Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > History - Stories - and Memories

GW - Professional Athlete

<< < (4/4)

knny187:

--- Quote from: 619Rules on December 11, 2005, 12:04:09 PM ---never heard the "Austrian Alp" before..."Austrian Oak", yes,.........

Back in the 1900's throgh say the 50'sall you ad for entertainment was boxing. Football and baseball were outdoor sports-

Football was not big back then and only a daytime sport, basketball was nothing, baseball was huge-bigger then than today- but again you played mainly during the day during the nice weather.

Boxing could be held anytime of the year b/c it was indoors........you had radio as the main medium back then and boxing goes good with radio.......

Shit-back as recently as when I was in high school in the late 70's you only had 3 TV stations and they all went off the air between midnight and 2 AM.......no TV at all from 2-6 AM, and that was not that long ago.......

Boxing is still shady today. I can think specifically of a Don King match, where he had named a  women judge in this big championship fight-can't recall who it was-and she voted for the guy that got his ass kicked all over the ring-obviously a fix.

If anyone remembers that fight post it....it was like the last 5-8 years...
Boxing

--- End quote ---

Listening to a bout on the radio can be just as exciting as watching it on tv

Flex 215:

--- Quote from: 619Rules on December 11, 2005, 12:04:09 PM ---never heard the "Austrian Alp" before..."Austrian Oak", yes,.........

Back in the 1900's throgh say the 50'sall you ad for entertainment was boxing. Football and baseball were outdoor sports-

Football was not big back then and only a daytime sport, basketball was nothing, baseball was huge-bigger then than today- but again you played mainly during the day during the nice weather.

Boxing could be held anytime of the year b/c it was indoors........you had radio as the main medium back then and boxing goes good with radio.......

Shit-back as recently as when I was in high school in the late 70's you only had 3 TV stations and they all went off the air between midnight and 2 AM.......no TV at all from 2-6 AM, and that was not that long ago.......

Boxing is still shady today. I can think specifically of a Don King match, where he had named a  women judge in this big championship fight-can't recall who it was-and she voted for the guy that got his ass kicked all over the ring-obviously a fix.

If anyone remembers that fight post it....it was like the last 5-8 years...
Boxing

--- End quote ---

I know there was a female judge in the Holyfield/Lewis fight that ended in a draw, the first one. I hate Lennox Lewis and loved Holyfield, but even I admit, Lewis won that fight.  He fought a smart but boring fight, as he would stick and move, using his large reach advantage. He never threatened to hurt or knockout Holyfield, who almost knocked out Lewis in the third, but Lennox fought an effective fight. The female judge said she was always told to give any close rounds to the champion, who was Holyfield, and that's what she did.
            At the turn of the century, and until the sixties, baseball was indeed the king of sports, but boxing and college football were big too. In the 20's, Babe Ruth and Jack Dempsey achieved superstar status ,as much as or more so , than any movie or radio star.

Dan-O:

--- End quote ---

D'oh!!!  :o

You got me dead to rights, don't know what I was thinking. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version