Author Topic: Random Bodybuilding Pics  (Read 5328536 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Random Bodybuilding Pics
« Reply #15925 on: July 07, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
It all depends how far someone bends their legs. Most do leg presses with little shallow knee bends. It takes a lot of effort to put the back board low and completely bend your legs with four plates. Anyone can pile on the plates even old ladies if they do shallow leg presses.

Very true, it's a typical ego exercise and most guys are rather weight driven than muscle-minded driven.

Another factor is that there isn't a gold standard for leg press machines. So far I've trained with at least 10 brands and all of them had different angles, platform weights/dimensions, mechanics, etc. I rarely perform them anymore and focus on deep squats, deadlifts, glute-ham raises and some leg curls, extentions & adductions as finishers.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #15926 on: July 07, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
Very true, it's a typical ego exercise and most guys are rather weight driven than muscle-minded driven.

Another factor is that there isn't a gold standard for leg press machines. So far I've trained with at least 10 brands and all of them had different angles, platform weights/dimensions, mechanics, etc. I rarely perform them anymore and focus on deep squats, deadlifts, glute-ham raises and some leg curls, extentions & adductions as finishers.

The best leg press I've ever used was the traditional style where you were on your back and the weights were above you on a stable platform and your pushed them up at a 90 degree angle.   That type is nowhere to be found now having been replaced with the ego-presses so prevalent among todays "lifters".

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15927 on: July 07, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
The best leg press I've ever used was the traditional style where you were on your back and the weights were above you on a stable platform and your pushed them up at a 90 degree angle.   That type is nowhere to be found now having been replaced with the ego-presses so prevalent among todays "lifters".

Man I would love to try a vertical leg press, but I never saw one over here in Europe :-\ I imagine that the tension is different because the platform is parallel with the floor.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #15928 on: July 07, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
 :)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15929 on: July 07, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #15930 on: July 07, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
Are they related to Jason Genova?

Paul DeMayo on the right

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15931 on: July 07, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
Paul DeMayo on the right

One of the most gifted white bodybuilders ever (but not in the face department ;D )

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #15932 on: July 07, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »

One of the most gifted white bodybuilders ever (but not in the face department ;D )

;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15933 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
8 plates = 720 pounds

Leg press machines aren't weightless.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15934 on: July 07, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
Leg press machines aren't weightless.

Yeah, but a leg press platform isn't 270 pounds, but rather 50 pounds or so

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15935 on: July 07, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »

I've used this type of leg press many decades ago when I worked out at Matt Dishman in Portland. Mike Christian also worked out there. He was a nice person, very friendly and easy to talk to.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15936 on: July 07, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
Yeah, but a leg press platform isn't 270 pounds, but rather 50 pounds or so

Although this varies. You are right however, it's unlikely that it weighs that much. Anyway, most people just count the weight of the plates. 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15937 on: July 07, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »
Although this varies. You are right however, it's unlikely that it weighs that much. Anyway, most people just count the weight of the plates. 

I do as well, but I always test a new machine with a light weight. If it feels good, then I try more, else I avoid it. In general older machines, say 20 years at least, feel best for me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15938 on: July 07, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
I do as well, but I always test a new machine with a light weight. If it feels good, then I try more, else I avoid it. In general older machines, say 20 years at least, feel best for me.

Have you ever done a warm up with 2 or 3 sets of 25 reps and fairly light weight. Talk about getting a burn!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15939 on: July 07, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
Have you ever done a warm up with 2 or 3 sets of 25 reps and fairly light weight. Talk about getting a burn!

Yes, I did high rep sets as well, but nothing compares with a high rep squat set.
In most cases. the DOMS last much longer when I perform free weight movements. I only rely on more machines when I'm very low in carbs or experience injuries, like my left shoulder.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15940 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »
Yes, I did high rep sets as well, but nothing compares with a high rep squat set.
In most cases. the DOMS last much longer when I perform free weight movements. I only rely on more machines when I'm very low in carbs or experience injuries, like my left shoulder.

Even since having knee surgery on my right knee, I've cut way back on weighted squats. Due to arthritis in my hands, my grip sucks, so I use a squat rack or a front squat machine for safety. At home I do 4 sets of 25 reps bodyweight squats going as low as possible.  

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #15941 on: July 07, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »

;D

whenever I see pics of Demayo I always think 2 things 1) why didn't he do better as a pro and 2) heroin must be a real bitch.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #15942 on: July 07, 2018, 03:38:47 PM »
whenever I see pics of Demayo I always think 2 things 1) why didn't he do better as a pro and 2) heroin must be a real bitch.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #15943 on: July 07, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15944 on: July 07, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
That's like a tricep doing doggy style with another tricep...

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15945 on: July 07, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
Paul DeMayo had incredible triceps.

some east coast guidos back in the day
DeMayo, rich gisrpesse, palumbo, matarozzo, frank sepe, etc etc

i cant think of any east ginnys anymore?

NJflex - help us out -

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #15946 on: July 07, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
Team Lean Face

T

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #15947 on: July 07, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
some east coast guidos back in the day
DeMayo, rich gisrpesse, palumbo, matarozzo, frank sepe, etc etc

i cant think of any east ginnys anymore?

NJflex - help us out -

Don't forget this guy

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #15948 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
Galanti,scalise,baretta,deangelis,

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15949 on: July 07, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »

You're right about the leg press and the different engineering among brands. I have a home unit and it's perfect. The unit in the commercial gym I go to is just made wrong and everyone complains about it.