April.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Today I'm off training as it's St. Patrick's Day. All the gyms are closed over here.

Anyway, yesterday morning I got up to train at 0630 before I headed to uni.

Squat
Bar
60kg
80kg
100kg
120kg
140kg
Add belt 160kg
180kg x2
Belt off and sets with 120kg
Felt easy enough. I'm happy now that I can put up the squat I need on the 18th of April.

Deadlifts
100kg
140kg
160kg
170kg for 3s
Again, felt good and I can really feel that the lower back work I'm putting in is playing a part. Towards the top of the lift it just feels like my back is unwinding and feels really secure.

After this it was hypers and abs.

Currently weigh 110.9kg in shorts, t-shirt and converse.

Yesterday was a looong day. I got home from a few hours in the hospital at 1600 after being in the dissection room in the morning. Then I was back to the hospital and in A&E for 2000 until about 0130. It was kinda boring last night, though I did put my first shoulder back in. Easier than I thought.

Got up late today and now it's back to my dissertation. Training again tomorrow morning and then on Thursday with a few of the guys from Lisburn.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
good to see that your back!

even with taking it easy your lifts are still good.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
WOW, great news about your back!  I hope things keep heading in the right direction for you!  :)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Thanks guys, I'm just hoping I get a good run of injury-free training now  :)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Thanks guys, I'm just hoping I get a good run of injury-free training now  :)

No such thing. ;D Good training=injuries. The hard truth. :(

burn2live

• Getbig IV
No such thing. ;D Good training=injuries. The hard truth. :(

You're heartless :'(

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
You're heartless :'(

I thought I would take it easy for a while and let myself heal. Even then I end up busting my knee due to a weakly secured aparatus. For me the injuries just pile on no matter what the training....lately.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
I thought I would take it easy for a while and let myself heal. Even then I end up busting my knee due to a weakly secured aparatus. For me the injuries just pile on no matter what the training....lately.

Injuries do seem to come in clusters. My first year of training I was free from serious injury, then this second year of training has really just been injury  :(

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Injuries do seem to come in clusters. My first year of training I was free from serious injury, then this second year of training has really just been injury  :(

My training was great for about 4 years I'd say. Then I became obsessed with strength and it was all downhill from there. ;)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
My training was great for about 4 years I'd say. Then I became obsessed with strength and it was all downhill from there. ;)

Yeh, strength is the downfall of many. lol

Today I was up in Lisburn training with some of the powerlifters up there. Some strong mofos.

Squats 122.5kg felt a bit heavier than I had hoped, I think because my back is hurting a bit today.

Bench
Bar x20
40kg x15
60kg x10
80kg x6
100kg x3 Here I just took a notion to keep it going and see where I am
120kg x1
125kg x1
130kg x1
135kg x1
140kg x1
145kg x1 Equalled my pb. WTF? I haven't benched over 100kg in months. Really not quite sure where this came from. Maybe my man strength is developing??

Reverse hypers and hypers to finish it off. Will probably do some abs and crush grip work this evening. All in all, quite optimistic after this. 510 is going to be a piece of piss  8)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
looking good bro keep fighting the good fight.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
looking good bro keep fighting the good fight.

Cheers man

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Power Jerk
60kg x 5
82.5kg 3x5

DB Military Press (Feet together)
Progressing these very slowly seeing as my delts are weak as piss and the dumbells go up in 2.5kg jumps, a cumulative 5kg jump.
22.5kg 4x5

I just threw some tri work in here. Some push downs and the like. I think next time I'm going to throw in close grip bench and work on the triceps pressing rather than extending. I really need to work on my triceps and delts. I think some boards and band work are needed to improve the mid-point of my bench.

Had a check up on the back the other day and it's all good  8)