Author Topic: Brutally Unflexible  (Read 2776 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: Brutally Unflexible
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 05:37:41 AM »
flexibility is conditioning

the more you do it - the better you respond - i just can’t bring myself to stretch everyday - i’m a loser who has to work often 

hips and shoulders are key - you can pay people to stretch you now at specific places(like StretchZone) - never tried it but makes sense

I would rather pay someone to stretch me than some trainer - BUT there is no real certification, yet, maybe like some physio type

There's a joke there about gaping that I'm not going to make in a serious BB related thread...  (trying to be a better man)

Forced yoga - Parillo style - is the key.

Weider Overhead Glute Hams Anus To Moon pose helped Platz out tremendously too

Gah!  I'm only human!!!... ;D

T

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2021, 05:42:30 AM »
You should be able to put your palms on the ground and grab the back of your ankles bending over straight your forehead should touch your knees. Having a 50lb tire around your midsection is going to hurt your flexibility. You want to be more flexible lose 75lbs. I have had 7 orthopedic surgeries I have a herniated disc and whiplash from a dozen car wrecks. I can still grab the back of my ankles.

Take a yoga class after half a dozen classes you will know which stretches work for you and you can do them at home

"whiplash from a dozen car wrecks"?  You paying your bills with some kind of insurance scam?

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2021, 05:48:48 AM »
You should be able to put your palms on the ground and grab the back of your ankles bending over straight your forehead should touch your knees. Having a 50lb tire around your midsection is going to hurt your flexibility. You want to be more flexible lose 75lbs. I have had 7 orthopedic surgeries I have a herniated disc and whiplash from a dozen car wrecks. I can still grab the back of my ankles.

Take a yoga class after half a dozen classes you will know which stretches work for you and you can do them at home

Surely this sort of thing must be like a bat-signal for ESFitness?!?  I just don't understand how he's overcoming the urge to come and top bhanky ???
T

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 05:51:44 AM »
"whiplash from a dozen car wrecks"?  You paying your bills with some kind of insurance scam?

I race Dirt Cars

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »
You have to stretch everyday, also stop lifting for 2 months

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 10:27:06 AM »
Very sound advice / i will move the stuff I use to the bedroom and give this a shot.

Thank you.

Hope it's beneficial to you, bro. One other thing that I'll mention is that I added stretching back specifically for lower body flexibility, knee pain and lower back pain.  The two best things I've found are just static holds in a squat position that is slightly below comfortable and a static hold in a bending position (like trying to touch your toes) that is slightly past comfortable.   Was feeling a difference right after the first time I did these.  I don't know if you would consider those stretching, but not too long ago my idea of stretching was stuff that elongated the muscle, but it has switched to just getting  my body comfortable in position that cause my pain or discomfort.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 01:16:53 PM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2021, 01:40:55 PM »
at 55 now Im horribly unflexible. I can barely touch my knees let along my toes. Im thinking of getting into yoga for flexibility and thinking it may improvement heart health and overall health. Any geezers my age who are flexible and can comment on the benefits of it?

Take a few minutes throughout the day trying to touch your toes.

Simple.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2021, 03:18:59 PM »
No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart going
;D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 02:14:38 AM »
I race Dirt Cars

What kind of car is that? Specs?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 02:25:09 AM »
"Dynamic stretching" before working out. Swinging your legs back and forth from the front and back, side to side, touching toes up and down, swinging your arms overhead...

Do not do static stretching before training. When you elongate the muscle it is less stable and weaker. Think of a stretched-out rubber band. It's weaker due to less internal tension. There's a trade-off between mobility and stability. Shoulders are a very mobile joint compared to the elbow, but it is also more prone to injury.

Van B, as always, is right. It's not so much the muscle itself but the nervous system that is the limiting factor. Josh would be able to easily do a full split once he dies. But there is a reason and purpose why your body places limits on how much it will allow your muscles to stretch. Older muscle tissue is not as supple as young muscle.

Static stretching is best after a workout.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:33 AM »
"Dynamic stretching" before working out. Swinging your legs back and forth from the front and back, side to side, touching toes up and down, swinging your arms overhead...

Do not do static stretching before training. When you elongate the muscle it is less stable and weaker. Think of a stretched-out rubber band. It's weaker due to less internal tension. There's a trade-off between mobility and stability. Shoulders are a very mobile joint compared to the elbow, but it is also more prone to injury.

Van B, as always, is right. It's not so much the muscle itself but the nervous system that is the limiting factor. Josh would be able to easily do a full split once he dies. But there is a reason and purpose why your body places limits on how much it will allow your muscles to stretch. Older muscle tissue is not as supple as young muscle.

