Author Topic: Radical Islam  (Read 104028 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Radical Islam
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
Great decision.  There needs to be a dialogue.  The public needs to be educated. 

King to Press On With Hearings on Radical Islam Despite Protests in New York
Published March 06, 2011
FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON -- Radical Islam poses a threat to the United States as a whole, but is particularly dangerous to American Muslims who are targeted by terror groups, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee said Sunday in defending upcoming hearings on radical Islam.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., is facing a backlash, including Sunday protests in New York, over his decision to hold hearings on the threat of Islamic radicalization. King said he's surprised the American-Muslim community is not embracing his hearings because they are the ones most victimized when radical elements infiltrate their communities.

"I've said time and again the overwhelming [majority] of Muslims are good Americans, but the threat is coming from their community and we have to find out why, how it is being done and how to stop it," he told Fox News. "We have an absolute obligation to investigate that."

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to the House, said that while it's proper to investigate radicalization, he thinks it is wrong to single out a religious minority.

"If we're going to talk about gang violence, I don't think it's right to talk about, you know, only the Irish community and the Westies. I think we talk about gang violence. I think, if we're going to talk about organized crime, it's not right to just talk about the Russian community," Ellison said during a Sunday appearance with King on CNN's "State of the Union."

However, Ellison, who will be participating in the hearings, added that it makes sense to talk to the Muslim community about how to "meet the challenge of public security" to prevent people like Anwar al-Awlaki, the American cleric who fled to Yemen, from reaching his tentacles into American-Muslim communities.

"I think it makes sense to talk about the Internet, confronting ideology of people like Anwar al-Awlaki. I think where he's trying to exploit and misuse Islam, we should counter him with what Islam really does say. And so I do think that there is a place for that. I just think it doesn't make sense to narrow in on a discreet, insular group that has already been the target of a certain amount of discrimination," Ellison said.

King said that among the witnesses testifying at his hearing are family members of two men who were radicalized -- one was murdered and one committed an act of violence. He said they will discuss how the imams at the mosques they attended were involved and will offer "telltale indicators" so people can be aware of radicalization efforts within their surroundings.

"Also, we'll see from witnesses how often they are told not to cooperate with the FBI, not to cooperate with the police, and, somehow, a wall of silence builds up and that is part of why I'm holding the hearings," King told Fox News.

King added that while German officials are labeling the murder of two American airmen at an airport in German "radical Islam," the U.S. State and Homeland Security departments have refused to call it terrorism.

"It was terrorism, obviously, and should be called that," King said. "An American soldier who is defending our country was shot overseas by an Islamist and if that isn't terrorism, I don't know what is."

King added that he has a good working relationship with DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano, but he doesn't know why the Obama administration isn't labeling the murder terrorism even as the president's national security adviser is preparing to give a speech on the administration's approach to countering domestic radicalization.

"I think my position on the administration is not as far apart as some might think. I'm just carrying their position to the logical conclusion," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/06/king-press-hearings-radical-islam-despite-protests-new-york/?test=latestnews

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Radical Islam
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »
There needs to be a dialogue. 

LOL!  Perhaps you've missed the last 10+ years of "dialogue" on radical islam. 

And they only react to "backlash" from a few irrelevant small powerless groups because they know ppl will donate $$$$.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
 ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
Recently read "The Looming Tower:  Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright.  Outstanding book.  Traces the history of Al Qaeda and the events leading up to 9/11.  If you want to know more about the ideology behind these people, I highly recommend it.   

http://www.amazon.com/Looming-Tower-Qaeda-Road-Vintage/dp/1400030846/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299444604&sr=1-1

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
LOL if this was august 2001, I'd say sure, we are overlooking the problem.

But today?  LOL I think the topic is being covered.  Again, it's just a ploy to get donations.  "look, the libs don't want us to talk about it - but with your campaign donation - we CAN get this dialogue out there!"

hahahaha it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
When does the spin stop w you? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
When does the spin stop w you? 

we both know that i'd cap 5 terrorists, eat a ham sandwich, then cap ten more. 

you can hardly call me a sympathizer LOL... I'm all for tortuing and sinking the SOBs. 

But i see a lot of people in office like Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.....  holding hearings "to see if we're talking enough about radical islam".   He's on FOX news doing it.  he's appealing to his base.  Same way all the repubs in the house haven't touched creating new jobs, but they're on their 4th abortion bill since taking over in Jan. 

He's appealing to his base for donations.  It's that simple.  Of course there's a threat, and we're spending a shitload of $ to stop it - obama spending more than bush on the war on terror, correct?  ;)

So in this case, the guy is grandstanding for donations to his FOX viewer base.  Nothing more.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
we both know that i'd cap 5 terrorists, eat a ham sandwich, then cap ten more. 

you can hardly call me a sympathizer LOL... I'm all for tortuing and sinking the SOBs. 

