Author Topic: Squats and cervical bulging discs.  (Read 8601 times)

falco

• Getbig V
Squats and cervical bulging discs.
« on: January 17, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »
 I have bulging cervical discs from C7 to C4. I am on a recovery process. 38 yo.
 I have always been a fan of squats, only thing is i use a high bar position, wich i believe will harm the cervical vertebrae:

I never liked the low bar style but will it be the only way to keep stress out of the neck, sitting the weight solely on the dorsal vertebraes?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Squats and cervical bulging discs.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
Might suggest a Manta Ray squat pad. Or there are similar devices out there, search required.  The Manta Ray helps balance the bar/weight ratio much better.

Or, as a alternative, front squats which can hit the quads very well. Even BB Hacks. All kind of leg machines  around also.

If your in recovery and 38 years old, why the need for bar squats now, let the back heal to 100%.   Backs can be very tricky, when you think their ready for some serious stuff you might be in for a surprise.

Good Luck.
F

falco

• Getbig V
Re: Squats and cervical bulging discs.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
Thanks.
My heavy weights days are over, at least in this type of exercises.
I just get great results from squats, thats why i am not a fan of other leg work. Plus i felt very confortable doing them when my neck was ok. I used to do front squats but it agravated my shoulder tedinitis.