Author Topic: Why Pedophiles Deserve Life In Prison. No Parole.  (Read 1522 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Why Pedophiles Deserve Life In Prison. No Parole.
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
Just a tragic case.  Heard on the Nancy Grace show that they raped the kid before murdering him.  That the father, or the convicted sex offender son, held the kid down while the other raped him: 

"BROSNAN: First of all, I was a South Bronx detective for a long time, saw a ton of bad things. This is a really, really bad one. Mommy is charged in the indictment in count nine for masturbating while the father had anal and oral sex with the 6-year-old boy. It gets worse. Just when you didn`t think it could get worse -- and the son, the registered sex offender, was holding the kid down. They should burn in Hell for this one. "

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0703/21/ng.01.html

>:(

That such evil people are living among us, and anywhere near our children, is frightening. 

Prosecutor wants death penalty for boy's slaying
POSTED: 4:17 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2007
Story Highlights• NEW: Child molester, parents, indicted in slaying of Georgia boy
• NEW: Prosecutor says he will seek the death penalty
• Body of Christopher Barrios, 6, found in trash bag on side of road
• Slain boy and suspects were trailer park neighbors
Adjust font size:
SAVANNAH, Georgia (AP) -- A convicted child molester and his parents were indicted Wednesday on charges they molested and then murdered a 6-year-old neighbor boy, whose body was found last week in a trash bag dumped by a roadside.

Glynn County District Attorney Stephen D. Kelley said he will seek the death penalty against George David Edenfield, 32, who has a prior child molestation conviction from 1997, and his parents, David and Peggy Edenfield.

A friend of the Edenfield family, Donald Dale, was indicted on charges of concealing a body and tampering with evidence.

The boy, Christopher Michael Barrios, was missing for a week before police found his body last Thursday. The body was in a black trash bag dumped near a roadside about three miles from his home on the outskirts of Brunswick, a port city in southeastern Georgia.

"They deserve the worst, for them to torture my son like that, every last one of them," said Mike Barrios, Christopher's father.

Authorities have not released many details about the case, including how the child was killed or how long his abductors might have kept him alive. Other charges against the Edenfields include false imprisonment, cruelty to children and enticing a child for indecent purposes.

Police have described George David Edenfield as mentally slow, but not retarded and capable of understanding right from wrong.

Edenfield had to register as a sex offender in Georgia. He and his parents lived across the street from Christopher's grandmother and less than 600 feet from where the kindergartner met his school bus.

A Georgia law passed last year prohibits registered sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of a school bus stop. That would have barred the younger Edenfield from living so close, but a pending lawsuit prompted a federal judge last year to block that provision from taking effect.

George David Edenfield pleaded guilty in 1997 to molesting two boys, ages 7 and 9. Prosecutors said he rubbed his clothed body "in a sexual manner" against the boys, who also were fully dressed. He was sentenced then to 10 years on probation.

His father pleaded guilty to incest in 1994. He was accused of having sex with an adult relative; the relative was not his son.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/21/missing.boy.ap/index.html

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Why Pedophiles Deserve Life In Prison. No Parole.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:47:33 PM »
Problem is that a lot of convicted child rapists are proven to be innocent.

It's fairly easy to get a conviction in a child sex assault trial, and the demands for evidence and good testimonials are way lower than in regular cases.

If you have any suggestion on how to remedy this, I think a discussion on the sentencing of pedophiles could be discussed.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »
Problem is that a lot of convicted child rapists are proven to be innocent.

It's fairly easy to get a conviction in a child sex assault trial, and the demands for evidence and good testimonials are way lower than in regular cases.

If you have any suggestion on how to remedy this, I think a discussion on the sentencing of pedophiles could be discussed.

-Hedge

Overstatement Hedge.  Are you talking about convicted child rapists in the U.S.?  Criminal convictions are rarely overturned in this country. 

I would agree that fondling cases are very difficult.  But rape?  Not that difficult to prove. 

I'm not a violent person but I would be willing to flick the switch on the electric chair myself for the animals that "allegedly" raped and murdered this poor kid.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:05:07 AM »
Overstatement Hedge.  Are you talking about convicted child rapists in the U.S.?  Criminal convictions are rarely overturned in this country. 

I would agree that fondling cases are very difficult.  But rape?  Not that difficult to prove. 

I'm not a violent person but I would be willing to flick the switch on the electric chair myself for the animals that "allegedly" raped and murdered this poor kid.   

True that they are rarely overturned.

But that says more about the justice system than anything else IMO.

Take that legal project that were looking into people on death row, someone posted about it here awhile ago. Was it 14 innocents that were found from that one legal project?

