Author Topic: Female 16 needs help getting started  (Read 3262 times)

Kate16

• Getbig I
Female 16 needs help getting started
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:09:51 AM »
Hello,

I am a 16 year old who never dieted or exercised on a regular basis. I have just finished my first year of athletics. I have noticed such a difference in my body since Jan when we started pre-season conditioning. Since I never played a sport before I was shocked at how I could not do certain things and other girls could. By the end of the season I was doing great compaired to earlier on. I don't want to go back to the flabby girl I was. As a beginner what are some things I need to know about eating right? How many calories should I eat? I want to start to work out and my dad said he would pay for a gym membership, but really don't know how to work out. Is there an exercise program on line I could use that would be reccomended for my age? Any help would be appreciated.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Female 16 needs help getting started
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
Hello,

I am a 16 year old who never dieted or exercised on a regular basis. I have just finished my first year of athletics. I have noticed such a difference in my body since Jan when we started pre-season conditioning. Since I never played a sport before I was shocked at how I could not do certain things and other girls could. By the end of the season I was doing great compaired to earlier on. I don't want to go back to the flabby girl I was. As a beginner what are some things I need to know about eating right? How many calories should I eat? I want to start to work out and my dad said he would pay for a gym membership, but really don't know how to work out. Is there an exercise program on line I could use that would be reccomended for my age? Any help would be appreciated.

So young, damn. At that age just do basic compound exercises and eat regularly with enough protein. I think you will make good progress that way. No one can tell you how many calories to eat, how would anyone know that? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Bench, Pull Ups, Squats, Deadlifts, Shoulder Press, Dips, Barbell curls...stick to the basics. Just concentrate on putting some mass without going crazy with the calories.
I hate the State.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Female 16 needs help getting started
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »
I was a gymnast for most of my childhood, and I started weight training in a gym when I was 15 years old.  You are definitely not too young to start, but you do need to learn the basics first. 

Like Deicide suggested, learning how to do basic exercises and eating healthy foods, and sticking to a consistent diet are all good ways to start.  It depends on your current weight and body fat composition too, in terms of how much food you would want to be taking in.  But starting with healthy eating and trying to eat several small meals a day is a good way to start.

If you join a gym, you may want to consider hiring a personal trainer from the gym to at least show you the ropes...how to use the machines, what exercises work for which muscle groups, how to put together good workouts, etc.  If you worked with a trainer for 3-4 workouts, you can get a general idea of how to train in the gym.  There's alot of learning that you can do on your own too if you are really interested in making this part of your lifestyle now and into the future. 

Check your PMs.  :)
:)