But i see a lot of people in office like Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.....  holding hearings "to see if we're talking enough about radical islam".   He's on FOX news doing it.  he's appealing to his base.  Same way all the repubs in the house haven't touched creating new jobs, but they're on their 4th abortion bill since taking over in Jan. 

He's appealing to his base for donations.  It's that simple.  Of course there's a threat, and we're spending a shitload of $ to stop it - obama spending more than bush on the war on terror, correct?  ;)

So in this case, the guy is grandstanding for donations to his FOX viewer base.  Nothing more.

You would do nothing of the sort. Your a spineless liberal coward with a small weiner who hates America.

newmom

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »
You would do nothing of the sort. Your a spineless liberal coward with a small weiner who hates America.

oh hello dur ding bat ;D. I see you still biting your tongue ;)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
oh hello dur ding bat ;D. I see you still biting your tongue ;)

Better to bite it than do other inappropriate things with it  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
lol.  You guys crack me up.   :)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »

240 would tip his cowboy hat forward, narrow his gaze - the look of Satan himself on his face - as his favorite sex object (his right hand) creeps toward the .45 he keeps against his back while he mouthes the word "No" at the terrorists.

I think he'd do it. After all, his brother capped a dude. And he plays the guitar. That makes 240 hardcore.

newmom

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
Better to bite it than do other inappropriate things with it  ;)

tsk tsk the things you say :o :o :o :o :o ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
240 would tip his cowboy hat forward, narrow his gaze - the look of Satan himself on his face - as his favorite sex object (his right hand) creeps toward the .45 he keeps against his back while he mouthes the word "No" at the terrorists.

I think he'd do it. After all, his brother capped a dude. And he plays the guitar. That makes 240 hardcore.

hahahahaha th'ats badass.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
Peter King says U.S. Muslims giving radicals a pass
SUNDAY, 13 MARCH 2011 08:01

If you ask New York Republican Peter King what he thinks about going to work every day, he'll tell you it's 9/11 and preventing another 9/11. "There were too many people I knew," he said.

King is determined to use his powerful post as House Homeland Security Committee chairman to hold a hearing on what he calls radicalization of Muslims in the United States.

The fact that he is singling out the Muslim-American community has ignited protests and anger against him, and accusations of bigotry. He has even been compared to Sen. Joseph McCarthy, who used a congressional gavel he wielded in the 1950s to go on a Communist witch hunt.

"I have no choice, I have to hold these hearings, these hearings are absolutely essential," said King. "There are elements in that community that are being radicalized, and I believe that the leadership, the leaders of that community, do not face up to that reality.”

King once had a close bond with leaders in the Muslim-American community. In the 1990s, he broke with fellow Republicans and backed President Bill Clinton's military efforts in the Balkans to defend Muslims there.

Though the Muslim community in his mostly blue-collar Long Island district is small, CNN reports King had close relationships with Muslim leaders — he even attended a ribbon-cutting at a local mosque.

The Pew Research Center estimates the Muslim population in America to be about 2.5 million. As research by Charles Kurzman, professor of sociology at the University of North Carolina points out, from 2001 to 2010, the total number of Muslim-American terrorism suspects and perpetrators rests at a mere 161 individuals (or 0.00006 percent). In 2010, there were actually more terrorist plots carried out by non-Muslims in the United States.

Yet according to the Washington Post, a Congressional Research Service report says there were 22 arrests of violent jihad suspects from May 2009 to November 2010, compared with 21 in the previous seven years.

In opening his congressional hearing on Thursday, the Los Angeles Times reports King forcefully pushed back against critics who contend his inquiry demonizes an entire community and threatens national security.

"Today, we must be fully aware that homegrown radicalization is part of Al Qaeda's strategy to continue attacking the United States," King said. "Al Qaeda is actively targeting the American Muslim community for recruitment."

King cited the plots to bomb Times Square and the subways in New York, as well as the shootings in 2009 at Ft. Hood, Texas, among others, as examples.

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), a Muslim, said that King was assigning "collective blame to a whole group" and was "stereotyping and scapegoating."

Hedieh Mirahmadi, a Muslim activist who works to promote moderate Islam, said she also saw the hearings as a chance for a useful dialogue that might reveal lessons for both Muslims and other Americans.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/peter-king-says-us-muslims-giving-radicals-a-pass

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
King has been scoring kos all week.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »
Little Backlash When Schumer Led Probe of U.S. Muslims
By Devlin Barrett

Democrats and other critics lined up to lambaste Rep. Peter King’s recent congressional hearing about the radicalization of Muslims in the U.S. The effort, they charged, was really an attempt by the Republican lawmaker to scapegoat a religious minority.

