Author Topic: Best anti-oxidant supplement  (Read 3433 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Best anti-oxidant supplement
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »
what do you recommend?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: Best anti-oxidant supplement
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
COQ10 would probably get my vote.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:57:33 PM »
get a combo product with Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C and Selenium and maybe some extra zinc, GNC carries some great ones and they're cheap.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
get a combo product with Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C and Selenium and maybe some extra zinc, GNC carries some great ones and they're cheap.

x2

If it floats your boat, pretty much any kind of berry is good for this.  Or eat blue or red grapes.  I eat that shit by the pound.  Low glycemic number, tastes sweet like candy, and works wonders for your circulatory system, etc.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
x2

If it floats your boat, pretty much any kind of berry is good for this.  Or eat blue or red grapes.  I eat that shit by the pound.  Low glycemic number, tastes sweet like candy, and works wonders for your circulatory system, etc.
exactly, i put grapes in my eggs and oatmeal in the mornings and they make a bland as hell meal almost like a treat.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »
COQ10 would probably get my vote.

I concur.

Panda as well.

Very few Americans eat enough berries.

8)

dustin

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
If I had to place my faith in just a few, I'd say COQ10, NAC, R-ALA (or K-R-ALA, etc).. but I like to have more antioxidants than just these. I take a few supplements that have green tea extract and some that also have EGCGs. One that I'm taking also has trans-resveratrol too.

We don't know very much about free radicals and all that, but these antioxidants do a lot more than what they're commonly known for. So I feel comfortable taking them. If I run out of them I don't rush out to buy them again, but I like keeping them there for peace of mind.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
I agree with Dustin, I think using several of them is the way to go and not to really narrow it down to the "best" of them.  COQ10 can be a little pricey, but I've found that buying it in bulk powder form and capping it myself cuts the cost down tremendously.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:59:05 PM »
Don't forget Resveratrol.
I am a big baby

ScottWelch

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
I agree with "Emmortal" get an assortment of them not just one. 

dustin

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
I agree with Dustin, I think using several of them is the way to go and not to really narrow it down to the "best" of them.  COQ10 can be a little pricey, but I've found that buying it in bulk powder form and capping it myself cuts the cost down tremendously.

Mhm. Often times you can find cheap antioxidants from reputable companies at health food stores and through online retailers. The bulk, powdered versions are the way I do a lot of them. My cap-m-quik was catching too much dust so I whipped up some anti oxidant conglomerate and it helps me sleep at night (literally - I use gaba in one version lol) :P

I don't usually buy expensive, eccentric ones like trans-res though. It can be pricey. But whenever there's a sale, the Filipino in me can't resist but to stock up.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »
Is there any noticeable benefit to taking anti-oxidants in the short term?  Personally I feel like it's all a placebo effect, I'm not denying they're good in the long run but am not convinced there is a difference between products in the short term.
It hasn't helped...

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:26 AM »
No supplement, berries! 

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »
what do you recommend?

Food.

Antioxidants are likely to show very poor performance when taken alone.

The effect of anti oxidants is still rather unknown, so i would say IF you take anti oxidants, take them together with good anti oxidant rich food like vegetables and fruit.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »
There are alot of good anti-oxidants out there. I don't think it is so much important that you're taking an anti-oxidant, as it is the ORAC value of the anti-oxidant you're taking. It may be an AO, but if it's ORAC value (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) is extremely low, ...what good does it do you?

For those who may not know, ORAC is a method of measuring antioxidant capacities of various foods.

I take Natural Fusion Daily Defense. It's a antioxidant drink mix with an ORAC value of 7000+ per serving.

It has at least 8 powerful antioxidants designed to help the body neutralize harmful free radical toxins and to protect sensitive organs like the lungs, liver, and kidneys. In addition, certain ingredients help support and stimulate the body's own natural detoxification process, supporting blood cleansing, toxin removal, and purging of heavy metals.

It comes packaged in convenient individual serving sized foil pouches that make them great for when we're on the go. Just pour into a bottle of water, shake it up, ...and we're all set.

ZERO calories,  ZERO carbs,  ZERO artificial flavours,  ZERO artificial colours.

It also has:
  • 1,670% of the RDA of Vitamic C
  •    250% of the RDA of Vitamin E
  •      40% of the RDA of Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
  •      40% of the RDA of Selenium

Plus additional fortification with extracts from broccoli sprouts, grape seed, and green tea.
Each serving provides Green Tea in amounts equivalent to more than 6 cups of brewed Green Tea

Studies at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston suggest that consuming fruits and vegetables with a high ORAC value value may help slow the aging process in both body and brain. These results have prompted a study facilitator, Ronald L Prior, to suggest that "the ORAC measure may help to define the dietary conditions needed to prevent tissue damage" and to issue the recommendation that adults consume high ORAC foods totaling 3000 - 5000 ORAC units per day. The average daily adult intact currently is 1200 - 1650 ORAC units.

w

suckmymuscle

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
what do you recommend?

Supplements or drugs? As for supplements, in terms of antioxidant power per miligram, I would say proanthocyanidines extract. You can get the antioxidant protection of the equivalent of 40 wild strawberries per capsule. As far as drugs, probaby some monoamine-oxidase B inhibitor, like l-deprenyl.

SUCKMYMUSCLE