If the justice system is flawed at the highest level (death penalty), why should there be any better control and less flaws in lesser crimes?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:09:12 AM »
Let me just add that we've had a recent awakening in Sweden as far as incest and child rape cases goes.

During the late 80's and 90's, everyone was hysterical about these crimes, and you could get anyone convicted, it's been compared to the witch hunt of the medieval times.

Recently, this has all been brought out, and it's not a pretty site. These are terrible crimes, and not all are innocent of course, far from it.

But the problem is that it's been so easy to get a conviction in these types of cases.

Ask someone who works as a lawyer or similar. I think he'll agree.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »
True that they are rarely overturned.

But that says more about the justice system than anything else IMO.

Take that legal project that were looking into people on death row, someone posted about it here awhile ago. Was it 14 innocents that were found from that one legal project?

If the justice system is flawed at the highest level (death penalty), why should there be any better control and less flaws in lesser crimes?

-Hedge

I think I posted the info about the Innocence Project.  Those are the rare exception.  A handful of convictions are overturned, while the lion's share are not.  We do not have a mistake-free system.  We never will.  But that doesn't mean we shouldn't punish people.  I have no trouble at all locking up pedophiles and throwing away the key.  They are a special class of criminal. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:51:42 AM »
Let me just add that we've had a recent awakening in Sweden as far as incest and child rape cases goes.

During the late 80's and 90's, everyone was hysterical about these crimes, and you could get anyone convicted, it's been compared to the witch hunt of the medieval times.

Recently, this has all been brought out, and it's not a pretty site. These are terrible crimes, and not all are innocent of course, far from it.

But the problem is that it's been so easy to get a conviction in these types of cases.

Ask someone who works as a lawyer or similar. I think he'll agree.

-Hedge

I don't know anything about the Swedish justice system, but convictions in the U.S. aren't easy.  The government has to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.  Must have unanimous jury verdict.  Cannot make the defendant testify. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:58:30 AM »
I think I posted the info about the Innocence Project.  Those are the rare exception.  A handful of convictions are overturned, while the lion's share are not.  We do not have a mistake-free system.  We never will.  But that doesn't mean we shouldn't punish people.  I have no trouble at all locking up pedophiles and throwing away the key.  They are a special class of criminal. 

The lion's share are not overturned.

But how many cases get the same kind of legal review that the Innocence Project brought?

If every legal case were scrutinized like through the Innocence Project, less wrongful sentencings would be made.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:02:28 AM »
I don't know anything about the Swedish justice system, but convictions in the U.S. aren't easy.  The government has to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.  Must have unanimous jury verdict.  Cannot make the defendant testify. 

Reason why I brought up the situation here in Sweden, is not so much a comparison of the legal systems, but that I believe that the pedophile rage is equally big in USA.

It's a witchhunt, with far less actual pedophiles than what media purports it to be.

And that Mark Foley... He's no pedo, just a criminal. The page was not pre-pubertal.

People needs to get their facts straight.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 01:07:05 AM »
The lion's share are not overturned.

But how many cases get the same kind of legal review that the Innocence Project brought?

If every legal case were scrutinized like through the Innocence Project, less wrongful sentencings would be made.

-Hedge

I think the Innocence Project uses DNA to help those wrongfully convicted of crimes.  My understanding is most of those alleged crimes are pretty old.

I agree the more safeguards in place, the less likely we are to convict an innocent person.  But I also believe most of the people who are charged and convicted in the U.S. are actually guilty.  I think most of the cases are as simple as they appear.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »
Reason why I brought up the situation here in Sweden, is not so much a comparison of the legal systems, but that I believe that the pedophile rage is equally big in USA.

It's a witchhunt, with far less actual pedophiles than what media purports it to be.

And that Mark Foley... He's no pedo, just a criminal. The page was not pre-pubertal.

People needs to get their facts straight.

-Hedge

Foley may or may not be a pedophile.  Even if the age of consent is 16, I think a man who is sexually attracted to a 16-year-old is probably attracted to 14, 12, and 10-year old too. 

I agree the fondling cases can be very problematic.  We had one here recently involving a dance teacher.  http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Mar/02/ln/FP703020355.html

We have another local high profile case with no physical evidence involving a coach.  http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/07/news/story02.html

These are hard cases.  Rape cases with physical evidence are not IMO. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:49:18 AM »
They deserve a quick execution. Life in prison is too good for them.
The House that Ruth built

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »
They deserve a quick execution. Life in prison is too good for them.

death is too easy.  life in prison with permanent solitary confinement.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:55:07 AM »
death is too easy.  life in prison with permanent solitary confinement.

Actually, life in prison in the general population would be better . . . .

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »
Actually, life in prison in the general population would be better . . . .

:)  yes, come to think of it....