Author Topic: AutoCAD:  (Read 2447 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
AutoCAD:
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone is in this field and could answer some general questions I have.

Thanks.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: AutoCAD:
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »
Not an expert here, but no harm in asking.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:40:31 AM »
Thanks.
Most of my question(s) are career related.

Someone informed me recently that there’s a somewhat high demand (and a better salary being offered) for CAD drafters in my region, and they recommended I look into it.
I was curious what kind of education or training people who are in this line of work possess.

From my own research, it seems that some people have an Associates or some kind of certificate from a technical school, while others just have general knowledge of CAD with other experience in the industry for which they do the design work (i.e. plumbing, architecture, etc.).

I guess I’m just trying to get a feel for how most people get into this field.

I have a Bachelors degree now.
If there’s one or two classes I can take – even at maybe a community college – I wonder how much that would increase my chances of getting a drafter position.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
Professional learning of AutoCAD is certainly the best option, but in today's world (well maybe not with all the financial shit going on) it is possible to be self taught, if you have the skills, you have the skills, if you can demonstrate them and already hold a degree then that's all you should need.

Engineering themed education is certainly a plus no doubt.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »
Yeah.
I suspect that context plays a part as well.
Some industries are more intensive and will require more than just an adequate understanding of the software – they’ll want you to have industry-related experience.

I have a potential lead with a company near me.
It sounds as if they are desperate to find anyone who simply knows how to draft.
From what I’ve heard – around here – the supply of drafters is short and the demand is great.

That could be good news for me.
Thanks for the input.