Static stretching is best after a workout.
You must have read Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 02:44:17 AM »
You must have read Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz.

Never heard of him.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 03:22:40 AM »
I'm really unflexible. I don't know if there are health benefits to flexibility. I know you don't want too much of it either.

One thing I've learned through my readings is that stretching basically does nothing to muscle or tendons really, they certainly don't get "longer." What happens with stretching when flexibility is increased is an adaptation in the nervous system instead. You kind of desensitize to the resistance to stretch, you don't feel the pain.

I get about half the range on the adductor machines compared to others in the gym. This is the machine that gives me the most uncomfortable DOMS out of all when I go back to it. I always make the mistake of going too hard. In pain, hard to walk, last time I was almost feverish the next day lol.

Several studies show a link between flexibility and cardiovascular health & mortality.  Stretching seems to reduce arterial stiffness, leading to lower blood pressure and all that.

Not stretching just turns you into an old man that grunts when he has to pick something up off the floor

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2021, 03:56:59 AM »

I bet you can still grab the back of your ankles.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2021, 04:58:34 AM »
I bet you can still grab the back of your ankles.

Yes it is called flexibility every athlete can do it. Yoga is no where near as gay as you actually sucking cock. Meanwhile we all know you can't because like the OP you are carrying an extra 50-75lbs of fat and are not even close to athletic

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2021, 05:14:30 AM »
Yes it is called flexibility every athlete can do it. Yoga is no where near as gay as you actually sucking cock. Meanwhile we all know you can't because like the OP you are carrying an extra 50-75lbs of fat and are not even close to athletic

Brutal...

...ly funny ;D
T

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2021, 05:21:18 AM »
Im actually a natural athlete. Football, baseball, and basketball. With basketball, I can shoot and play defense. Can't dribble worth a shit, so basically, I'm not good at creating my own shot off of a dribble. I'm a set shooter.

As far as football  and baseball....I had a world class arm. That is something you are born with.

Whenever I would throw a baseball or a football, people would want me to be a pitcher or quarterback. 

I liked playing 3rd, or in the outfield. I was one of the best hitters on my team.

For football, I played both ways in high school. 

I will always regret not giving it my all, when it came to sports. I loved it, and most of it came naturally to me.

To put it plain and simple...I quit on myself.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2021, 05:30:30 AM »
 Why is "grabbing the back of your ankles" a sign of flexibility? It literally takes no effort for most people to grab their ankles.

I don't get it. What are we comparing ourselves to, 90 year olds, or people that weigh 500 pounds?

Grabbing your ankles isn't an accomplishment.

Unless your gay, then it deserves a parade, a holiday, and a #metoo.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2021, 06:38:38 AM »
Im actually a natural athlete. Football, baseball, and basketball. With basketball, I can shoot and play defense. Can't dribble worth a shit, so basically, I'm not good at creating my own shot off of a dribble. I'm a set shooter.

As far as football  and baseball....I had a world class arm. That is something you are born with.

Whenever I would throw a baseball or a football, people would want me to be a pitcher or quarterback. 

I liked playing 3rd, or in the outfield. I was one of the best hitters on my team.

For football, I played both ways in high school. 

I will always regret not giving it my all, when it came to sports. I loved it, and most of it came naturally to me.

To put it plain and simple...I quit on myself.

What about the dribble down your chin?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »

Nominating this quote for the GB Quote Hall Of Fame.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2021, 07:38:36 AM »
Why is "grabbing the back of your ankles" a sign of flexibility? It literally takes no effort for most people to grab their ankles.

I don't get it. What are we comparing ourselves to, 90 year olds, or people that weigh 500 pounds?

Grabbing your ankles isn't an accomplishment.

Unless your gay, then it deserves a parade, a holiday, and a #metoo.

Since you don't stretch you don't understand you do this without bending the knees from a standing position its like putting your palms flat on the ground it is a further stretch than touching your toes

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »
Since you don't stretch you don't understand you do this without bending the knees from a standing position its like putting your palms flat on the ground it is a further stretch than touching your toes
I can do that easily. Being flexible, is being able to do a split, or those contortionists that wrap limbs around their necks. Not touching toes.  ::)

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2021, 03:29:35 PM »
The most important thing for longevity imo:

Sauna, steam room after training

Infrared and near infrared light

Yoga/Pilates

I want to be still doing splits at 60

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
The most important thing for longevity imo:

Sauna, steam room after training

Infrared and near infrared light

Yoga/Pilates

I want to be still doing splits at 60

I’ve always thought that the sauna and steam room after training is a bad idea. Your body temperature is already elevated and can increase it into the danger zone for stroke. PIP Zyzz