Lost amid the partisan bickering was the fact that King’s hearing mirrored a previous inquiry launched by New York’s most powerful Democrat in congress: Sen. Charles Schumer.

King and Schumer have worked closely on security matters for years, regardless of which party controlled Congress or the White House. In recent weeks, however, King’s focus on security has been more of a solo act. The Long Island Republican, who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, pushed forward with the hearing on Muslims despite vociferous complaints that it was unfair.

Democrats called it a witch hunt. Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota, who is Muslim, broke down in tears as he testified before King. When it was all over, King called it a productive hearing and said he would have another — probably on Islamic radicalization in U.S. prisons — in the coming months.

That is a topic that has been of keen interest to Schumer. Back in 2003, the New York Democrat led a congressional push for an investigation of what he said was a problem of Islamic radicals infiltrating U.S. prisons and the military.

Schumer pressed for — and got — a congressional hearing on the subject. He argued at the time that a thread of Islamic thought based in Saudi Arabia, called Wahhabism, was reaching dangerously deep into American institutions. Schumer wanted to look at two separate but related areas: the religious chaplains chosen to minister to members of the U.S. military, and the chaplains approved to serve the prison population.

“The Wahhabi presence in the United States is a foreboding one that has potentially harmful and far-reaching consequences for our nation’s mosques, schools, prisons and even our military,’’ Schumer said in testimony before a Senate Judiciary subcommittee at the time. “My worry is that by not heeding these signs, we are once again letting those who hate freedom recruit disciples in our country who may potentially do us harm.’’

The criticism of  Schumer’s inquiry was far more muted. While a few voices in the Muslim American community spoke out against the hearings, big forces like the Council on American-Islamic Relations stayed out of the fray.

Despite Schumer’s work on a similar issue, his fellow Democratic lawmakers, including some from his own state, angrily object to King’s hearings last week — even drawing comparisons to Sen. Joseph McCarthy’s infamous anti-communist crusade in the 1950s.

Rep. Yvette Clarke, a Brooklyn Democrat, compared last week’s hearing to a reality-television show and said she was appalled by the lack of substance. Radicalism, she argued, also exists in Christianity and Judaism, as well as Islam.

“I know because I represent all three faiths. To see us come to this day where we are pointing fingers at one another — I don’t see the benefit in it,’’ she said.

Through a spokesman, King declined to comment on the similarities between his radicalization hearings and the one where Schumer testified in 2004 2003.

Schumer said in a statement that times had changed since he explored those issues. “When we first raised this, imams were granted chaplain position with virtually no scrutiny. The system has made great strides since then,’’ the senator said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations has emerged as one of King’s biggest critics this time around. The group sees a big difference between him and Schumer, despite their similar hearings and concerns.

In 2009, King said that while the majority of Muslims in America are good people, “there’s also no doubt the Muslim leadership does not come forward, does not feel an obligation to cooperate with law enforcement.’’ Corey Saylor, CAIR’s national legislative director, pointed to that remark in arguing that King’s approach “is predicated on anti-Muslim comments and false allegations.’’

In other words, it’s not simply that King’s hearing on Muslim radicalization offended his critics. For those critics, King himself is viewed with a degree of suspicion that Schumer did not face.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/03/16/when-schumer-led-probe-of-u-s-muslims/?mod=google_news_blog

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
A leftist's probe of Islam = paying homage to IslamoNazi supremacism.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Rep. Peter King to hold hearing on death of bin Laden
By: CNN's Rebecca Stewart

(CNN)-House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King will hold a hearing on how the death of Osama bin Laden impacts homeland security in one week, according to written statement on his website.

"The national conversation has revolved around details emerging from the killing of Bin Laden by U.S. Special Operations Forces," he said.

To build on that conversation, King pledged to examine the consequences and benefits resulting from the death of "al Qaeda's founder and top leader." Specifically, King will focus on "the security of our homeland" in the near and long-term.

The ten-term Republican congressman from New York also added a warning. King noted that the successful mission in Pakistan simultaneously represents a "victory in our war against al Qaeda" as well as "increased risk of retaliatory attacks against America."

He drew heavy criticism from the Muslim community in early March for holding hearings on the radicalization of Muslim Americans. Democratic Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to congress, gave emotional testimony during the hearing.

A list of invited witnesses includes two CNN analysts, Peter Bergen and Frances Townsend, and MSNBC terrorism analyst Evan F. Kohlman.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/17/rep-peter-king-to-hold-hearing-on-death-of-bin-laden/#more-159530

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
And to think some people have actually questioned whether terrorism is a threat.   :-\

Al Qaeda Considered Targeting Oil Tankers
Published May 20, 2011
FoxNews.com

Al Qaeda was looking at ways last year to target oil tankers at sea in order to hurt Western economies, the U.S. government said in an intelligence update to local officials.

