Author Topic: Romney says his Mormon tithing shouldn’t be public [why he won't release his tax  (Read 350 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Washington • Mitt Romney says in a new interview that one of the reasons he’s distressed about disclosing his tax returns is that everyone sees how much money he and his wife, Ann, have donated to the LDS Church, and that’s a number he wants to keep private.

"Our church doesn’t publish how much people have given," Romney tells Parade magazine in an edition due out Sunday. "This is done entirely privately. One of the downsides of releasing one’s financial information is that this is now all public, but we had never intended our contributions to be known. It’s a very personal thing between ourselves and our commitment to our God and to our church."

Romney has released his 2010 tax returns in his White House campaign and, so far, a summary of last year’s tax information. But despite pressure from Republican opponents in the primaries and President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign, Romney has refused to disclose more.

While it may not be a major reason, Romney says disclosing his charitable donations isn’t something he wants to do.

Read more: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/54744938-90/romney-says-church-tithing.html.csp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now he's hiding behind his religion. 

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
It's not hiding behind his religion - he was a Mormon Bishop. I believe you have to be pretty hardcore about your religion to become a Bishop. I'm not sure if you know any Mormons (I know a few) or have ever investigated Mormonism (I have), but Mormons are a very private bunch. This is a very reasonable explanation from the Romney camp.

Now that this bullshit is over with, can we get back to discussing Obama's failure to deliver economic growth, lower unemployment, and a plan to balance the budget?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
This claim makes no sense

first of all, his father was also a Mormon and no doubt tithed and it didn't seem to be an issue for him

second, if this was an issue for Romney then why did he release his 2010 returns since that shows how much he gave to his church

third, we all know he tithes (he and his wife have reminded us many times) so why would we care how much and if anything it might make him look more favorable to some voters

fourth - why is he only mentioning this as a reason now?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
first of all, his father was also a Mormon and no doubt tithed and it didn't seem to be an issue for him

I didn't realize that everyone of the same religion was exactly the same in all aspects of thought and behavior.

second, if this was an issue for Romney then why did he release his 2010 returns since that shows how much he gave to his church

Maybe to comply with the tradition of Presidential candidates releasing some of their tax returns.

third, we all know he tithes (he's reminded us many times) so why would we care how much and if anything it might make him look more favorable to some voters

Knowing that he tithes and knowing how much he tithes are two very different things. And I believe that the entire point is to NOT be boastful of how much one donated to the Church - Christianity teaches self-loathing and to avoid being proud of yourself.

fourth - why is he only mentioning this as a reason now?

Maybe because he's been busy focusing on things that actually matter - like the economy and the government's coming fiscal disaster.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I didn't realize that everyone of the same religion was exactly the same in all aspects of thought and behavior.

Maybe to comply with the tradition of Presidential candidates releasing some of their tax returns.

Knowing that he tithes and knowing how much he tithes are two very different things. And I believe that the entire point is to NOT be boastful of how much one donated to the Church - Christianity teaches self-loathing and to avoid being proud of yourself.

Maybe because he's been busy focusing on things that actually matter - like the economy and the government's coming fiscal disaster.

oh brother, yes I'm sure Romney is not releasing more of his returns because it would boastful about his tithing

you can't be serious about that or anything else you've written

Romney has been asked for his tax returns since the time he ran as governor and this is the first time he's brought up his tithing as an excuse

I honestly can't believe your bullshit detector didn't go off on that one