Author Topic: Here are the best states for retirement this year 2021  (Read 2836 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
Re: Here are the best states for retirement this year 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 04:46:01 AM »
at last a thread that embodies the spirit and direction of this website
c

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:45:19 AM »
at last a thread that embodies the spirit and direction of this website

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 04:31:12 PM »
I moved to the Florida panhandle in July of 2020 and retired at the end of 2020. 10 mins from the beach and lots to do. So far it has been a great decision and I am enjoying life. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
I moved to the Florida panhandle in July of 2020 and retired at the end of 2020. 10 mins from the beach and lots to do. So far it has been a great decision and I am enjoying life. 

So many people moving to Florida.

Glad it is working for you.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 05:41:08 PM »
There are a lot of reasons to move to a different place or state when one retires. Quality of life, cost of living, taxes and climate being a few of them. I would like once again to live very near the ocean and in a place with fairly good weather like Florida.

However, real estate prices and low or low to no state income tax isn't an advantage to me. People sell their more expensive real estate and downside so they can invest the profits to have as additional income. My income is already more than I need to live well on and I am not negatively affected by the soaring real estate market because I bought my place a long time ago when real estate was much more reasonable. While I do pay state income tax, I get that money back because people who had PERS several years ago got a 'tax offset' to cover state income taxes, which public employees previous didn't have to pay. When those of us who qualify for the tax remedy move out of state, we lose the offset, which substantially lowers our benefits. So, moving somewhere like Florida taxwise would be a wash.   

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 11:47:24 AM »
I don't agree with any of the top 10.  Maybe Arizona if I lived in Flagstaff or Sedona.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »
I don't want to move anywhere with bad water, hurricanes, tornados, or giant cockroaches.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 12:37:42 PM »
I don't want to move anywhere with bad water, hurricanes, tornados, or giant cockroaches.

Rhino roaches (around 75mm long) make great pets, $ 100 pair !. Great rainforests workers !.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 02:12:53 PM »
Heat and humidity are no goes for me.  I hate sweating my balls off in the summer now.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 03:35:11 PM »
Heat and humidity are no goes for me.  I hate sweating my balls off in the summer now.

Same here.

Florida is heat, humidity and giant cockroaches...and bad water...and hurricanes...and sinkholes.

It's good in the winter though.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 02:28:19 AM »
Same here.

Florida is heat, humidity and giant cockroaches...and bad water...and hurricanes...and sinkholes.

It's good in the winter though.
Plus, too many old people, hillbillies and violent minorities.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 11:20:54 PM »
Moved to Florida in 2018. Moved to the beach near St. Pete 18 months ago and love it here. It does get humid in the summer but the beach and pool offsets it somewhat. Real estate has blown up in the last couple of years and our electric bill in the summer is around $350 for an 1950 sf 3 level condo. We really like it here but obviously it's not for everyone. I've looked at "best places to retire" lists for decades and lived in some places that made the top 5 and I usually disagreed with them. Austin? Yeah maybe 15-20 years ago...

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 03:40:41 AM »
Moved to Florida in 2018. Moved to the beach near St. Pete 18 months ago and love it here. It does get humid in the summer but the beach and pool offsets it somewhat. Real estate has blown up in the last couple of years and our electric bill in the summer is around $350 for an 1950 sf 3 level condo. We really like it here but obviously it's not for everyone. I've looked at "best places to retire" lists for decades and lived in some places that made the top 5 and I usually disagreed with them. Austin? Yeah maybe 15-20 years ago...

Florida is good if you are on the coast with a breeze.  The interior is brutal in the summer.

Prices are high now.

The humidity on the east coast from Connecticut down is bad during the summer.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
Florida is good if you are on the coast with a breeze.  The interior is brutal in the summer.

Prices are high now.

The humidity on the east coast from Connecticut down is bad during the summer.

Yeah I couldn't imagine toughing out the summers in Orlando... would be brutal.

On a side note... I had so many friends tell me about the palmetto ' cockroach bugs before I moved down here. I was anxious about it. I've seen 2 in 3 years.. must be the location

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Trainer of Champions
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 08:29:03 PM »
Best to have a Summer and a Winter Home

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 02:58:57 AM »
Best to have a Summer and a Winter Home