The information apparently came from the trove of files in Usama bin Laden's Pakistan compound.

There is no intelligence pointing to a specific plot or threat, and so far the Obama administration does not plan to issue a special alert. Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matthew Chandler said the U.S. remains at a "heightened state of vigilance," and continues to conduct random screenings and monitor information "pertaining to threats against the maritime and energy sectors."

"We are not aware of indications of any specific or imminent terrorist attack plotting against the oil and natural gas sector overseas or in the United States. However, in 2010 there was continuing interest by members of Al Qaeda in targeting oil tankers and commercial oil infrastructure at sea," Chandler said in a statement.

He said it is "unclear" whether Al Qaeda conducted any more planning regarding such targets since mid-2010. He said DHS and FBI sent out the intelligence note to "provide greater insights into Al Qaeda's interest in targeting oil and natural gas infrastructure."

In the confidential warning obtained by The Associated Press, the FBI and the Homeland Security Department said that Al Qaeda sought information on the size and construction of oil tankers, and determined that blowing them up from the inside would be easiest due to the strength of their hulls. Al Qaeda recommended test runs of the plot.

The government warning went to federal, state and local law enforcement and companies in the oil and gas industries.

In 2007, the Japanese tanker the Golden Nori was hijacked carrying 40,000 tons of benzene. Initially, American intelligence agents worried terrorists from Somalia's Islamic extremist insurgency could be involved, and might try to crash the boat into an offshore oil platform or use it as a gigantic bomb in a Middle Eastern port. When the Japanese vessel was towed back into Somali waters and ransom demanded, the coalition was relieved to realize it was a pirate attack.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/20/al-qaeda-considered-targeting-oil-tankers/

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »
he's appealing to his base.  Same way all the repubs in the house haven't touched creating new jobs, but they're on their 4th abortion bill since taking over in Jan. 

GOOD POST

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »
Interesting site:  http://www.radicalislam.org/

An excerpt:

Radical Islam is not merely an extreme version of Islam. Rather, it is a cultural-social ideology dominating all aspects of life. Like many violent totalitarian movements, its primary objective is to dominate all those within its reach and suppress all other ideologies, movements, and beliefs in its path.

In short, Radical Islam is dedicated to the conquest of the world, by any means possible.

Radical Islam draws on widely accepted Islamic religious philosophy and customs. However the movement also draws heavily on dangerous ideas that negate basic human rights and freedoms of expression.

Not all Muslims are radical, and not all Muslims are politically motivated. In fact, most are not. However, when Muslims adopt a politically motivated, radical ideology, the whole world is at risk.

Radical Islam's arsenal is diverse and dangerous. Terrorism is only one of the tactics used by radicals, with new tactics arising everyday. Some are more subtle such as the use of textbooks, while others are outright violent, such as terrorizing those who embrace freedom of speech.

The picture is chilling. We are at a crucial juncture. We can continue in this way, hoping for change, but we must know that by doing so, we risk losing the freedoms for which we have fought so hard.

Or, we can get involved and stop Radical Islam's march on our civilization. We urge you to inform yourselves, speak up and get active.

http://www.radicalislam.org/section/understanding-radical-islam

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
 :-[

EXCLUSIVE: New Details Emerge of Radical Imam's Lunch at the Pentagon

With the recent death of Usama bin Laden, the life of another Al Qaeda-linked radical Muslim cleric is taking on greater significance, and documents obtained exclusively by Fox News and its Specials Unit shed new light on his stint as a guest speaker at the Pentagon just months after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, the first American on the CIA's kill or capture list, is still considered a grave threat to U.S. national security. He now is hiding out in Yemen, where earlier this month a U.S. missile attack tried to kill him and his followers.

The scene was much different on February 5, 2002, when the radical imam was invited to and attended the Pentagon event.

Fox News obtained new documents through a Freedom of Information Act request as part of a year-long investigation called "Fox News Reporting: Secrets of 9/11." An internal Department of Defense email that announced the event with Awlaki also laid out other details, like a proposed menu including pork, which is prohibited for Muslims. The email states "the chef will create something special for vegetarians."

The documents show that more than 70 people were copied on the invitation, which originated in the Defense Department's Office of the General Counsel. It is home to the Pentagon's top lawyer.

"I have reserved one of the executive dining rooms for February 5th, which is the date he (Awlaki) preferred," a defense department lawyer wrote in the e-mail announcing the event.

"He (Awlaki) will be leaving for an extensive period of time on February 11th."

The e-mail states that New Mexico born al-Awlaki was the featured guest speaker on "Islam and Middle Eastern Politics and Culture."

http://nation.foxnews.com/anwar-al-awlaki/2011/05/19/exclusive-new-details-emerge-radical-imams-lunch-pentagon

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
 ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
Why we try to reach out to these scum is beyond me.